Panera Bread

3.1
1,554 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at panera bread

Former Employee - Team Member in Scarsdale, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Scarsdale, NY

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Some nice people working there and considerate.

Cons

Disrespectful managers. Constantly being driven like a slave.

Employees are not slaves.

Unprofessionalism at its finest

Current Employee - Associate in Taylors, SC
    Current Employee - Associate in Taylors, SC

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

You get a 65% percent discount on a meal up to 10 dollars. Flexible with the schedule. You get free soda coffee or hot tea on the clock. Panera is a great company that does a lot of great things for the local community. The food is fresh the bread is fresh they have fresh products in their food.

Cons

I would like to say that as a whole I do like the company Panera Bread and I think they do a lot of good for the community. The location that I was at is a different story. Management is just awful. They have no clue or idea how to run a restaurant. I do not know how they got into the position they are in and how they have kept it. There is a very high turn over rate. The management at this location creates a lot of their own problems. They treat you like a 2nd class citizen. The hierarchy of this Panera is very similar to feudalism. I have worked for several different companies in my life and none of them have been this awful. You can do your best and it will never be good enough for these people. They do not compliment you for doing a good job. I hope that this store gets fixed soon because a lot of great people have quit this location to go find other work because of all of the problems this store has.

Management tries to find problems and create unneeded problems. It is like the management does not want themselves to succeed.

Stressful and all staff over worked

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Great food
    Decent pay
    Associates are hardworking and trustworthy

Cons

Poor management, untrustworthy characters
    Lack of training and supervision
    Have to start out at bottom if you want to be respected as you climb to top
    Too many short cuts
    Rules are not followed and often pay for other people's mistakes
    Lack of opportunities leads to aggressive behavior towards Co workers
    Long hours

Focused on associate growth, integrity, positive enforcement and over all honesty. Too many managers only focus on the negative leading to poor self esteem and looking for someone to blame.

Bakers Treated Unfairly

Former Employee - Night Baker
    Former Employee - Night Baker

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Benefits are alright, but there are no benefits otherwise.

Cons

Hours are 10 pm to 7 am with little to no break, a ridiculously demanding workload, and managers and owners who don't care about your well being. Pay is abysmal compared to the work being done.

Easy but Unfulfilling

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Extremely easy job, not much difficulty and easy hours. It can be fast paced if that's what you're looking for, but this is not a job you are proud of when you're done at the end of the day.

Cons

Bad atmosphere, managers that were promoted to incompetence, and management is extremely distrusting of their employees. Erratic decision making skills by the GM and a lack of consistency in discipline. Management will work you right under full time hours and cut back on hours harshly when you get to close to that line, you are forced to stay late in shifts but it is your fault if you work more hours than scheduled.

Clean house and take care of inconsistencies in the restaurant

They would pay you less if it wasn't illegal.

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

You have an excuse to drink. Also, free bagels. Sometimes you get a free sandwich.

Cons

Holiday work, no breaks, no raises, you never get a consistent schedule. If you're cross trained in everything you'll be expected to work multiple stations simultaneously.

Be nice.

Assistant Manager

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you learn quickly how to deal with angry customers

Cons

They generally seemed to care more about making a buck than paying a fair wage to their employees.

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Murrysville, PA
    Former Employee - Panera Bread Associate in Murrysville, PA

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

I actually worked here in 2009/10 but that wasn't an option. The customers were generally pleasant and some of the positions I worked weren't too bad. I was told I would be a cashier and bakery counter person, but my first day I was thrown in the dining room and I couldn't lift heavy things like garbage due to back and shoulder issues, that I had told them about in my interview.

Cons

One of the managers swore at me and teased me behind my back on a nearly daily basis. When the store got busy, she would sit in the office and not help, then tell me that I was too slow despite being the only person to bus tables, run dishes, make coffee, clean, re-stock all the condiments and drink counter stuff, AND wash dishes. One of the other managers once decided it was better to try and see if she could fit in a small packaging box instead of helping out on the day after Thanksgiving, and I was scolded for nearly tripping over her as I was carrying a heavy load of dishes. That's not acceptable behavior from management.

Please don't hire people who swear at their employees on their second day on the job. The other managers were decent.

Great Company Mediocre Managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Free Meals
    Nice Customers
    Family Friendly
    Great Pay

Cons

Managers don't know how to talk to employees Managers like to highlight your misstakes Some employees backbite to management about eachother

Don't hire your whole family
    If you can't give an employee hours transfer them to a store that can
    Learn how to not overreact when mistakes happen

Terrible place to work for.

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet new people.

Cons

Good luck trying to move up if you aren't a teen girl. I got employee of the month 5 times in a row and never got promoted to a trainer. They promoted some girls that were always late to work never really did anything and just had the look of here "let me do you a favor in the back office." Get a better day job one that rewards hard workers.

Your middle management is garbage. After leaving this terrible place I finished my degree and followed my career path. Make more money then those Pervy managers I had to deal with here. 4 years later I decided to visit a newly opened panera. Went inside and noticed the same crappy treatment I used to deal with. For a place that's so "high end" you can't treat your employees with class also?