Papa John's

Papa John's Reviews in Charlotte, NC

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter

John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver(in 31 reviews)

• Better than other starter jobs- if the customer complains, throw them a free pizza(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You make less than minimum wage without the chance of moving up(in 27 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4(in 13 reviews)

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

GM

General Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAwesome Atmosphere, good pay, fun place to work and I enjoyed making pizza, fun customers!

ConsLong hours, work six days a week, pressure to keep up with numbers. Rude customers

Advice to Senior ManagementMore LSM!

Wouldn't do it again

Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsManagement pay is decent but you cap out if you're just a shift manager and it's very difficult to get a raise. Drivers make decent money (more than lower management) if full time. Ok for part time students.

ConsMost stressful environment I've ever worked in. All managers are under the same pressure as the general manager with frequent threats to your job. I know of an employee that passed away from a heart attack while on the job in his late 20's. Another was advised to quit by a doctor after a panic attack in which he thought was a heart attack. They pay GM's less now than they did 3-4 years ago. Terrible hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where it's due and make every perform equally

Family type environment you become pretty close with fellow co workers

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

Prosas long as you work hard and try to learn new things it can be easy to climb up in the company

Conseven though it is fairly easy to move up not sure the pay is worth the extra work

Advice to Senior Managementpay should be increased but is about average with all other major shops my advice go get a higher education

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job, just don't make a career out of it

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

Prosit's a job. free pizza/drinks

ConsUpper management for this company owned store in Charlotte, NC was incompetent (and i'm being nice). no room for constructive feedback. District Managers and General Managers only cared about numbers. The District Manager in charge of my store had no idea what he was doing and openly bashed the previous DM (even though the previous DM got a promotion). Employees were repeatedly reminded that they were expendable. Pay was not acceptable for what was required from management. Bonuses were unattainable. Driver's are repeatedly getting the short end. Papa John should be ashamed of himself for how his corporate run stores are operating.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees, who help make you the money, as people and not numbers. Listen to constructive criticism from the people on the front lines. Pay management better. Maybe John Schnatter should take that billion dollars in profits and invest it into paying his employees better. Better pay, better employees.

Company pays less than minimum wage.

Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsFlexible hours, comfortable shoes, and interesting co-workers.

ConsUnderpaid and undervalued.
    Insane co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale is related to how you treat them.

Recessions workers

Pizza Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

Pros1) get some cash from tips every night, hopefully gas doesn't est into too much.
    2) free pizza to make your kids happy ( occasionally on bad orders)
    3) free slice of pizza if you are not tired of it.
    4) meet plenty of people as the workers come and go ( so do network by all means)..
    5) don't worry about being a felon or a drug test.

Cons1) opening drivers do all deliveries, make pizza, slap dough, prep food, date and stock, and much more.
    2) closing drivers get to do all deliveries across sectors and then wipe counters, sweep flour from the tile crevices, mop, set up store, and etc. No bonus at all with this extra work.
    3) never get a raise after receiving "you an asset to papa john review."
    4) work well beyond your schedule leave time if it is busy.
    5) wait to clock in if it is slow as much as 2 hours but they want you to wait around off the clock until it business picks up.
    6) Watch your 6 constantly cause it is the 5th most dangerous job to do. Plus it is minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving to so much to unproven GM and shift leaders that manipulate service percentages by learning passwords, appreciate the bottom so called unskilled workers some bonus as well. They do get the food to the end user.

Sucks

Pizza Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsDrivers spend much of their time alone in their cars.
    Bizarre things happen that you just could not make up - sometimes they're funny.

ConsIt is difficult to go to work everyday for a company that has so clearly shown its disdain for the people on their front line.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale at the unit level is at a catastrophic low, and with good reason. The disconnect between Louisville and the individual units has become a canyon.

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!