Panera Bread Reviews

1630 reviews filtered by
1,630 Reviews
Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

1. Great place to work but does have its down side

Current Employee - Team Member in Colonial Heights, VA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Colonial Heights, VA

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Great working environment, long shifts

Cons

Generic shifts, no changing up of shifts. long shifts.

Communicate with your employees better. Get more organized.

2. Panera Bread Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

The awesome food and people made the experience amazing. Working for this company is like working for one big family and everybody is offered benefits!

Cons

Panera Bread is a very demanding company. If you are unable to perform certain tasks certain ways Panera might not be the place for you.

Management was awesome from my point of view. Remember, every bakery-cafe is different. My Panera management was awesome.

3. good

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

good hours, able to work with your schedule

Cons

discount only available at store you work at

Pretty Good Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All of he beliefs of the company are fantastic, how they give back to the community, make quality products and want to treat the employees, etc.

Cons

The pay is somewhat low for the work expected of you. It would also be better if they promoted more from within

Need to promote more from within the company to assistant manager, general manager, jvp, etc. there is a lot of hiring from outside the company and that frustrates the current employees

6. You get what you give.

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

The job is a lot of fun and it's usually pretty fast paced. I was a cashier and also worked as a barista. I loved making drinks for customers because you get to be creative. Everything has a set recipe so everything stays consistent and they are easy to follow. Pay is based on your experience and as you learn, you are eligible for pay increases. The company usually likes to promote from within so there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Job is super repetitive. You have to follow a specific dialogue for each customer and transaction. People don't listen so repeating, "would you like bread, chips, or an apple?," over hundreds of times each day is draining and made me feel like a robot. Even if a customer is being extremely intolerable you have to smile and do whatever you can to make amends, including offering free items or refunds.

7. Its been ook

Current Employee - Cashier/Dining Room Worker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Dining Room Worker in Houston, TX

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

The coworkers are great. Get half off the food.

Cons

Low pay,can expect to get yelled at for messing up on one thing, Always shedule you for a double without asking.

We need to up the payment because we do hard work in the store. I also think we should be able to get tips.

8. Great for Students

Former Employee - Server/Busboy/Cashier/Food Prep in New Hartford, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Busboy/Cashier/Food Prep in New Hartford, NY

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fair management, and good employment atmosphere. This employer is kind enough to work around students school schedule which is a big plus for all who are pursing a degree and need a place to make a few extra bucks. Also, its great to see a diverse group of multiple ethnicities work together.

Cons

New employees tens to be looked down on by the senior employees. Management should treat everyone the same.

Fairly well managed. Most of the management has been with the company well over 6-10 years. Just make sure every employee gets the same treatment.

Great company overall

Former Employee - Bakery Market Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Bakery Market Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I fell in love with Panera's culture and ideaollogy when I started 11 years ago. I started as an Assistant Managers and then decided to become a Bakery Training Specialist, and then a Bakery Market Manager.

Cons

As a retail manager the job can be stressful, dealing with customers, young employees that have no prior work history and you can feel like a babysitter at times. Bakery Training Specialist job required that you be within phones reach at all times, as well as baking and writing schedules, filling out tracking forms etc. As a Bakery Market Manager there was no work/life balance and you were on 24/7/363 (Panera is closed 2 days a year). I had to mange during my 3 years as little as 8 -19 Cafe is a 3 state region.

Bread is the foundation of Panera Bread and it takes trained and skilled bakers to do produce the product the customers require daily. I would ask, why re-structure how the BMM's work by giving them more cafe's, but no more BTS's to support them?

10. It was a cool place to work.

Former Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the pay, reduced food, great people to work with

Cons

gave me too many hours

11. The Truth About Panera Bread

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

great atmosphere, customer service, treatment of employees, incentives, collaborative work environment.

Cons

long hours, over worked some of the time and under paid.

provide more incentives for employees to move up into management. Send them on a fast track to success.