Paper Source Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.2

Sally Pofcher

Pros
  • The company is growing - opening new stores all the time (in 5 reviews)

• Good place if your looking for entry level work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing very fast, although the infrastructure may not be there to handle such swift growth (in 3 reviews)

• It's a great job to have as a hobby, since most positions are only part time (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

fun, creative, and engaging retail store

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Exploring craft products
    -low stress
    -mostly good co-workers
    -positive managers
    -good customers
    -products people actually like/buy/use
    -easy to get time off

Cons

-the schedule:
    1. CSAs are all part time given 3.5-15 hours/week. shifts are only 3.5-4 hours. This works great for a lot of students who only want PT jobs, but it hurts those who are interested in working as a CSA full time. It forces a lot of employees to get 2nd jobs.
    2. The schedule is only sent out a few days in advance. This is really hard to juggle additional jobs and school and maintain a good work/life balance.
    -the pay:
    $10/hour isn't the worst place to start, but most employees have degrees and past retail experience. The expectations from HQ/management of CSA warrant better pay. Also, the CSA turnover is pretty high and I feel that the low-end pay is part of the reason. It's hard to stay somewhere when you're not given raises.

Get the schedule out 2 weeks ahead of time, not just 4 days.
    Don't keep people on staff who only work 3.5 hours/week - give those hours to people who are interested in better part time hours (i.e. 20 hours instead of 10).
    Invest in better computer systems. Windows XP?!?! Let's get with the times. Customers sometimes complain about how long a transition takes to process because we're trying to look up their name in the registry and it takes forever.
    Improve inventory system.

People are nice, but job isn't worth what they pay you

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work at Paper Source are wonderful; the employees in the store not so much of the higher up. Everyone takes care of each other. It can be a crafty environment. You are able to play with tools that you might not have purchased or known about. The greatest part is when you are working on a project, or a wedding invitation, with a customer and they bring it back in to show you the finished product. You can create relationships with the customers, which is really nice.

Cons

Recently, the company has become so focused on numbers and goals that it no longer seems like a creative place. Even the visuals corporate sends you, such as the windows, aren't cute any more and they just seem like get it done quick. The worse thing about working here is the pay for what corporate asks you to do. They want every employee to be able to have knowledge about crafting, teach workshops, be able to gift wrap and be an expert on custom printing, on a minimum wage salary with no commission or incentives.

Take some care in your employees. If you want us to focus on goals as well as the rest of the training you want us to go through, then perhaps a higher salary or pay extra if you are going to teach a workshop and commission on custom print would be nice as well. The store pays you to be a retail store, but asks you to be an expert employee. It does not make for a good employee following.

If you're a flowery woman, you can stay in a store branch for at least a year! As a male worker on the other hand...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Paper Source part-time for less than a year

Pros

The words I always used to describe Paper Source's atmosphere was warm & fuzzy. The customers got a kick out of it. For the most part, it's true as a customer. As a worker, you have to dig deep to find it within you to punch up the creative & customer service skills needed for a job like this. If you can, you'll be satisfied. From my experience, having a sense of comradery with my co-workers from the San Francisco store I first worked at made me feel comfortable working a retail job! But then came other aspects....

Cons

I won't beat around the bush: I'm a male, black male at that. Not that I want to make a deal out of it, but facing the facts I didn't fit the overall quota of working there. From what I've experienced, white women are the norm of these stores. Sure, being that 'different guy' is all fine & dandy... until it started affecting my position. Most customers would naturally shrug me off & the management would not be too keen on my simple requests to make my workday better (i.e. asking for more than one shift a week & sometimes getting zero because I need Fridays & Saturdays free for my personal work). With increasing pressure from the higher- ups to change the culture into a more corporate one, I feel that a LOT of the 'Do Something Creative Everyday' motto is losing its luster. When I transferred over to a NY store, I barely demoed or helped more then two people a shift simply because they seemed disinterested in the high priced products. But hey, tourists loved them!

