www.papajohns.com

Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Good job for high school aged person, tips are usually good, very flexible hours (in 33 reviews)

• Free pizza if the manager is not around but besides that nothing (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage with very little chance for a raise- you MIGHT get one and only if you ask (in 33 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4 (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience, very nice people and managers are understanding.

Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co workers, flexible hours, great first job

Cons

Getting flour EVERYWHERE, customers can be a pain but that comes with every job

tell them straight up, don't lie

I loved my Job!

Former Employee - Delivery Driver
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver

I worked at Papa John's full-time

Pros

I would have to say driver pay is crazy good. Maybe it was just my delivery area, idk. Work hard and there is room for growth.

Cons

I didnt really see any cons about working here. I had a great boss.

Pizza delivery driver

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to do anything you wish since its contractor base.

Cons

Not enough pay. If it was hourly wage it would eliminate schedualing problems.

Hourly pay

Fine, even fun, if your purpose is clear

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

On a practical level, there's something nice about carrying cold, hard cash home every evening and getting your non-tip pay automatically deposited every week. This job is well suited to those who need cash quick. It's also nice to feel at least some degree of control over how much you earn by performing your best to get good tips; however, many customers prepay their tips on credit orders.

All the managers and supervisors have been very friendly, courteous, and offhandedly supportive toward me, even though I haven't worked in anything like this kind of job for a couple decades and felt fairly awkward coming in with an advanced degree and a couple more in the works, from a pretty different career path. But I tried to align my attitude from the outset and soon found my coworkers to be a diverse group of people whom I look forward to seeing at each shift. They span a wide range in age, ethnicity, reasons for working there, and types of second jobs (which most have). I've been using it as a chance to learn about different cultures and walks in life. I've found most of my coworkers--especially the slightly older ones--to be responsible, earnest people with good work ethics and pleasant , kindly, helpful, and often fun personalities. Many are working this job part-time on top of another full-time job. A great sense of camaraderie has emerged between many of us. As soon as one learns even some of the ropes, one can start helping others who have just been hired. Management is almost always very hardworking and capable. Contrary to what another reviewer said, I've found them to be near-wizards at scheduling, managing, and working under pressure. That other reviewer must have been talking about a different branch.

The customers are often really dears and can be fun to exchange a few words with. Everyone is always happy to see me, which is great for my attitude and self-esteem! It's a lot of fun to be the bearer of something joyful to people, especially to be the much-awaited food provider for parties and special events. I sometimes have customers who just want to grab their pizza and retreat, but I have never had any customer who was rude, condescending, intolerant, or unpleasant--even when I make mistakes, and there have been plenty.

There's a feeling of adventure and freedom in continually being sent out to different places and not knowing where the next one is going to be till you get your dispatch ticket. Delivery is a great way to learn about more places in my area and to get an insider's view on countless neighborhoods, houses, apartments, and hotels, some of which are quaint, some charming, some impressive, and a few really gorgeous. Finding certain places that defy GPS location can be perceived either as wonderful mental detective challenges, or as stressful experiences; I try to choose the former attitude.

Deliverers also get the chance to learn about in-restaurant duties, from food prep to dishwashing to stocking to cleanup. These duties help keep things interesting between runs. There is little sense of hierarchy, as all the management up to the highest level regularly do the most menial of tasks. Initiative on the part of all is always appreciated, and exercising it keeps the mind active. I also really appreciate that there is never any music played in the store, because if there were, it would most likely be annoying.

Management has been super-accommodating of my scheduling requests, even close to the last minute. This has made it easy for me to arrange another part-time job around it, and it could afford all kinds of options in the future.

Cons

The earnings are not majestic, and I imagine that after doing this for awhile and learning most of what one can, the sense of adventure that one could feel at the beginning could fade and things could start to feel flat-out monotonous and dead-end. After a worker arrives at the store, it can be fifteen minutes or more before a manager/supervisor clocks him or her in, because the upper staff are often engrossed in other tasks. So during that time one can either stand there looking at the wall, or work for free. I also found out to my disappointment that the couple hours I spent on my first day learning how to make pizzas was off the clock! There is no paid time off or other benefits, aside from a health insurance program that I haven't looked into yet.

My branch of PJ's is only given enough work shirts per year to be able to give each employee one, even if they work full-time, so to avoid having to hand-wash the shirt continually, one must wear another shirt underneath to try to keep the work shirt clean, at least from the inside. For the cold season, management issues each employee one thin jacket, so one needs to really bundle up underneath with layers, and most drivers wear a warm personal hat under or over their work baseball cap. A few drivers have PJ's stocking caps, but apparently these aren't available anymore. If you want to use a stand-alone GPS, you'll need to buy a charger splitter, which goes for about $10, to put in your cigarette lighter so you can plug the car topsign in as well: doing so is required at night. However, I think I'm the only driver in our store who doesn't have a GPS on their cell phone! You also need to supply your own khakis and have enough change on hand at the outset to carry for customers who pay cash. If you want your tip cash in the bank, of course you must continually make deposits, which can be onerous. Also, be prepared to see almost nothing automatically deposited to your bank in the way of non-tip pay.

