Panera Bread

Panera Bread Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros:
  • "50% off discount on food during work, as well as 1/2 hour before and after work"
    in 32 reviews
  • "They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work"
    in 20 reviews
  • "can be far more stressful than is necessary out of a minimum wage job"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was great. The managers were fair.

I have been working at Panera Bread

ProsPatries at the end of the night

ConsNot everyone is trained on everything so covering shift can be tricky sometimes but usually not

There is always lots of work to be done, but it can be great fun.

Shift Leader (Current Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is in my field of study: culinary.

ConsToo much work to do with not enough help

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your team with respect. You will need to support eachother.

Good High School/College Job

Barista (Former Employee)
Derry, NH

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Pros- Team mentality while completing tasks (for the most part)
- Strong morals, values and mission
- Great discount (on days that I worked)
- Cross training in different areas including dining room, barista, cashier and line
- Fast paced, especially while working on drive thru
- Clean environment
- Donate to people and organizations who need it

Cons- Scheduling was inconsistent
- Pay not equivalent with the amount of work done
- Customer complaints (which is to be expected, but still annoying to deal with)
- At my store, I worked with a lot of teenagers who expected others to continuously expected others to do their work for them

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pricing of products is becoming more confusing to customers, so work towards pricing based on the customers point of view.

Good for the young, but not for adults looking to make a career...

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling exists, even for full-timers.

ConsI feel that Panera is leaning towards "Hardee's syndrome"--they're trying too hard to cover many different types of food without taking the time to make a quality product overall. Focus on the key products that led to Panera's success.

The benefits package seems very poor for a company with the financial success that Panera does . Ron Shaich constantly preaches about the need to "share the bread" with those less fortunate--some kind of initiative that helps those at the bottom of the ladder would be nice to see. Associates who are with our particular franchise 10+ years receive the same amount of vacation as someone who has been with the company three years; longevity is not rewarded.

In-store success is not rewarded. Our store received a "platinum" score on a recent audit and nothing notable was done to mark the achievement. Its very dehumanizing to perform at a high level and see nothing in return (even a plate full of baked goods would at least be a small token of appreciation).

In our particular franchise, there is no internal posting of career opportunities or the steps an associate needs to take to move up. Clear direction should be given if you truly want your associates to succeed.

Panera claims to enable their associates to "break any rule for the customer", but when it comes to $, this rule gets tossed out the window. If you truly want to enable your employees, trust your team members to take care of guests. A customer recently asked for a $1 price break on a cookie after spending $30 on other food (she declined to buy a drink) and was told "no" by the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive all team members (store-level management and associates) the opportunity to complete an anonymous survey sharing feedback with those in the corporate office.

A pretty good experience, but not the best company to work for

Associate Trainer (Current Employee)
Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

ProsReceived several hours, Was able to work whenever I wanted, Understanding and helpful management

ConsPay, No promotions or bonuses, Stress!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on training, Talk with each other manager to ensure you are on the same page about every issue.

A lovely face-paced place to work, however food service isn't for everyone.

Catering Coordinator (Current Employee)
Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

ProsHourly pay was ok, but with tips and a small commission on sales it really made it worth my time. All of the people were a blast to work with. Set schedule Monday through Friday with the occasional work on the weekends. Great coworkers and immediate management.

ConsUpper management seemed to only care about the numbers most of the time. Meets sales goals soon or your getting replaced were constant threats passed down. Raises we're few and far between. Comparisons to other markets as far as sales seemed unfair. When population density was 10 times larger.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all have to hit our sales goals, but maybe it can be accomplished with some constructive criticism in the current market instead of using destructive criticism in comparison with other markets that are just disproportional.

Part-Time Associate

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee)
Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

ProsGot a discount on food when you were working, other employees were friendly, and the environment was super clean to work in. The food is healthy enough to eat everyday.

ConsNo raises given, they don't tell you about a lot of perks you could be getting, nobody is willing to cover shifts, rude customers, always busy. The managers I found expected a lot out of you and in most cases will get angry if you mess up after your first week working.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises to people who deserve it, listen when your employees actually have complaints, and don't try to pull one over when it comes to scheduling students.

great experience into customer service

Associate (Current Employee)
Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat corporate company, good food, products to be proud of

Consat times stressful due to customers

Advice to Senior Managementset more time aside for new employee training

A great job for students.

Associate (Former Employee)
Lagrange Hlds, IL

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat management. Great opportunity for advancement. It didn't feel like a minimum wage job. The company does an excellent job of marketing itself. The food is great, also!

ConsI can't think of anything mentionable. I loved it there!

OK

Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for less than a year

ProsGood company morals and quality.

ConsManagement has too many favorites and there are is no compensation for outstanding work or service. Customers are very picky.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Panera Bread reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich. All 935 reviews posted anonymously by Panera Bread employees.