Papa Murphys

Papa Murphys Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Papa Murphys CEO Ken C. Calwell

Ken C. Calwell

Pros
  • Store hours are perfect for high school students, and they have a very flexible schedule(in 10 reviews)

• pretty easy job overall, especially while working through college(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no actual training time is devoted to new employees(in 4 reviews)

• Have to work saturdays if a manager, not a lot of room for advancement if already a manager(in 4 reviews)

Good first job

Crew Member (Current Employee) Janesville, WI

ProsStore hours are perfect for high school students, and they have a very flexible schedule! Training is very personal and hands on!!

ConsManagement is very bias and picks favorites (coming from a "favorite). Will talk behind your back but never address any issues they have with you to you personally. Raises are very rare, been working two years with one 50 cent raise.

It was a good first job.

Crew Member (Being Promoted) (Former Employee) Alexandria, MN

ProsIt was a good starting job.
    The people there are usually accepting.
    It's super easy - anyone can do it.

ConsThe pay was bad and it was nearly impossible to get a raise. I started at $7.35 and ended at $7.48. I worked there for 2 years.
    No tats/piercings.
    It was dull and repetitive and I came home smelling like meat. Every day. And not good smelling meat. Like, meat that's been sitting out for a while. And it gets under your nails through even the gloves. GROSS.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees a little better.

Used to be great, but recent changes in upper management have put profit before people.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTeaches strong work ethic if you are capable. Great ops documentation. Instructions on how to do your job on the walls (though noone else reads them). Some of the best pizza around, and it's either cheap or free for you depending on where you work. Quality fresh ingredients.

ConsThey pay peanuts. Raises used to be more realistic, and good people could make enough to get by. Now, after a huge restructure of upper management, the immediate bottom line is placed before all other considerations, and people are treated as tools to be rewarded as little as possible, regardless of experience, tenure, or results. The little guys (managers, area supervisors, and in store employees, you know, the ones bringing in all the money) will be used and abused while the big wigs will line their pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider investing in your strong people. This may lead to less profit this year, but massive profit in coming years. You teach us to be proactive, but lack that capability yourselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging work, poor general managment

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsLearn valuable skills such as hard work, customer service, and reliability/responsibility.

ConsComing from someone who is familiar with over 4 stores, the management is poor.
    Many breaks are overlooked, working off the clock is encouraged, and your efforts are rarely seen as valuable, but replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive all the breaks. Make sure management is not pressuring employees into working off the clock.

Area Supervisor

ProsShort hours, one rush, low staff

ConsComplex menu, simple pricing,

Papa Murphy's was a fun job in high school

Cashier (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsEasy, mindless, my manager was fun, ate LOTS of free pizza, laid back in the summer, don't have to cook/deliver the pizzas, made friends with other employees, most employees were skilled, my manager was HIGHLY skilled

Consboring most times, stressful during the rush, the owner was a prick (he'd leave nasty notes frequently), minimum wage sucks, you leave smelling like pizza... always, tips for closing were sometimes insufficient, some employees sucked at their jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more supportive of the manager's decisions. Don't leave stupid notes

Bit of a joke

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back environment. You make friends. Relatively flexible schedule. Works well with a school schedule (high school and college)

ConsOwners are usually 40-50 yrs old and supervisors are 16-18. The supervisors train the employees how they want and then the employees end up with egg on their face when the owners show up and are upset that they are doing their job wrong.

There were security cameras in my shop but none of them were used for preventing robberies. They were all aimed at the employee areas and used by the owners to monitor the employees when they were alone in the shop.
    The owners would call and tell someone to start/stop doing something (usually something little - we were well behaved) that they saw on the cameras. It was like we were being watched by BIg Brother

Great high school job/beginning job.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Clinton, UT

ProsFlexible schedule, face to face customer service, advancement opportunities as well as raise opportunities, direct contact with company owners and corporate figures.

ConsWork nights, holidays, and weekends, bad customer situations, repetitive work on week by week basis, no benefits, no awards for merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees incentivized, Offer benefits where available, introduce an award for customer service and/or sales,

Enjoyable, decent place to work while in High School

Crew Member (Former Employee) Avon, IN

ProsDiscounted pizza. Only stressful during high pizza times (Friday, Saturday nights) otherwise relaxed atmosphere. Worked with great people which made the job fun.

ConsLots of cleaning. Started some young people out below 7.25 for first 90 days

I love it.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Mobile, AL

Prospositive work environment, good experience for a first job.

ConsSometimes it gets hard, being that you can't please EVERYONE of your customers.It's worth it !

Worked for Papa Murphys? Contribute to the Community!