Papa John's

Papa John's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter

John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver(in 31 reviews)

• Better than other starter jobs- if the customer complains, throw them a free pizza(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You make less than minimum wage without the chance of moving up(in 27 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4(in 13 reviews)

Fun

Driver (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood team and good money

ConsInconsistent tips. Getting stuck when staff is tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage tipping more and improve POS

I had amazing coworkers so i really enjoyed my time there.

Insider (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPapa Johns offered me an opportunity to learn about the food industry. Had amazing discounts.

ConsSometimes i would work about five or more hours of overt time, which would seem nice but after working and running around for your assigned hours can be overhelming

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is a must, thankfully my coworkers were nice enough to train me

Not bad

In-Store (Current Employee) Oceanside, CA

ProsPizza and food
    And it's fun slapping out the dough and making the pizzas
    Doing the ovens
    Folding boxes
    Being able to listen to music in between

ConsIrritating customers
    Messy and selfish employees
    Prices on certain things are just flat out ridiculous like the wings

Advice to Senior ManagementIdk at this moment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for a first job. The people are usually pretty awesome.

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI worked as an "insider" and "shift manager" for the franchise owned by Houston Pizza Venture. Great first job. The environment is fun, exciting, and fast-paced. The people were the best part of it. Not bad pay, but again, probably best as a first job (unless you make management). Moving up is easy and you're never bored in your position. Lots of opportunities to learn different aspects of the restaurant industry. I just graduated with my degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management. The experience I gained from working there really helped me in my degree. I learned inventory procedures, proper storing methods for produce/frozen/refrigerated goods, purchasing software (obviously not one-on-one with suppliers), and proper sanitation techniques. Keeping the store clean is a huge thing for the company so chores are a must. I would not recommend this job if you don't want to mop the floors, sweep, clean dishes, etc. Everyone pitches in to help (or at least they should). I was able to work here and go to school while I was involved in several extracurricular activities. The store I worked for often got together with other stores within the franchise and hung out outside of work. Created an amazingly fun work atmosphere. Competitions and employee outings were rewards for up-selling items. You get to eat left-over pizza and sometimes can do "trade-offs" with other restaurants. Expect to work on weekends.

ConsBecause it's a franchise, you don't have much say in anything as an employee. Not everyone is as smart as you hope. I had only been working a month and was already going through new general management changes because of employee theft. Lots of drama because of the age of the employees.

Delivery Driver

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood management, not a hard job.

ConsSometimes, there will be bad tips but that comes with the job.

Assistant Manager, shift runner and key holder.

Pizza Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsFree food
    No Drug Test/ Background Screening

ConsLow Pay
    Customer Service can be difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementThe videos and training exams do a poor job of training employees. Consider using more engaging learning strategies.

Entry level management experience.

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood money, good atmosphere, good starting point

ConsSlave labor, horrible customers, do not like the work, stingy owner.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay well and your people will stay.

Decent job for part time or college work.

Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFree food on occasion. Decent money during football/weekends/winter. Gas pay can work in favor when taking multiple orders to a single locations. Can get up to 5 deliveries in an hour on busy days

ConsSlow times means no money. Paying for Gas sucks, and wear on car can pop up anywhere. Summer is a lot slower then winter. Have to continue working in poor weather. Hard to get sudden time off if other drivers aren't willing to cover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmall raise to driver there longer then 6 months, to around 6/hr on road would be great.

Bad bad bad job.

Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf " i was getting paid" is the only pro about working there for me . But I guess another pro is that I got free food and they didn't interview me.

ConsThe managers were unreasonable. The schedule were inconsistent . The male employees were inappropriate towards the female ones and its was just not somewhere I could stay. Plus the conditions of how to food was kept in wasn't the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange managers.

Good for temporary work.

Pizza Delivery Driver (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsMost Papa John's stores are willing to work with you in-terms of hours, so this is an ideal job for a student.
    Working as a delivery driver can bring in good tips depending upon the area served.

ConsSince it is a franchise the quality of management varies widely from store to store.
    Compensation is kept to a minimum, so don't expect any raises within the first year over 50c.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse compensation as a way to motivate employees to perform better.

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!