Panera Bread

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.0 1,126 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights
1,126 Employee Reviews

Baker

Night Baker (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsYour alone, usually at most one other partner to get the bake done; You can play what ever music you'd like to listen to so long as you bring it. If you finish your bake early you can leave early.

ConsLearning curve to manage everything to performing a solo bake.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay-check pick up should be whenever I want to pick it up; should not have to structure my day around your rush hour to pick up my check.

Good food, good co-workers

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively easy job. Co-workers were all pleasant, hard-working, easy to get along with. Management responded to problems quickly, and they always kept you busy. Plus. You get to eat at Panera for relatively cheap. They hired me on at a better than average pay rate. Overall, great company.

ConsThe discount was only for one meal during your shift, and couldn't be used on a day off.
    The work does get to be repetitive. Sometimes you would have to pick up the slack of other employees, but that just kinda happens at all service jobs. Overall, not too many complaints.

Awesome company!

Day Baker (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsHappy vibe! Donation of leftover bread every night!

ConsCommunication is slow. Snobby customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good job, no room to really progress

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe company takes pride in its image and providing quality food and service. There is a strong emphasis on cleanliness and relationships with customers. I have a lot of regulars that I know by name and remember their order. Some of my managers have been really good about maintaining quality while remaining respectful of employees.

ConsScheduling is very unpredictable, and you don't have consistent hours. Quite a bit of gossip between managers and between employees. A lot of the younger employees slack off and leave others to do their work. My biggest problem with the company is the way they continually hire managers from outside the existing employee base. My GM is great, but some of my other managers have been petty and rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistently treat employees with respect and allow them to progress. Understand that the workload is a lot for the compensation received.

great environment

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosstrong crews
    good benefits
    great discount on food
    clean stores
    good training

Conscrew members paid more than shift managers
    many responsibilities for too low pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay shift managers more for their hard work

Yumm.

Associate (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsI looooove the food! There are so many different things to try you can keep going and not get bored! As well as they donate to charity every night!

ConsNot always speedy to get the food out by 3 minutes.

Great company with good head on its shoulders.

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsYour coworkers can become some of your best friends, the company donates all the baked goods to nonprofits every night, CEO is very caring and concerned for the community.

ConsManagers could not seem to agree on the right way of doing things so sometimes you would do things one way and you would please one manager but get another one angry at you.

Good for a Part-Time job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are nice and most of the customers are friendly.

ConsIf you don't like being on your feet i would not recommend this job.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery positive company that cares about the community.

ConsNot always practicing what they preach

It's an alright job

Baker Trainer (Current Employee)

ProsFreedom working alone, listening to music, chances to move up if you're good, pay is alright

ConsNight shift gets old, bakers get blamed for a lot, a lot of work with not a lot of time to do it, they are cracking down on a lot of hours

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecs should be guidelines, all of your bakers don't always follow specs and you know it. There is no possible way to get a $2,500+ bake done in 8 hours following all the specs exactly. I have worked before without a break and now they are cracking down trying to force breaks on us.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!