Panera Bread

Panera Bread Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated May 13, 2014

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there(in 64 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work(in 24 reviews)

• can be far more stressful than is necessary out of a minimum wage job(in 41 reviews)

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot in panera.

Cashier (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI actually learned a lot in panera which will benefit me in the future. I liked learning how to prepare the food and also how to manage the accounts..

ConsCons about working in panera was that every other month we always had a new general manager. I wish we only stuck to one.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as you'd like to be treated.

Nice coworkers, management badly trained.

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMy coworkers are enjoyable and friendly.

ConsPretty much everyone is overworked, because according to the GM, customers are first. If there is a line when it is time to clock out, I must stay, or finish my duties even it is one or two hours past my clock out time. The location is inordinately busy, and understaffed. The assistant managers (2 out of 4) spend their time dodging associate calls for assistance or just to fill the void where an associate should be. Most customers are patient, but some feel we should kiss their hiney like a full service restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the associates work for a full shift, and then see how we need training.

General Manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI didn't have the opportunity to work for a corporate Panera location, but the franchise I worked was big on promoting from within. Several people started out as associates and worked their way into upper management.

ConsAgain this was for a franchise, but the bonus plan changed every year. One year it's based on sale/profit the next it's only food cost/labor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre environment

Bakery Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFree pastries at night after closing (sometimes)
    50% discount
    Sweet regulars
    Good co-workers

ConsManagement gets too much into your personal life and spreads your business around. The pay is extremely low. You will never see a raise unless you're a suck-up to the managers. Favoritism. Managers will treat you like children. Even if you are lucky enough to get a raise, it will be no more than 50 cents. I started off at Panera Bread making $7.25 and didn't see any type of increase in pay until seven months later... to a whooping $7.75. This was after learning to be a cashier; doing barista and closing bakery to closing cafe. I even ended up cleaning toilets... which was NOT in the job description I was given at the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit lying to people about the positions they are going to work. If they are going to close cafe and clean up toilets and everything, let them know. It really makes a difference. Also, the awful pay isn't cutting it for how much work your associates do and put up with. You're currently charging almost $10 for a hot sandwich... put some of that money into your associates. They are the real faces of the store, after all.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!