There's not much for me to say that hasn't already been typed from others. One suggestion, though: loosen up the tight grip on store managers & allow them & the sales associates to be daring. Your company's stores can only remain so homogenized in the culture your motto seems to embrace. Outside of that, good luck in the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if you are looking for retail experience at a small and growing company.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Paper Source full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to find entry level work and get started in a small retail company. Over 80 stores nation wide. Many shifts to choose from. Good training at most stores.

Cons

Does not offer full time work (only to management). Company is growing very fast, although the infrastructure may not be there to handle such swift growth. Many things slip through the cracks and older stores seem to bear the brunt of that.

Better communication from main office to stores and quicker responses to problems. Seems to be a slight disconnect. It would be great if all members of senior management (CEO, COO and Regional Managers) are all on the same page. Some answers differ quite greatly from person to person.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Paper Source full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have the ability to run the store based upon your own cliental.

Cons

Corporate needs to catch up with the field. The ratio of home office employees to stores is minimum, causing operational issues.

Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Paper Source full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work at the store in Mosaic and just had to put my 2 weeks in and cannot even tell you how sad I am. This was easily one of the best jobs I ever had. Store manager was a great teacher and made me feel totally comfortable. Although there is a lot to learn I never felt pressure or that I should know something when I didn't. The money is pretty good. The team here is great and you get to craft and get paid for it. How awesome is that?

Cons

Working long hours on your feet. I had never worked retail so it took awhile for me to get used to, but other than that I don't have any others!

Fun store can be difficult to work for...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Paper Source full-time for more than a year

Pros

Help customers with really fun projects. Great product lines that you can get excited about. Matching retirement fund!

Cons

Scheduling makes it difficult to maintain a work-life balance. Full timers don't get 2 days off in a row, which is simply exhausting. So many goals and challenges from the corporate level, it's very difficult to meet them all - and demeaning and discouraging when you don't. Very little attention from regional leaders and no help when you need it. The message from corporate is almost always negative in tone.

Some positive reinforcement would go a long way in keeping employees happy and energized. Allow more store level control over the schedule, with allowances for employees that have preferences for particular types of patterns.

Depends on your store

Current Employee - Creative Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Creative Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are great, I love my manager and everyone's easy to get along with and work with. We all have our hobbies and interests that we share with one another and at the store. Easy to negotiate hours, ask for time off when you need it, and reasonable pay for a retail job. A fun store with lots of cute and unique things. Great cards, notebooks, etc.

Cons

The environment could be better, corporate expects more from people who are working retail jobs and don't get paid enough for what they want. Most customers are tourists and therefore it's difficult to maintain a high ADT when they just want small cheap things to go. They don't understand that this is a small store unlike Michaels or Joanns where you can get a personal experience but that takes more than minimum wage to maintain.

Treat your employees better, pay them more if you want to expect more, and give them benefits. You're asking for too much but giving little. You'll get better results if you're generous to your employees.

Not terrible....

I worked at Paper Source part-time

Pros

Co-workers are by far the best reason to work there. I've never been around such an educated workforce. Pity our BAs only got us 10/hr jobs at a glorified hallmark. But I've made several friends from my time there. Good company all around

Cons

Work sucks. No benefits. Domineering managers who don't take advantage of what their staff can do. Customers are so-so.

Locate the talents of your staff and encourage them.

boring

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Glendale, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Glendale, WI

I have been working at Paper Source part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paper Source works around my school schedule.

Cons

it's not a busy store, so there is too much down time of standing around. I'm available to work 36 hours a week, yet I only get scheduled 10 hours a week, and we are continually hiring more CSA's. Manager's are overbearing and passive. They won't tell you you are doing something wrong, but they will jump on you, if you haven't stuck your nose up each customer's butt. The main value of the company is reaching ADT, not the good of the customer.

Work on scheduling, communication. it's difficult to plan out life, school etc around work when a work schedule is only released 4-7 days before that work week.

Worked for Paper Source? Contribute to the Community!