Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.4

Christopher and Harris Pappas

Pros
  • Great food and great service is what the variety of customers have come to expect when dining at the restaurant (in 7 reviews)

• Good money, awesome managers, awesome coworkers, easy pre/post shift duties (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, unpredictable schedule, any upward movement usually requires someone else quitting (in 11 reviews)

• no room for advancement for colored people (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Server trainer

Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly good clientele, great money at times

Cons

When you get bad clientele it seems that's all there is (mainly after 9pm)

Pay middle management better. Don't try and lie to employees we see right through it.

Lots of ups and downs

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with, pretty flexible schedule, excellent training

Cons

rough hours, guests can be very challenging

Management is very supportive, but corporate policy chokes the manager's ability to keep staff satisfied.

Former Employee - Server and Bartender in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server and Bartender in Houston, TX

I worked at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management and staff are supportive and very interested in team work. Management is very knowledgeable and encourages staff to be as well.

Cons

Because of the limitations put on them by corporate, the management has to bend over backwards to ensure the customer gets what they want, regardless of whether or not their claim is legitimate. There is no customer accountability. I have seen people deliberately and obviously exploit this and the management has to give in because of corporate policy. There is a legitimate fear that people will complain to corporate and there will be a corporate response that is blown way out of proportion. There is also a mandatory tip pool based on how much you sell regardless of how much you make so it is entirely possible that you can leave owing the restaurant money. This tip pool is used to pay bussers and service bar, but the bussers are limited in their abilities.

Servers would greatly benefit from having back servers (people who refill drinks, pick up empty plates, bring bread to the table, etc.) who are paid hourly while those who are being paid in tips can concentrate on actually serving the customers. This way, the tip pool paid feels like it's actually going to pay for something the server can appreciate, and the servers can take more tables.

Great first waiting experience.

Former Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn perfect customer experience. Working with other servers can be a good and bad experience. It all depends on the people that surround you.

Cons

Can be rough and stressful.

Great service industry opportunity and room for advancement

Current Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pappadeaux brings in a lot of guess
    Advancement opportunity to work in the bar or become a supervisor
    High price per person

Cons

There is no automatic gratuity for big parties over 8 anymore.

Servers need to have reevaluation

Good company to work for, enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Headwaiter/Bartender/Banquet in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Headwaiter/Bartender/Banquet in Houston, TX

I worked at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Usually pretty easy to get shifts covered, promotions within the company if you show good qualities. Made pretty good money, especially during holidays.

Cons

Long hours, late nights. Management sometimes gets a "power trip" and can be difficult to work with. Overstaffing on slow days, understaffing on busy days.

Excellent. I learned much when working with this company.

Former Employee - Waiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Waiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training program for new waiters. Above average price point menu, effective and motivated waitstaff can earn respectable wages. Most locations are popular with good crowds.

Cons

Managers promoted from within are often cherry-picked from the wait-staff. Very often those managers are poorly trained, and lack confidence in problem solving often leading to less than ideal outcomes for all parties involved.

Implement a training program for new managers that is as rigid and robust as the one in place for wait-staff.

Volume,... sums it up perfectly for me.

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Volume...I just love volume...sorry to say the same thing over.

Cons

I have not found a "con" so far...my pay is a little low for my position I believe.

I dont have any at the moment.. From my understanding.. Im working at the number one pappa's store nationwide.. This store is right up my alley.

Exciting position that requires tact and patience

Current Employee - Hourly Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hourly Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time

Pros

The Pappadeaux environment is one that is ever changing. Great food and great service is what the variety of customers have come to expect when dining at the restaurant. The offer great flexibility for hours if you are in school and if you choose to move into management there are great education grants available.

Cons

Some of the challenges that you will experience is at times really late nights and working pretty much all the holidays. Additionally while is can be tons of fun it is a high stress environment.

It is beneficial to be consistent with all members of management to not just appear to uphold the values that the company was built on but to have them truly live the values.

Operationally excellent, small shop mentality

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Standards driven, commitment to quality, outstanding training program. It is a restaurant so all opportunities come with the industry standard crazy schedule. Very deliberate in doling out responsibility based on tenure.

Cons

Always 10-15 years behind trends in technology and efficiency. Constant innovation is part of the mission statement but innovation is discouraged if not forbidden at the store level. Too many managers required for each store, creates too much diffusion of responsibility and bonuses are impossible to obtain due to arbitrary criteria.

Cut down the size of management teams, increase salaries of management. Create mandatory rotating weekends off, management quality of life varies depending on GM's arbitrary discretion when making schedules.