Papaya Clothing

Add Photos

Kenney Choi

Horrible management!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bossier City, LA

ProsThe only pro I can think of is you get a discount on their clothing as an employee. The discount is next to nothing and pretty much only cover the tax cost, but it is better than nothing I guess.

ConsHorrible management. This place is so unorganized. The clock in and clock out system is ridiculous. The employees are not customer friendly. The lunch break is about enough time to walk to your car in the parking garage and walk back. The quality of the clothes are okay but for what you pay it is accurate for them to fall apart after the second wash. The racks are over crowded which causes clothes to fall on the ground, which get stepped on. In this case, you are expected to pay full price for it if it happens to be the last item in your size yet it has foot prints on it. Just over all very disorderly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire friendly employees and get more clothing racks!

Love this place

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsFun environment
    Great people to work with
    Flexible with hours
    Awesome manager
    Discounts are good
    Super cute and trendy clothes!

ConsStart off at minimum wage
    Takes a long time to get a raise, possibly two years

Needs improvement.

Key Holder (Current Employee)

Prosthe job is pretty cool, the 15% discount is nice, the employees are chill, manager does seem to care about the employees on a personal level.

Consthe training sucks and is almost non existant, easy to get in trouble due to the constantly changing rules. pay sucks, impossible to get time off. also the managers clearly choose favorites and if you are not in those favorites you tend to be looked down upon.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain employees well and work with them rather than calling them out on the spot for not doing something you never trained them in

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CASUAL

Proslove the workers but some can come off rude and new employees would want to quit because they don't learn anything or have a feeling that the supervisor doesn't like them

Conssome workers are lazy, workers could be rude. workers who worked there longer thinks they run the store. customer ask me where is the item and I look for it but others be like "Oh sorry, we don't have that item anymore" And guess what? I find the items. it's all about customer service ...

Advice to Senior Managementwatch who is working hard. not because they work there longer. I know people who work there longer are lazy and I've work for like 3 years now and I still work hard ven though the work is a lot.

Good first job but needs improvement

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe job itself is very easy and laid back. They work with your schedule and coworkers are easy going and fun. It;s a typical retail job except with better coworkers. Manager cares about employees and try to work with them as best they can.

ConsThe pay is inadequate, it's difficult to get time off, and the rules are overwhelming and constantly changing. It's easy to get in trouble because the training or lack there of is terrible and you kinda have to figure things out as you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to train employees properly so that they know what they are doing especially when promoting to supervisors. Loosen up a bit, bombarding employees with new rules constantly is a bit overwhelming and makes the work environment nerve wrecking trying not to mess up.

Completely Disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty cool coworkers.
    Easy job.
    15% discount, but you have to get it straight from the assistant managers, and they weren't always there.

ConsWould not tell you if something is wrong, just cut your hours.
    No formal training, have to figure things out yourself.
    Changed rules all the time, you would work one weekend, and come back the next to completely new rules.
    The turnover rate was horrible.
    Managers were rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople would stop quitting if you would train them to do their job properly.

Unorganized, Favoritism, Discrimination, Unprofessional, No benefits, Sorry Pay, Not flexible with Schedule,

Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsMet really awesome co-workers.

ConsI have been at Papaya for 2 years. I am currently a Assistant Supervisor. Store managers are rued and very insensitive to employees. They make you feel unappreciated. My schedule keeps getting cut with few hours even though I can work 6 days out of the week which is a very good availability. I feel there is discrimination against my religion Because I can not work Saturdays. During holy week (Which is the busiest week at the outlet mall and everyone got 5-6 days!!) I received only 3 days! New girls were hired and automatically got 5 to 6 days and im in management and yet got 3 days. My store manager had no idea what to say when I asked why was that. And then started throwing how I can not work Saturdays in my face. Which I know is the real reason my hours are being cut. I have asked him if that was the reason yet of course he denies it but the schedule and the way I am treated says otherwise. Then after he storms off and 10 minutes later asked me to speak in the office where he told me it was because he was not satisfied with my work. Where as I know he just left to make up an excuse to cover up the real reason why my hours are being cut because I know that I am a very good and hard worker who keeps all employees in check and is always happy to help customers and if I was on commission Honestly I would be rich. Many girls have been forced to quit. If the store manager does not like you for personal reasons they will cut your hours and give you less and less days until you quit since they know there is no valid reason to fire anyone. If this continues I will be slamming this place with a lawsuit for discriminating against my religion which as we all know is against the law!! I have given too many chances and been too nice about it.

There are so many OSHA violations as well! We had black mold growing in out back room due to the ceiling having a crack which ran to the wall and every time it rained more mold would grow. It was there for years and years and the store manger knew about the health risks yet NEVER did anything about it. UNTIL I told him he better get that fixed people could get sick from the mold, breathing in the spores and if he did not do anything in the time I had given him I was going to call OSHA directly!! After saying that THEN he did something about it when before he did not care about the health and safety of the the employees and dis regarded it for MANY years and let the problem grow! (Which is another reason He does not like me because I know my rights and always state them and am not afraid to speak up unlike most employees.)

Dress code also was recently changed to black and white all week. (Before it was only Fridays-Sundays) It must be a plain papaya shirt no graphics, sequins etc, etc. It cannot be black AND white has to be either or. If you want to wear a dress it must be absolutely plain! I find it very ridiculous how do they expect you to promote their clothing when you can't wear 95% of what is in the store. The old dress code needs to come back to help boost sales. Customers come in and look at what us employees are wearing. Being in a plain Black or white tee everyday isn't giving the creativity to be able to dress up and be fashionable and trendy which is the stores motto. Customers want to be able to ask employees to help pick out outfits and help style them and they choose who they ask based on how the employees look. This new dress code limits that severely and is only hurting the company.

Anyway There is so much more but it would take up pages and pages.

Word to the wise- Do not work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimple hire store mangers who care for their employees, Become more organized, Stop sending moldy clothing, Just start from scratch!

Depending on your store staff it can be a great experience or horrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly staff members
    30 minute break

ConsPay
    growth
    depending on location..they dont want employees to talk to each other while working
    They will fire you for no reason...they will make up a reason

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more for all the work thats done in the store

Overwhelming

Retail Associate (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWorks for students who are looking for part time jobs.

ConsManagement has extremely high expectations for what they want the crowded store to look like. They use no principles of seniority in making the schedule. It takes most sales associate 6 months to reach their average expectation. Very little opportunity to move up. Will only raise your minimum wage salary 25 cents after one year of working there. Customers complain a lot about store policies, crowdedness, and the fact that shipment is opened on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your store to look extremely clean you have to hire more people. Don't write up the girls for being late when the mall is under construction. Write up your managers for taking 2 hour breaks and leaving 4 hours before close.

Amazing merchandise

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPapaya is one of the best clothes stores ever, our working environment is fun as well as hard working. Also, we love how easy the flexibility of the schedules are, and how it fits to us, rather us fitting to them. We all work as a family and we hear each other

ConsSince I am a current student, I am struggling to getting used to my new daily routine! And trying to balance everything evenly.

Worked for Papaya Clothing? Contribute to the Community!