Panera Bread

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.0 1,100 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there(in 64 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work(in 24 reviews)

• can be far more stressful than is necessary out of a minimum wage job(in 41 reviews)

1,100 Employee Reviews

great environment

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosstrong crews
    good benefits
    great discount on food
    clean stores
    good training

Conscrew members paid more than shift managers
    many responsibilities for too low pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay shift managers more for their hard work

Panera is Great, but Covelli Ruins it.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros-Great co-workers.
    -Decent food.
    -Great customers (regulars).

Cons-Poor compensation package (salary, benefits, etc...)
    -Constant fear of Covelli visits.
    -Complete loss of what Panera Bread is (disregard Cultural Values and Concept Essence)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your in-store managers and associates far better. Not everything is about the bottom line. Don't forget what made Panera popular in the first place, instead implanting your own flawed idea of good service. Try to value customer service rather than obsessing over "the log."

Fun

Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFood, guests, good workers, and discounts

ConsHeavy load, smell,and lengthy hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a two way street. Panera Bread only looks to receive.

Associate (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsNice and friendly management. However, they did not inform/ train the employees with proper facts then crammed us with information before Auditor's visits.

ConsDoes not care about the hourly associates. There will be no raise. Friends who got promoted as Shift Managers still got paid their original wage, 7.85, which was less than what I made.

Four years of no growth.

ProsA lot of the employees are really nice and they start you off at an above average rate.

ConsThe management is poor and employees are often talked down to.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you make your employees feel like their job is important, they will be driven to do better.

Shift Supervisor

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Northern, KY

ProsGenerally you come for the paycheck, but stay for the people. The management and associates are generally a good mix and easy enough to get along with.
    They work well with school schedules, and there are almost always hours to be found if you want them.

ConsThey don't pay well, and expect a lot from their employees. The company's rhetorical culture speaks of great things, but the actual employees are omitted from the positive points within the company.

It's just disheartening to put so much care and effort into a business to ultimately realize that they don't care much for any of their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management - this is a multi million dollar company that customers and employees alike want to be goodwill ambassadors. Change your labor standards to take care of both. If the employees get overworked, they quit. If the customers aren't satisfied, then they go somewhere else too. To avoid this, you could just put one more person on the clock to help out.

Good for a Part-Time job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are nice and most of the customers are friendly.

ConsIf you don't like being on your feet i would not recommend this job.

Great company with good head on its shoulders.

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsYour coworkers can become some of your best friends, the company donates all the baked goods to nonprofits every night, CEO is very caring and concerned for the community.

ConsManagers could not seem to agree on the right way of doing things so sometimes you would do things one way and you would please one manager but get another one angry at you.

Not the dream job an I recommend nobody stays there an everybody go to school to get out of that place

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsI love how the customers would be happy to see my face every single time they walked in the doors. I meet some really cool friends but other then that... Nothing

ConsI use to love working for panera bread. After awhile I hated it! It was so much drama everybody in everybody's business. They could never keep employees every other day they were hiring more people or we was short staff. They raises we're very poor like 15 cent every 6 months! They uniforms sucked I think everybody should have name tags like the managers. Everyone's uniforms need to be the same. Another problem was BOH the managers would always throw the same person one dinning room everyday it is so annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was at panera for 2 years an the district manager never once said one single word to me I think that is very rude! You need to connect with all of the employees. I don't think management understands how hard it is sometimes. I think they should do things like undercover boss to see how it really feels!

Yumm.

Associate (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsI looooove the food! There are so many different things to try you can keep going and not get bored! As well as they donate to charity every night!

ConsNot always speedy to get the food out by 3 minutes.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!