Panduit

Updated December 10, 2014
2.4

Panduit President Thomas C. (Tom) Donovan
Thomas C. (Tom) Donovan

Pros
  • The salary is competitive with the area and for me, it is close to home (in 19 reviews)

• Flex time before it was so severely restricted and regulated (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • a feeling of distrust with upper management (in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication, knee jerk reactionay management, poor work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Top heavy company= cant execute

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Old product lines carry the company

Cons

Extremely poor engineering performance. product management cant manage engineering

Trip the top and the old timers

Save Midnight Shift

I have been working at Panduit

Pros

I like working at Panduit.
    Pay is better than surrounding companies.
    Benefits are fair.
    Work is not that hard.
    Bosses leave me alone. I am trusted to do my job.
    Atmosphere is clean, quiet, and climate controlled.

Cons

Midnight shift does the best job in the department.
    The supervisors are actually working with employees to get the job done.
    We get along with our bosses and each other.
    They are getting rid of our shift and it does not make sense.
    Our most important customer - Graybar - their orders arrive on our shift.
    They are "moving the employees" where the work is.
    The most important orders arrive on our shift.
    I am being forced to leave my shift that works perfectly with my family.
    The majority of the people on my shift feel the same way.
    We are having record sales and they are trying to save pennies on shift bonuses.
    If they want to shut down the warehouse for a few hours a day how about closing at 7pm.
    No orders come in.
    No orders leave.
    No trucks come in.
    They didn't even ask the management that works in our building before making a huge move.
    Some of them actually know what is going on. Might want to ask them.
    People on midnight shift like working where they work.
    How is this good for the customers?
    How is this good for engagement?
    Does not seem to make sense.

They have been planning on shutting our shift down for a year now and everyone is afraid for their job.
    Maybe they will rethink this and do what is best for their customers, employees, and future.

Do what is right for your customers and employees.
    Your customers and your employees are your future.

Good company to work for

I worked at Panduit as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and easy to work with

Cons

Projects move slowly. Not the environment for fast paced work.

Kicked to the Curb

Former Employee - Marketing in Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a large company that is located in the south Chicago suburbs, makes for a great commute. Flextime allows for flexibility in scheduling personal time with family and life events. For the most part, the people employed by Panduit are wonderful, creating a close-knit team atmosphere.

Cons

Leadership and strong upper management are lacking. For the past 5 years, leadership has changed key player roles and business plans, creating a constant chaos work atmosphere. Additionally, the respect and loyalty for 'legacy' employees has diminished, severing the foundational roots that established and grew the company.

Get your act together. This company has so much potential that is currently being wasted.

Up and Coming

Current Employee - Program Manager in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Panduit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for four months now and the change that is taking place is very exciting. The management here is very open to suggestions for improvement and change. I'm not hearing that old phrase "that's how we've always done it." Instead I'm hearing, "Those are great ideas. Lets get them implemented!"
    The people I work with are very helpful and the projects I am working on make me feel fulfilled.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there is not a "work-from-home" policy. This is one of those changes that will need to take place in the near future to attract talent to the suburbs. I strongly feel that this will take place soon.

Continue to stay open minded and embrace change as you have.

Change

I have been working at Panduit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, location, and mostly good people. Many employees know how good of a company we have been in the past, so trying to hang on until we change back.

Cons

Not a lot of trust of employees. Have not focused on the profitable business in years.

Trust, trust, and make decisions in a timely fashion.

"We have a strategy, we just don't know what it is yet"

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Good benefits
    Easy commute (near large highways)
    Knowledgable peers
    Newer, clean facilities
    Excellent machine shop with streamlined processing
    40 hr work week, not expected to work more

Cons

Lack of vision (we have no idea what we want to be beside what we already are)
    Lack of strategy to execute vision (we have no idea how to do anything different)
    Upper Management is very cautious due to lack of strategy (doing what we have always done will keep the profits the same)
    Cautiousness kills innovation (very skeptical of anything different than the status quo)
    Cautiousness also results in shortsighted decisions
    These poor decisions include:
    Laying off the wrong people (simply based on salary)
    Promoting the wrong people (based on favoritism)
    Killing the wrong projects (for lack of vision)
    Promoting the wrong projects (because they're the most comfortable)
    The result of this are employees are afraid
    Employees are afraid to speak up
    Employees don't think their work is worthwhile
    This is why so many people are dissatisfied
    This is why young people are leaving in droves

Divest the company from the crippling grasp of the Caveney family. This is no longer Jack's company. Just let them cash out and let someone else run the show. Bring in a new CEO from outside the company. Figure out what you want Panduit to be and develop a strategy for how to make that happen. Communicate that strategy clearly to every employee. Growing profits cannot be the only goal. People need a mission. Make it so everyone can relate their job to that mission. If current managers cannot make progress towards the goals set out for them, consider bringing in new managers. Too many managers are in their positions simply because of seniority rather than their level of performance. The same goes for everyone else. And if you're going to let people go, at least have the courtesy of telling them why you're letting them go.

The placed sucked to work for. Extra effort wasn't rewarded.

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Panduit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a job for the time I was there. There wasnt a whole lot of pros. Close to home.

Cons

Laid people off before their retirement. didn't compensate well even when you went above and beyond your job. Just laid my Mom off after 15 years of service right before she is going in for surgery.

Treat employees better.

Mediocre at best

Current Employee - Manager in Asia, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Asia, TX

I have been working at Panduit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros to begin with.

Cons

The company seems to harbour many people who are outcasts and rejects from other companies. Been here 5 years and nothing of strategic importance seems done. Frustration level is high. Tasks, processes are always in a mess and functions are disconcerted.

There's a lot of empty talk, virtually no transparency and lacks of communication. There are many people who has stayed in Panduit for many years and seems to be rather complacent at all times. Management is always, has always been on the wrong focus.

The senior management and old timers should just quit and not hang on for the sake of hanging on.

When will the layoffs end!?

I have been working at Panduit

Pros

Free parking, very clean working conditions, still good benefits like insurance and flex time and they are still matching 3% for your 401k retirement fund

Cons

layoffs, layoffs, layoffs, layoffs, layoffs... The company claim.s to be having a record sales year and yet they are laying so many people off in so many departments and divisions. The only department that I have not heard of any layoffs is human resources (I guess this belongs in the"pros" box above if you are in HR!). Back to the layoffs: a lot of people who have been at Panduit for more than 20 years have been laid off during the many rounds and I am wondering if there are grounds for a class-action lawsuit because a lot them are women and a lot of them are over 50 years old. Ladies, have you spoken with one another or perhaps this family company gave you such a wonderful severance package that you wouldn't bother with suing them? The company is going through a drastic change and it is painful. Oh, and the phony glowing reviews listed here must be from those same HR people that are not on the hit list. There is not a ring of truth in them.

for one thing, please get rid of the word integrity from your list of core principles or whatever that thing is... people have been lied to with impunity. Try although I doubt you can reinvigorate the once productive, collaborative, even fun culture that existed here but has been gone for about 5 years now. Just get from Bain what you really want, the actual highest price you can sell the company for and be done with it.