Panera Bread Reviews

3.1
1,291 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 76 reviews)

• Decent wage and free food at the end of the day if the managers are nice (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 27 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Standards you can rely on

Current Employee - Production Associate in La Habra, CA
    Current Employee - Production Associate in La Habra, CA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Standardized (franchise) systems, friendly co-workers, meal discount, safe work environment, healthy work environment, flexible with hours, well-mannered leadership

Cons

Tough work - often working at high stress levels, typically doing the job of two people, a lack of communication - because managers are busy they can forget to tell you to do this training, tell you about new procedures, etc.

Be more clear on communication as far as new procedures, and training - perhaps always meeting with the employee as shift starts to discuss what's going on, and to have them take any necessary training, etc. I do worry that the business model or food served is too "East Coast". Here in Orange County/LA we prefer things healthier, lighter, etc. I think broadening healthier options will improve stability and long-term success. i.e. vegetarian, gluten-free, etc.

Much more than I expected.

Current Employee - Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discounts given on food.

Cons

During my interview, I made it very clear that I was extremely busy during the school year and would only be available to work weekends, which they said they would work with. However, this was not the case, as they scheduled me 30 HOURS (I am a high school student) A WEEK, on top of going to school for 8-10 hours 5 days a week. I complained multiple times, but they continued to schedule me until I wrote down in the "time off" book, as they call it, every single day I needed off.

The management is not understanding in the least. They manipulate you, they guilt trip you, they abuse your employee status by making you feel as if you'll lose your job if you are unable to work a shift that they scheduled you for, even after telling them that you can only work specific times - which, honestly is not a loss at all. Also, they don't care in the least about your availability. My Monday - Friday availability was 5 P.M. to 10 P.M., and they constantly scheduled me at 3, then they'd get angry that I couldn't show up. Uh..!

More on the management, I had to call into work because I was unable to make a shift for a very good reason, and they got angry at me. So, to get back at me - yes, you read that right - they decided to not schedule me for 8 DAYS as "punishment" (although, it wasn't much of a punishment since I actually had free time). They are not understanding in the least, they don't care about any of their employees, and they're all extremely disorganized when it comes to scheduling.

Don't even get me started on the racism in the place. There was a girl who quit because a co-worker called her a racial slur, and the management MADE FUN OF THE GIRL FOR QUITTING. This environment is toxic, the co-workers are rude and negative so the experience is always awful, and overall, I would not recommend getting a job here, unless you like being overworked and underpaid, on top of being unappreciated.

Stop overscheduling your employees and realize that they have lives outside of Panera Bread. Also, hire more people so if someone calls a shift off, you can actually find someone to cover their shift instead of making someone close two things.

Was ok

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Home away from home,fun, had a strong culture at one time

Cons

To much going on for the concept and the staff

Listen to what the store manager have to say

Catering Coordinator

Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, good pay, tips, reimbursement of mileage.

Cons

morning shifts, overwhelming amount of catering orders somedays

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible hours and great atmosphere

Cons

Pay sucks no room to move up

More room to grow

Hourly Associate

Former Employee - Hourly Associate
    Former Employee - Hourly Associate

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bread Bash was the best part

Cons

Rude customers at times, and no benefits

Panera

Current Employee - Associate in Yorkville, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Yorkville, IL

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50-65% discount on food
    Other staff is friendly
    Health benefits if full time
    Decent food

Cons

Hard to get a lunch break in
    Customers often are ignored during slow periods
    E-learning area is filthy and noisy which makes it hard to hear or retain information
    When deliveries come in and you are working in the back of the house, it is hard to get things done as you are both in each others way.

Prep cook

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Because it's a company to grow up

Cons

Always do the best to make your service the quality

A good employee show intergrity

Okay, if you're not a dish washer...

Current Employee - Dishwasher
    Current Employee - Dishwasher

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am paid higher than minimum wage, co-workers are lovely, not a boring work environment. Managers are nice.

Cons

Late hours, makes it difficult to have homework and also complete it as a high school student. I was put on dish and constantly promised I would be put somewhere else to better contribute, but that was a month ago and I am still on dish. Great if you don't like fun or talking to people, but for me - it's not the ideal position.

Follow through with what you tell your employees.

Cashier job requires tough work but easy to get consistent hours if you work hard! Best for students.

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Augusta, GA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with a smile and you'll make real connections with customers, decent pay for a high school job, and shift managers are easily manipulated so you can rack up hours! Also, all free baked goods at the end of every night!!!!

Cons

Shift Managers can create "drama" in the workplace for fun, the general manager didn't do a great job of overseeing what the managers were up to- one got my home address off my application and sent me flowers at my home, etc.. Made me uncomfortable.

Raise cashier pay- I've noticed lately the cashiers are totally incompetent or MIA. Also train them to use the software- it's SO easy, no excuse for cashiers to be so confused about how to ring someone's meal up!