Panera Bread Reviews in Houston, TX

3.1
1,323 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 94 reviews)

• Decent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 28 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I didn't have the opportunity to work for a corporate Panera location, but the franchise I worked was big on promoting from within. Several people started out as associates and worked their way into upper management.

Cons

Again this was for a franchise, but the bonus plan changed every year. One year it's based on sale/profit the next it's only food cost/labor.

Come for the paycheck, stay for the people.

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people that I work with are great people that are easy to get along with, the food is also delicious.

Cons

Management chronically understaffs to meet their labor targets, rude customers, only 50% employee discount.

Schedule more associates, especially for lunch rush. Make raises automatic after 3 months, publish the schedule more than a few hours in advance of the next week starting (it usually comes out late Sunday.)

I learned a lot in panera.

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I actually learned a lot in panera which will benefit me in the future. I liked learning how to prepare the food and also how to manage the accounts..

Cons

Cons about working in panera was that every other month we always had a new general manager. I wish we only stuck to one.

Treat employees as you'd like to be treated.

Nice coworkers, management badly trained.

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Houston, TX

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are enjoyable and friendly.

Cons

Pretty much everyone is overworked, because according to the GM, customers are first. If there is a line when it is time to clock out, I must stay, or finish my duties even it is one or two hours past my clock out time. The location is inordinately busy, and understaffed. The assistant managers (2 out of 4) spend their time dodging associate calls for assistance or just to fill the void where an associate should be. Most customers are patient, but some feel we should kiss their hiney like a full service restaurant.

Do the associates work for a full shift, and then see how we need training.

Mediocre environment

Former Employee - Bakery Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bakery Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Free pastries at night after closing (sometimes)
    50% discount
    Sweet regulars
    Good co-workers

Cons

Management gets too much into your personal life and spreads your business around. The pay is extremely low. You will never see a raise unless you're a suck-up to the managers. Favoritism. Managers will treat you like children. Even if you are lucky enough to get a raise, it will be no more than 50 cents. I started off at Panera Bread making $7.25 and didn't see any type of increase in pay until seven months later... to a whooping $7.75. This was after learning to be a cashier; doing barista and closing bakery to closing cafe. I even ended up cleaning toilets... which was NOT in the job description I was given at the beginning.

Quit lying to people about the positions they are going to work. If they are going to close cafe and clean up toilets and everything, let them know. It really makes a difference. Also, the awful pay isn't cutting it for how much work your associates do and put up with. You're currently charging almost $10 for a hot sandwich... put some of that money into your associates. They are the real faces of the store, after all.