Panera Bread

3.1
1,398 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good High School/College Job

Former Employee - Barista in Derry, NH
    Former Employee - Barista in Derry, NH

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Team mentality while completing tasks (for the most part)
    - Strong morals, values and mission
    - Great discount (on days that I worked)
    - Cross training in different areas including dining room, barista, cashier and line
    - Fast paced, especially while working on drive thru
    - Clean environment
    - Donate to people and organizations who need it

Cons

- Scheduling was inconsistent
    - Pay not equivalent with the amount of work done
    - Customer complaints (which is to be expected, but still annoying to deal with)
    - At my store, I worked with a lot of teenagers who expected others to continuously expected others to do their work for them

The pricing of products is becoming more confusing to customers, so work towards pricing based on the customers point of view.

Good and bad at every work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are decent and I don't smell like alcohol or french fries at the end of the shift.

Cons

Side expectations, such as labor scheduling, food cost critique and general reports invariably fall on your personal time do get it done.

I came to Panera to manage. Instead, I find we are allocated management time, ie customer interaction, for 2 hours out of the day. After that, you are a wheel in the machine.

Not a very good place to work

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discount is 75% food off but only when you work, at the end of the night you can take home left overs.

Cons

make you clean bathrooms floors clean. even if your only a cashier.

management acted like they were always above you like you really didn't mean much.

It's work

Former Employee - Associate in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get paid
    you often work with fun individuals

Cons

you are at the whim of managers often with little experience and who bring personal baggage into the work.

Be more selective of who you hire as mangers and supervisors and provide them with higher compensation to promote the retention of quality personnel.

I enjoyed working as a team and training new employees.

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility and the bread bashes were a lot of fun.

Cons

A lot of work for a low wage.

Hourly Assosciate

Former Employee - Hourly Associate in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Hourly Associate in Westford, MA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice

Cons

Always put on dishes, you get stuck in one position, people don't show up a lot, never have a manager that lasted longer than a year

Make me feel like your happy I was part of the 5 people who showed up everyday.

WARNING AT PANERA BREAD!

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want enjoy a job at Panera it is really easy getting the job and the experience is not necessary at all.

Is a good beginning to start your career in the work enviroment.

You can accommodate work schedules at your convenience.

In many cases the shift managers are very understanding and you can talk to them about schedules.

Have employee benefits, discounts on food, and if you work in the afternoon shift to close, you can take home the leftovers of pastry! Is very Delicioso!

Cons

The wage is very bad compared to everything you do at Panera.

If you are a single person and you don't have many bills to pay, is a good job. If not, I wouldn't recommend it to you.

You'll have to work holidays and weekends.

You must prepare food without errors as quickly as possible and should work under pressure.

When you start your work at Panera, the first training is in the dining room, that includes cleaning tables, making coffee (you have to change it each hour) washing dishes and cleaning bathrooms.

If you can work under pressure it's fine!

You can take this job as an extra income or as fun as taking experience!

It was my first job

Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other staff members were all really helpful and willing to drop what they're doing to help you out

Cons

Management is often times lazy and non-existent on the sales floor. Scheduling is difficult to change.

Learn to perform the actions of your associates on the floor and help them out every once in a while.

Very hectic

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the fact that this is reputable company that has such high standards

Cons

They set set high expectations and are always looking for more

The hours are poorly planned but my coworkers are great.

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees at Panera are more friendly and open-minded than many other chain restaurants, but then again I work next to a college that most of the employees attend. The food is more healthful and I can recommend it over McDonald's. It's the lesser of two evils. I have coworkers from Brazil and Puerto Rico and we talk to each other in Spanish and Portuguese, so I am learning real skills not related to food service. I don't hear a lot of Spanish in Starbucks.
    They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift. I can get a green smoothie for two bucks on shift when I can't stop and eat. That being said, vegans and vegetarians really don't want to eat the food-the vegetables touch meat often. Omnivores are happier there.

Cons

The dish washing is disgusting. I am vegan and wouldn't eat off the plates here if there was anything I -could- eat; their is no separation of foods.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE WASH THEIR HANDS.
    I am not exaggerating. Not a single time. Only myself and one guy in pre-med.
    Disposable gloves are worn for sandwich/salad assembly but not changed between stations nor when making vegetarian items. I had to stop my trainers multiple times to wash our hands during training. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them to wash their hands before they went back to making drinks after handling dirty dishes. I am surprised so few people have gotten sick.

The hours are insane-I don't mean fifty hours a week, but irregular and often scheduled in a way that adversely effects health. My first month I was usually scheduled a few close shifts then a few open shifts, often five then nine hours so I didn't get breaks. I was expected at six when I was there at 10:30 the night before and had to travel an hour and a half to and from home-yes, the managers know how far I live! They drive five minutes to work so they don't care.

I take public transit and had to adjust my availability, which the managers chewed me out for-then the first thing they did was schedule me for the only half day I originally can't work!

The pay is not enough for the level of personal maturity and hours Panera expects from associates-full-time is 270-350 a week! If I didn't live in a dumpy apartment I would starve to death. It's a wage that can only work if you have other income like mooching from parents (college student strategy) or social security (older worker strategy).

Make a regular schedule that considers sleep and travel times. It's not hard-I see a few favorite employees with consistent hours. Stop randomly assigning everyone else to stress them out. I'm always afraid to sign up or plan on something since I never know when I'm working.
    Pay people a more. Panera makes a ton of money. They charge so much for food and pay employees the same as Dunkin Donuts! This makes no sense! The older more realiable and experienced workers cannot afford to live. My coworker works six days a week for 70 hours between Panera and Shaw's so he can feed his two kids. This is depressing.