Papyrus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell (in 6 reviews)

• Great discount, fun products, small store (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has told us that we are unable to hire more people due to payroll (in 8 reviews)

• The hours are extremely part time and you get them based on your ability to sell people on rewards memberships (in 6 reviews)

1. Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Papyrus

Pros

Clients, products, reputation, hours, discount

Cons

Always cutting payroll while adding additional tasks to complete. Working alone.

People love the store and the product!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where else can you work where most everyone who comes in says they love our store - they love our cards! And people love to share their story of how someone felt special when they received our card. It's delightful. It brings out the best in me to give even better service.

Cons

It's been a long time since many of us had raises. There is no review and when asked for one, it short over the phone and no raise. So, come for the fun.

Advice to Management

time for a raise, please

"sorry, we're understaffed today"... And always

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Wonderful merchandise, with the 45% discount I've bought tons of wrapping paper, cards, journals and cashwrap merchandise there. The store isn't constantly overloaded with customers. I liked wrapping presents and moving around merchandise, color coding everything etc. customers were usually mature. And I did like the challenge! the rush of trying to finish all of the shipment in a certain amount of time, I never felt bored in there, always something to do.

Cons

Store was understaffed. No store should only have two employees. We had absolutely no back up. There were days I would come in with a fever feeling horrible because if I didn't, they would force my co worker. Working all day alone could be stressful depending on the day. Like when you ask? Well! Like during the day when they accounced on snapshot that "certain items are on sale and you have to scan the whole store to figure out which!" combined with 11 boxes of shipment customers wanting things gift wrapped for them, people interested in custom printing and people needing to be rung all at the same time while you're there alone all day. Then trying to figure out how to close the store in the middle of the day just to clock out for the break and coming back to the door to multiple people frustrated that you were gone. It's not the worst, no, but stressful.

Advice to Management

Have a manager for every store and no less than three workers. A district manager that only visits once every two months (if that) is definitely not enough. If you can't keep a store properly staffed to the point where people's emergency requests, appointments and funerals are refused, then you're doing something seriously wrong and it's abusive to make someone feel horrible for, God forbid, calling out sick suddenly. When people come in, ready to spend a good few hundreds on custom made invitations, those people want your undivided attention and advice, attention you can't give them when you're in a place alone being interrupted every few minutes with someone waiting to pay or asking where the retirement/confirmation/thank you/ birthday-to-my-great-aunt-3-times-removed cards are.

5. Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Papyrus part-time

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. It was fun working with people and helping them find what they need. Easy sales associate position.

Cons

Sometimes corporate would come in and things would get pretty intense, I am not sure if I agreed with some of their customer service advice.

Lack of training, lack of respect

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Discount, products, pay was average for Manhattan retail

Cons

I told them days that I was free throughout the week so that I can spread out my hours. There is absolutely no accomodation for students. The higher ups who occasionally visited stores were incredibly rude and I was honestly confused how they even worked for a company. Maybe this is just me but some of the older people who work at Papyrus take their job so seriously to the point that they feel everyone should know as much as they do. There isn't an environment of helping others which was tough to go through.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be so much more important. I trained at a small, busy store for three days and literally learned nothing new. They left me to do whatever I could and then would just watch me awkwardly stand around when the store went dead. I was expected to know so much about Papyrus and the logistics of how to do things but news flash: I was new. The person who hired me had such a stank attitude and was extremely condescending towards me when I asked her a question. Not to mention I was never told that I HAD to call the store that I was going to be eventually working at. I was a new employee who so out of the loop and yet they wanted me to somehow figure out which store I was sent to. When I got to the store I was set to work at, they didn't go over how they do things at their store. I had to constantly ask them questions because I didn't want to do something important the wrong way. When it came time to talking to my supervisor about hours, she was totally unreceptive and basically seemed like she was ready to go home. I never even learned how to wrap gifts. so when I had to defer gift wrapping to someone who knew, they would look at me like I'm crazy. I told them "if I could watch you and you can teach me as you go, that'd be great". They just told me to go something else but with such an attitude. The workers are either super proud of themselves for working at Papyrus or miserable.

