Papyrus

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
2.7

Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell (in 6 reviews)

• Custom Printing services allow for creativity as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Part-timers not given real monetary incentive or upper-management example to strive for quality standards in performance (in 8 reviews)

• The hours are extremely part time and you get them based on your ability to sell people on rewards memberships (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very rewarding.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Liberty Cor, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Liberty Cor, NJ

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee satisfatcion rate is very high along with their pay structures ensuring they promote within.

Cons

It took a while to think of any but the locations of the office may have been one tending to be quite rural.

Only Care About The Bottom Line

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful merchandise, great employee discount, and relaxing setting.

Cons

Upper management is very aloof and rude towards associates.They act is if they are superior to associates... the very same associates who work extremely diligently to promote sales and ensure Custer satisfaction.

No diversity with cards or merchandise.They only cater to their Caucasian customers.

Outdated inventory techniques that make it extremely difficult for associates to manage.

Outdated software that constantly goes down.Employees are forced to repair POS systems.

Opportunity for advancement only exists for a select few.

Would rather give in to dishonest customers then to engage in useful conflict resolution tactics that if used correctly, could increase revenue.Instead they tell their employees the answer to everything is "yes" in regards to the customers demands.

Hire an Organizational Development Consultant... ASAP.

Awful

Former Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Fun co-workers, 45% discount, most of the merchandise is great, you learn fun gift wrapping

Cons

Upper management is awful, they are used as a scare tactic, they take advantage of employees, I was hired as a part time key holder but was expected to work full time hours with no benefits, paid days off, float holidays etc. The jewelry line Niquea.D is over priced no one buys its and the associates are always blamed for not pushing it, we were desperately under staffed, how do you run a store with 5 employees?

Care about your employees!

Broken Promises, Indifferent Management

Current Employee - Store Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful merchandise of generally consistent standards

Cons

This is my third attempt at reviewing this company accurately, but Glassdoor objects to my observations and choice of language. Beware of this company. It expects everything and gives nothing back. Most of all, beware of ignorant, toxic Yes" supervisors that permeate the entire company.

Stop using the company to feed your egos. Get real business people to run the place.

An overall amazing experience with outstanding staff and very comfortable environment.

I have been working at Papyrus

Pros

Great quality of people, customers and overall environment.

Cons

A little bit of a learning curve because the customers that you deal with are different than your usual customers in other retail stores.

More focus on training the newest people the first 2 weeks of employment.

It's a decent job working with nice products

Former Employee - Keyholder in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Seattle, WA

I worked at Papyrus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The products are fabulous. 45% discount is great. It was fun learning techniques to wrap presents, and create custom stationary and invitations. These creative tasks also broke up the monotony of the day to day cashiering and stocking.

Cons

The hours are extremely part time and you get them based on your ability to sell people on rewards memberships. There are no benefits. Pay is typical, low, retail pay.

Find ways to reward your employees and create growth and development opportunities for them. Having a transparency on store goals and objectives from the top down is helpful too. Many times important decisions feel random and pointless, where as if we understood the marketing or plans it would make us feel more engaged in our jobs and more excited about reaching those goals.

Key Holder Overview

Former Employee - Key Holder in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Papyrus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is easy to display and rearrange merchandise as opposed to merchandising clothing. Customers constantly compliment the store and its products. Overall, it is a pleasant place to work.

Cons

Commission should be added to custom printing sales as there is no motivation to sell CP otherwise. There is minimal training which isn't great as you will know nothing about custom printing (CP) and customers expect you too. That also means that more seasoned employees are expected to train newer ones even though it is not in your job description.

Allot more time for training, allot a lot more time for custom printing training and add commission to custom printing sales.

Beautiful product but terrible management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Braintree, MA

I worked at Papyrus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The papyrus products are great and the employee discount was generous. The other employees were nice but a bit slow.

Cons

Management was abusive, rude and downright disrespectful towards their employees. This is unacceptable and this is why I left the company. There was little to no training for the managers or the staff and a new store was opened with only two employees in place. The worst management I have ever encountered. There was a revolving door of managers when I was there.

For starters, stop treating your employees like dirt. You need to hire people who ONLY train your store managers and employees for, at least, one week straight. You need to re-think the store and product displays. There is too much product shoved onto the tables. It is overwhelming to the customer and looks sloppy.

pretty good experience, even during the busiest time of year

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

fun product, colorful surroundings, ok pay

Cons

very inflexible scheduling, almost impossible to receive the schedule you want.

don't open a brand new store with brand new employees from the bottom all the way up to management. we need experience in the managerial positions to guide us in a positive, lucrative way.

Not what I expected...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for management
    Okay discount

Cons

Management gets hours cut, but still expected to do the same amount of work.

Be realistic