Papyrus
www.papyrusonline.com Fairfield, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Papyrus Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Dominique Schurman

Pros:
  • "Custom Printing services allow for creativity as well"
    in 5 reviews
  • "45% discount, some great employees store level"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part-timers not given real monetary incentive or upper-management example to strive for quality standards in performance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I worked part time at Papyrus for about one year at a new store they opened up, and it was terrible"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company; lack of focus.

Keyholder (Current Employee)

ProsAt these locations, we were like family. Overall, the experience was great because of the managers in place. Other locations across the country do not feel the same.

ConsLack of upward mobility, daily floor moves, lack of focus from higher level management, and launch of new product offerings without proper research of the market made this company frustrating to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits and training are definitely lacking. Think back to when you were successful and focus on how that happened. There is a lack of focus currently and you are losing customers due to this. You have a great concept and it would be a shame to see it go out of business! (Stop hiring "Yes" men and women.)

The experience was ok. Definitely not amazing.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe products are beautiful and interesting. Their products are generally speaking are good quality. There is usually an opportunity to move up in the company depending on your current status. If your just in the retail aspect, you probably wont get too far.

ConsI feel like the company somewhat discriminates according to "class". If you'r not the most trendy or have that sassy appeal your not looked at as equally. Maybe a little biased is the way to think of it?

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice goes to district and regional managers: Try to look at American Greetings employees as Papyrus employees. It would have been nice to be trained like you wanted a "Papyrus employee" to be rather than firing us after a crappy as you would call it "interview".

I worked with this company for over 10 years

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I started as a part time sales associate, it took a while before there was any opportunity to advance. However, eventually I was able to move up in position, to where I ultimately had my own store to manage. One problem we had as a store was with our DM...when my staff and I expressed a concern over safety issues (we were a street location: we were often alone at night working; we were concerned with store hold ups which were occurring in the area at the time)...our DM purchased two security cameras for our store, and installed them. We discovered the packaging for these "cameras" and found out they were not really cameras at all, just dummy cases screwed onto the wall. Our DM kept telling us how wonderful it was that we were now safe; we played along, but knew that we were NOT safer than before. He had installed these and yet tried to make us believe they were "recording" at all times, in case "something happened"!! Needless to say, I was let down about this situation. I am no longer with the company, and I have heard that this DM is no longer in the area.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth. Not much in the way of rewards. Compensation seemed to be on the low end compared to comparable positions elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management need to be more aware of what goes on with some of the staff, as it had been a problem that I noticed in the past.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ehhh

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone gets noticed in a small store

ConsToo small for growing potential

An overall growing experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Studio City, CA

ProsI have learned so much in customer service.

ConsCorporate doesn't listen to there employees as much that is hoped for.

Focus on money, not customers

Sister Store Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBeautiful merchandise, good relationships with customers and coworkers. I enjoyed working with customers on personalized printing orders.

ConsPolicies favor making a buck over ensuring customer and employee happiness. Corporate office never gives positive feedback; even when sales were good, we were told to "do better".
    In recent years the merchandise has become very glitzy, embellished with sparkles, feathers and glitter and the prices have risen tremendously. Papyrus used to have beautiful, elegant cards; but not anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that happy employees and satisfied customers generate larger sales in the long run.

Great products, managment lacks communication.

ProsGreat discount, fun products, small store. IF you have a good manager it is bearable. You get to know your customers really well and most of the time customers are in a good mood.

ConsTotal lack of communication! After working here for 3 years and working my way up the ranks a corporate restructure brought in a new manager that lacks common decency. He will not have a conversation, everything has to be written down; making for a really quite shift. Retaliation is common when you follow policy and make upper managment aware of violations. Upper managment lacks a sense of timelyness, they put off dealing with difficult problems hoping they will go away. Constantly sent product that doesn't sell because of an abundance at the warehouse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your store managers show the employees some respect. Your "promise" is supposed to ensure that customers are happy, what about your employees? What do you do to ensure they are happier with this company? Maybe if finances are a struggle you should stop opening new stores and sending out product that doesn't sell. Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers.

Heavy workload

ProsThis is an environment that is never boring. You are constantly on the move as the retail environment is constantly changing and evolving. It is generally a happy place to be. The stores are beautiful and the products are fun to sell.

ConsThe nature of the business requires a lot of physical work. Payroll is tight so you are there are many instances where you are in the store by yourself, which makes it difficult to attend to customers' if is busy. As with most retail environments there is a lot of pressure to meet the complex criteria of goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll does not support the workload. There is a disconnect between Executive Management and Store Manangers.

Great work environment

Key Holder (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is really good! It's the best I've seen a company give. My manager is amazing she is friendly, professional, cares about the store, and is fare to all employees. The whole team is great to work with! Our repeat customers are always happy with the merchandise and complement us all the time on our friendliness.

ConsThere is no moving up in this location, no full time, and no assistant manager position available so I'm left with part time which is good for now, but same day it would be nice to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the cards updated and fresh the customers and staff get bored seeing the same holiday cards each year.

Managers suck

Brand Analyst (Former Employee)
    Fairfield, CA

ProsThe people you work with are great and the product is fantastic

Consno support or help from manager

Worked for Papyrus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Papyrus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Papyrus CEO Dominique Schurman. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Papyrus employees.