Papa Murphys

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014

Papa Murphys CEO Ken C. Calwell
Ken C. Calwell

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, easy to request time off, other employee's are generally fun to be around (in 12 reviews)

• Great for Kids, Great place to make life long connections, Good first job (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no actual training time is devoted to new employees (in 5 reviews)

• Have to work saturdays if a manager, not a lot of room for advancement if already a manager (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good working experience with satisfactory people.

Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to switch shifts and good flexibility, fun coworkers, good flow of work/down time. Always good to have a food handler's license.

Cons

Sometimes managers were not particularly well suited to their jobs or were not particularly in touch with the needs of their associates. Sometimes were understaffed for no explainable reason, which was frustrating and that responsbility fell on management's shoulders.

Better leadership training for higher ups and shift-supervisors, the manager can't just be a parent-type-authority to the employees, they've got to earn respect and be worthy of earning it.

A very fun and friendly environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Mustang, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Mustang, OK

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Papa murphys was my first job when I was 17 years old, my boss was a super nice guy who would buy us food, give good hours, and work around my schedule.

Cons

After a while closing the store became very tedious...I dreaded the end of the night because of this. We took food stamps too and those people were mean and rude.

If you're nice to employees, they'll be much better workers.

Simple but workload wasn't worth amount of pay.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the location, the best parts of it are the regulars who come in and sometimes the employees. Good hour flexibility when you needed if the store is properly staffed.

Cons

What you are expected to do isn't worth the pay, especially for full time employees. There's always a frequent change of workers seeing how most of them are in high school.

Look in person at how your store is managed, don't assume it's being run properly based off on blind faith.

Leaps and Bounds of Opportunity for Corporate Stores

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the night crew/"pizza makers":
    -fun environment
    -flexible schedule
    -makes you a jack of all trades. (Cleaning, customer service, cashiering, food prep, etc.)
    -Easy tasks (Help customers, leave, go home)
    -you're given the opportunity to run an entire store in high school

Prep Crew (full-time):
    -Benefits
    -All the above pros, but scheduled better hours (8-4, ex.)

As a franchise, there weren't any benefits for full time employees, and pay was very low because the owner paid low. I was a shift lead for 3 years and had worked there for 4 years total, I was making 8. 75. Recently, my store got sold to corporate and now shift leads are making 9.00. Corporate stores do a lot for their employees but any time you work for a franchise, the good/bad-ness of the benefits/pay are up to the owner and management, And I've seen first hand how many things franchise stores get away with. Papa Murphy's makes you EARN your pay. Raises are performance based, not given based on how long you stick around. This was my first job and I worked my way up to a manager. If you take the job seriously and work hard, they will definitely reward you.

Cons

-Small crew (depending on if the stores are corporate or franchise owned)
    -Long hours (usually only for full time employees)
    -Standing
    -Food industry (Customers get very rude, some days you do double business just because it unexpectedly rained, etc.)
    - High turn-over
    -Most employees are in high school or college and don't take it seriously. (Especially in wealthier areas where the youth doesn't need to work.)
    -Halloween, Valentine's Day, Super Bowl, New Year's- No request off days. Busiest days of the year, comparable to Black Friday for retail.
    -Breaks are fit in whenever there's time. If you work 4-close and the rush doesn't end until half hour before close, most people choose not to take their break. If you've earned a break and you ask for one, we never say no.

-Management should be closing, especially with new employees.
    -Make sure your prep/closing crew aren't polarized.
    -STAFFING! Everyone's life would be a thousand times easier if you properly staff your stores!
    -Training and Leading by Example are key!

Fun relaxing experience, bad pay.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Northglenn, CO
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Northglenn, CO

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was all around a good company to work for. It maintained a busy, but relaxing environment.

Cons

The pay was horrible and no medical or dental benefits.

Would like to move up more easily.

A great place to work without any experience.

Current Employee - Pizza Maker in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Pizza Maker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management made the environment easy to work.

Cons

There was not enough hours to go around.

Fun job, young staff

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly fast paced atmosphere. Always kept busy and on the go so the day flys by and you never feel bored.

Cons

High turn over rate, most of the staff is young either still in high school or just out of high school. Can be frustrating and frankly annoying to work with a bunch of hormonal teenagers.

Keep a stricter reign on male to female relations especially in a group of young kids.

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome schedule if you're GM. Good pizza. Great customers. Store has good hours and closes at a reasonable time. No late nights for the Assistants.

Cons

The stores are not maintained correctly. Lots of broken equipment. No insurance, horrible pay. No proper training program for Anyone that manages the store at night.

Find someone to DM the stores that has experience elsewhere. Times are changing. You can't do the same thing for the next 10 years that you did the last 10 years. Keep personal feelings out of the workplace. Karma....

Lacked proper training.

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy to request time off, other employee's are generally fun to be around.

Cons

The manager would talk bad about the other employee's behind their back, little to no training time was given to new employees and were expected to preform their jobs flawlessly, the workplace environment did not make me feel empowered to speak up, the pressure to up-sell was incredibly high.

Dedicate more training time to new employees and make sure they feel comfortable talking with their superiors.

exciting

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time

Pros

working with co-workers, meeting new people, advancements

Cons

getting co-workers to listen, hours, no time off

Papa Murphys Photos