Panera Bread

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.0 1,111 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there(in 64 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work(in 24 reviews)

• can be far more stressful than is necessary out of a minimum wage job(in 41 reviews)

1,111 Employee Reviews

Decent

ProsIt is a nice company to work for. Organized and fast paced. It is possible to work your way up in the company as seen by fellow co-workers.

ConsNeed paid time off. No sick days and this is a restaurant. They make you come into work even if you are sick. Need personal days as well. They could also pay better for the amount of work and things needed to get done in a day. There could also be more staffing but they are always talking about hours and sometimes people get sent home when their help is required. Management usually helps in this situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises should be automatic. Understand that when someone is sick that we cannot always go to the doctors office as no insurance is provided from the company and it is expensive to go to the medical office.

Baker

Night Baker (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsYour alone, usually at most one other partner to get the bake done; You can play what ever music you'd like to listen to so long as you bring it. If you finish your bake early you can leave early.

ConsLearning curve to manage everything to performing a solo bake.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay-check pick up should be whenever I want to pick it up; should not have to structure my day around your rush hour to pick up my check.

Great high school/college job

Associate Trainer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFlexible schedule
    65% off food.
    People are fun to be around
    More than minimum wage

ConsDemanding for what you get paid
    Higher management turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're working your employees a little too hard and expect a lot. Panera 2.0 is suppose to ease what is expected of employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company!

Day Baker (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsHappy vibe! Donation of leftover bread every night!

ConsCommunication is slow. Snobby customers.

Overall good job, no room to really progress

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe company takes pride in its image and providing quality food and service. There is a strong emphasis on cleanliness and relationships with customers. I have a lot of regulars that I know by name and remember their order. Some of my managers have been really good about maintaining quality while remaining respectful of employees.

ConsScheduling is very unpredictable, and you don't have consistent hours. Quite a bit of gossip between managers and between employees. A lot of the younger employees slack off and leave others to do their work. My biggest problem with the company is the way they continually hire managers from outside the existing employee base. My GM is great, but some of my other managers have been petty and rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistently treat employees with respect and allow them to progress. Understand that the workload is a lot for the compensation received.

great environment

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosstrong crews
    good benefits
    great discount on food
    clean stores
    good training

Conscrew members paid more than shift managers
    many responsibilities for too low pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay shift managers more for their hard work

Yumm.

Associate (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsI looooove the food! There are so many different things to try you can keep going and not get bored! As well as they donate to charity every night!

ConsNot always speedy to get the food out by 3 minutes.

Great company with good head on its shoulders.

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsYour coworkers can become some of your best friends, the company donates all the baked goods to nonprofits every night, CEO is very caring and concerned for the community.

ConsManagers could not seem to agree on the right way of doing things so sometimes you would do things one way and you would please one manager but get another one angry at you.

Good for a Part-Time job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are nice and most of the customers are friendly.

ConsIf you don't like being on your feet i would not recommend this job.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery positive company that cares about the community.

ConsNot always practicing what they preach

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!