Panera Bread

Panera Bread Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros:
  • "As an employee you are eligible for a 65% discount on food, only the day you work"
    in 36 reviews
  • "65% discount means you get to have some good food at a decent price"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student"
    in 36 reviews
  • "many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work day

I have been working at Panera Bread

ProsA great way to meet new people

ConsLittle to no pay with very low raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee incentives.

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Panera Bread

ProsPretty steady 45 hour workweek

ConsLow pay with increasing demands

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be hired with set schedules to provide work-life balance.

Panera is a great company to work for

Restaurant General Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, nice benefits. No late nights. Friendly atmosphere. Company is always on the move, opportunities always presenting themselves, rewards for hard workers and self starters

ConsA lot of high school kids work on the nights and weekends can be hard to deal with. Sometimes a lot of drama between employees, can very "clicky"

Good place to work, I have considered going back

Cashier/Trainer (Former Employee)
Arlington, TX

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Pros50% off food, free coffee and fountain drinks, flexible schedule, friendly staff, treats at the end of the day, in depth training program, room for growth. Most employees I knew were bumped up to the trainer position after about a year, small raises were given yearly as well.

Conscustomers can be a bit of a hassle, you have to keep in mind this is fast food for yuppies. Closing will take at least an hour, a few times a week I would have to stay longer than that.

Various pros and cons, but great to work for overall.

Hourly Associate (Current Employee)
North Huntingdon, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

ProsThe associates and managers are very nice. 50% off discount on food during work, as well as 1/2 hour before and after work. It sort of feels like a second family. They're usually extremely flexible around school schedules. Regulars are usually friendly and put a smile on my face. Other employees are normally very helpful.

ConsTraining was a little different depending on the trainer. Some of the employees are lazy and it can be discouraging being the only one working hard at times. The dress code is kind of annoying, for example, not being able to wear colorful nail polish. I've never seen anywhere else that has this policy. Customers can sometimes be rude, as with anywhere else. If you aren't getting help from anyone when it's busy (especially on dining room), it can get stressful .

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises/higher raises for those that deserve them. This is what keeps employees motivated. I've heard a lot of employees complain about this, especially ones that work really hard and aren't compensated for it.

Good college job

Bakery Cashier (Current Employee)
Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Prosgood food, nice co-workers, easy work

Conspoor management, gossip, not guaranteed your 6 month raise, too low of pay

Solid company to work for.

Training Specialist (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunities for training and advancement. The company is very charitable.

ConsSome of the locations are franchises. Employees are not always paid the same rate for the same job.

Great working environment.

Associate (Former Employee)
Crestview Hills, KY

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for less than a year

ProsThis is a great job for high school and college students. It's a great place to learn efficiency and focus on the job. Leadership is generally pretty good and the model for customer service is excellent. It's also great to be a part of a company that you can see helping those in need by donating the bread left over at the end of the night to homeless shelters.

ConsThere can be a lot of favoritism in where you work each day. As a general employee each day you do not know where you will be working until you get in. The people management like get the better jobs.

High school job

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood first job but not much more

ConsIf they like you the will convince you to stay. If they don't you don't have much chance

An entry level job with much work involved.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Panera Bread

ProsThe job training lays out exactly what is expected of each associate. It is very easy to learn and you will pick up on whatever with ease.

ConsCustomers tend to give you quite the dis-pleasant attitude so be prepared to never let the smile down. The tasks do become quite repetitive but being constantly busy will make the hours go by faster.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!

Panera Bread Videos

Panera Bread – Why Work for Us?

We are bakers of bread. We are fresh from the oven. We are a symbol of warmth and welcome. We are a simple pleasure, honest and genuine. We are a life story told over dinner. We are a long lunch with an old friend. We… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Panera Bread reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich. All 930 reviews posted anonymously by Panera Bread employees.