Panera Bread Reviews

Reset
2.0
Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • 50% discount on food if you're working that same day (in 96 reviews)

• Flexible hours; discounted food; pleasant work environment (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work one person has to do is ridiculous (in 30 reviews)

• It's a fairly typical minimum wage job (in 52 reviews)

1. Not Worth the time!

Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits=sorta okay, Paid Vacation after a year working there and being label as full time

Cons

They don't give you opportunities to move up / atleast at my Panera bread. Short hours givin. Don't work well around other jobs or school . doing the jobs of 6ppl or more. Managers don't help out

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Communication is lacking between every manager and every employee. Not enough positive feedback. Don't help employees when you need it

2. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, MD

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get 50% discount, good for your first job since you get some experience, free pastries at the end of day, can be fun if yoi work with cool poeple.

Cons

Horrible pay for all the work you do, you have to be a good worker to recieve any raise

Advice to Management

Dont be so serious. Have some fun once in a while.

3. Terrible

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Austin, TX

I worked at Panera Bread (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, managers were friendly

Cons

you have to work every position and may or may not be trained on said position

Advice to Management

train your workers

5. Frustrating

Current Employee - Zone Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Zone Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are like family, free and discounted food, free drinks, and most low level management is very cool

Cons

If you have a bad GM,it will ruin the morale of the whole store, management included. Managers have absolutely unrealistic labor targets, and very little upward mobility. Impossible to make over $9.50 base as an associate.

Advice to Management

Completely revise labor cost guidelines, reward talent in lower management, simply the menu.

6. Life at panera

Former Employee - Line Cook in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Chicago, IL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady hours so a steady income flow.

Cons

Not enough workers, always working overtime

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated

7. No integrity and no accountability

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

65% discount on meals.. but if u kiss up to managers u get it free

Cons

Our store was filthy.. manager spending most of there time in the office. Turnover is high.. no training

Advice to Management

Try working with your crew.. get to know them, stop overlooking the problems.

8. Not pleased

Pros

The hours were flexible, allowing me to balance school and work more easily than a lot of my friends who worked in retail.

Cons

The management at my particular store was terrible. I consistently felt like they didn't respect me as a person, which is not something a store wants of their employees. The customer base was also less than amiable.

Advice to Management

It varies from store to store, but just make sure you are treating your employees with respect. It really can transform a work environment.

Assistant Manager Position

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

I really like the fast-paced environment at Panera. You are constantly busy as a manager and the time usually flies by. I really liked the 10 week training program, too. While most managers are associates who have moved up in the company over time, I was hired in for management and had to start completely from scratch and had to learn both associate and management roles. I feel that the training program adequately prepared me for my role as an assistant manager. Managers get free meals during their shift, which is one of the perks of working here. They offer a full medical insurance package as well as life insurance and 401k. Bonuses are paid every 8 weeks and are based on performance.

Cons

I feel like there is not much room for advancement in this company, even though I was promised otherwise when I signed on. There are far too many assistant managers vying for a few general manager positions, and there is a lot of favoritism within the company. At my location there is a lot of cattiness amongst the managers, and much more back-stabbing and drama than teamwork. The poor team dynamic at my store creates a lot of additional unnecessary stress, and makes it very difficult to reach store performance goals. The hours are pretty ridiculous and work-life balance is very poor. There are nights when I will close and leave the store at 11:30, then have to be back at 5 am the next day to open. You work most weekends and many holidays, and what is supposed to be a 45 hour work week generally ends up being 50-55 hours. I am far underpaid for this amount of work. The paid time off policy is pretty terrible, too - they do not pay for sick days, and vacation time has to be earned (one week of paid vacation after a full year of working there).

Advice to Management

I would really like to see more teamwork and cooperation from the managers. If the managers would treat each other and their associates better, store performances will improve and turnover will be reduced drastically. Conduct periodic performance reviews and reward hard work and performance (I have been here over a year and have still not received one). I wish there were more advancement opportunities for assistant managers.

It's a good looking job on a résumé

Current Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers -as cliché as this sounds yes the people who work here for the most part are pretty cool. No Grease- you don't smell when you go home and you'll most likely be okay if you where normal tennis shoes Respected- you may not think so but compared to other fast food chains Panera has earned some rep

Cons

Customers- Yup, as with most jobs this tends to be the problem but here it's another whole other ball park. The customers you meet are demanding, rude and held above on a pedi stool fit for royalty. Except you aren't paid a royal fee to care for them, nope, you make minimum wage and you work at Panera, not a 5 star resort. It's one thing to have customer service but why have rules if management won't enforce them for belligerent, unyielding customers. Room to grow(quickly)- if you expect to climb the chain of success look elsewhere. At Panera you can start as a hourly associate then after 9 months you can maybe and I seriously mean maybe you can move to a trainer and that's just about where the road stops because unless you have 4 years to give there's nowhere for you to go but if you do then yes Panera does have roads for you to take. Wage- You'll more than likely make minimum wage and if that's not okay don't work in food there is no real money to be made although Panera is probably the most unwilling company I've ever come across to give any compensation to any of the staff

Advice to Management

Your strict standards of customer service is what sets you apart from your competition but just saying your better than McDonalds, Burger King, etc. doesn't mean you can pay your employees exactly what they would pay us. If you truly want to be the better company then don't take your employees granted because we work hard for this company

11. Baker Trainer Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and mostly supervisory work. Free food and quarterly bonuses. you get to work alone for the most part and get payed to drive.

Cons

firm on specs over worked employees, and overnight shifts. surprise visits by upper mgmt. equipment problems and you are the only one in the store that can fix it.

Advice to Management

when an organization has become a corporate entity those that work for it can no longer think for themselves and must submit to the beast to receive their lively hood so what can i say to advise such a system?

Showing 414 of 2,200 reviews