Panera Bread Reviews

3.1
1,288 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 76 reviews)

• Decent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 27 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent first job

Former Employee - Hourly in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Hourly in Marietta, GA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Experience, nice customers. Ok food, some nice people

Cons

Early hours, pick up slack, late reviews, unprofessional management, crazy turnocert rate

Do your reviews

I was fired because told management the place was a disgusting mess and unorderly.

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The breads where good and the smoothie.

Cons

Awful training. I was trained at a different location for about 4 weeks. It was a 45 min commute from where i was going to be working and they didnt cover the gas.The training was good up until i got to the store I was working at and I realized that everyone did things different and behind the counter every thing was a big mess nothing where it logically should be. Very tight working environment evryone is on top of everyone else. Plus the woman who was working with me was obviously enraged that she didnt get the position and made it very clear to me day one. From then on every thing went down hill. I was treated very badly by employees and management. Worse 3 months of my life.

Train people in your own store so the person learning the job doesnt have to relearn everything. Because no two stores are alike inside. Quit pretending like Panera is this wholesome everyone's like family place.

Stressful

Current Employee - Associate in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, other employees, free coffee.

Cons

managers, horrible scheduling, under staff, chaos.

A waste of time

I worked at Panera Bread (more than an year)

Pros

Good thing you're paid on Tuesday and its direct deposit

Cons

The inconvenience of watching favoritism. And cutting of hours after being rushed to the hospital for working to cover other people's shifts when they don't show up for work.

Have more empathy to people who have lives outside of work. There's a culture and lifestyle to panera that isn't the norm. Its respected that you cater to the eldery and settled single mothers who have nothing to do all day but bring their 7 indecisive children to panera and kill time.

Some employees really want to be there to help people and sell the product. Allow those who actually want to work incentives for the long hours that are put in and if not just be honest and let us know that we'll never be promoted

Hated it

Former Employee - Crew Member in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Grove City, OH

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50 % food discount, which is good since the food is ridiculously expensive

Cons

Minimum wage
    Homophobic managers
    They mess you around for hours
    Much too stressful
    Rude snobby customers

Take a chill pill and make the work environment a little more fun

Panera Covelli no good

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

Great Food, great co-workers, consistent customers

Cons

Poor judgment in hiring shift supervisors and upper management from outside the company, at the two locations near me they do not promote much internally. Pay raises were either non existent or 6 months late. Supposed to have an "open door" policy, didn't.

If you keep hiring people at minimum wage and work them to death during "part-time" shifts so that you never have to pay overtime you are always going to have a high turnover rate with your employees, give the employees incentive beyond pins and a plaque

Horrifying

Current Employee - Baker in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Baker in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non, find employment elsewhere. I've heard from other bakers that corporate Panera Breads are better to work for, this particular franchise is horrible.

Cons

Low pay, graveyardshift, treated like you aren't there, at best..

Little opportunity, and the bakery managment get treated worse then the bakers. The covelli family owns the one I work for and they have been sued in other states for racism, and it is very obvious that it's company wide. I work for a black Asst. GM who has been with the co. for 10 years and keeps getting passed up for a promotion to good looking woman in there mid to late 20's.

Not good

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that you work with, the bakers are great, the baked bread is good and some of the food is exceptional.

Cons

Upper management is completely disconnected from field operations. In my particular are the dm was fake, this person did not make any effort to get to know the employees, was condescending rude, and an overall very untrustworthy person. The rate of pay for the amount of work that is required is low. I was in management and the expectations are crazy high with no support what so ever.

You are expected to maintain good ticket times at all times no excuses no matter what. The processes in place to create this good environment for the guest is tedious and redundant. Busy work to keep the manager not focused on the right things.

The rate of pay for associates is a joke and the lack of raises for the all associates is astounding. I worked with associates that have been with Panera for years that are barely making $10 per hour.

The culture that this company talks about in their training video's is absolutely non existent. The benefit is package is low compared with other companies.

Overall not a friendly place that you look forward too. And the customer base is demanding highly rude and inconsiderate. The new RPU program is difficult and just puts more pressure on associates to perform without making mistakes.

Bottom line if you want to feel undervalued, if you want to work for the least amount of money possible, getting a raise once a year that on average is anywhere from .08 to .25 cents, where u get treated like a number rather than a person then come work for Panera bread. This company does not care about anything except it's bottom dollar period. The associates and shift supervisors don't even get tips!!!!! Not a good place to work

Start sharing some of that money you guys are making. Reward good hard working people with good raises, tell them they did a good job, come and work with side by side rather than making them feel terrible for the one thing they did wrong. Stop changing everything (standards procedures) all the time. Have you ever heard the saying " if it is working why reshape the wheel". If you want better results and lower turnover and better loyalty fe your people, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THEM MORE MONEY. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE PEOPLE RATHER THAN SLAVES.

Slave labor--Hendricks --Jacksonville FL

Former Employee - Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on meals--closing benefits with baked goods

Cons

EVERYTHING--you work like a slave to get nowhere--all you ever hear about is hours hours hours and we don't have enough money to pay for HOURS to employees --it is the same garbage as anywhere else in franchise business--HOWEVER in this business all the fresh ingredients makes for some sizable bills for customers --It must be nice to have all fresh ingredients and let the staff be treated like total Garbage --maybe 20 hours a week at about 8 bucks an hour and company still going downhill--NO matter what restaurant you go to it looks like garbage with left over plates and spills on carpet --Know why--because its about hours--it is not about customer service or wages--its about hours--they scale back hours so much that when the night shift does come in the place looks so much like crap that it takes about an hour just to get settled down again by working like a slave and then you have to clean up and get ready for the next day--The 5 o'clock crowd will never be treated right. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy in the world. It is the same as McDonalds in franchise's. This is suppose to be the good store too--if this is the good store then I would hate to have to see the bad store. Here is the other problem if your not kissing some one's *ss then you will NOT be promoted at all. Don't ever open up one of these stores --you will be treated like GARBAGE! You will work all kinds of hours be fed bullsh*T about how great the company is then you will be left to die somewhere after that with no chance of promotion. Maximum hours a week will be 20 hours tops. All the good managers will leave and the further down the road you go you will see the store turn into complete CRAP! As far as discounts go--if a store wants to be a humanitarian then kindness starts at home too. Treat your employees well. You will also run around as a server waiting people hand and foot and get little benefit if any for reward. This is the way the thing was designed to be. The new implementation of the NEW and improved 2.0 crap will be cluster F --geared all towards more hours for employees and more hires--HORSECRAP! This chain of stores if it was ever a good chain has gone completely downhill. It will be micromanaged, no customer service, employees who don't give a crap because that will be the way they are treated, and look like a garbage pit. Point blank and simple. Charity begins at home. Then management wonders why people leave --people would rather work at McDonald's than get treated the same in wages and experience. Probably don't have to travel as far because they keep switching out stores availability to go to. End result a store run by corporate ideas implemented by flow charts and graphs and bottom lines. A waste of anyone's time.

Quit worrying about freaking hours so much and start treating your employees with the respect they deserve--

its not worth it

Former Employee - Associate in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Normal, IL

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enough hours, most co workers are nice

Cons

Very busy, stressful at times, not enough workers, always dirty, always running out of food, ants everywhere, smelly

hire more workers, have more people work during busy hours, hire more people to clean the store, order and prepare more food