Panera Bread

Panera Bread Reviews in Saint Louis, MO

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there(in 64 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work(in 24 reviews)

• can be far more stressful than is necessary out of a minimum wage job(in 41 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ok place to work

Associate Trainer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFlexible working hours,discounted food,

ConsCan be very rude customers at times,

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotions from within the company.

Eh

Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCasual Dress Code, amazing! My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours

ConsThe salary isn't very competitive. The benefits aren't much to speak of, the associate pays a large ($$$) portion of the premium. Growth/promotional opportunities are really lacking. They tend to hire outside when given the chance. They were trying "summer hours" which was great especially if you have children but just recently took that away. There is a large push toward technology in the cafes, unfortunately most of what we do is all still in excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe NO Jerks policy that is considered one of the companies core cultural values is absolutely a joke. Some of the associates speak so terribly that I'm in shock. They send threats and demands and it's just awful. I often wonder if I would speak to anyone in the world the way they speak to co-workers or their employer. It's truly disheartening.

Growing restaurant company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat culture. Reasonable salary.

ConsFrequent change over several years. Change is necessary, but rate of change is a bit over the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify and validate that goals and expectations are actually aligned from top to bottom. There is a gap between what the COO and mum's are saying.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst job in 15yrs.

Production Line (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe workers are cool,discounts and fast paced

ConsGetting along with managers,drama,gossip,unfairness and no good benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need better least in St Louis,Mo a lot of managers power trip there need to be descpline.Also need to quite firing people cause they speakout and then fight there money wit lies to keep them from gettin their money.Thats not rgt.Panera is not what they claim to be.Treat ur workers btr.

Great company values but neglects employees

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsStrong presence in the community across the country. Good benefits and in-office perks. Clean environment. Generally nice co-workers in the building.

ConsPoor communication between departments, emphasis on work quantity over quality, does not reward exceptional employees or work to retain them at all. Company growing too fast without building strong foundation.

Employees needs are LAST

Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCoworkers and flexibility. There is room for advancement for very hard workers, who are willing to sacrifice their weekends, nights and holidays. The company profits are up and have been for a while and they are growing quickly.

ConsALWAYS looking to cut cost at employee expense. Everything is done to minimize cost without consideration for employees. Labor cost are monitored every hour and if business is down, you will get your hours cut. Most employees are worked under the amount of hours a week so you wont qualify for any vacation. There is no sick pay and very little benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen profits are so high, share it with the employees.

Hard work doesn't pay off

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGot experience in a fast-paced quick-serve restaurant. Worked my butt off and consistently rang $1000 days with almost-perfect accuracy.

ConsHours can be brutal. My store was chronically understaffed due to high turnover. Repetitive work performed while standing on concrete floors.
    I wanted to love working there because I like the food, but there was no incentive to stay- after 9 months I got a measly 13-cent per hour raise. Employer offered healthcare is expensive and doesn't cover much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your good employees!

Overall Good Experience

Associate (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat training and nice coworkers.

ConsManagement disregarded employees ask off requests and continued to schedule shifts during school hours

Panera Bred Experience

Marketing (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat culture and benefits for employees.

ConsOffice politics very heavy, makes it a difficult work enviroment.

Started out well, company lost sight of what made them successful. They got greedy.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsDuring college, I was able to work full time and go to school full time. They are fairly flexible as an employer in regards to schedule.

ConsThe hours are terrible, you have to work nearly every holiday. They removed/reduced bonuses without telling us and slowly took away freedoms. I could no longer give employees well deserved raises without regional director approval, which means I could not give them raises. I lost many employees to very mediocre companies and I would have to now say Panera is mediocre. They began cutting corners with quality several years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics, show your employees you value them. Instead of trying to do everything, do a few things very well.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!