Panera Bread

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.0 1,112 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there(in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work(in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student(in 43 reviews)

1,112 Employee Reviews

Easy job. Great co-workers. Poor management.

Associate (Former Employee) Westchester, IL

ProsFlexible schedule and work hours for students or anyone with multiple jobs. Nice co-workers. Easy but mindless work. Friendly customers.

ConsLazy managers. Dining room messiness not handled properly during busy hours. No raise or advancements opportunities. Workers get caught doing the same shift instead of fair rotation of duties. Managers can get moody during slow or busy work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore openness needed to allow feedback on employee advancement and proper training.

Went from good to bad

Prosdiscounts on food.
    great customer connection

Consbad management
    A lot of favortism

Hourly Assosciate

Hourly Associate (Former Employee) Westford, MA

ProsDecent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice

ConsAlways put on dishes, you get stuck in one position, people don't show up a lot, never have a manager that lasted longer than a year

Advice to Senior ManagementMake me feel like your happy I was part of the 5 people who showed up everyday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bouncing from crisis to crisis

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe actual work is not particularly difficult. A lot of the staff is quite pleasant and, in general, willing to help each other out.

ConsThere is absolutely no coherent strategy at the management level. Decisions are made on an ad hoc basis with an eye toward creating the appearance of positive sales growth without actually making any substantive improvements. Management is more interested in protecting their bonuses (which they often do by skewing sales numbers) than they are improving the cafes or fostering a successful team. Make no mistake, though it might look nicer, Panera is just an overpriced fast food restaurant. Oh yeah, and the soup, I mean ALL of the soup? Yeah... it's shipped in from a factory in pre-frozen 8 pound plastic bags.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the management bonus system.

A little mislead as to requirements of availability policy.

Manager (Current Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsGreat relaxed atmosphere, great employees and customers. I really enjoy working for them.

Conswork-life balance is fair, but can't work with my request to attend my college classes

Great co-workers, but had management issues.

Associate (Former Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsGreat people to work with.
    Decent Discount.
    Really good food.

ConsCustomers can be snobby, mean, and demanding.
    Management tends to change often as well as rules.
    Management also works people hard and doesn't care about employees as individual people.
    Attractive people get special treatment and given promotions.

You'll never get a raise but you'll be working with people you love.

Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendliest coworkers on the planet, they'll become your closest friends.

ConsTough time management with college and work. Shifts are usually 7-8 hours and then they'll ask you to work a double at the same time your professor assigns you a 20 page paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementShorter shifts would be very much appreciated.

Meh

Associate Trainer (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsYou get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there. Not a terrible place to work. They're always hiring (also a con)

Cons(At least at the one I worked at) Expect to beg for a raise. I eventually ended up with a consistent schedule, but a lot of people wouldn't get more than 10 hours a week. Management is a lot of talk and no action.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider consistent raises. Reward people that are doing their job well. The guy that sits in the back on his phone the entire time shouldn't be making the same as someone going above and beyond to please a customer. (Actually you should fire that guy not doing his job)

Terrible management and treatment of employees

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsDecent employees
    Free pastries at closing

ConsWas not up to standard
    Management lazy and not respectful
    Not enough employees
    Improperly trained employees
    Expected to work 3 or more areas at once

The company is okay. Needs help in taking care of your employers.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsSome customers treat you like family. I love that feeling.

ConsTurn over rate for employees is way to high. You are always training someone new.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!