Papa Gino's Holdings

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.3

Rick Wolf

Fun atmosphere and nice people made a stressful job enjoyable

Former Employee - Bench Cook in Middletown, RI
    Former Employee - Bench Cook in Middletown, RI

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours form well around classes while in school.

Cons

Barely above minimum wage, work to late at night, stressful environment.

it wasnt bad, if i had a different manager I would still be there.

Current Employee - Pizza Bench in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Pizza Bench in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good discounts on food, usually good people to work with, not difficult work

Cons

obviously dinner rush is hard to handle at the start. time off policies vary by manager.

managers play favorites , do not schedule fairly. asked why given consistently low hours despite large availability, no helpful answer given.

Not what it used to be.

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are O.K. The longer you're with the company the better they get, but they are never great. My area manager was a really great guy, sadly he was let go not to long ago because his numbers weren't up to snuff. If you express a desire to learn and move up in the company it is possible to rise up, but there is a chance that you won't be fully trained to take on your new position and you'll have to learn a lot on the fly.

Cons

Working at Papa Ginos once felt like working for a family. Those who ran the company years ago treated their employees as if they cared about them. If you were a good worker you got praised and received recognition from the company. At some point in the not too distant past things changed. We got new leadership, essentially an investment company bought Papas and made a ton of changes. A lot of people who had been with the company for many years were let go. Now it's not like a family anymore. I mean we're owned by a bank basically so it's a much colder atmosphere where people now take second place to profits. Where once the focus seemed to be on finding and rewarding those who were loyal and hardworking now the focus seems to be on firing anyone that stands in the way of the bottom line.

Corporate needs to have more empathy for what happens at the restaurant level. Don't treat every restaurant in a cookie cutter fashion expecting every restaurant to hit the same goals despite their differences. Putting pressure on store mgmt to achieve difficult to impossible goals typically leads to cheating the system to make results look better. Your people work hard day in and day out, recognize that and appreciate it. You pay us salary for 48 hours a week but we all know that most mgmt work way more hours than that without compensation. Essentially we work 1 in 5 hours for free and sometimes more.

Started off great, ended not so well

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Allows for a flexible work schedule. There is always an opportunity to learn if you make it known you wish to expand your knowledge. Training programs were helpful. Coworkers were typically friendly and energetic.

Cons

Management would not take responsibility for their actions and would point the blame at someone else. You will often working longer than your scheduled shift. Benefits were just "ok"

No Respect

Current Employee - Dishes & Delivery in Acton, MA
    Current Employee - Dishes & Delivery in Acton, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People get along socially here pretty well.

Cons

Management play a lot of favoritism when deciding how to treat employeesBush

COMPLETELY PREJUDICE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES!

The first time I saw them reject someone for a job because of a disability should have been the first red flag that I saw.

I started off working just doing dishes. At the time my license to drive was temporarily suspended due to the fact that I was recovering from a brain surgery I had a couple years before to help with my epilepsy. As soon as I got my license back they decided to have me do delivery as well as dishes. I wanted to learn to work in any other department as well so that I could be another person they could call in to fill in for someone who might call in sick. They never really told me why but they really didn't like that part of my attitude and that was my first hint that it was time to look for a new job. Later while on the job doing dishes I had my first seizure ever since the surgery and it was a very emotionally horrible time in my life. Unfortunately according to Massachusetts state law every time an epileptic person has a seizure they have to spend six months seizure free before they can drive again, because of this I was not able to do deliveries. I assumed it would not be such a bad thing because they could use this time to help me learn other departments as I would like to for the reasons that I stated before. Unfortunately however the management used this as a reason to lower my number of hours on the schedule into less than half of what they were when I first started. I tried to talk to them about this many times, and tried to ask them to bring my number of hours back up to what they were before the seizure, I even tried explaining to them that what they are doing is a violation of the terms of the Americans with disabilities act and therefore is also a violation of United States national law. I had this conversation with them many times and they still kept refusing to bring my number of hours back up. If this workplace is ever going to get any positive reviews at all the first thing they have to do is to each their managers the terms of the ADA and the fact that what ever the ADA says is what goes as long as you are doing business in America. The only way I am willing to forgive this is if they do two more things, first pull up my records and pay me all of the money for the number of hours that were illegally removed from my schedule, and second donate at least 10 times that amount of money to the epilepsy foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

I am really serious when I say that I have no respect for any company that refuses to accept and follow the terms of the ADA. Because of this, just like any other business that refuses to follow the terms of the ADA Papa Gino's is not a business in my point of view anymore, it is a piece of trash.

Please note: I only gave Papa Gino's one star on this review because glassdoor.com will not let me give you zero.

I love the food and people, hate the upper mgmt

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fitchburg, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fitchburg, MA

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The food is great, you create a great product, you work with your hands. The people who work there are great people

Cons

upper mgmt is dumb. the bonus scheme for restaurant mgrs was suspended, and food prices make the margins too small. Focus is on new products with higher margins, but the old recipes are what keeps people coming back,.

Pay the workers more to keep quality workers. It is a shame to spend a lot of time and money to train new employees, just to have them leave for a job that pays a quarter more per hour!

Interesting Experience

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor Locks, CT
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Other employees are fun to work with. If your into blackmail you can move up/get raises quickly. Non-salary pay is about average with industry.

Cons

Company has a "Everyone is replaceable" attitude. I had to have a lawyer call them multiple times over them refusing to follow laws and was then told my opinion about what to do different was not important to them. I worked up to a shift leader and then got the run around for internal promotion while I watched 6+ outside hires get brought in and fail due to the lack of company support and high stress levels. They over emphasize customers, 1 complaint and you are fired(according to a recent email sent 2 months ago) and they will not hear your side. Salaries generally look down on hourly employees and offer no compassion or lee way for sickness. If your sick come in and if you throw up in store hide out back until that round of customers is gone then get back to work. Overall I learned a lot of life lessons and got some mgmt XP but terrible place to work for.

LISTEN to us hourly employees. We know what works in the markets and what doesn't. Either that or actually come out of your office in Dedham once a year and come see outside of Boston(still never met Rick). Get internal promotions as a priority not a "If we cant find someone else". There is more underpaid and noticed talent in your company than I've seen in the 6 others I've worked for and everyone of them quits because you wont recognize our accomplishments but only scold our failures. If you decide to actually read this Remember what we did in Windsor locks. All we got was scolding. Hi Celeste.

Going downhill.....and picking up speed

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, competitive salary, decent training, free meals for management, Papa's has it all

Cons

Except too put in way more than the company standard of 48 hour per week, especially if you want to be successful and advance. There is minimal time for administrative work. They have recently changed upper management....again. This sends mixed messages to folks at the restaurant level as there is constantly conflicting areas of focus

Get back to basics, show some compassion by offering some sort of benefits package to lower level employees and maybe they will want to work there.

Good low level job if you need experience in food service.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I've worked with are pretty cool, very laid back. Super easy to work, the in house managers are pretty nice. They're pretty willing to work with your schedules as long as you keep them updated, and work with them. Good entry level job if you'd like to get some experience in, easy if you already have experience in food service.

Cons

Pretty poor management, they could do a lot better if they cared to or would try. Awful training system: read a book, then enjoy! A few people pretty much carry the whole store and they've been working here for five years or more. It's pretty common for one person to do everything and everyone else to just sit around and daydream. Customers are some of the worst and rudest I have ever experienced before. Scaling in pay doesn't really make moving up in the company appealing at all, unless you enjoy getting screwed.

Work Review

I worked at Papa Gino's Holdings part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many hours available from company. Work is always available.

Cons

Management is under-qualified and inexperienced.