Paper Magic Group

Updated August 19, 2014
2.2

Christopher J. Munyan

PMG

I have been working at Paper Magic Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is OK to work

Cons

there is some BAD stuff

More workers and less chiefs.

The most misrepresented job position I have ever taken!

Former Employee - Art Director in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Paper Magic works hard and goes the extra mile to do the best job that they can. They were friendly, funny, and kind. It was clear to me that there was a collection of individuals within the Creative, Production and Marketing departments that had the potential to be strong design leaders (given the chance) and were more than willing to put in whatever efforts might be needed to achieve those goal.

Cons

The Creative Department is being run by 2 Studio Managers that have no background or skills in design solutions. Although they run the department extremely efficiently regarding "shovelling the work from one place to the next", they do so without regard for the validity the basic work itself. They do not encourage their people to think for themselves; rather they make all creative decisions behind closed doors, and use their people as minions to implement their wishes. The result is the same tired, old stuff that's been coming out of that company for years. And the talented assistants are working with their hands tied behind their backs.

With a strong background and years as a Creative Director, I was TOLD I was hired to bring in new ideas, help solve some of the basic up-front design problems that were ultimately effecting sales, and research new avenues to take a solid company in a wavering business. Instead I was relegated to being one of the minions who was to follow established procedure, discouraged from making any suggestions. Shut up and don't rock our boat. I was asked to leave after 7 weeks. One week after another Art Director left.
    This company needs to look deeply into the very front end of its process: the Initial Ideas and Trending it researches. It is no longer acceptable in this world to simply grab some old tired image and add glitter and foli to it. The retailers are under a gun to innovate, to compel their point-of-purchase buyer to buy, when they could have as easily sent an e-card. Until management realizes that the Creative Department needs a complete re-structuring, allowing the work to become more timely (and just as affordable), I fear sales will continue to drop off. And the culprit will be the simple fact that Paper Magic is creating the same boring old stuff they've been creating for seasons now.

Hardworking, skilled, dependable applicant.

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the job of working with my customers, vendors and co-workers.

Cons

I love the challenge of solving problems when they occur.

Thank you for the great experiences I have learn.

Wonderful and nurturing. home office was swift in payments

Former Employee - Frelance Makeup, Hair and Wig Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Frelance Makeup, Hair and Wig Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Paper Magic Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

creative Halloween staff, 99% of staff was gret to work with. and I had creative freedom.

Cons

some staff had fashion designers attitude , or like they are trying to cure cancer.
    as a professional freelance person I would have liked to been offered a full time job. I believe with 7 years of faithful freelancing, i had proven myself.

Unethical, unprofessional, overall the worst employer I have ever encountered

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I truly cannot think of one.

Cons

If you are not "in the family" you are getting no where.

Close the doors in Moosic.

Poorly run

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Paper Magic Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere and fun coworkers

Cons

Poor management, no company direction

Okay

Current Employee - Intern in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Paper Magic Group

Pros

Good atmosphere and good people

Cons

At times a bit hectic and stressed environment

Take time to give your employees feedback

Most Unprofessional and Unethical Place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA

I have been working at Paper Magic Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are more dedicated workers here than I have ever seen anywhere else. Many employees have worked 20 hours of overtime a week when needed.

Cons

Management is constantly changing the processes without getting the input of the people who actually do the work. There is no appreciation for the workers. Management promotes people not based on merit but by who they like and the annual reviews/raises are done the same way. There is very low morale and yet only certain people are picked out for having a bad attitude when in fact there is not a day goes by that I do not hear someone around me stating how much they dislike the place. There is also no job stability. Last year the company let go of 8+ people in one day and the company president said it was because they added no value to the company. Are you kidding me?! Who says that?! How is one supposed to have a good attitude with something like that being said?

Wake up! Ask the employees their opinions and advice on how to make things better instead of treating us like lab rats. You know there is low morale. Instead of having mass lay offs maybe you should question the workers as to why everyone is so dissatisfied. Stop changing the processes without asking those who it affects. You keep making things worse.

Terrible

I have been working at Paper Magic Group

Pros

Learned a lot from co-workers
    Made good friends and contacts
    Salary is alright
    Benefits are decent
    Building offers an ok atmosphere

Cons

Poorly Managed
    Place people in jobs because they are good at it instead of allowing growth and challenges
    Seems like they know where they are going to place people
    Promotion's/raises are terrible
    Don't recognize their workers the way they should

Once a good place to work gone horribly wrong.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group

Pros

Pay is ok for the area.

Cons

Senior management for the last couple of years has been a horror show. Much pitting of employee against employee. No teamwork to speak of. Constant stream of lay-offs with political overtones. Workplace atmosphere is abysmal. The only thing worse than being laid-off from this place is having to still work there.

Message to folks in Philadelphia: Unless you are deliberately allowing this company to go under, please reconsider current management, although it is too late to recoup all the losses, monetary and otherwise, of brain trust and talent that have left because of awful conditions.