Papyrus Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
2.6

Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell (in 6 reviews)

• Custom Printing services allow for creativity as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Part-timers not given real monetary incentive or upper-management example to strive for quality standards in performance (in 8 reviews)

• I worked part time at Papyrus for about one year at a new store they opened up, and it was terrible (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

pretty good experience, even during the busiest time of year

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

fun product, colorful surroundings, ok pay

Cons

very inflexible scheduling, almost impossible to receive the schedule you want.

don't open a brand new store with brand new employees from the bottom all the way up to management. we need experience in the managerial positions to guide us in a positive, lucrative way.

Management is horrible but employees are great.

Current Employee - Selling Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Selling Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount is really good and my coworkers are fun.

Cons

The management expects you to perform miracles. If the sales are down, it's the associates faults but if the sales are through the roof then it's because of the management's ideas. Also, they don't fire you so they just don't schedule you until you decide to quit because you're not getting any hours.

Please take care of your associates more. Management needs to allocate more hours to train and not just expect to know everything in 2 days.

Not what I expected...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for management
    Okay discount

Cons

Management gets hours cut, but still expected to do the same amount of work.

Be realistic

good coworkers but company sucks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Papyrus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discount is pretty good, coworkers are really nice even though some of them are slow

Cons

amount of work expected to be done with minimum wage and mistreatment

rethink your whole strategy

Hard work, no appreciation

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Papyrus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, great fellow employees to work with

Cons

treated like a mule, expect no appreciation

be positive and appreciate the employees that work for you

Don't respect their employees

I worked at Papyrus (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, great store staff

Cons

Corporate office can't make decisions, upper level management (regionals, VP's, etc) have no idea how to treat the store staff (sales to store managers). They make promises they can't keep and make HORRIBLE business decisions. Dominique needs to rethink who she receives business advice from or they will go out of business.

No growth in retail

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Papyrus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, great location, amazing cards and various products to work with everyday
    I loved being able to work independently on nights/mornings alone as it gave me a way to challenge myself

Cons

Gets boring fast, not much to do, management is in the pits - not particularly fond of my manager's supervision style and she herself is not polite to customers and does not support Papyrus' "joy of everyday life"...
    Low pay, no opportunities to grow unless my manager left and that would be the next promotion. How do you reach out to corporate? I'm a creative, I want to be able to do more than just a simple retail job.

Stop branching out and pretending like everything is perfect, when you should be working on your employees and how you can provide growth or opportunities for them.

All in all nice place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell.

Cons

Typical shift of management and leadership both at a DM level as well as at an associate level.

Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun energetic environment, great people work here.

Cons

Takes long for things to move, Slow moments

Not the best place to work.

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Papyrus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

We got an amazing discount. I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Got to learn how to wrap beautiful presents. Worked with fabulous products.

Cons

Leadership seemed very removed from what was actually happening in stores. For example they would routinely send marketing materials and merchandising plans that our store was completely unable to do because we lacked the correct fixtures or products in our location. I imagine this happens in most stores. They would also come down hard on store management for not solving random problems in the way that senior management would have liked without providing reasons, clarification, or training opportunities for management and staff to grow from.

The store staff is small and this left little opportunity for career growth. My schedule was horrible and I would often be asked to work six or more days in a row while still being well under part time in terms of hours and benefits which lead to them being able to take full advantage of my availability while making it impossible for me to earn a living wage either through them or by finding employment opportunities outside of them (it's hard to schedule interviews or even provide a schedule to another employer when you don't have days off and your hours are constantly changing).

Focus on training. You have good staff in place in most stores. invest in them. Find ways to make them feel appreciated and when something happens use it as a training opportunity. Also showing job listing within stores and corporate and making this listing available specifically to employees will be able to help them find opportunities within the company so they don't have to look for those opportunities elsewhere.

Get your act together with your marketing team. Have clear visions of what your marketing plan is and why. Then have clear and attainable ways for your stores to roll out those plans. For example this summer you sent a blue "coral" sheet to hang in in the front window... Which honestly looked tacky and not like coral at all BUT assuming someone somewhere did like it and thought it had value then wouldn't it have been fun to do something summery with that and showcase all of the nautical and/or beach themed products we carry? Rather than just putting some random products by it?

Papyrus Photos