Papa Gino's Holdings

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
2.3

Rick Wolf

it wasnt bad, if i had a different manager I would still be there.

Current Employee - Pizza Bench in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Pizza Bench in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good discounts on food, usually good people to work with, not difficult work

Cons

obviously dinner rush is hard to handle at the start. time off policies vary by manager.

managers play favorites , do not schedule fairly. asked why given consistently low hours despite large availability, no helpful answer given.

Started off great, ended not so well

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Allows for a flexible work schedule. There is always an opportunity to learn if you make it known you wish to expand your knowledge. Training programs were helpful. Coworkers were typically friendly and energetic.

Cons

Management would not take responsibility for their actions and would point the blame at someone else. You will often working longer than your scheduled shift. Benefits were just "ok"

No Respect

Current Employee - Dishes & Delivery in Acton, MA
    Current Employee - Dishes & Delivery in Acton, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People get along socially here pretty well.

Cons

Management play a lot of favoritism when deciding how to treat employeesBush

COMPLETELY PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES!

The first time I saw them reject someone for a job because of a disability should have been the first red flag that I saw.

I started off working just doing dishes. At the time my license to drive was temporarily suspended due to the fact that I was recovering from a brain surgery I had a couple years before to help with my epilepsy. As soon as I got my license back they decided to have me do delivery as well as dishes. I wanted to learn to work in any other department as well so that I could be another person they could call in to fill in for someone who might call in sick. They never really told me why but they really didn't like that part of my attitude and that was my first hint that it was time to look for a new job. Later while on the job doing dishes I had my first seizure ever since the surgery and it was a very emotionally horrible time in my life. Unfortunately according to Massachusetts state law every time an epileptic person has a seizure they have to spend six months seizure free before they can drive again, because of this I was not able to do deliveries. I assumed it would not be such a bad thing because they could use this time to help me learn other departments as I would like to for the reasons that I stated before. Unfortunately however the management used this as a reason to lower my number of hours on the schedule into less than half of what they were when I first started. I tried to talk to them about this many times, and tried to ask them to bring my number of hours back up to what they were before the seizure, I even tried explaining to them that what they are doing is a violation of the terms of the Americans with disabilities act and therefore is also a violation of United States national law. I had this conversation with them many times and they still kept refusing to bring my number of hours back up. If this workplace is ever going to get any positive reviews at all the first thing they have to do is to each their managers the terms of the ADA and the fact that what ever the ADA says is what goes as long as you are doing business in America. The only way I am willing to forgive this is if they do two more things, first pull up my records and pay me all of the money for the number of hours that were illegally removed from my schedule, and second donate at least 10 times that amount of money to the epilepsy foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

I am really serious when I say that I have no respect for any company that refuses to accept and follow the terms of the ADA. Because of this, just like any other business that refuses to follow the terms of the ADA Papa Gino's is not a business in my point of view anymore, it is a piece of trash.

Please note: I only gave Papa Gino's one star on this review because glassdoor.com will not let me give you zero.

I love the food and people, hate the upper mgmt

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fitchburg, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fitchburg, MA

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The food is great, you create a great product, you work with your hands. The people who work there are great people

Cons

upper mgmt is dumb. the bonus scheme for restaurant mgrs was suspended, and food prices make the margins too small. Focus is on new products with higher margins, but the old recipes are what keeps people coming back,.

Pay the workers more to keep quality workers. It is a shame to spend a lot of time and money to train new employees, just to have them leave for a job that pays a quarter more per hour!

Interesting Experience

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor Locks, CT
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Other employees are fun to work with. If your into blackmail you can move up/get raises quickly. Non-salary pay is about average with industry.

Cons

Company has a "Everyone is replaceable" attitude. I had to have a lawyer call them multiple times over them refusing to follow laws and was then told my opinion about what to do different was not important to them. I worked up to a shift leader and then got the run around for internal promotion while I watched 6+ outside hires get brought in and fail due to the lack of company support and high stress levels. They over emphasize customers, 1 complaint and you are fired(according to a recent email sent 2 months ago) and they will not hear your side. Salaries generally look down on hourly employees and offer no compassion or lee way for sickness. If your sick come in and if you throw up in store hide out back until that round of customers is gone then get back to work. Overall I learned a lot of life lessons and got some mgmt XP but terrible place to work for.

LISTEN to us hourly employees. We know what works in the markets and what doesn't. Either that or actually come out of your office in Dedham once a year and come see outside of Boston(still never met Rick). Get internal promotions as a priority not a "If we cant find someone else". There is more underpaid and noticed talent in your company than I've seen in the 6 others I've worked for and everyone of them quits because you wont recognize our accomplishments but only scold our failures. If you decide to actually read this Remember what we did in Windsor locks. All we got was scolding. Hi Celeste.

Going downhill.....and picking up speed

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, competitive salary, decent training, free meals for management, Papa's has it all

Cons

Except too put in way more than the company standard of 48 hour per week, especially if you want to be successful and advance. There is minimal time for administrative work. They have recently changed upper management....again. This sends mixed messages to folks at the restaurant level as there is constantly conflicting areas of focus

Get back to basics, show some compassion by offering some sort of benefits package to lower level employees and maybe they will want to work there.