I got fairly basic training and was never offered an opportunity to watch the orientation video the manager told me about on the first day. Many of the things I needed to know related to my job I found out by asking questions as they arose, or being told by coworkers. I was never given any printed information about company policies or procedures, and apparently no such printouts exist. Sometimes I've actually been told contradictory things by different sources. For example, management told me that the company policy was that drivers needed to call the store if they took more than ten minutes to deliver, or if they got lost, but I gradually found out that that's not really the case, at least not after you've been there a little while. It's much more efficient to call the customer directly if you have trouble finding them, because management usually can't help too much with directions, as I've found out the hard way.

Though I usually use a GPS, I experienced some stress at the beginning trying to get to some really hard-to-find places, getting lost and shot off onto some trajectory that was extremely hard to get rerouted from, taking much longer than ten minutes, and of course in the process burning up that much more gas and inflicting that much more wear and tear on my car. A few times, it has taken me almost an hour or more before I finally made it to a customer. This stuff still happens to me periodically, but now I don't stress about it too much. It just happens, and it's a learning process. Management can get tense when things get busy, so I used to worry each time I took too long that maybe my days working there were numbered. But I gradually realized that all management understands that most drivers don't have impeccably detailed area maps built into their minds, and there are certain places in our delivery zone that are just inherently confusing and/or so new they are not in anyone's GPSs. There is an in-store computerized map that drivers can use to view a suggested route each time one is dispatched, but it's too small to always see all the street names, and it shows the whole round trip in such a way that I've never been able to figure out which way is supposed to be "coming" and which way "going." There's also a way to print out a suggested route from the store on receipt paper, which is nice if you don't have a working GPS, but I didn't find out about this feature till about two weeks had passed and the regional manager came by.

A bit demoralizingly, some of the drivers can get lazy and between runs, spend time sitting around in the back room chatting or checking their smartphones rather than finding something to do like folding boxes--the most typical in-store task for drivers. People can also get sloppy and unsanitary--for example, letting the pizza boxes fall to the ground and then stacking them back up to be used, or stacking up food service equipment to be washed on the floor next to the sink--euww! Over the course of time, the store can also get to looking pretty trashy, with napkins, cups, boxes, receipts, food, etc. being dropped or thrown all over the floor, even in the public areas. Employees most often pass this stuff by time after time without making any effort to pick it up till someone finally comes through with a broom. There doesn't seem to be much awareness of the public's in-store perception, though I try to do my part to keep things looking good. I've also noticed that the cook staff can be slow to notice and serve customers coming in, and when business eases off, they can get inattentive to dispatching the orders that are ready. Occasionally, tensions and heated words can erupt between employees--and yes, some people can act immature, unpersonable, and uncouth.

There seem to be few full-time opportunities for drivers, because things get very slow during non-peak hours. It's best to pursue a delivery driver job as a part-time opportunity. I've never stayed beyond 10:00 p.m., so I can't speak to how much business we get late at night. But I gather that it comes nowhere near what we get between about 4:30 and 9:00, because PJ's only keeps about three drivers on after this time. They've told me that they don't keep female drivers on beyond about 9:30 at night, for safety reasons, especially because of strange customers that can be drunk or drugged up later at night. I could feel offended or discriminated against by this presumably unofficial policy, but basically, I appreciate it. I was not that keen about working late into the night anyway!

Take a look at the cons that I mentioned and try to tighten up in any of these areas that you feel you can. And of course, look at the pros and keep expanding on these!

Typical pizza shop

I worked at Papa John's

Pros

-free food
    -friendly coworkers
    -no drug test
    -easy job

Cons

-general managers
    -crap pay
    -same food
    -orders barked

Don't hate your life.

LOVED my job

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upbeat co-workers
    Meeting new customers daily
    Free food & great discounts
    If you work hard, you can advance very quickly

Cons

Nothing while I worked there.

Everything was great when I worked there, HOWEVER, now when I go into the Wilma Rudolph PJs it just looks like no one cares. Employees uniforms are horrible: messy hair, untucked shirts, wrinkled pants-not from working for a few hours, wrinkled because they don't seem to care :(

dont drive

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Olney, MD

I worked at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

free food
    depending on the area you can get great tips

Cons

managers expect you to put work first.. even if your part time

Best start up job , you get paid 6 hr , but make a lot of money of tips .

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job , and make at least $20. A hr and on the weekend even more .

Cons

It a little rough on your car you have to drive about 50 to 40 miles a day

Pay for gas.

ok place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good work environment. The employees are nice and everybody is a team player.

Cons

Upper management constantly texts gm's and assistants on personal phones excessively. Time of night and days off are not taken into consideration when the messages are sent. This is very irritating. The bonus programs get harder to hit goals. There is no real training program. Not much room for advancement. Very stressful for the pay.

Have a training program in effect and do follow-ups. Address situations and get all the facts before making rash decisions.

Fun!

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on Pizza, laid back atmosphere (depending on the store manager), easy job with room to grow! I imagine the challenges of the jobs come more into play as you develop with the company, taking on more responsibility with jobs focusing more on a career...but with higher pay so it's a GO!

Cons

Customers can be a pain at times...really depends on the location of the store & what type of clientele it has.

Papa John's Photos