Panera Bread Reviews

Reset
1.0
Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • 50% discount on food if you're working that same day (in 96 reviews)

• Flexible hours; discounted food; pleasant work environment (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work one person has to do is ridiculous (in 30 reviews)

• It's a fairly typical minimum wage job (in 52 reviews)

1. Company Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Panera Bread (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was nothing good here to me.

Cons

Everything, and pay was lousy.

2. Dissappointing Company

Former Employee - Dishwasher, Barista, Cashier, Busser in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Dishwasher, Barista, Cashier, Busser in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are really no pros. The 65% discount and the coworkers are pretty much it.

Cons

Management is sloppy. You do too much for very little pay. Everyone seems to hate their jobs.

Advice to Management

Become better managers. Add some structure to the company and then it will work out. Everything is too lax and there never seems to be a plan B whenever an emergency happens. Learn to train people better and show that you care about your employees.

3. Baker overnight

Former Employee - Day Baker in New Hope, MN
    Former Employee - Day Baker in New Hope, MN

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to take home breas

Cons

Bad hours, employees didn't care

Advice to Management

Pay better for better employees

5. It paid the bills

I worked at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

I worked with a really great close nit team and made memorable connections with customers and my co workers

Cons

There are many reasons I hated working here it just seemed like I was not getting paid what I deserved however their prices where steadily going up some customers were snotty and rude... All around I was in a bad mood whenever I left work

Advice to Management

Make sure you evaluate your general managers mine was a complete imbecile however another manager in my opinion was more than qualified and a thousand times more Competent

6. dont work here

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

sometimes you'd get free food

Cons

culture of incompetance and power-tripping in the management that pushes out the good managers that try and promotes the ones who are the least qualified. pay sucks. hours suck. corporate climate sucks. dont work here.

Advice to Management

learn how to manage a store and how to deal with employees with respect and empathy.

7. Full time means full time...

Former Employee - Associate in Lynnfield, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Lynnfield, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were for the most part genuinely nice people. I was given an opportunity to learn all aspects of the jobs so I could fill in at a moments notice.

Cons

Once you are in a position, they do not allow you to ever move up. I was hired for full time and only ever given part time hours. I hate to say this, but it is true only minorities were given full time hours. I am white and I was denied. There are no benefits. The pay is poor. The work is grueling. And they don't feed you, you have to pay.

Advice to Management

What goes for one set of employees goes for all.

8. Not great at all

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount you get there is about the best thing to look forward to and easy promotion to shift leader if you are favored by the managers

Cons

There are a lot of downsides to working at Panera Bread I worked there for over a year and probably worked 16-30 hours per week but never once did I get a raise. The managers are very rude and there was always drama between the co workers and managers. The customers are also very rude and I have dealt with plenty of racism at this "cafe", such as customers not wanting me to take their order but instead holding up the line to wait for a Caucasian girl and also the managers and coworkers looking at me and my hair strange when I get braids. It is just a very uncomfortable environment. They are also very unorganized, I have dealt with coming into the cafe thinking I had a shift and the manager telling me it was a mistake they didn't mean to tell me I was scheduled. The managerial team period is just horrible, they have bad attitudes and love to yell at you as if you are a child and are the quickest ones to talk behind your back and call you out of your name. I can understand the stress of probably being a manager because it gets very busy to the point the line is out the door, but for the managers to take it out on the coworkers is just very disgusting. The managers would get mad at us when we asked them to do coupons because they were busy eating all the food in the back. It is just very ironic because they put really strict rules and I mean REALLY strict rules on the coworkers. I am only speaking on my experience and many people at the Panera Bread I worked at were miserable unless you fit in with their little "clique". One girl walked out the store and quit. And about five of us coworkers quit at the same time. I highly recommend nobody to work there especially if you are not Caucasian.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is to get better management skills. Or maybe just have corporate take a better look at who they employ. Management is trained to put the blame on coworkers for everything. The rules are too flip flopped and one sided to the point I have been disgusted by the end of my shift. Please reevaluate everything the Panera Bread team values because they really think part time coworkers should make PANERA BREAD more of a priority than school and this is STRAIGHT out of a manager's mouth. Instead of encouraging team members to do their job better they put them down and worry about filling up shifts for the day.

9. Could have been better

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Duluth, GA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount. 65% up to $10 per day worked. Customers are great.

Cons

Always understaffed. Very rude managers that don't appreciate you. Came into work over an hour early somedays and never received a thank you. You never leave when the schedule says you do, always an hour later. Just very unorganized.

Advice to Management

Better training. Suggestion boxes for stores.

10. Not good place to work

Former Employee - Everything in Marshfield, MA
    Former Employee - Everything in Marshfield, MA

I worked at Panera Bread (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro was bringing home the bread and bagels at the end of the night

Cons

Not enough hours for the employees who actually work and those who didn't work hard got all the hours

Advice to Management

Respect your employees that actually care enough about their work

11. It was nice at first but... It just went downhill.

Current Employee - Dining in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Dining in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

Get to meet friendly people there Flexible scheduling Easy to get promoted higher up

Cons

Management is a joke They will try to get out out of there if they don't like you The pay is too low for the work that I do

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together. Get better management. Most of the managers would stand out in the back smoking and talking behind other people's backs, and taking advantage of other people

Showing 268 of 2,191 reviews