Panera Bread

3.1
1,550 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work culture - this company cares.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent shifts - you either work morning, mid, or close.
    Great salary for managers.
    Good benefits for corporate stores - 401k for management, vacation time for salary & hourly employees, good health benefits also for salary & hourly employees.
    Regular customers are a joy.
    Associates are great & it's fun to watch them grow.
    Lots of internal growth.
    Lots of community involvement - food donations, fundraisers, etc.
    Friends in Knead helps employees through financial hardships.

Cons

Franchise stores do not offer the same benefits as corporate stores - no vacation time or health benefits for hourly employees, and 401k for salary managers in some franchises.
    Fluctuating schedule - it constantly changes.
    Early open & semi-late close - open is at 5 am and closing ends around 11-12 pm.
    Hourly associates pay is not as good as some competitors (mostly around $8-$9 per hour)
    Shift managers make around $11 an hour but are required to perform most if not all management duties

Corporate really needs to keep a close eye on franchise stores. A lot of the cultural values & concept essences are not being followed. Many short cuts are taken - even to the extent of fudging inventory counts and altering associate hours. I've seen some associates not be paid for a week (the hours just weren't entered), and I've seen some hours roll over to the next week so they avoid OT and cut back on labor. The corporate stores are usually great - I wish it was like that in every store regardless of if it's a franchise or corporate store.

Awesome company to work for

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent salary and great customers

Cons

The learning curve at different cafes

Upper management is good I would like more hours to get my schedule done

A good food service employment experience

Current Employee - Associate Trainer
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products that you serve are of the freshest and highest quality so you can serve them with pride.

Cons

There are a lot of responsibilities that you have to juggle at one time but it can be done. It will just take time to learn to manage all of the things you need to accomplish in a short shift.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good food, fast paced

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Not bad

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Omaha, NE

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, good for customer service experience and cash handling.

Cons

Not many cons, although it wasn't something I wanted to stay in long term, It was a decent job that helped us make ends meet.

I don't really have any advice for the management.

Amazing Company; Poor Managers

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Panera Bread has a great company philosophy as well as an amazing product line.

Cons

Managers are mediocre, dumb and incompetent.

Nice place to work, hard work initially, after 3 months it gets easier.

Current Employee - Customer Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Classy place, nice employees mostly, good food, clean, lots of learning.

Cons

High learning curve on certain jobs, fast paced, lots of details, long shifts.

Make a clear track to promotions and pay raises to motivate employees to not just stand around. Also make work schedule that are actually balance and do not over staff then under staff to compensate.

I worked as a cafe associate that worked both primarily breakfast and lunch production including drive thru.

Former Employee - Cafe Associate in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cafe Associate in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros are that you can develop healthy relationships with the managers of the cafe within the first month if you are friendly and open to get to know people. Very rarely do you work a job where managers come side by side with you and help motivate you to perform well and demonstrate excellent customer service by example.

It is helpful to train in different parts of the store and not be stuck in a few positions. Experience different roles with different employees and that's when you develop a well rounded perspective of what it means to progress in the cafe and look towards promotions. A friend of mine went from a cafe associate like myself and became a manager in less a year which goes to show that if you push yourself to learn every aspect of the cafe and become a trainer quickly you can promote yourself to good living in no time.

Cons

Plain and simple you're working in the food industry... so there's that. The fact that all the bread and pastries in the cafe are baked fresh is a comforting fact and not having to deep fry any food helps as well.

Many times the hard part about working in Panera is simply how the complexity of the menu can effect the interaction between you and customers. Learn to adapt over time and always remember that if you work in a cafe from 6 months to a year that you will have to watch for other employees mistakes and prevent problems from occuring almost on a daily basis. This job hires high school students as well as college students and adults so there is a mix of individuals.

Care about your employees and remember that the manager in charge for a certain part of the day should not spend the majority of his or her time sitting in the back office. Managers who spend all their time in the back office become clueless about changing occurrences in the cafe throughout the day.

great place to work

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

consistent hours, decent food, 60% off of food during work day

Cons

work days can be long

Good place to work.

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Panera pays well in my area. Associates who are in high school were getting paid $9. I was in catering and although I recorded $11 instead of $12 per hour I didn't complain, the tips were amazing!

Cons

Poor manager. Assistant managers and shift supervisor were amazing. General manager was horrible but when HR got involved that got taken care of

Be kind to your employees!