Panera Bread

3.1
1,468 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

worked on and off with this company for 3 years, its a love hate relationship

Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ
    Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

flexability, room for growth, easy to transfer

Cons

the pay is not very pleasing to the amount of work expected of you

maybe higher the shift supervisors pay rate they are expected to do way too much for 10/hr and no option of yearly salary

Experience was filled with highs and lowed, fellow employees helped make the difference.

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

- Chill and typically young employees
    - Discount on food
    - Relaxed workplace

Cons

- Difficult to move up and rather time consuming
    - Annoying customers
    - Can get really stressful

- Loosen up and try not to be hypocritical.

Working for Panera Bread

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company with great values. I love that every bakery donates its unused breads and pastures to charities and homeless shelters. They have good benefits and good pay.

Cons

I wish you could move up in this company a little faster I've worked here almost two years and am still not a trainer even though i was told when i started that six months in I would start the training to become a trainer and well the managers don't seem to keep on top of things like that which is a little sad.

When you say you will have someone because a trainer follow through with it. Stop hiring new people when your aren't giving a lot of hours to the people who currently work here.

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, co-workers are fun and easy to get along with, flexible hours

Cons

As part-time you're usually closing, argumentative people

Pay closer attention to scheduling!

Very fun fast paced environment!

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Very friendly, fun, and genuinely a good place to work! Besides all the yummy food it has a warm atmosphere!

Cons

The worst part is wanting to eat all the food!

They can be too accepting.

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discounts are very nice
    Free bread when you close
    Bread bashes (employee meetings) are cool
    Easy to get a promotion - most managers started out making food

Cons

not much time to stand around
    it can get really busy
    managers are bad at scheduling
    difficult to change availability

work on the scheduling instead of clicking random

Good experience

Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

It's easy to learn and it's fun once you know how to so everything. Fun if you have good coworkers. Very friendly place. Crazy busy

Cons

The didn't like the hats a aprons we had to wear. Working the dining room was horrible because panera is always busy. And the early hours

Upper management was easy to work with

good place

Current Employee - Associate Trainer
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment
    can get promoted easily

Cons

not enough pay for the amount of work

Enjoyed working here, great managers and employees

Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Wilmette, IL
    Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Wilmette, IL

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really appreciated the computer-based training they gave me before I even was allowed to start working up front. Some of it was about the company and their values, some of it about how to use the computer system and the foods' ingredients.
    The first GM I worked for was obsessed with registering people for My Panera cards, and would be mad if you didn't get a certain number per shift (like 30-40). I hated doing that but luckily my second GM didn't care as much so I guess it depends who you work for.
    My managers were all very nice and I enjoyed working with them. I worked the opening shift in the bakery and loved it because I'd be done by 2 pm (5-1 or 2). Overall solid place to work in the food service industry. Also, one of the people who was hired at the same time as me was an Assistant Manager within a year of starting. (I just worked here for two summers, I was not on the management path.)

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep treating your employees well. Good work.

Overnight Baker, Great if You Are Looking to Work the Graveyard Shift

Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I had a great experience as an overnight baker at Panera. Both my bosses were awesome to work with and even though work was tough, it was pretty standard once I was done with training. I would still be working if I did not have to quit due to my commitment to finishing college. Other pros were:

-Given plenty of freedom to work at your own pace as you are usually working alone.
    -Free credit for food when done for the day.
    -Better than average pay, decent benefits and some raises.
    -40 hours a week
    -Almost all of the other bakers were excellent at their jobs and fun to be around.
    -Although both of my bosses were quite tough, they were very appreciative and supportive of the good work I did.
    -Both my bosses were always willing to send me help if I needed it (for a $2000+ bake, catering, etc.).
    -Both my bosses would deal with any issues that GMs and store managers would have with either me or my bakes (believe me, they would complain about everything).
    -6 weeks of training which is more than enough to learns the ropes of panera baking which does not require any prior food experience.
    -Although I went to a bunch of different stores for training, I settled into one store when I was done with training and stayed there for the remainder of my time at panera.

Cons

-There is no set time for breaks. The only time I was able to take one was if I hurried through my bake to have about 15 minutes to take one before I started clean up.
    -This job is very mentally and physically demanding even once you get the hang of it.
    -Solo baking is very tough and you won't get many hours during the slower times of year (April through September) if you can't solo bake.
    -You need precise time management for this job. One wrong thing will ruin an entire night and have you hustling to get the bake done.
    -Store and Baking management are run by two different systems which leads to quite a bit of problems.
    -No reimbursement for gas or tolls if you have to go to another store.
    -Detail cleaning is stressed but it is hard to get done when solo baking.

Get baking management and the store GMs on the same page. It only makes things so much harder on my bosses who already had a ton to deal with. Bakers NEED breaks even if it would mean starting 30 minutes earlier to take one. There is no rationale for why travel is not reimbursed other than being a cheap company. Gas may be cheaper now but it certainly wasn't when I was working. All these things need to be corrected ASAP.