Paper Source

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.4

Sally Pofcher

Pros
  • The company is growing - opening new stores all the time (in 5 reviews)

• Good place if your looking for entry level work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing very fast, although the infrastructure may not be there to handle such swift growth (in 3 reviews)

• Now, there is little or no training and compensation is their already barely-above-minimum-wage rate (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (less than an year)

Pros

supported manager.great team to work with. lots of products to get those creative juices flowing!

Cons

I have no cons at this point. a lot to learn and I'm on my way!

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Excellent to hear about your experience. . Welcome to Paper Source!

Fun at first- then just like any other retailer

I worked at Paper Source

Pros

Creative- great team to work with

Cons

Too many tasks at one time
    Not enough support
    Creativeness went out the window
    Less about being creative more about sales
    Should listen to employees more

Trust your employees

2 Years and Still Loving it

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are so many good things about this company. The company allows you to be creative while you work. When customers return, they often recognize those who've helped them in the past. I've gone to help fill shifts at another store and it was so easy to fit into the team and continue helping customers. The corporate side likes to keep things interesting for us in the store and they are always open to hear our feedback as a specific location.

Cons

In the 2 years I've worked here, I can't think of anything I'd say is negative about the company.

Keep up the great work!

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thanks so much for the feedback and we are thrilled to hear you are enjoying your role and the company. It is a great culture.

People are nice, but job isn't worth what they pay you

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work at Paper Source are wonderful; the employees in the store not so much of the higher up. Everyone takes care of each other. It can be a crafty environment. You are able to play with tools that you might not have purchased or known about. The greatest part is when you are working on a project, or a wedding invitation, with a customer and they bring it back in to show you the finished product. You can create relationships with the customers, which is really nice.

Cons

Recently, the company has become so focused on numbers and goals that it no longer seems like a creative place. Even the visuals corporate sends you, such as the windows, aren't cute any more and they just seem like get it done quick. The worse thing about working here is the pay for what corporate asks you to do. They want every employee to be able to have knowledge about crafting, teach workshops, be able to gift wrap and be an expert on custom printing, on a minimum wage salary with no commission or incentives.

Take some care in your employees. If you want us to focus on goals as well as the rest of the training you want us to go through, then perhaps a higher salary or pay extra if you are going to teach a workshop and commission on custom print would be nice as well. The store pays you to be a retail store, but asks you to be an expert employee. It does not make for a good employee following.

If you're a flowery woman, you can stay in a store branch for at least a year! As a male worker on the other hand...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Paper Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The words I always used to describe Paper Source's atmosphere was warm & fuzzy. The customers got a kick out of it. For the most part, it's true as a customer. As a worker, you have to dig deep to find it within you to punch up the creative & customer service skills needed for a job like this. If you can, you'll be satisfied. From my experience, having a sense of comradery with my co-workers from the San Francisco store I first worked at made me feel comfortable working a retail job! But then came other aspects....

Cons

I won't beat around the bush: I'm a male, black male at that. Not that I want to make a deal out of it, but facing the facts I didn't fit the overall quota of working there. From what I've experienced, white women are the norm of these stores. Sure, being that 'different guy' is all fine & dandy... until it started affecting my position. Most customers would naturally shrug me off & the management would not be too keen on my simple requests to make my workday better (i.e. asking for more than one shift a week & sometimes getting zero because I need Fridays & Saturdays free for my personal work). With increasing pressure from the higher- ups to change the culture into a more corporate one, I feel that a LOT of the 'Do Something Creative Everyday' motto is losing its luster. When I transferred over to a NY store, I barely demoed or helped more then two people a shift simply because they seemed disinterested in the high priced products. But hey, tourists loved them!

