Papa John's

Papa John's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter

John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver(in 31 reviews)

• Better than other starter jobs- if the customer complains, throw them a free pizza(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You make less than minimum wage without the chance of moving up(in 27 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4(in 13 reviews)

It started off well

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Middletown, NY

ProsMost of the staff I grew close to, calling them my friends, even as I went from driver to shift leader.

ConsAt will policy is abused from management side. Missed a day? First and only warning. Some don't even get that. Many employees are ones who have never had a job before, which is fine, but management never takes the time to actually get to know the potential employee before hiring them, usually on the spot.

There is next to no room to grow. If there's a managerial spot open and you know all the skills, then you -may- be asked if you want the position. Other than that, drivers stay drivers, and shift leaders get nothing else. There's no benefits from being a manager: no consistent work schedule, no benefits, no incentives to do more. Hours can fluctuate drastically, and can stay like that for long periods of time. I was working an easy 38+ hours when I started, and even though business has picked up, my hours have been slowly cut over the past months, sitting just about 33 hours, and that's with closing times scheduled into it, which you never actually get to work.

The owners pinch every penny they can, quick to cut corners and hours whenever they can. No one wants to be stuck here due to the fact that the pay is lacking, the hours are dwindling, and they fail to properly train new hires, dumping everything onto the shift leaders, who are overworked and underpaid. We're expected to drop whatever we're doing (even if we're out of town or on vacation), and rush to their aid whenever they want, but if we request the same, we're snubbed and told to deal with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your shift leaders and drivers. You may be here at the end of the day if we all quit or if you fire all of us, but without us, you have no one to run your store.

Driving is great

Pizza Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Biloxi, MS

ProsGood money, interesting people, fast pace but an overall easy job, not a ton of stress, and as a driver you aren't restricted to the store so a whole night of driving around listening to what you want to listen to, and making good money.

ConsSome interesting people are interesting in a bad way. I was physically threatened by another drive because he thought I took one of his runs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for drivers as far as what the delivery zone is like and more than just a couple hours riding along before going off on your own.

Worst company ever.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pros at what so ever.

ConsManagers, drivers, insiders have ZERO work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone that actually CARES.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All talk no money! !!! High expectations but minimum training.

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSteady hours usually. ..you can work at 2 or 3 different stores at the same time

ConsUnrealistic expectations, very hard to get a raise. ..they don't care about their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress high turnover ratio

Dont work there... There a wast of time.

Pizza Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Loganville, GA

ProsEveryone has great moods most of the time. Very good fun family environment in management staff.

ConsAll young employees who don't care. Never room for moving up unless you are part of the family or worked there for 9 years. not much training just put in a car and go. No one gets hours. They tell you you can get $200 in tips a night on the weekends but that's not true. They hire like 20 drivers and all drivers work every weekend. So, with all drivers working you cant get pass 25 trips IF you know the area and know were every house is. (back to being there for 9years). If they only had 5 drivers a night you would be able to make money. I would use half a tank of gas a night so after you $5.00 a hour paycheck you don't make money. even with tips because half the time you drive 25mins to a house who only tips $2-3.00...

Advice to Senior ManagementI know family comes first but i would put more than family as management. Most of them couldn't count so they rounded up on what you owe to company. Oh by the way having one black manger and everyone else in the family doesn't count.

Did not feel valued as a worker.

Cashier/Food Handler (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsCoworkers were great and made the job bearable. We had a sort of "suffering together" attitude.

ConsMinimum wage jobs are not fun anyway, but this company should treat the workers as more than pawns to make a profit. Regulations, rules, and compensation reflected very poor attitudes towards us workers. My in-store boss seemed sympathetic, though there wasn't a lot he could do within the rules pressed upon him from higher up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value your workers by treating them fairly and paying them fairly. Do not punish them when you are pressured into treating them slightly better.

unorganized

Shift Manager/Driver (Current Employee) Libertyville, IL

Prosopportunity for advancement early on, get to listen to music and drive around.

ConsChanges schedule on a whim without notice, either very slow or very fast,

Advice to Senior Managementdon't do it, its a trap.

Fun, eventful, however...

ProsGreat co-workers, opportunity to grow, networking, fun atmosphere, easy to catch on, fun making pizzas, flexible hours

ConsLow pay, chaotic at times, some lazy co-workers, management issues, can't keep drivers to save ones life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the general managers boss, let the gm of the store run his or her store. Don't always try to control their actions, it causes nothing more then grief and frustration on the manager and that trickles down to the insiders and drives such ultimately leads to workers quitting, leaving the remainder workers to work even harder...for the same amount of pay.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

You used to be able to make a living delivering pizza.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou could, at one time, make a decent living delivering pizza here. Not anymore

ConsWeird, cult like atmosphere
    Restricted to taking a single delivery per run
    Minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves and realize you cannot control everything.

Far from employee focused.

Delivery Driver/AGM (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsMake good tips and the ability to work on your own.

ConsInept middle management. Never ever get off shifts when scheduled. Zero benefits. Being promoted from driver will result in pay decrease.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage GMs to meet with other employees instead of just AGMs to get feedback from the whole team.

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!