Papa Murphys

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015

Papa Murphys CEO Ken C. Calwell
Ken C. Calwell

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, easy to request time off, other employee's are generally fun to be around (in 12 reviews)

• Great for Kids, Great place to make life long connections, Good first job (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no actual training time is devoted to new employees (in 5 reviews)

• Have to work saturdays if a manager, not a lot of room for advancement if already a manager (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent high school or college job

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Workload is pretty easy, 50% off delicious pizza and can customize items from menu how you like it, decent customer service experience, no actual cooking since it is take n bake

Cons

Poor compensation unless you have been there a LONG time, little chance for advancement since each store is so small and generally only has 10-20 employees depending on location

Have pay bumps more frequently even if they are small in order to retain employees

Shared Uniforms Stink

Current Employee - Crew Member in Alexandria, MN
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Alexandria, MN

I have been working at Papa Murphys

Pros

Fairly easy job, great team work

Cons

Uniforms may not leave the store. Even though they get cleaned by management, employee's sweat and B.O. get embedded in the shirts which felt nasty during your shifts.

Improve the current employee uniform options

Enjoyable but needs major structure.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncanville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncanville, TX

I have been working at Papa Murphys

Pros

It's an enjoyable non traditional pizzeria job. The average customer is really friendly and very appreciative of employees effort/work. It's easy to learn, the physical labor involved is just enough to be manageable without being overwhelming. Explaining how the overall concept of take and bake works along with how much more product they get can be fun and fulfilling. Easy to manage and maintain with proper crew.

Cons

No training materials used even though they are available. Owner can be scatter brained, forgets to bring supplies that are important to store functionality. Gives management level duties out but does not compensate for position/title. Brand new store, odd location, struggling business, fly by the seat of your pants training methods. (Employees have yet to be fully informed of store/company policies) It seems like there's always something that's changed since the last change in procedure/training method taught.

Delegate duties to store managers so it's less hectic. Compensate employees fairly for the position filled and extent of duties. Have reasonable expectations for weekly required hours, employees have an important life outside of work as well as what they do on the clock. Have a manual for each position filled so employees are able to reference it to answer routine questions.

Great job for students.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is very flexible with their scheduling. They are willing to work around school schedules, etc. The people who you work with are all very close and the management is wonderful.

Cons

Gosh I really can't think of a con when it comes to this company. I guess one thing that was a little off is the amount of people working in one store. I was sent home early often because we had so many people working at one time.

Good job but only for so long.

I have been working at Papa Murphys

Pros

If you can work well than this is a good job for you, but of you are a slow learner this will not be a good job.

Cons

There's only so far you can go.

Communication is key! Talk with employees ASAP about a concern. Don't wait weeks to let them know and then expect them to fix it pronto!

LOVE!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Spanaway, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Spanaway, WA

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly managers and coworkers, employee discount, friendly atmosphere, great customers,

Cons

Not a lot of hours, some drama between morning and night shift (but this was nipped in the butt by our manager and no longer occurs), miscommunication

It's awful and I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Crestview, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Crestview, FL

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really adore both of my night crew managers. They are really helpful and understanding. The regulars who come in are also very kind. They often leave us "tips" such as cake or pie since we are not allowed to accept actual tips.

Cons

The owners. I can't stand them. They will blame you for things that you really could not help. You don't get proper training. They put me on register after I said that i've never worked a register and wasn't comfortable with it. They only took me off the register after I messed up someones order and made a huge deal out of it. They cut my hours(without explaining why) after we agreed on a certain schedule that would work with my college classes. I've gotten yelled at by one of the owners and it caused a scene in front of costumers during a rush hour and then he went to one of my coworkers and said something inappropriate to them about me as I walked away to fix the issue. It was completely unprofessional if you ask me. For the amount of work you do, the pay is terrible and you aren't allowed to take breaks.

Learn some how to make a schedule and respect your workers.

Lots of work, quick paced, low pay.

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good job for high schoolers to help them be introduced to the work force, experience with ALOHA systems, order taking, and some kitchen and dish experience.

Cons

Low compensation, raises are hard to come by, night shifts are tiring

Communicate better, offer better benefits and pay to keep workers around longer.

Good job for building teamwork skills

Current Employee - Pizza Maker
    Current Employee - Pizza Maker

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The job works well around my college schedule. It's a fun environment. The turnover rate isn't very high compared to other food industries.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Employees start at age 14-16 most of the time. Lots of things change way too fast.

Pretty good working experience with satisfactory people.

Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to switch shifts and good flexibility, fun coworkers, good flow of work/down time. Always good to have a food handler's license.

Cons

Sometimes managers were not particularly well suited to their jobs or were not particularly in touch with the needs of their associates. Sometimes were understaffed for no explainable reason, which was frustrating and that responsbility fell on management's shoulders.

Better leadership training for higher ups and shift-supervisors, the manager can't just be a parent-type-authority to the employees, they've got to earn respect and be worthy of earning it.

Papa Murphys Photos