Panera Bread Reviews

3.1
1,323 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 94 reviews)

• Decent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 28 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

I love panera!

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have had a very plesent experience working with Panera so far. They are really helpful and understanding, and we do have a lot of fun!

Cons

It's a stressful environment during the peak hours, costumers can be nasty, but if you can handle it all with a smile.. you'll be good! Be quick about things, but don't ever do shortcuts!!

Tips should be installed at every store.. for the service that most of us provide for the customers.. we should all share a tip jar! You would definitely get more and harder working employees!

Rewarding

Former Employee - Associate in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Associate in Manhattan, KS

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount, fun vibes around the holidays, delicious soups and always coming up with new ideas for seasonal recipes which was exciting

Cons

Awful management at my particular panera bread. The pay is minimum wage and the only time they offered me a raise was while I was in school and I was told that I would have to drop out to be promoted...awful advice!!!

It's great to sell a product that I believe in.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Within my franchise, there is opportunity for growth, but you have to be creative in climbing the rungs on the ladder. Selling a finished product that is created from quality ingredients and seeing my customers satisfied is a fulfilling part of my job. Benefits are good, but only for management, and free food on the shift helps as well. Panera as a whole values employees and invests time and money into proper training to create successful team members.

Cons

From management to associate positions, the pay is not proportional to the work load that is required. I believe that I could hire higher quality associates if I could pay them more, but my franchise has caps on pay with no benefits to associates, even those that work full time or are hourly managers. Upper management within my franchise does not take recommendations from store-level management, even if the practices would increase sales and transaction growth.

Take into consideration the responses given on the Warmth Surveys and allow General Managers to have more freedom in their position to make the changes necessary to have a more successful cafe.

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Food Prep in New Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Food Prep in New Springfield, OH

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers and coworkers are all great. The people make it a fun place to work. For the most part, very organized. The employees (for the most part, keep reading) give 110% to keep things running smoothly. Good discounts on food while working. As a food prep associate, I can honestly say that the food you get (that I portion out) is real. No pink slime or other disgusting things like that.

Cons

Not really a con, but if you're lazy or have never worked a day in your life, stay away. Tasks aren't rocket science here, but there's A LOT to be done and you'll be on your feet 90% of the time. Also, if you like to miss (excuse me, skip) work routinely because you suffer from "Chronic Bad Luck Disease", don't bother. I hate seeing the people I work with struggle to run the place when another needed employee flakes out.

Just like any place where you're dealing with the general public, be prepared to deal with grumpy people...especially the ones who don't like the price of the high quality food they're getting. If you work on register or "on line", you'll have to deal with that. I work in the back, but I hear stories all the time.

I don't know how they do it, but they do a very good job. Very nice people and I like them all.

Interesting, stressful, fun, exhausting,

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Akron, OH

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You meet some of the most amazing people, between the customers and your co-workers. The food is delicious.

Cons

The pay is low, the customers can be extremely rude, they promote favorites instead of the ones who actually work hard. The discount is crappy, half off an hour before shift and an hour after shift. Standing on your feet for a long period of time.

Pay attention to the ones who actually work hard. I've worked for panera for 2 years now, and I work harder then most of the people there and it goes unnoticed and I don't get paid enough.

Fun

Current Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Having young and responsible mangers

Cons

Lat hours on school nights

Panera has been a great place to work. I enjoy working with a company that shares my visions.

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Panera says it cares about the people in their community and really do. They do their bet to make ever experience with the company a good one. this ranges from customer service to donation. I have been given the opportunity to cross train in several areas and make it easier for me to more knowledgeably hep the guests at our cafe.

Cons

I believe that the management can keep the associates better informed on events and changes on a daily basis. It often feels like you receive more information about changes through the grapevine that directly.

Great.

Current Employee - Associate in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Part Time / Full Time
    -Discounted Food
    - Comfy Uniform
    -Solid Collared Shirt and Khakis
    - Seasonal Celebrations

Cons

-Dress Code is strict.
    -No Free Meal
    -No Benefits for Part-time
    -Little Promotion Availabilities
    -Aprons

No Jerks ;0

Not enough dough, but not too crumb-y

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% discounts on meals, but only as long as you're working that day. Flexible with hours and good for college or high school schedule. Easy to work yourself up into different sections. Management usually notices when you're doing a good job and thanks you, and coworkers usually help you out. You make some good friends here, and a majority of the customers are kind and patient. Definitely a lot better than most restaurants.

Cons

Handfuls of confused and arrogant customers. The coworkers make it or break it on a shift, some of them are lazy despite the Panera Warmth. Lots of minors get hired so sometimes it's hard to have a good working relationship with them. Management understaffed towards the end and it got really stressful having to release shifts and getting them picked up. Wages aren't as high as they should be.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Baker
    Former Employee - Baker

I worked at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

Great management, great people to work with.

Cons

Pay could be a lttle better.