Paper Source

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sally Pofcher

Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou have the ability to run the store based upon your own cliental.

ConsCorporate needs to catch up with the field. The ratio of home office employees to stores is minimum, causing operational issues.

Shift Supervisor

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsI work at the store in Mosaic and just had to put my 2 weeks in and cannot even tell you how sad I am. This was easily one of the best jobs I ever had. Store manager was a great teacher and made me feel totally comfortable. Although there is a lot to learn I never felt pressure or that I should know something when I didn't. The money is pretty good. The team here is great and you get to craft and get paid for it. How awesome is that?

ConsWorking long hours on your feet. I had never worked retail so it took awhile for me to get used to, but other than that I don't have any others!

Good if you are looking for retail experience at a small and growing company.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to find entry level work and get started in a small retail company. Over 80 stores nation wide. Many shifts to choose from. Good training at most stores.

ConsDoes not offer full time work (only to management). Company is growing very fast, although the infrastructure may not be there to handle such swift growth. Many things slip through the cracks and older stores seem to bear the brunt of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication from main office to stores and quicker responses to problems. Seems to be a slight disconnect. It would be great if all members of senior management (CEO, COO and Regional Managers) are all on the same page. Some answers differ quite greatly from person to person.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun store can be difficult to work for...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHelp customers with really fun projects. Great product lines that you can get excited about. Matching retirement fund!

ConsScheduling makes it difficult to maintain a work-life balance. Full timers don't get 2 days off in a row, which is simply exhausting. So many goals and challenges from the corporate level, it's very difficult to meet them all - and demeaning and discouraging when you don't. Very little attention from regional leaders and no help when you need it. The message from corporate is almost always negative in tone.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome positive reinforcement would go a long way in keeping employees happy and energized. Allow more store level control over the schedule, with allowances for employees that have preferences for particular types of patterns.

Depends on your store

Creative Associate (Current Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsThe people I work with are great, I love my manager and everyone's easy to get along with and work with. We all have our hobbies and interests that we share with one another and at the store. Easy to negotiate hours, ask for time off when you need it, and reasonable pay for a retail job. A fun store with lots of cute and unique things. Great cards, notebooks, etc.

ConsThe environment could be better, corporate expects more from people who are working retail jobs and don't get paid enough for what they want. Most customers are tourists and therefore it's difficult to maintain a high ADT when they just want small cheap things to go. They don't understand that this is a small store unlike Michaels or Joanns where you can get a personal experience but that takes more than minimum wage to maintain.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, pay them more if you want to expect more, and give them benefits. You're asking for too much but giving little. You'll get better results if you're generous to your employees.

Not terrible....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are by far the best reason to work there. I've never been around such an educated workforce. Pity our BAs only got us 10/hr jobs at a glorified hallmark. But I've made several friends from my time there. Good company all around

ConsWork sucks. No benefits. Domineering managers who don't take advantage of what their staff can do. Customers are so-so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocate the talents of your staff and encourage them.

boring

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Glendale, WI

ProsPaper Source works around my school schedule.

Consit's not a busy store, so there is too much down time of standing around. I'm available to work 36 hours a week, yet I only get scheduled 10 hours a week, and we are continually hiring more CSA's. Manager's are overbearing and passive. They won't tell you you are doing something wrong, but they will jump on you, if you haven't stuck your nose up each customer's butt. The main value of the company is reaching ADT, not the good of the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on scheduling, communication. it's difficult to plan out life, school etc around work when a work schedule is only released 4-7 days before that work week.

Low stress and enjoyable

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsLow stress, relaxed, friendly co-workers, opportunity to improve art skills. There is a discount of 30%, which is nice because it can be a bit expensive. And absolutely gorgeous paper.

ConsMy biggest complaint is that because of the sheer volume of sales associates, it's not likely to be scheduled for more than 1 or 2 shifts a week as a sales associate. This would be fine if the shifts were more than four hours. Additionally, it can definitely get a bit boring, but that's retail for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring less sales associates to be able to put low level employees on for more than 4-8 hours a week.

A Retail Experience Unlike Any Other

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people that we hire are the best. We are passionate about the Paper Source brand, and all of the pretty little things we sell!

ConsThe pay could be better, and the training could be less flowery-- less geared towards "creative types". We are smart, and we bring something to the team- ask us how Paper Source can be better- we'll tell you!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication open- and incent your teams to share information. Ask for feedback, and critique. It's better to know what people are thinking than to be blindsided in a forum like Glassdoor.

If you love them, Pray for them

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsGetting to work with creative employees and customers
    Learning new art skills
    Locations I worked in had great potential

ConsCSAs are not compensated appropriately. (I was but not without a fight & it turned out that my rate was not kept private which led to issues amongst my peers)
    Mngrs take advantage of young artists who don't know what they are worth and/or for what they should be paid
    i.e. Neglecting to let CSAs know they are entitled to drive time, requiring attendance at workshops under the guise that a workshop being free it is a benefit rather than training, & asking CSAs who are teaching to learn and prep class material off the clock.
    Safety practices are suspect mainly due to that fact that mngrs are under-qualified & inexperienced.
    Store management gets little support and the same goes for regional as the company is growing faster than it can hire and retain qualified people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your potential & maybe more importantly current employees that Paper Source is changing and going the way of all other retail--As few people as possible to get the job done just well enough.

PLEASE upgrade your computer system!
    & PLEASE adopt an actual inventory system or just embrace the fact that the inventory will always be wrong. How cost effective can it be to have associates roaming the floors and back rooms every week looking for potential items so that they can then email Inventory Control?

Worked for Paper Source? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paper Source reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paper Source CEO Sally Pofcher. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Paper Source employees.