Good low level job if you need experience in food service.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I've worked with are pretty cool, very laid back. Super easy to work, the in house managers are pretty nice. They're pretty willing to work with your schedules as long as you keep them updated, and work with them. Good entry level job if you'd like to get some experience in, easy if you already have experience in food service.

Cons

Pretty poor management, they could do a lot better if they cared to or would try. Awful training system: read a book, then enjoy! A few people pretty much carry the whole store and they've been working here for five years or more. It's pretty common for one person to do everything and everyone else to just sit around and daydream. Customers are some of the worst and rudest I have ever experienced before. Scaling in pay doesn't really make moving up in the company appealing at all, unless you enjoy getting screwed.

Work Review

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many hours available from company. Work is always available.

Cons

Management is under-qualified and inexperienced.

Disgruntled employees, angry belligerent customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-some of the people that work there are awesome people.
    -50% off $10 or less for team members
    -Free meal of $ 10 or less for shift leader, managers, GM, DM

Cons

- recently they have released a statement they forced employees to sign saying that they have a "zero tolerance" for rude behavior towards customers (not counting toward any other employees because they don't care about employees feelings) if a customer complain that's you did something that could in anyway be considered rude you will be terminated immediately.

-if a customer comes screaming and swearing at you with a pizza from another restaurant and says that you made it wrong and they demand a refund you must remake it and refund it. If you refuse and they complain to corporate that you were rude. You will be fire. That's week your on the street. BUT if you're a dead beat employees that gets high everyday talks back to your managers and messes up orders all the time you'll keep your job!!! What a joke. So completely awesome employees that accidentally get some drunk or disgruntled customers having a bad day and calls or emails corporate to complain they get fired.

-they never train staff correctly they pretty much throw you in on the bussiest day and it's sink or swim. I've witnessed many never return after their first day. They other just struggle to never fully do things correctly and always cut corners.
    - very low/inconsistent pay
    - some team members start at $8 an hour and work like slaves and actually care to barely get a 50 cent raise in 6 months to a year (unless you're a driver then you will Never be given a raise) while others are horrible at their jobs but put up a stink and get paid 9.50 at start training for the same promotion.
    - the regional manager I originally had was a jerk and would visit and tell members to stop what they were doing to do one thing the yell at them for stopping what they were originally do and make an example of them. I witnessed this happen to many others and experienced it myself once. It made many members think would just be difficult for no reason. No idea how the new one is hopefully way better.
    - higher up does not care about it's employees and does not sufficiently set up stores to succeed. They cut hours and still expect training to be done.
    -Some store GMs will schedule managers, team member, and shift leaders to work the toughest days like Halloween, the 4th of July, new years eve, or good Friday and NOT scheduled themselves those days while saying nobody can request those days off. Wich is very hypocritical and unprofessional.

Actually empower employees don't strip them of all their rights. You will loose your good employees and keep the crappy ones and just continue your high turnover rate.

"It's Just Pizza"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours- Long. Paid and scheduled for 48; prepair to put in closer to 60- Your latest nights will be midnight and your earliest mornings 6am.
    Weekly Checks- Really, who's still paying their employees on Fridays?!
    System- Cool, great idea (some bugs)
    Senior Management- very involved and really care. They look out for their people and really want to get to good quality of life.
    Days Off- you will be scheduled one day off during week and one day off on weekend- usually what ever is in favor or the GM or the store needs
    Paid Time Off- 2 Personal Days and 5 Sick Days a year and 10 days Vacation Time. Hard to get the time when YOU want it, but it's there.

Cons

The Paperwork- there is no real budgeted (paid) hours alloted for admid. If you're new, or trying to 'self premote', your learning curves will be on your own time.
    No Bonus- Some where in the middle of the second quater you'll be given a budget- You will be expected to lead your team to hit (challenging but acheievable) goals. If you hit these goals, and bucket to the bottom line, you prove yourself sucessful and are recongize among your peers, and by your team.
    The Office- They have great intentions and most of them have been there for 20 years. Some see 20 years of mistakes others see experience. Your stand really depends on what your inquiry/issue is, but both statments are true. They want to be user friendly, but have poor follow up skills and are only in the office (are available to us in the field) Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30/5ish.
    Vendors- Who wants their truck in the middle of lunch?! After asking, via 3 emails, if we could push our trucks delivery time to after 1:30 (and not 11:45/noon) we got a shotty response: 'We operate as a business Mon thru Sat only and can't satisfy all requests for scheduled deliveries'
    Phone Calls/Personal Time- If you are the GM, acting GM or the Manager left in charge- you will always been looped in and considered 'in charge'. TM problems, cash issues, alarms, delivey driver accidents, equipement problems- are all your problems. Time off is hardlty respected by teams, managers and district managers.

Don't trust (papa ginos) recruters
    If you dont like your DM & GM is probably wont work
    If you need experience, and are willing to work for the title, this is a GREAT resume/skill building job
    If you need Serve Safe, Allergen Awarness or CPR on your resume- this is a great job for that

look at this like a beginner to management-