There's not much for me to say that hasn't already been typed from others. One suggestion, though: loosen up the tight grip on store managers & allow them & the sales associates to be daring. Your company's stores can only remain so homogenized in the culture your motto seems to embrace. Outside of that, good luck in the future.

fun, creative, and engaging retail store

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Exploring craft products
    -low stress
    -mostly good co-workers
    -positive managers
    -good customers
    -products people actually like/buy/use
    -easy to get time off

Cons

-the schedule:
    1. CSAs are all part time given 3.5-15 hours/week. shifts are only 3.5-4 hours. This works great for a lot of students who only want PT jobs, but it hurts those who are interested in working as a CSA full time. It forces a lot of employees to get 2nd jobs.
    2. The schedule is only sent out a few days in advance. This is really hard to juggle additional jobs and school and maintain a good work/life balance.
    -the pay:
    $10/hour isn't the worst place to start, but most employees have degrees and past retail experience. The expectations from HQ/management of CSA warrant better pay. Also, the CSA turnover is pretty high and I feel that the low-end pay is part of the reason. It's hard to stay somewhere when you're not given raises.

Get the schedule out 2 weeks ahead of time, not just 4 days.
    Don't keep people on staff who only work 3.5 hours/week - give those hours to people who are interested in better part time hours (i.e. 20 hours instead of 10).
    Invest in better computer systems. Windows XP?!?! Let's get with the times. Customers sometimes complain about how long a transition takes to process because we're trying to look up their name in the registry and it takes forever.
    Improve inventory system.

Fun store can be difficult to work for...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Paper Source full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Help customers with really fun projects. Great product lines that you can get excited about. Matching retirement fund!

Cons

Scheduling makes it difficult to maintain a work-life balance. Full timers don't get 2 days off in a row, which is simply exhausting. So many goals and challenges from the corporate level, it's very difficult to meet them all - and demeaning and discouraging when you don't. Very little attention from regional leaders and no help when you need it. The message from corporate is almost always negative in tone.

Some positive reinforcement would go a long way in keeping employees happy and energized. Allow more store level control over the schedule, with allowances for employees that have preferences for particular types of patterns.

Good if you are looking for retail experience at a small and growing company.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to find entry level work and get started in a small retail company. Over 80 stores nation wide. Many shifts to choose from. Good training at most stores.

Cons

Does not offer full time work (only to management). Company is growing very fast, although the infrastructure may not be there to handle such swift growth. Many things slip through the cracks and older stores seem to bear the brunt of that.

Better communication from main office to stores and quicker responses to problems. Seems to be a slight disconnect. It would be great if all members of senior management (CEO, COO and Regional Managers) are all on the same page. Some answers differ quite greatly from person to person.

Depends on your store

Current Employee - Creative Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Creative Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Paper Source part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are great, I love my manager and everyone's easy to get along with and work with. We all have our hobbies and interests that we share with one another and at the store. Easy to negotiate hours, ask for time off when you need it, and reasonable pay for a retail job. A fun store with lots of cute and unique things. Great cards, notebooks, etc.

Cons

The environment could be better, corporate expects more from people who are working retail jobs and don't get paid enough for what they want. Most customers are tourists and therefore it's difficult to maintain a high ADT when they just want small cheap things to go. They don't understand that this is a small store unlike Michaels or Joanns where you can get a personal experience but that takes more than minimum wage to maintain.

Treat your employees better, pay them more if you want to expect more, and give them benefits. You're asking for too much but giving little. You'll get better results if you're generous to your employees.

Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Paper Source full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work at the store in Mosaic and just had to put my 2 weeks in and cannot even tell you how sad I am. This was easily one of the best jobs I ever had. Store manager was a great teacher and made me feel totally comfortable. Although there is a lot to learn I never felt pressure or that I should know something when I didn't. The money is pretty good. The team here is great and you get to craft and get paid for it. How awesome is that?

Cons

Working long hours on your feet. I had never worked retail so it took awhile for me to get used to, but other than that I don't have any others!

Sep 16, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for the great response. We love hearing from our associates that they love their job, the brand and our customers.