Papyrus Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
92 reviews filtered by
2.5
Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell (in 6 reviews)

• Custom Printing services allow for creativity as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Part-timers not given real monetary incentive or upper-management example to strive for quality standards in performance (in 8 reviews)

• The hours are extremely part time and you get them based on your ability to sell people on rewards memberships (in 6 reviews)

LOVED My Store Manager, Didn't Care for the Way Corporate Treated Us

Former Employee - Keyholder in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Novi, MI

I worked at Papyrus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my store manager and my co-workers. Flexible working hours. A lot of variety of work on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

Very low pay with an incredibly restricted hour maximum per work week. Towards the end of my time with the company, we were limited to no more than 28 hours a week per employee, even during the holidays. Absolutely no overtime allowed (because my specific store was understaffed, we had to break both the 28 hours/no overtime rule and were at least approved to do so, but only through the holidays). I worked seasonally, then temporarily part-time for over a year, and then temporarily part-time again for a few months with breaks for school. I had almost 2 years of experience at the end of it all, and the other girls working with me who had 6 months to a year of experience were making more than me because corporate wanted to keep my wages the same as when I was originally hired on. That didn't seem fair to me at all.

The wages are not high enough to support a part-time employee.

If they asked me back I wouldn't go.

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Washington, DC

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, ending my shift, my days off. When they paid me out after my lay off the they some what paid me out correctly.

Cons

Terrible district manager and corporate management. Pay wasn't competative. Most of us signed up to be store managers and got pushed Into a ridiculously pathetic attempt to re invent the company with a new line named after the Ceo It's the reason why so many of us were laid off, the year that the company did well they took that profit and created a line of ugly costume jewelry instead of giving pay raise.

Practice what you preach. Your people are only as good as you are, harassment by e-mail is cyber bullying, trying to re-invent a company is the reason most businesses that do fail. Overpricing and selling cheap costume jewelry isn't a way to pull yourself out of a deficit,but a way to push you further into one.

Let Store Managers Manage The Stores!!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, fun displays and i loved working in upscale mall environment. I was hourly as a Store Mgr and I loved it. 40 hours, no more or less. Mall hours are great, I'm not a morning person. Great employee discount and you make your own schedule (within their guidelines).

Cons

store mgrs- regardless of their background, education and experience, are allowed to make NO decisions, and are both treated and spoken to as if they are idiots. They are told EVERYTHING to do. They could hire monkey's or uneducated and inexperienced folk because they are treated as such.
    ALSO- they don't contribute to your health insurance, it costs a literal fortune. I had to buy mine somewhere else, couldn't afford it!

let the store managers to just that. regional and area folks micromanage them to death. trust your employees, let them have some input and feel some ownership.
    turn your custom printing business into an online thing. everyone orders things online now, and it will free up room and payroll in your stores.

Good products, Confusing leadership

Former Employee - Key Holder in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Boston, MA

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

It's a clean, warm, and inviting environment. They're pretty flexible on training as well.

Cons

Leadership was so confusing. They had an awful method of communicating with employees, and seemed to make leadership, promotional, and other marketing decisions out of nowhere. Was never really any connection between the leadership and our store - we were never asked for any input even from our regional leadership.

BE CONSISTENT. don't make changes at the drop of a hat. It leads to confusion and poor culture.

Selling supervisor

I have been working at Papyrus full-time

Pros

45% member discount. Flexible hours.

Cons

The company will do just about anything to save money. Incredibly cheap and they don't care at all about their employees. No pay increases within years. Sometimes forced to go on a shift alone with no chance of breaks.

Care about the employee and maybe we can care back. Give hours and help to those who ask instead of turning the other cheek. Team members have quit on the spot because of lack of respect to us.

Upper Management Plays Favorites

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Generous discount, beautiful merchandise, fun atmosphere. Writing custom printing orders is fun and helps build long-term relationships with customers. Many customers were wonderful.

Cons

Ego-driven company; CEO named a brand after herself; will not approve overtime so worked for free many hours each week. Upper management has clear favorites in each district and in each store. My DM made it a point to show he didn't like me, I could never do anything right in his eyes.

Hire DMs that are fair, don't play favorites, don't accuse staff of lying when HE is the one doing something wrong. Allow more hours to support the business rather than forcing staff to scrape by with the bare minimum and then yell when plan isn't made.

8. Very rewarding.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Liberty Cor, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Liberty Cor, NJ

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee satisfatcion rate is very high along with their pay structures ensuring they promote within.

Cons

It took a while to think of any but the locations of the office may have been one tending to be quite rural.

Only Care About The Bottom Line

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful merchandise, great employee discount, and relaxing setting.

Cons

Upper management is very aloof and rude towards associates.They act is if they are superior to associates... the very same associates who work extremely diligently to promote sales and ensure Custer satisfaction.

No diversity with cards or merchandise.They only cater to their Caucasian customers.

Outdated inventory techniques that make it extremely difficult for associates to manage.

Outdated software that constantly goes down.Employees are forced to repair POS systems.

Opportunity for advancement only exists for a select few.

Would rather give in to dishonest customers then to engage in useful conflict resolution tactics that if used correctly, could increase revenue.Instead they tell their employees the answer to everything is "yes" in regards to the customers demands.

Hire an Organizational Development Consultant... ASAP.

Awful

Former Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Keyholder in New York, NY

I worked at Papyrus

Pros

Fun co-workers, 45% discount, most of the merchandise is great, you learn fun gift wrapping

Cons

Upper management is awful, they are used as a scare tactic, they take advantage of employees, I was hired as a part time key holder but was expected to work full time hours with no benefits, paid days off, float holidays etc. The jewelry line Niquea.D is over priced no one buys its and the associates are always blamed for not pushing it, we were desperately under staffed, how do you run a store with 5 employees?

Care about your employees!

Broken Promises, Indifferent Management

Current Employee - Store Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Papyrus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful merchandise of generally consistent standards

Cons

This is my third attempt at reviewing this company accurately, but Glassdoor objects to my observations and choice of language. Beware of this company. It expects everything and gives nothing back. Most of all, beware of ignorant, toxic Yes" supervisors that permeate the entire company.

Stop using the company to feed your egos. Get real business people to run the place.

Papyrus Photos