7. Very Good

I have been working at Papyrus part-time

Pros

Great Team, a lot of fun but gets work done. Nice environment if you like creativity. Manager that actually cares for employees and is flexible around their needs

Cons

very small store, some people feel it is difficult to get around especially considering the touristy areas.

Advice to Management

Nothing doing pretty well as of late.

Paid the bills....that

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Coworkers, my immediate DM, Easy

Cons

Most of the upper management are on a self-prescribed egotistical, power trip with no regard to anyone or anything around them. The poor sense of business Dominique has is seen year after year. This is especially visible in the apparent disregard and lack of relevant qualifications, skills, talent, and/or experience that was taken into consideration that is usually required by anyone in an upper management position. Because most of them lack the necessary skills (and professionalism), the ability run a successful, growing business is impossible.

Advice to Management

Get an actual Business Development Consultant that will acutually provide succuessful, and thoughtful advice instead of saying what you want to hear. Re-evaluate, your trustedcircle of self-centered, idiots. If multiple customers complain/remark about his/her negative, attitude and the rude, unprofessional, and insensitive manners displayed at every visit.....it's time find someone else to make the decisions. .

AWFUL. Unless you are one of the "chosen".

Former Employee - Manager-In-Training in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager-In-Training in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful products, except for the American Greetings crap they force you to make room for. Custom printing was my favorite thing. Not many more pros other than that, because the corporate overlords make this place a living hell every single day, unless you are a "favorite". Even that status won't last forever, if you dare speak up about the wage and labor abuses and the endless stream of shipment that you are supposed to process while you are the only associate on the sales floor and you have a CP order to take while you are ringing up $1.95 AG cards.

Cons

When I started working here, it was great. The products were beautiful the stores were beautiful, shipments were reasonable, life was good. Then Dominique Schurman sold the trademark and the right to produce the products to American Greetings in exchange for a line of credit and all the AG store outlets. Thence began the downward slide, which has not been stemmed since.

Advice to Management

Let your managers run their stores. Stop playing favorites-- you should reward merit and sales, not whoever kisses your you-know-what and how deeply. Stop retaliating against workers who call out some of your DMs on illegal wage and labor violations. Pay your employees for the hours they ACTUALLY work, instead of for the hours the DMs make managers record in TimeSheetPlus. Give managers enough of a budget to always have at least 2 people on. It's dangerous to run a store all alone in the early mornings and late evenings. Drop the Niquea'D and AG crap.
    For starters.

LOVED My Store Manager, Didn't Care for the Way Corporate Treated Us

Former Employee - Keyholder in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Novi, MI

I worked at Papyrus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my store manager and my co-workers. Flexible working hours. A lot of variety of work on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

Very low pay with an incredibly restricted hour maximum per work week. Towards the end of my time with the company, we were limited to no more than 28 hours a week per employee, even during the holidays. Absolutely no overtime allowed (because my specific store was understaffed, we had to break both the 28 hours/no overtime rule and were at least approved to do so, but only through the holidays). I worked seasonally, then temporarily part-time for over a year, and then temporarily part-time again for a few months with breaks for school. I had almost 2 years of experience at the end of it all, and the other girls working with me who had 6 months to a year of experience were making more than me because corporate wanted to keep my wages the same as when I was originally hired on. That didn't seem fair to me at all.

Advice to Management

The wages are not high enough to support a part-time employee.

If they asked me back I wouldn't go.

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Washington, DC

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, ending my shift, my days off. When they paid me out after my lay off the they some what paid me out correctly.

Cons

Terrible district manager and corporate management. Pay wasn't competative. Most of us signed up to be store managers and got pushed Into a ridiculously pathetic attempt to re invent the company with a new line named after the Ceo It's the reason why so many of us were laid off, the year that the company did well they took that profit and created a line of ugly costume jewelry instead of giving pay raise.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Your people are only as good as you are, harassment by e-mail is cyber bullying, trying to re-invent a company is the reason most businesses that do fail. Overpricing and selling cheap costume jewelry isn't a way to pull yourself out of a deficit,but a way to push you further into one.

RSS Feed </> Embed