Papa John's

Papa John's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter

John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver(in 31 reviews)

• Better than other starter jobs- if the customer complains, throw them a free pizza(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You make less than minimum wage without the chance of moving up(in 27 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4(in 13 reviews)

Provide Vehicles.

Delivery Driver (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsWorking with pizza and good people. Closing is much easier than some other restaurants. Tips can add up, but usually go to gas.

ConsSpent more on vehicle upkeep than was paid in a one month period (including tips). Advertised as making $12-$16/hr but you really get $4.91/hr. Drivers only get a fraction of the $2.40 delivery fee which is suppose to be for gas but I did not find that adequate for my 18 mpg city vehicle.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould otherwise normally provide such incentives, however, I choose to support small businesses instead of Corporations that profit enough to (refer to top). But choose not to.

Worst job EVER! Don't even consider it!

Pizza Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Springboro, OH

ProsDecent tips, although they come at the expense of your car.

ConsLowest pay among pizza chains, bosses who think they know everything there is to know about everything, required to clean store before leaving while being paid below minimum wage, required to answer phones and tend ovens (while still making below minimum wage), and a huge toll on your car. Working full-time for a year, I brought in $1600 a month yet put over 4000 miles on my car each month. Rarely did I make more than I spent on car maintenance and gas. Add to that the fact that sales are steadily declining and there have been multiple company-wide pay cuts disguised as possible raises (swing pay) and drops in the compensation given to drivers per delivery, and this place makes me laugh at the fact I ever gave it a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that you are a manager/district manager of a pizza joint, meaning you obviously are not Einstein. When someone approaches you with a problem/solution, LISTEN! Don't disregard it as if your employees are idiots. The reason you have such a high turnaround is the fact that employees are treated with less respect in this place than criminals in jail.

Good people, better district managers needed.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Maple Grove, MN

ProsFun environment, food discounts, and work experience.

ConsManagement micromanaging, delivery stacking, and a lack of growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend management through more effective leadership training and development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent part-time job for a student

Pizza Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsI was a delivery driver. When deliveries were not being made, drivers were expected to help with all aspects of running the store including cleaning, prepping, and cooking. The environment was pretty relaxed and the employees all got along. The hours were flexible and fit with my class schedule. Discounts on pizza was great and I took home my cash tips after every shift. The pay ended up being pretty good, but I worked in college town so we had a steady demand for pizza.

ConsClosing shifts end pretty late, around 3am. The store gets hectic and the environment becomes very stressful during busy events like the super bowl or other holidays. The school had an event one day that the store had not prepared for so we fell way behind in the store and in deliveries.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the local community and events that might be taking place so that you can be prepared when there is a high demand. The schedule could have been made more efficiently, managers need to understand the skills and abilities of employees and avoid scheduling shifts with only new employees.

Hit and Miss

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

Prossome of the pros of working for Papa Johns are that you get to meet a lot of new people, its a friendly place to work and keeps you moving.

ConsSome of the cons, if you get a Bad store owner then your store suffers greatly, as with any customer service job customers can be difficult, and there isn't much room for promoting up, and it doesn't pay very well

Advice to Senior Managementto management more training is never a bad thing.

Good job, poor career

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedules, interaction with customers and co-workers, great for extra money as a part-time job

ConsVery little upward mobility, great part-time job, bad full-time career choice. Long hours, very basic training, expected to produce big results with little to no backing from management. Too many differences in operation from franchisee to franchisee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training, treat each market as a unique one instead of a cookie cutter approach to marketing. Spend some time/money on HR to ensure qualified candidates are hired and retained.

good place for part time work

Insider & Driver (Current Employee) Haymarket, VA

Prosfun place to work if you like cooking or driving

Consfast paced work dependent on perfection.

Advice to Senior Managementoffice culture

It was fun, sometimes tiring and confusing but worth it.

In-Store Worker (Former Employee) New Rochelle, NY

ProsFast paced working experience, great food and hangout place for friends and families

ConsNo food isn't free (despite the abundance), Constant changing of authority, Pay wasn't amazing, Promotions rarely offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out more about the people you hire, and once you put people in charge (Managers, Assistant managers) try not to switch it up. Its confusing to the people under them.

Grind 'em up and wear 'em out!

Driver, Assistant Manager, Store Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsFirst of all, Papa John's sells a top notch product. I don't have any issues with corporate. I worked in many franchise stores within a region. Started out as a driver, loved it. Asked to be in the management training program. Became an asst. mgr. and did well. After a few years, was given the opportunity to manage a store that was on it's way out before it closed. Not the best opportunity to prove oneself. Went back to asst. mgr until I was required to work dough continuously for 10+ hr shifts. Now driving again until I can find something else to use my management skills without the physical demand and long hours.

ConsWork-life balance stinks. Rate of pay for managers is embarrassing. You don't have a set schedule, it changes every week. There is no lunch break or 15 min breaks during your shift. Not sure how that is legal. The culture among employees is a lack of work ethic; feels like pulling a freight train by yourself. High turnover rate. Constant repetitive motion from working dough has resulted in injury, hopefully not long term. District mgr. is inept. Repeated inquiries for equipment repair and supplies for the office are frequently ignored. Numerous managers and asst. managers have moved on in the last 4 months due to the unprofessional manner in which situations were handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to your managers and make available the tools they need to succeed. If someone is giving their all to the company and there is no real effort being made to support them, they will eventually become frustrated, worn out and leave. This is not a good way to promote long-term success for your franchise.

Easy first job

Insider & Driver (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsCo-workers are awesome. Everyone is about the same age (late teens - mid 20s) and even when busy it was a blast to work there.

ConsVery high turnover rate; some people left after working one shift. My store only scheduled workers from 4 - 10 pm (close) so it was difficult to work a lot of hours. During the day only the manager and one driver would work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours, higher pay, or benefits to employees. Have an actual job performance review every 6 months in order to get rid of bad workers.

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!