Papaya Clothing

Typical Low-end Clothing Retailer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Papaya Clothing

Pros

The work isn't complex, and the hours are there if you work hard.

Cons

No upward mobility for male employees

A stronger chain of command and clear lines of authority need to be made known within the stores.

I loved how there was diverse employees from all backgrounds and the organization of the store.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Papaya Clothing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you want diversity, you will definitely be exposed to it at Papaya. Associates become well-rounded in that they are taught how to perform different tasks in different areas in the store. The benefit of working there for a long-time is that you will eventually keep moving up in position title.

Cons

Corporate management is not all that great. If you work for Papaya for a long-time, it might become monotonous because there isn't more to it than what you learn.

The management team should be more supportive and friendly to their managers. They should meet the needs and wants of their employees.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Papaya Clothing

Pros

Very easy going retail job, coworkers are friendly, and no problems with management

Cons

Overstaffed at times and the clientale aren't exactly the most cultured

Scheduling could happen earlier at times

Its Belén Antonio ok experience working héroe

I have been working at Papaya Clothing

Pros

Fast pace, help customers decide on outfits, employee discount, work with your school schedule

Cons

Pay not that great, lots of girls come and go.. Not many serious working employees

This company needs those with management experience...

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hanover, MD

I worked at Papaya Clothing (less than a year)

Pros

The customers make this company to work at bearable. Another pro to working for this company is that the clothes are stylish and there are good sales for the customers.

Cons

Clear purse...this asks us to get robbed especially working in a mall and using a parking garage.

Not able to use clothing other than papaya clothing on weekdays when allowed so I may wear the same shirts every week.

Management asking about the sexuality of my Co workers. This is a huge no no and the manager is obviously not aware of EEO.

Hiring other people when the hours can be divided between those who work well within the store. The hours given are incredibly stingy. One of my Co workers was available for more than 5 hours yet once the manager found out about the sexuality of this particular person,the manager wanted to put the Co worker in another store.

The current Management including regional management should take a look at pepper hiring practices, run background checks, provide proper hours to those willing to work and above all listen to the employees complaints instead of Hiring new employees and the rotating door effect (turnover of employees)will decrease. Management must be trained properly on EEO, HR, and scheduling.

Okay

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Papaya Clothing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees made the job. They also helped when I needed help or had questions. Although most only stayed at most a month or two.

Cons

The non flexible hours. Very minimum availability of growth in the company. Employee discounts was very low.

Sales associates, supervisors, management needs Training really bad. Store policy needs updating as well.

Horrible!

I have been working at Papaya Clothing

Pros

its a job. The manager is nice and helps you.

Cons

Low pay, no raises, discount is low, horrible corporate officials, dresscode, rules change, and you get blamed for everything!

Raises to good workers! Workers should be able to look colorful instead of like they work at macys! Sometimes you have to just nod and not treat people like they are animals! Mistakes happen so instead of making employees dread working help them.

Decent Retail Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Papaya Clothing part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked for Papaya in the summer of 2011 as a sales associate. The supervisors and managers were all very friendly and informative. I also enjoyed working with the majority of the other sales associates. I worked a decent amount of hours as well.

Cons

I worked on the July 4th holiday, expecting to get paid time and a half, but to my surprise, I only got paid my hourly wage. This was such a disappointment, because many retail companies pay their employees time and a half when they work holidays.

Employees should be paid time and a half on holidays and be made aware of opportunities to move up in the company.

Not great, but not terrible.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Papaya Clothing part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management did their best to keep your schedule close to to what you were hired to work (if hired for day shifts, you worked day shifts - unless they needed you for a night shift for holidays). Tasks were easy to complete.

Cons

Worked every holiday because no one was granted the day off. If you had a funeral to attend and couldn't find a shift replacement you were written up or fired for being a "no-show".

Train your people and do a thorough background check on new employees.

It was a good start to my fashion retail career

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Papaya Clothing part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I walked into this store after I was rejected from an open job fair Forever 21 held (You could call Papaya the "poor man's Forever 21.) After I was in disbelief that a retail store couldn't trust my cash management skills as I had no previous experience using a simple POS system (It was my first retail job in college.) I explained my experience to a manager a my local Papaya store and pretty much begged for a chance to work in the store. I guess he liked my gumption to get a job there and I was interviewed and hired within a week and a half. Overall, I met some of the best, down-to-earth, and hard-working girls and established great friendships with my co-workers.

Cons

Contrary to my story about the manager who hired me when I was in such a scurry to find a job to support my college entertainment habits, management was sometimes rude, unfair about scheduling and ultimately created a Los Angeles sweat shop environment. Although cons and cons, I still to this day see my first job as something that prepared me for where I am today. I learned the art of customer service, I practiced money management and reconciliation, I experienced inventory processing & logistics. The so-called cons truly helped me be the leader I am today.

It is not fair to give a raise to one individual and not the other when they started at the same time and put in the same amount of work and effort.