Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher and Harris Pappas

Pros
  • Good money, awesome managers, awesome coworkers, easy pre/post shift duties(in 5 reviews)

• Great food and great service is what the variety of customers have come to expect when dining at the restaurant(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, unpredictable schedule, any upward movement usually requires someone else quitting(in 9 reviews)

• no room for advancement for colored people(in 3 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company to work for, enjoyed my time there.

Headwaiter/Bartender/Banquet (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsUsually pretty easy to get shifts covered, promotions within the company if you show good qualities. Made pretty good money, especially during holidays.

ConsLong hours, late nights. Management sometimes gets a "power trip" and can be difficult to work with. Overstaffing on slow days, understaffing on busy days.

Excellent. I learned much when working with this company.

Waiter (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent training program for new waiters. Above average price point menu, effective and motivated waitstaff can earn respectable wages. Most locations are popular with good crowds.

ConsManagers promoted from within are often cherry-picked from the wait-staff. Very often those managers are poorly trained, and lack confidence in problem solving often leading to less than ideal outcomes for all parties involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a training program for new managers that is as rigid and robust as the one in place for wait-staff.

Volume,... sums it up perfectly for me.

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) South Houston, TX

ProsVolume...I just love volume...sorry to say the same thing over.

ConsI have not found a "con" so far...my pay is a little low for my position I believe.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont have any at the moment.. From my understanding.. Im working at the number one pappa's store nationwide.. This store is right up my alley.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting position that requires tact and patience

Hourly Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe Pappadeaux environment is one that is ever changing. Great food and great service is what the variety of customers have come to expect when dining at the restaurant. The offer great flexibility for hours if you are in school and if you choose to move into management there are great education grants available.

ConsSome of the challenges that you will experience is at times really late nights and working pretty much all the holidays. Additionally while is can be tons of fun it is a high stress environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is beneficial to be consistent with all members of management to not just appear to uphold the values that the company was built on but to have them truly live the values.

Operationally excellent, small shop mentality

Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStandards driven, commitment to quality, outstanding training program. It is a restaurant so all opportunities come with the industry standard crazy schedule. Very deliberate in doling out responsibility based on tenure.

ConsAlways 10-15 years behind trends in technology and efficiency. Constant innovation is part of the mission statement but innovation is discouraged if not forbidden at the store level. Too many managers required for each store, creates too much diffusion of responsibility and bonuses are impossible to obtain due to arbitrary criteria.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down the size of management teams, increase salaries of management. Create mandatory rotating weekends off, management quality of life varies depending on GM's arbitrary discretion when making schedules.

Its definitely had its ups and downs but you feel the need to find something out of the restaurant industry after awhile

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsYou can make money and you meet people that can ultimately offer you a better job.

ConsDont really care about their employees enough

long hours. but goes quick because you will have fun the whole time.

Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosschedule requests are honored for the most part.

Conslong shifts, not as much family time as i would like, and get political at times.

Overall nice experience

Server (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood money, awesome managers, awesome coworkers, easy pre/post shift duties

Cons"Pop the question," The training is VERY extensive. Being a server before, I do not enjoy having to spend three weeks training on things similar to other places I've worked at. Pappas should look into this for future employees because I believe it makes the customers experience less personable with the customers and more robot-like.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease realize how draining the training is, give less required time for experienced servers

I hated my job Becuase of management.

Host (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood salary
    People I worked alongside were great

ConsManagement is low quality
    Many managers training all at once
    Will NOT feed employees
    everchanging rules
    Managers could not communicate, resulting in conflicting instructions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to deal with your employees, not just guests. If I dread coming to work all day becuase of management, what does that say about the company as a whole?

Great place to learn industry best practices

FOH Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOwners really care about product, and guest experience. Management is well supported, and provided ample training.

Good food perks. Opportunity to travel when opening other stores.

Pappas Brothers know what they are doing.

ConsWork hours are long, and OT is rarely paid.

Restaurant staffs are by nature immature and younger - this can create a less than professional work environment.

Worked for Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!