Papa Gino's Holdings

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
2.2

Rick Wolf

Started off great, ended not so well

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Allows for a flexible work schedule. There is always an opportunity to learn if you make it known you wish to expand your knowledge. Training programs were helpful. Coworkers were typically friendly and energetic.

Cons

Management would not take responsibility for their actions and would point the blame at someone else. You will often working longer than your scheduled shift. Benefits were just "ok"

I love the food and people, hate the upper mgmt

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Fitchburg, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fitchburg, MA

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The food is great, you create a great product, you work with your hands. The people who work there are great people

Cons

upper mgmt is dumb. the bonus scheme for restaurant mgrs was suspended, and food prices make the margins too small. Focus is on new products with higher margins, but the old recipes are what keeps people coming back,.

Pay the workers more to keep quality workers. It is a shame to spend a lot of time and money to train new employees, just to have them leave for a job that pays a quarter more per hour!

Interesting Experience

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  Windsor Locks, CT
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Other employees are fun to work with. If your into blackmail you can move up/get raises quickly. Non-salary pay is about average with industry.

Cons

Company has a "Everyone is replaceable" attitude. I had to have a lawyer call them multiple times over them refusing to follow laws and was then told my opinion about what to do different was not important to them. I worked up to a shift leader and then got the run around for internal promotion while I watched 6+ outside hires get brought in and fail due to the lack of company support and high stress levels. They over emphasize customers, 1 complaint and you are fired(according to a recent email sent 2 months ago) and they will not hear your side. Salaries generally look down on hourly employees and offer no compassion or lee way for sickness. If your sick come in and if you throw up in store hide out back until that round of customers is gone then get back to work. Overall I learned a lot of life lessons and got some mgmt XP but terrible place to work for.

LISTEN to us hourly employees. We know what works in the markets and what doesn't. Either that or actually come out of your office in Dedham once a year and come see outside of Boston(still never met Rick). Get internal promotions as a priority not a "If we cant find someone else". There is more underpaid and noticed talent in your company than I've seen in the 6 others I've worked for and everyone of them quits because you wont recognize our accomplishments but only scold our failures. If you decide to actually read this Remember what we did in Windsor locks. All we got was scolding. Hi Celeste.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good low level job if you need experience in food service.

Current Employee - Grill Cook  in  Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people I've worked with are pretty cool, very laid back. Super easy to work, the in house managers are pretty nice. They're pretty willing to work with your schedules as long as you keep them updated, and work with them. Good entry level job if you'd like to get some experience in, easy if you already have experience in food service.

Cons

Pretty poor management, they could do a lot better if they cared to or would try. Awful training system: read a book, then enjoy! A few people pretty much carry the whole store and they've been working here for five years or more. It's pretty common for one person to do everything and everyone else to just sit around and daydream. Customers are some of the worst and rudest I have ever experienced before. Scaling in pay doesn't really make moving up in the company appealing at all, unless you enjoy getting screwed.

Going downhill.....and picking up speed

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, competitive salary, decent training, free meals for management, Papa's has it all

Cons

Except too put in way more than the company standard of 48 hour per week, especially if you want to be successful and advance. There is minimal time for administrative work. They have recently changed upper management....again. This sends mixed messages to folks at the restaurant level as there is constantly conflicting areas of focus

Get back to basics, show some compassion by offering some sort of benefits package to lower level employees and maybe they will want to work there.

Work Review

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many hours available from company. Work is always available.

Cons

Management is under-qualified and inexperienced.

Disgruntled employees, angry belligerent customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

-some of the people that work there are awesome people.
    -50% off $10 or less for team members
    -Free meal of $ 10 or less for shift leader, managers, GM, DM

Cons

- recently they have released a statement they forced employees to sign saying that they have a "zero tolerance" for rude behavior towards customers (not counting toward any other employees because they don't care about employees feelings) if a customer complain that's you did something that could in anyway be considered rude you will be terminated immediately.

-if a customer comes screaming and swearing at you with a pizza from another restaurant and says that you made it wrong and they demand a refund you must remake it and refund it. If you refuse and they complain to corporate that you were rude. You will be fire. That's week your on the street. BUT if you're a dead beat employees that gets high everyday talks back to your managers and messes up orders all the time you'll keep your job!!! What a joke. So completely awesome employees that accidentally get some drunk or disgruntled customers having a bad day and calls or emails corporate to complain they get fired.

