Papa John's Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver (in 33 reviews)

• Free pizza if the manager is not around but besides that nothing (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage with very little chance for a raise- you MIGHT get one and only if you ask (in 33 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4 (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Over the course of my tenure with the company, this thankless abyss of a job ate my soul.

Former Employee - General Manager/Assistant Manager  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Papa John's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very few 'Pros'. Free pizza, I guess.

Cons

The two-faced culture in this particular market on the part of upper management is staggering. Requests for time off were required 45 days in advance. Ten hour shifts are the norm. Hourly managers are expected to work 50 hour weeks at a minimum with your pay actually going DOWN after 40 hours and true time-and-a-half pay not kicking in until after the 50 hours have been worked (see Chinese Overtime). The "Bonus Program" is a mirage, with nearly no one able to achieve any meaningful bonus on a consistent basis (My last bonus check was literally $1.00). The company refuses to spend any money for maintenance and repairs to the building and implements to do the job. Most of the stores I worked in leaked profusely when it rained, forcing the employees to work in absurdly dangerous conditions with 1/2" to 1" of water on the floor. The A/C was often broken in the middle of Summer, with temperatures reaching to the upper 90s inside the building. The heat was the same way, often breaking in Winter. On more than one occasion, I could see my breath inside the store because it was so cold. Additionally, we were always expected to work through dangerous weather. Snow, tornadoes, severe storms, flooding - it didn't matter. The only way a store could close was if the power went out. On one occasion, I went home to get my own generator just so I could power up the computer so I could close the store properly (resulting in a 16 hour shift) without so much as a "Thank You" for my effort or loyalty. On another occasion, I was expected to run a store by myself in a tornado disaster zone (the tornado missed our store in Centerpoint, AL by less than 100 yards) on generator power for two days. I could go on, but by now I hope you get the idea what a rotten company this was to work for. People say "Don't burn your bridges" when you leave a company because you might need the job again later on, but for this place I want to burn the bridge and spit on the ashes. I'd rather be homeless than work for Papa John's again in any capacity.

I would offer some, but they didn't listen before. Why would they listen now?

Do something with your life other than this

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Papa John's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free pizza if the manager is not around but besides that nothing. They take a $1.50 off of every delivery you make.

Cons

After you add up your tips at night, you question 'what the hell am I doing with my life.'

I pray for you. Ask big PAPA to review and really look hard at his company as a whole because it is turning into a Mcdonalds but I doubt he will care because he has so much money, as it is, from all your hard work.

Papa John's is awful

Former Employee - Manager  in  Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Papa John's full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros of working at Papa John's

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, do not care about employees

Treat your employees like actual people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Delivery Driving job

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Columbia, MD

I worked at Papa John's full-time for less than a year

Pros

mindless easy work
    easy to make friends with coworkers
    highly social atmosphere

Cons

introverts will find the highly social atmosphere tedious
    pay is not as good as it should be
    gas compensation is minimal

give drivers more money

Ok for pt work..but probably alot better choices elsewhere in many aspects.

Former Employee - In Store Team Member
    Former Employee - In Store Team Member

I worked at Papa John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Occasional free pizza, most of the people pretty cool and laid back.

Cons

Worked 2 locations...District managers super nit-picky to the point of wanting to tell them off and walk out on them. Some in store managers you just cant please...you cant work fast enough, again malking you want to walk out on them but not wanting to make your other co-workers job harder you stay. Schedules in the second store I worked in not adhered to, dont know why they even had them... And if you didnt stay past then your job was in jepardy since you were so expendable. Any chance of moving up meant you had to practically live there. Overall......not worth working here for minimum wage.

Increase the pay! Or at least lighten up and be thankful.

Great Place!

I have been working at Papa John's part-time

Pros

Fun work environment, free pizza.

Cons

Low pay, hot working conditions.

Its okay

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Tips and milage make things good

Cons

Long hours and inconstant scheduling

Decent job for college students

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver  in  Warner Robins, GA
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I'm a driver which has worked out pretty good with my school schedule. I have classes mon-thurs then I work at Papa John's as a delivery driver thurs-sun evenings. It's a good weekend job because you don't have to wake up early. Nothing better than when the crap is hitting the fan inside the store, to just get your orders together and walk out the front door, haha. Having a job where you get to cruise around all night and listen to your choice of music and meeting different people every time you work is fun and keeps the job from getting too boring/tedious. The opportunity to make decent money for having no degree ($15/hr+) is achievable if you stay focused and do your job efficiently.

Cons

I would NOT work here as an insider. Pay is minimum wage and depending on who your manager/shift runner is, the stress level as an insider can be high (especially on fri nights.. or during the week if you're short-handed). My advice is get an older/reliable honda or toyota and BE A DRIVER!!

Tons of micromanaging in this company. You need a managers password (or thumb) to do almost anything in the store relating to the computer systems. You have to ask to clock in, ask to do special things for customers, etc. Guess this is their way of mitigating mediocrity. Pay insiders, who deserve it, better. They might stay longer than a couple months.

Papa Johns is a very fast upbeat place to work.

Former Employee - Master Certified Order Taker  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Master Certified Order Taker in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Papa John's part-time for more than a year

Pros

i liked the friendly environment that the whole staff created. the managers were a lot of fun, the rest of the team was amazing to! i love that they chose me to train the new employees because i knew what image Papa Johns should be showing their customers. working at Papa Johns helped me get over my depression and see a better side of people

Cons

I didn't get benefits while working at papa johns. and toward the end of my employment they would work the whole team 2 hours and then send us home so they wouldn't have to give us a break, and for me, i was spending more gas than i was making money to buy it.

I loved working at papa johns, but the people from head quarters should check in and see how all of their stores are treating their workers

Fun

Former Employee - Driver  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Driver in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Papa John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team and good money

Cons

Inconsistent tips. Getting stuck when staff is tight.

Encourage tipping more and improve POS

Papa John's Photos

pap johns
Papa John's

+ Add Photo

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!