Panduit

Updated November 19, 2014
2.4

Panduit President Thomas C. (Tom) Donovan
Thomas C. (Tom) Donovan

Pros
  • The salary is competitive with the area and for me, it is close to home (in 19 reviews)

• Flex time before it was so severely restricted and regulated (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management has destroyed the culture in every country (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of communication, knee jerk reactionay management, poor work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

I worked at Panduit as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and easy to work with

Cons

Projects move slowly. Not the environment for fast paced work.

Up and Coming

Current Employee - Program Manager in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Panduit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for four months now and the change that is taking place is very exciting. The management here is very open to suggestions for improvement and change. I'm not hearing that old phrase "that's how we've always done it." Instead I'm hearing, "Those are great ideas. Lets get them implemented!"
    The people I work with are very helpful and the projects I am working on make me feel fulfilled.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there is not a "work-from-home" policy. This is one of those changes that will need to take place in the near future to attract talent to the suburbs. I strongly feel that this will take place soon.

Continue to stay open minded and embrace change as you have.

"We have a strategy, we just don't know what it is yet"

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Good benefits
    Easy commute (near large highways)
    Knowledgable peers
    Newer, clean facilities
    Excellent machine shop with streamlined processing
    40 hr work week, not expected to work more

Cons

Lack of vision (we have no idea what we want to be beside what we already are)
    Lack of strategy to execute vision (we have no idea how to do anything different)
    Upper Management is very cautious due to lack of strategy (doing what we have always done will keep the profits the same)
    Cautiousness kills innovation (very skeptical of anything different than the status quo)
    Cautiousness also results in shortsighted decisions
    These poor decisions include:
    Laying off the wrong people (simply based on salary)
    Promoting the wrong people (based on favoritism)
    Killing the wrong projects (for lack of vision)
    Promoting the wrong projects (because they're the most comfortable)
    The result of this are employees are afraid
    Employees are afraid to speak up
    Employees don't think their work is worthwhile
    This is why so many people are dissatisfied
    This is why young people are leaving in droves

Divest the company from the crippling grasp of the Caveney family. This is no longer Jack's company. Just let them cash out and let someone else run the show. Bring in a new CEO from outside the company. Figure out what you want Panduit to be and develop a strategy for how to make that happen. Communicate that strategy clearly to every employee. Growing profits cannot be the only goal. People need a mission. Make it so everyone can relate their job to that mission. If current managers cannot make progress towards the goals set out for them, consider bringing in new managers. Too many managers are in their positions simply because of seniority rather than their level of performance. The same goes for everyone else. And if you're going to let people go, at least have the courtesy of telling them why you're letting them go.

Change

I have been working at Panduit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, location, and mostly good people. Many employees know how good of a company we have been in the past, so trying to hang on until we change back.

Cons

Not a lot of trust of employees. Have not focused on the profitable business in years.

Trust, trust, and make decisions in a timely fashion.

Change can be good but constant change is not.

I have been working at Panduit

Pros

Panduit offers the following positives: clean office setting, many nice co-workers, free parking, flex time, good location (if you like south suburbs), good benefits package

Cons

Toxic environment... Culture has changed from a real collaborative work-place except we didn't call it "collaboration", we just called it things like "working together" and "doing our jobs". Now it is a broken culture: distrust of managers has poisoned the workforce so that trust between workers has also diminished. It has devolved from "can I help you" to "cover your own behind". It is the definition of "anti-collaboration". The treatment of people has gone from sub-par to truly reprehensible; people have become plug-and-play tools to be pigeon-holed from one job into another or escorted out the door.

Sales are up but layoffs continue and people sense a strong disconnect. Today is the start to so-called quality month; do you think the employees who have been laid off this past week were not concerned with quality? Perhaps they were all over a certain age. Take a look around and see the body language and ask yourself, is this a place where people are thriving? Disruptive may be a good buzzword regarding how you could potentially outpace our competition but all you are disrupting is our once-healthy workplace. My advice is to stop the constant change, treat people with the dignity and respect that they have earned and they will be very productive.

Technical Growth and Education

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Panduit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with encouraged learning and technical growth

Cons

Politics can be complex and difficult to navigate.

Allowing personal growth

Not as it seems

I have been working at Panduit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Secure and safe work place.
    Climate controlled, but from a different area.

Cons

Not military/veteran friendly
    a feeling of distrust with upper management
    Not very OSHA compliant

On the outside Panduit looks very appealing to many of the co-ops that they run through. As a culture, the mistrust and heir of distrust with upper management is at a all time high. Hiding the true cost that it take to make product from upper management seems to be a way of life for mid level managers. If you are a veteran of the military, you are treated as if you already have PTSD. It doesn't matter if you have never shown ant signs. You are a powder keg to them. Sadly it is that way across the whole company. Mid-level management has lost touch with the production people, the same people that can make you look like a superstar. The feeling of all for none is starting to take hold. Lastly, once the family patriarch is gone this company will be divided up and sold off. Remember, its your choice......I work to live, not live to work.

Believe Glassdoor reviews here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very nice people (excluding many execs) , nice building (way out in the sticks though)

Cons

All i can say is to read the other reviews here -- I ignored them but they are spot on. My mistake. This is the most dysfunctional place I've ever seen. And they are low-tech, not high-tech, as they will want you to believe. Execs rule by fear - ask about this. Believe what you read here.

I don't think anything will here help, Too far gone.

Panduit's focus is on the bottom line, they lost the human aspect to their "Family Company".

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only Pro is that Panduit is remodeling the existing buildings that they are not selling as they send production out of the US. If you are an HR person great! they built a whole floor in the corp. building to fill it, more HR people than actual working employees.

Cons

You get time off for sick but then again it counts agents you during your reviews. Promotions are based on "who you know" connections to the family or upper management and not job performance or qualifications. Employee building is a joke, instead of what use to be given $500.00 weekend away for 5 year service is now popcorn and carmel apple days, way to go HR, sure everyones looking forward to ice cream day too.

Management has never had been interested in the employee's opinions. Even though HR's weak attempt to add questionnaires they offer employees to fill out. No one believes they are truly anonymous and fears retaliation for negative remarks. Face it, management wont even read them or take them into consideration.

Can't get out of their own way....

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Panduit full-time

Pros

Good products. Pockets of good management with a vision to move forward. Benefits are above average. Teamwork does exhist outside of the corporate location.

Cons

Good old boy network. All they do is shuffle the deck with the same leadership. Fundamental reason why they can't move into new directions and expand capabilities. Tremendous amount of back door politics that is sufficating growth potential.

Bring in new talent at the high levels...and listen to them