Papa Murphys

Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

Papa Murphys CEO Ken C. Calwell
Ken C. Calwell

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, easy to request time off, other employee's are generally fun to be around (in 12 reviews)

• Great for Kids, Great place to make life long connections, Good first job (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no actual training time is devoted to new employees (in 5 reviews)

• Have to work saturdays if a manager, not a lot of room for advancement if already a manager (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job for students.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is very flexible with their scheduling. They are willing to work around school schedules, etc. The people who you work with are all very close and the management is wonderful.

Cons

Gosh I really can't think of a con when it comes to this company. I guess one thing that was a little off is the amount of people working in one store. I was sent home early often because we had so many people working at one time.

LOVE!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Spanaway, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Spanaway, WA

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly managers and coworkers, employee discount, friendly atmosphere, great customers,

Cons

Not a lot of hours, some drama between morning and night shift (but this was nipped in the butt by our manager and no longer occurs), miscommunication

Good job for building teamwork skills

Current Employee - Pizza Maker
    Current Employee - Pizza Maker

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The job works well around my college schedule. It's a fun environment. The turnover rate isn't very high compared to other food industries.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Employees start at age 14-16 most of the time. Lots of things change way too fast.

Pretty good working experience with satisfactory people.

Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to switch shifts and good flexibility, fun coworkers, good flow of work/down time. Always good to have a food handler's license.

Cons

Sometimes managers were not particularly well suited to their jobs or were not particularly in touch with the needs of their associates. Sometimes were understaffed for no explainable reason, which was frustrating and that responsbility fell on management's shoulders.

Better leadership training for higher ups and shift-supervisors, the manager can't just be a parent-type-authority to the employees, they've got to earn respect and be worthy of earning it.

It's awful and I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Crestview, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Crestview, FL

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really adore both of my night crew managers. They are really helpful and understanding. The regulars who come in are also very kind. They often leave us "tips" such as cake or pie since we are not allowed to accept actual tips.

Cons

The owners. I can't stand them. They will blame you for things that you really could not help. You don't get proper training. They put me on register after I said that i've never worked a register and wasn't comfortable with it. They only took me off the register after I messed up someones order and made a huge deal out of it. They cut my hours(without explaining why) after we agreed on a certain schedule that would work with my college classes. I've gotten yelled at by one of the owners and it caused a scene in front of costumers during a rush hour and then he went to one of my coworkers and said something inappropriate to them about me as I walked away to fix the issue. It was completely unprofessional if you ask me. For the amount of work you do, the pay is terrible and you aren't allowed to take breaks.

Learn some how to make a schedule and respect your workers.

Lots of work, quick paced, low pay.

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good job for high schoolers to help them be introduced to the work force, experience with ALOHA systems, order taking, and some kitchen and dish experience.

Cons

Low compensation, raises are hard to come by, night shifts are tiring

Communicate better, offer better benefits and pay to keep workers around longer.

A very fun and friendly environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Mustang, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Mustang, OK

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Papa murphys was my first job when I was 17 years old, my boss was a super nice guy who would buy us food, give good hours, and work around my schedule.

Cons

After a while closing the store became very tedious...I dreaded the end of the night because of this. We took food stamps too and those people were mean and rude.

If you're nice to employees, they'll be much better workers.

Horrible.

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They work with your hours and are great about giving you the time off.

Cons

Management is horrible, No respect, You have to fight for your hours. Management undermines you and makes you feel horrible. Rules are constantly changing. To much work for little pay

Simple but workload wasn't worth amount of pay.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the location, the best parts of it are the regulars who come in and sometimes the employees. Good hour flexibility when you needed if the store is properly staffed.

Cons

What you are expected to do isn't worth the pay, especially for full time employees. There's always a frequent change of workers seeing how most of them are in high school.

Look in person at how your store is managed, don't assume it's being run properly based off on blind faith.

Leaps and Bounds of Opportunity for Corporate Stores

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the night crew/"pizza makers":
    -fun environment
    -flexible schedule
    -makes you a jack of all trades. (Cleaning, customer service, cashiering, food prep, etc.)
    -Easy tasks (Help customers, leave, go home)
    -you're given the opportunity to run an entire store in high school

Prep Crew (full-time):
    -Benefits
    -All the above pros, but scheduled better hours (8-4, ex.)

As a franchise, there weren't any benefits for full time employees, and pay was very low because the owner paid low. I was a shift lead for 3 years and had worked there for 4 years total, I was making 8. 75. Recently, my store got sold to corporate and now shift leads are making 9.00. Corporate stores do a lot for their employees but any time you work for a franchise, the good/bad-ness of the benefits/pay are up to the owner and management, And I've seen first hand how many things franchise stores get away with. Papa Murphy's makes you EARN your pay. Raises are performance based, not given based on how long you stick around. This was my first job and I worked my way up to a manager. If you take the job seriously and work hard, they will definitely reward you.

Cons

-Small crew (depending on if the stores are corporate or franchise owned)
    -Long hours (usually only for full time employees)
    -Standing
    -Food industry (Customers get very rude, some days you do double business just because it unexpectedly rained, etc.)
    - High turn-over
    -Most employees are in high school or college and don't take it seriously. (Especially in wealthier areas where the youth doesn't need to work.)
    -Halloween, Valentine's Day, Super Bowl, New Year's- No request off days. Busiest days of the year, comparable to Black Friday for retail.
    -Breaks are fit in whenever there's time. If you work 4-close and the rush doesn't end until half hour before close, most people choose not to take their break. If you've earned a break and you ask for one, we never say no.

-Management should be closing, especially with new employees.
    -Make sure your prep/closing crew aren't polarized.
    -STAFFING! Everyone's life would be a thousand times easier if you properly staff your stores!
    -Training and Leading by Example are key!

Papa Murphys Photos