Panther Expedited Services Reviews

R. Louis Schneeberger

1. It is a great place to be a contractor -driver

Former Contractor - Expedite Driver
    Former Contractor - Expedite Driver

I worked at Panther Expedited Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company took care of drivers, had plenty of miles and the pay was fantastic. When there was no freight close they would empty move to get loads. For the most part dispatchers really tried to keep the truck moving. The elite services dispatchers never let us down.

Cons

I knew what I was getting into but a lot of drivers did not get the fact you needed to stay out and run to be profitable. There is a turn over rate and the dispatchers in general freight can sometimes act like used car salesman. They will push junk loads and when you refuse change your availability settings on the computer.

Discipline dispatchers when they screw up. Have drivers/owners get by headquarters often for truck inspections,.

2. Buddy system or Kiss Butt

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Akron, OH

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

YES - I have seen some make tons of money in this company & others make just enough. Reason I had seen is that some are personal buddies with the people at Panther & are hand-fed great deals while others seem to live in the dark. Like some owner that "bully" the team persons that are hired onto their truck by Panther yet most are not monitored, checked on, or actually believed when they do try to talk about their experiences.
         Those at the top are paid for everything they do concerning their truck. Pay for: deadheading to the load; dry run (load was dropped during truck move); for delivering the load; MT truck move to a better location; fuel surcharge; layover pay; breakdown; for going into Canada or New York City. The owner that I was with was paid extremely well for all of this while others that I talked to were not offered much money for some.

Cons

Yes you can hire on here but there is no guarantee that you & your Dispatcher wind up close buddies or that you actually get to see let alone spend time with the people in the main office building!
         Many owners here are not checked on or monitored very well concerning their team person, log books of both, or how each is being treated.

You really need to "look at" the Log records & pay of any questionable teams & especially teams with the owner in the truck! The way a person "drives" that truck "IS" like our fingerprints or hand writing extremely unique to us! (the speed & length of time should show about the same from log sheet to log sheet) Unless the records are doctored.

3. Never Again

Former Contractor - Tractor/Reefer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Tractor/Reefer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Panther Expedited Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here 2 times totaling 4 years teaming with Husband 4 words to this review , A JOKE, RIPOFFS, SCAM, LIARS that's all I have to say

Cons

A JOKE, RIPOFFS, SCAM, LIARS that's all I have to say about that

SHUT THE DOORS!

11/18/2014. New contract drops yearly revenue by over $6000.00.

Current Contractor - Team Owner Operator in Seville, OH
    Current Contractor - Team Owner Operator in Seville, OH

I have been working at Panther Expedited Services as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

10 years with company. Perfect record in every way. One of Panthers top straight truck teams. Company was making progress until mid Nov. 2014 when we were all forced to sign the new contract. Company has begun to extract our profit centers making it impossible to earn a living wage.

Cons

New contract eliminates the actual fuel surcharge and replaces what is actually paid by customer with a national average rate on all loads.this alone will cost me in excess of $3,000 in the coming year. They have also eliminated the .30 cent bounce for the demanding, dangerous and time consuming D.O.D. loads. This change will drop my revenue by over $6,000 over the next year. 10 years of exemplary service and this is our reward.

My recommendation to any who are looking to join this company is to look elsewhere. Panther ii is a dead end offering less every year.

Respect and honor those who s performance and dedication lead the company and give them more of the pie instead of demanding they take less or move on.

Had an awesome 4 years and thinking of returning, so that should tell you something.

Current Employee - Straight-truck Driver
    Current Employee - Straight-truck Driver

I have been working at Panther Expedited Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They remember your name, they treat you like a person, and always there to help or just talk. They even keep track of how long I was out and helped me work towards home.

Cons

Never ran in to any cons.

Haven't dealt with the management in several years, but there's nothing I need to preach to the ones I did deal with.

HORRIBLE company to work for. You are a NUMBER in every sense of the word., and you can be replaced very easily.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Seville, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Seville, OH

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers. Period. At least in the department I was in.

Cons

Panther pays VERY LITTLE. There also are TOO MANY levels of management. For instance, my department included a team lead, a senior team lead, a supervisor, and the head of the (recruiting) department.

8. Overall good company, making money as a tractor trailer driver.

Former Employee - Tractor Trailer Driver in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Tractor Trailer Driver in Detroit, MI

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good with home time, most dispatchers are friendly and are genuine. Can make some serious money if you stay out for a month at least.

Cons

If you take leave for a month have to re-take orientation. They took away the rewards program. No insurance or benefits as a 1099 driver. They will give refusals without seeing why load was refused. Driver reps for all classes of vehicles a joke. No headquarter 24 hour facilities.

Bring back rewards plan, refresher, not full orientation for drivers that have been with company for more than 2 years, make dispatchers go for for a week before hire.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Air Freight in Seville, OH
    Former Employee - Air Freight in Seville, OH

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Had some great on call management that were out of state that were extremely knowledgeable and willing to take the time -over the phone- to teach.

Cons

shift changes without notice and without much of a choice. very poor workplace morale.

happy workplace environment makes for a better run and more productive business. (in my opinion)

Suck it up and move on

Former Employee - Logistics Professional High Value Product in Seville, OH
    Former Employee - Logistics Professional High Value Product in Seville, OH

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Made some rad new friends and I enjoyed the work I did. Everyday was different and some of the customers my department (high value product) worked with were really awesome.

Cons

After my manager cornered me in an office room, made sexual remarks, degraded me as a woman and mocked my intelligence, he continued to humiliate me by twisting and manipulating everything I did or said in front of other managers and human resources. He treated me like a joke instead of a person. I wouldn't have stayed so long if it wasn't for the people I met and the love I had for my job. The pay isn't great and the hours sucked but it was definitely an interesting job with a younger group of professionals.

Discipline is highly needed. Managers stir up more drama in that place than a high schooler in study hall. Training could be greatly improved and be open to listening to employee concerns.

Panther is a Scam

Former Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Seville, OH
    Former Employee - Straight Truck Driver in Seville, OH

I worked at Panther Expedited Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get to work for free, get to sit at truck stops for days at a time, never see your family or have a life

Cons

These people are Liars, don't fall for their scam. Worked there for 2 weeks as a driver and was told that I owed them $800. Didn't make a dime.

Stop scamming your drivers and maybe they'd last longer than a few weeks. Maybe then you wouldn't need to hire 100 people per week just to stay in business.