-they never train staff correctly they pretty much throw you in on the bussiest day and it's sink or swim. I've witnessed many never return after their first day. They other just struggle to never fully do things correctly and always cut corners.
    - very low/inconsistent pay
    - some team members start at $8 an hour and work like slaves and actually care to barely get a 50 cent raise in 6 months to a year (unless you're a driver then you will Never be given a raise) while others are horrible at their jobs but put up a stink and get paid 9.50 at start training for the same promotion.
    - the regional manager I originally had was a jerk and would visit and tell members to stop what they were doing to do one thing the yell at them for stopping what they were originally do and make an example of them. I witnessed this happen to many others and experienced it myself once. It made many members think would just be difficult for no reason. No idea how the new one is hopefully way better.
    - higher up does not care about it's employees and does not sufficiently set up stores to succeed. They cut hours and still expect training to be done.
    -Some store GMs will schedule managers, team member, and shift leaders to work the toughest days like Halloween, the 4th of July, new years eve, or good Friday and NOT scheduled themselves those days while saying nobody can request those days off. Wich is very hypocritical and unprofessional.

Actually empower employees don't strip them of all their rights. You will loose your good employees and keep the crappy ones and just continue your high turnover rate.

"It's Just Pizza"

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours- Long. Paid and scheduled for 48; prepair to put in closer to 60- Your latest nights will be midnight and your earliest mornings 6am.
    Weekly Checks- Really, who's still paying their employees on Fridays?!
    System- Cool, great idea (some bugs)
    Senior Management- very involved and really care. They look out for their people and really want to get to good quality of life.
    Days Off- you will be scheduled one day off during week and one day off on weekend- usually what ever is in favor or the GM or the store needs
    Paid Time Off- 2 Personal Days and 5 Sick Days a year and 10 days Vacation Time. Hard to get the time when YOU want it, but it's there.

Cons

The Paperwork- there is no real budgeted (paid) hours alloted for admid. If you're new, or trying to 'self premote', your learning curves will be on your own time.
    No Bonus- Some where in the middle of the second quater you'll be given a budget- You will be expected to lead your team to hit (challenging but acheievable) goals. If you hit these goals, and bucket to the bottom line, you prove yourself sucessful and are recongize among your peers, and by your team.
    The Office- They have great intentions and most of them have been there for 20 years. Some see 20 years of mistakes others see experience. Your stand really depends on what your inquiry/issue is, but both statments are true. They want to be user friendly, but have poor follow up skills and are only in the office (are available to us in the field) Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30/5ish.
    Vendors- Who wants their truck in the middle of lunch?! After asking, via 3 emails, if we could push our trucks delivery time to after 1:30 (and not 11:45/noon) we got a shotty response: 'We operate as a business Mon thru Sat only and can't satisfy all requests for scheduled deliveries'
    Phone Calls/Personal Time- If you are the GM, acting GM or the Manager left in charge- you will always been looped in and considered 'in charge'. TM problems, cash issues, alarms, delivey driver accidents, equipement problems- are all your problems. Time off is hardlty respected by teams, managers and district managers.

Don't trust (papa ginos) recruters
    If you dont like your DM & GM is probably wont work
    If you need experience, and are willing to work for the title, this is a GREAT resume/skill building job
    If you need Serve Safe, Allergen Awarness or CPR on your resume- this is a great job for that

look at this like a beginner to management-

Up's and downs

Current Employee - Grill Cook
    Current Employee - Grill Cook

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the managers are awesome. Somewhat upbeat/easygoing atmosphere except for when it gets really busy. Not very stringent and only stressful during the very busy hours.

Cons

Certain managers only care about their own gain and not the employees at all. Low pay, hard work. Can be overwhelmingly busy. Certain people will "carry" the company while others -- who get paid the same -- do no-call-no-shows, or worse, and still don't get fired.

There is little franchise owners can do. The big boys really need to conduct some employee surveys, or check out this site, and fix the problems that they leave the managers to deal with.

Poorly managed and profits come first

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time

Pros

They always need new employees

Cons

Inconsistent on everything and profits always come first

Worked for Papa Gino's Holdings? Contribute to the Community!