Panera Bread

3.1
1,229 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Hourly
    Current Employee - Hourly

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent training (could be more structured), Good people, Management are pretty good as a whole but a few I've seen do not follow safe food procedures, Decent strating wage (In my situation at least. I brought more than 20 years in the food industry to the table.

Cons

Employees are not supervised to a high standard. Managers tend to let things slide for too long. . .IE dishes piling up at the wash station, supervising production, spot checking quality of products.

If you are in management, rmember how and why you got there and strive to do your jobs correctly. If you aren't doing your job correctly, you can't expect your hourlies to do the same.

Company believes in the quality of food they serve to the customers.

Former Employee - Associate  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work if you love pastries :) They are very serious about their pastries/food menu and value customers with good quality food.

Cons

long hours, low pay, high turnaround

try to hire less teenagers and more grown-ups.

work Work WORK HARDER. Night baking does all.

Current Employee - Night Baker  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Night Baker in Austin, TX

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is reasonable and negotiable.
    Management has gotten better, even if they are a quite overworked.
    Free bread. SO much free bread.
    $10 credit towards free meal at end of every shift.
    Given a full six weeks to get the hang of things.
    Fellow employees are quite friendly.
    Espresso machines on hand to help with staying awake.
    Bakers are respected for their difficult job.

Cons

Biggest issue is the workload. It's unfathomably huge.
    You are responsible for prepping and baking 95% of everything the store sells.
    Unless you have hard sales, military, or manufacturing experience, it's unlikely you have the willpower to do this job. You will think you have finished everything, then turn around and find the other 67 things you need to bake.

On top of all this, there are no breaks. 15 minutes? No. Half hour for lunch? Hell No. You can take a moment to breathe only once you've become an expert at efficiently crafting everything. If you have time near the end of your shift after you've finished everything (unlikely) THEN you can sit and try to forget about the flour covering you from head to toe. If you're a smoker, you're screwed.

Requested time off, even unpaid, is hard to come by, especially any time between September - January. Anything more than four continuous days is out of the question.

You will be burned badly multiple times. Expect it. Invest in burn gel and bandages.
    You will also be frostbitten if you touch anything metal in the subzero freezers.

Any joy or finesse you put into your work will need to be wiped away. Imagine this place as a French kitchen, without any of the coworkers or lovely garnishes. You have to operate like a machine, pushing out hundreds of flat breads, bagels, pastries, souffles, baguettes, and artisan loaves before your shift is up.

The clock is your enemy. Do one part of the sequence wrong and you will find yourself having to work twice as hard the next day to compensate for one tiny mistake.
    Delivery truck is sometimes late, forcing you to alter the sequence of baking. This can result in 30-60 minutes in delays you will be expected to take up the slack for.

For the love of god, invest in leadership training for your experienced bakers! You have your bakers doing double duty as trainers, which would go a lot better if they were formally trained to do such. At least throw them a syllabus. They are getting frustrated with the new trainees and that's half the reason for such few new bakers joining. The other half is the fact that this work is DEMANDING. This should be fully expounded upon in the beginning, especially the NO BREAKS part.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very, loving environment high up pace requires a special personality,

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The teamwork and the customers have kept me with Panera Bread.

Cons

The Other Managers sometime forget to do their job.

Upper Management should remember how they got to upper management also need to reach down and promote within.

Long and storied

Current Employee - Senior Devops  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Devops in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Been able to work on many new and exciting products including iOS and other development languages. Co-Workers have been wonderful as well.

Cons

401K Match is not as good as it could. Upward movement is limited as well. Compensation is getting better but lower than some.

It's been alright

Current Employee - Hourly Associate  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Hourly Associate in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers are pretty chill, the pay is good, and overall it's a welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

Lots of manual work if you're doing the dining room, and we almost always go way over the time they expect us to finish closing.

Awesome

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Concord, NC

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Pros would have to be my fellow employees and the family oriented business relationship. My supervisors were great and Panera Bread as a whole is just a really good place to work. The company is really concerned about their employees and they have a really good work ethic.

Cons

no real Cons other than sometimes being short staffed and no real breaks.

Little too late.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for less than a year

Pros

Panera has a couple pros to it. While I worked there I worked with some great people that were dedicated to their job. They also offer great benefits.

Cons

I was in their training program to become a store manager and I was late once (due to pregnancy but they didn't know I was pregnant yet) and a few days later they fired me. I understand tardiness is frowned upon but not even a warning seemed a little excessive and the director of training was very unprofessional about it as well. Also, had to work 50-60 hours a week which would be fine but the salary did not match the work out in. Would never recommend working for this company, at least in Florida from what I have seen.

Give you employees the benefit if the doubt and don't just fire them with one mistake made.

Not good

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that you work with, the bakers are great, the baked bread is good and some of the food is exceptional.

Cons

Upper management is completely disconnected from field operations. In my particular are the dm was fake, this person did not make any effort to get to know the employees, was condescending rude, and an overall very untrustworthy person. The rate of pay for the amount of work that is required is low. I was in management and the expectations are crazy high with no support what so ever.

You are expected to maintain good ticket times at all times no excuses no matter what. The processes in place to create this good environment for the guest is tedious and redundant. Busy work to keep the manager not focused on the right things.

The rate of pay for associates is a joke and the lack of raises for the all associates is astounding. I worked with associates that have been with Panera for years that are barely making $10 per hour.

The culture that this company talks about in their training video's is absolutely non existent. The benefit is package is low compared with other companies.

Overall not a friendly place that you look forward too. And the customer base is demanding highly rude and inconsiderate. The new RPU program is difficult and just puts more pressure on associates to perform without making mistakes.

Bottom line if you want to feel undervalued, if you want to work for the least amount of money possible, getting a raise once a year that on average is anywhere from .08 to .25 cents, where u get treated like a number rather than a person then come work for Panera bread. This company does not care about anything except it's bottom dollar period. The associates and shift supervisors don't even get tips!!!!! Not a good place to work

Start sharing some of that money you guys are making. Reward good hard working people with good raises, tell them they did a good job, come and work with side by side rather than making them feel terrible for the one thing they did wrong. Stop changing everything (standards procedures) all the time. Have you ever heard the saying " if it is working why reshape the wheel". If you want better results and lower turnover and better loyalty fe your people, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THEM MORE MONEY. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE PEOPLE RATHER THAN SLAVES.

great quality of life

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

Pros

quality of life, work/life balance

Cons

bonuses are not that great, but advancement is there if you want it

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!