Papa John's Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
607 reviews filtered by

1. A stressful job, but it paid the bills.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a General Manager (GM), you create the entire schedule, so there is some minor flexibility if you need a particular day off. It's a great entry-level opportunity into store-level management for those without a degree or much experience because you can promote from within. I began as a driver, promoted to shift leader, then to GM all within 7 months (my store did not have an Assistant Manager, so I skipped over that position). It was also nice to yield the highest amount of power in the store; as GM, you are king of your store.

Cons

This is an extreme multi-task environment where you will find yourself pulled in many directions for 55-65 hours every week on top of getting random phone calls on your day off anytime there is a small crisi in-store. You work on salary, so no overtime pay. Poor work-life balance. During the lull between lunch and dinner rushes, the GM may be alone while drivers, who also help in-store while they are there, go out on delivery; so the stress is real anytime a small rush happens during a time when you staffed for a lull. In those instances, the GM assumes every function in the store: make line, oven, front counter, taking phone orders, and then runs to the hand wash station in between. Also, my store had to run on a skeleton crew to keep labor within target, and employees do not like to be sent home early, which is common practice for a pizza store. Finding dependable crewmembers willing to work minimum wage and on nights/weekends is a real challenge. Business fluctuates greatly based on weather, which causes problems if your dinner crew shows up but no orders come in, or if it rains during lunch and you get slammed without enough crew to handle it. This position is best for someone who thrives in an atmosphere of controlled chaos and who does not have a family; I am not one of those people, so I resigned and went back to college.

I suggest implementing outside sales and marketing training for all General Managers so they can better influence their local market.

2. Low pay. Expect you to work a lot/ late hours.

Former Employee - Papa Johns Driver
    Former Employee - Papa Johns Driver

I worked at Papa John's

Pros

Cash at end of night when you go home

Cons

Long hours. Expect you to give a lot of your time

Better benefits. Better management terrible management

3. Horrible Management!

I have been working at Papa John's

Pros

Some money involved, Not much!, nice insiders and customers are recurring customers and know you as soon as they walk in the door.

Cons

Management sucks, over worked, grumpy, doesn't care about employee's. I was hired for a shift runner 6 months ago. Looking else where.

Be grateful for people who work there!, STOP over working the management team! My GM is there 80 hours a week!

5. Great Starting Job

I worked at Papa John's

Pros

Fast-paced work environment, opportunities to gain experience. Great entry-level job.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement, limited benefits.

6. I had a good experience for 16 years, last two were not so good

Former Employee - Pending in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Pending in Louisville, KY

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Core Values by the CEO were excellent. Benefits were OK at best. I enjoyed working with our customers (store managers)

Cons

Unfortunately, middle and low-level management did not follow core values laid out by the CEO and upper-level management

I blew the whistle on a technology issue after being ignored for 6 months and was fired for inappropriate behavior

7. Low stress, but low pay as well

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Papa John's

Pros

Not that much pressure
    Lots of time on your own, making deliveries
    Some potential for growth if you show genuine interest.
    Occasional free food

Cons

No more double deliveries!
    They really dont pay you much per delivery, its like 1.35 here
    After the first serious car repair, you might not be able to afford to continue driving.

8. As a delivery driver, I was treated as a piece of meat.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Mankato, MN

I worked at Papa John's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great GM who worked with me to get days off and help tailor my schedule around my class schedule.

Cons

I often worked 10am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday and many times someone failed to show up for their evening shift, so I would be expected to stay on. Therefore, my shift usually became a 10am-10pm, without any lunch break, so 12 hour shift without food.

Punish those who fail to arrive to their shifts. Reward those who go above and beyond what they should be expected to do.

9. Excellent workplace for entry-level

Former Employee - Crew Member in Yorba Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Yorba Linda, CA

I worked at Papa John's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growth of basic customer service skills and working in a fast-paced environment/under pressure, discount food, decent allowance of breaks

Cons

Extensive weekend hours, say goodbye to your Halloween, New Years, and Superbowl Sunday

Keep on doing what you're doing-- the business is run very professionally while still giving breathing room to be able to have fun and enjoy the job.

10. Good entry level food service job, easy money, fun environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free or cheap food for one, if you like pizza, employees get a 50% discount on everything in the store.
    Fun environment most of the time.
    Coworkers are enjoyable most of the time.
    Flexible schedules.

Cons

Promotions and raises are difficult to come by.
    Handling issues with some coworkers and managers can also be very unprofessional and often upsetting.
    Hours are also difficult to come by in most cases, as less sales means less hours for the employees.

Make getting raises and promotions more reliable, and make it very clear what is necessary in order to obtain a raise. Don't just say "Do good work and you'll get a raise" because that is not true. Plenty of employees do good work, and they do not get anything in return. Even those who come in every time they're called on their off days get treated poorly and do not enjoy working here anymore.

11. Papa John's

Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Papa John's

Pros

Easy fast paced good money

Cons

Never enough staff. Works weekend

Help your employees more