Paper Magic Group

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher J. Munyan

Hardworking, skilled, dependable applicant.

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsLove the job of working with my customers, vendors and co-workers.

ConsI love the challenge of solving problems when they occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the great experiences I have learn.

The most misrepresented job position I have ever taken!

Art Director (Former Employee)
    Moosic, PA

ProsEveryone at Paper Magic works hard and goes the extra mile to do the best job that they can. They were friendly, funny, and kind. It was clear to me that there was a collection of individuals within the Creative, Production and Marketing departments that had the potential to be strong design leaders (given the chance) and were more than willing to put in whatever efforts might be needed to achieve those goal.

ConsThe Creative Department is being run by 2 Studio Managers that have no background or skills in design solutions. Although they run the department extremely efficiently regarding "shovelling the work from one place to the next", they do so without regard for the validity the basic work itself. They do not encourage their people to think for themselves; rather they make all creative decisions behind closed doors, and use their people as minions to implement their wishes. The result is the same tired, old stuff that's been coming out of that company for years. And the talented assistants are working with their hands tied behind their backs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith a strong background and years as a Creative Director, I was TOLD I was hired to bring in new ideas, help solve some of the basic up-front design problems that were ultimately effecting sales, and research new avenues to take a solid company in a wavering business. Instead I was relegated to being one of the minions who was to follow established procedure, discouraged from making any suggestions. Shut up and don't rock our boat. I was asked to leave after 7 weeks. One week after another Art Director left.
    This company needs to look deeply into the very front end of its process: the Initial Ideas and Trending it researches. It is no longer acceptable in this world to simply grab some old tired image and add glitter and foli to it. The retailers are under a gun to innovate, to compel their point-of-purchase buyer to buy, when they could have as easily sent an e-card. Until management realizes that the Creative Department needs a complete re-structuring, allowing the work to become more timely (and just as affordable), I fear sales will continue to drop off. And the culprit will be the simple fact that Paper Magic is creating the same boring old stuff they've been creating for seasons now.

Wonderful and nurturing. home office was swift in payments

Frelance Makeup, Hair and Wig Artist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Proscreative Halloween staff, 99% of staff was gret to work with. and I had creative freedom.

Conssome staff had fashion designers attitude , or like they are trying to cure cancer.
    as a professional freelance person I would have liked to been offered a full time job. I believe with 7 years of faithful freelancing, i had proven myself.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unethical, unprofessional, overall the worst employer I have ever encountered

Account Specialist (Former Employee)
    Moosic, PA

ProsI truly cannot think of one.

ConsIf you are not "in the family" you are getting no where.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the doors in Moosic.

Poorly run

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFun atmosphere and fun coworkers

ConsPoor management, no company direction

Okay

Intern (Current Employee)
    Scranton, PA

ProsGood atmosphere and good people

ConsAt times a bit hectic and stressed environment

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to give your employees feedback

Most Unprofessional and Unethical Place I have ever worked

Moosic, PA

ProsThere are more dedicated workers here than I have ever seen anywhere else. Many employees have worked 20 hours of overtime a week when needed.

ConsManagement is constantly changing the processes without getting the input of the people who actually do the work. There is no appreciation for the workers. Management promotes people not based on merit but by who they like and the annual reviews/raises are done the same way. There is very low morale and yet only certain people are picked out for having a bad attitude when in fact there is not a day goes by that I do not hear someone around me stating how much they dislike the place. There is also no job stability. Last year the company let go of 8+ people in one day and the company president said it was because they added no value to the company. Are you kidding me?! Who says that?! How is one supposed to have a good attitude with something like that being said?

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Ask the employees their opinions and advice on how to make things better instead of treating us like lab rats. You know there is low morale. Instead of having mass lay offs maybe you should question the workers as to why everyone is so dissatisfied. Stop changing the processes without asking those who it affects. You keep making things worse.

Terrible

Moosic, PA

ProsLearned a lot from co-workers
    Made good friends and contacts
    Salary is alright
    Benefits are decent
    Building offers an ok atmosphere

ConsPoorly Managed
    Place people in jobs because they are good at it instead of allowing growth and challenges
    Seems like they know where they are going to place people
    Promotion's/raises are terrible
    Don't recognize their workers the way they should

Once a good place to work gone horribly wrong.

(Former Employee)
    Moosic, PA

ProsPay is ok for the area.

ConsSenior management for the last couple of years has been a horror show. Much pitting of employee against employee. No teamwork to speak of. Constant stream of lay-offs with political overtones. Workplace atmosphere is abysmal. The only thing worse than being laid-off from this place is having to still work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMessage to folks in Philadelphia: Unless you are deliberately allowing this company to go under, please reconsider current management, although it is too late to recoup all the losses, monetary and otherwise, of brain trust and talent that have left because of awful conditions.

Management lies and makes empty promises

Moosic, PA

Prosthe people in non-management postiions that have the ability to laugh at poor management

ConsLayoffs at anytime, poor decision making by people in charge, bad general working atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a Clue

Worked for Paper Magic Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paper Magic Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paper Magic Group CEO Christopher J. Munyan. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Paper Magic Group employees.