Papa John's Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Flexible hours, pay is commensurate with work effort as a driver (in 33 reviews)

• Free pizza if the manager is not around but besides that nothing (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage with very little chance for a raise- you MIGHT get one and only if you ask (in 33 reviews)

• wear and tear on vehicle, hourly pay - they only pay you 4 (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

drivefr

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast job for people who like to listen to the music in there car and run around town like a mad man delivering awesome pizza

Cons

The hours can be far and few if it is a slow time for customer call ins. Some managers can be uptight do to horrible treatment as managers

Treat asst managers and reg managers bettter.

My experience here was horrible.

Former Employee - Insider in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Insider in Newark, DE

I worked at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You gain some customer service skills and food experience.

Cons

The restaurant it's self was dirty, the way we cleaned was just disgusting and degrading. No gloves during food preparation, pizza screens fell on the floor all the time(they used them after they'd been on the floor, in washed.) No interview&interview questions; no background check or drug test, management was horrible.
    I felt like it was extremely unprofessional.

Create a better sanitary environment and maybe have a standard to which employees you hire?

Over the course of my tenure with the company, this thankless abyss of a job ate my soul.

Former Employee - General Manager/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very few 'Pros'. Free pizza, I guess.

Cons

The two-faced culture in this particular market on the part of upper management is staggering. Requests for time off were required 45 days in advance. Ten hour shifts are the norm. Hourly managers are expected to work 50 hour weeks at a minimum with your pay actually going DOWN after 40 hours and true time-and-a-half pay not kicking in until after the 50 hours have been worked (see Chinese Overtime). The "Bonus Program" is a mirage, with nearly no one able to achieve any meaningful bonus on a consistent basis (My last bonus check was literally $1.00). The company refuses to spend any money for maintenance and repairs to the building and implements to do the job. Most of the stores I worked in leaked profusely when it rained, forcing the employees to work in absurdly dangerous conditions with 1/2" to 1" of water on the floor. The A/C was often broken in the middle of Summer, with temperatures reaching to the upper 90s inside the building. The heat was the same way, often breaking in Winter. On more than one occasion, I could see my breath inside the store because it was so cold. Additionally, we were always expected to work through dangerous weather. Snow, tornadoes, severe storms, flooding - it didn't matter. The only way a store could close was if the power went out. On one occasion, I went home to get my own generator just so I could power up the computer so I could close the store properly (resulting in a 16 hour shift) without so much as a "Thank You" for my effort or loyalty. On another occasion, I was expected to run a store by myself in a tornado disaster zone (the tornado missed our store in Centerpoint, AL by less than 100 yards) on generator power for two days. I could go on, but by now I hope you get the idea what a rotten company this was to work for. People say "Don't burn your bridges" when you leave a company because you might need the job again later on, but for this place I want to burn the bridge and spit on the ashes. I'd rather be homeless than work for Papa John's again in any capacity.

I would offer some, but they didn't listen before. Why would they listen now?

Papa Johns is a very fast upbeat place to work.

Former Employee - Master Certified Order Taker in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Master Certified Order Taker in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Papa John's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i liked the friendly environment that the whole staff created. the managers were a lot of fun, the rest of the team was amazing to! i love that they chose me to train the new employees because i knew what image Papa Johns should be showing their customers. working at Papa Johns helped me get over my depression and see a better side of people

Cons

I didn't get benefits while working at papa johns. and toward the end of my employment they would work the whole team 2 hours and then send us home so they wouldn't have to give us a break, and for me, i was spending more gas than i was making money to buy it.

I loved working at papa johns, but the people from head quarters should check in and see how all of their stores are treating their workers

Do something with your life other than this

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free pizza if the manager is not around but besides that nothing. They take a $1.50 off of every delivery you make.

Cons

After you add up your tips at night, you question 'what the hell am I doing with my life.'

I pray for you. Ask big PAPA to review and really look hard at his company as a whole because it is turning into a Mcdonalds but I doubt he will care because he has so much money, as it is, from all your hard work.

Papa John's is awful

Former Employee - Manager in Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Papa John's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros of working at Papa John's

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, do not care about employees

Treat your employees like actual people

They let me go and I did a great job.

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in North Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in North Syracuse, NY

I worked at Papa John's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get out of hard work and into ur car where u can relax a little. Money from tips.

Cons

Fired me for taking to long on a few deliveries yet they were praising me weeks before that. There was also a scheduling conflict since I had multiple jobs but they knew that going in. Crazy fired from a pizza job and I'm 30 and college educated.

Ur clueless. Stay there and suffer making peanuts or get a real job.. Hmm

Ok for pt work..but probably alot better choices elsewhere in many aspects.

Former Employee - In Store Team Member
    Former Employee - In Store Team Member

I worked at Papa John's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Occasional free pizza, most of the people pretty cool and laid back.

Cons

Worked 2 locations...District managers super nit-picky to the point of wanting to tell them off and walk out on them. Some in store managers you just cant please...you cant work fast enough, again malking you want to walk out on them but not wanting to make your other co-workers job harder you stay. Schedules in the second store I worked in not adhered to, dont know why they even had them... And if you didnt stay past then your job was in jepardy since you were so expendable. Any chance of moving up meant you had to practically live there. Overall......not worth working here for minimum wage.

Increase the pay! Or at least lighten up and be thankful.

Great Place!

I have been working at Papa John's part-time

Pros

Fun work environment, free pizza.

Cons

Low pay, hot working conditions.

Its okay

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tips and milage make things good

Cons

Long hours and inconstant scheduling

Papa John's Photos