Papyrus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell (in 6 reviews)

• Great discount, fun products, small store (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has told us that we are unable to hire more people due to payroll (in 8 reviews)

• The hours are extremely part time and you get them based on your ability to sell people on rewards memberships (in 6 reviews)

1. Store Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Papyrus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. Wonderful product! Fun work environment.

Cons

Wanted more work hours, not enough.

Advice to Management

Keep working on developing the teams.

2. Selling Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service driven and team oriented kind of an environment.

Cons

Part time work only. No career advancement.

3. Supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Papyrus (Less than a year)

Pros

a lot of free time and time alone. i was always left a lone and was able to do my work, but also take as many breaks as needed

Cons

the training was pretty much non existant. i was expected to do things i was never trained for some times and yelled at because no one ever taught me

Advice to Management

train your employees properly and give better reviews and evaluations. it was frustrating not knowing if i was doing well or not

5. Many struggling employees.

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Papyrus (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Great leaders. Amazing Lasalle Street store manager, Paul.

Cons

Company is not willing to invest in their employees. Rarely offer promotion.

Don't put yourself through the misery

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Great product, nice creative cards

Cons

Treated poorly, degraded and insulted regularly. Trickle down effect from management. Felt like Nazi Germany, not exaggerating. Traumatic. This is not an isolated situation.

Advice to Management

Sell to someone outside of the family, retire early. You're great at product development, not at managing people or creating a healthy infrastructure.

Store Manager

Pros

Discount that is all. Management is awful. No rewards. No thank you

Cons

No breaks no lunches. 1x1 coverage all day. By far worst company I have worked for

Advice to Management

None

8. I would go never go to back to Papyrus

Former Employee - Key Holder

Pros

They sell beautiful knick knacks. Managers are usually flexible with working with your school schedule.

Cons

Cut payrolls, understaffed, lack of training, no raises

Advice to Management

Please stop cutting hours during certain weeks. Please start giving raises after a year of employment.

9. Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Clients, products, reputation, hours, discount

Cons

Always cutting payroll while adding additional tasks to complete. Working alone.

"sorry, we're understaffed today"... And always

Former Employee - Key Holder

Pros

Wonderful merchandise, with the 45% discount I've bought tons of wrapping paper, cards, journals and cashwrap merchandise there. The store isn't constantly overloaded with customers. I liked wrapping presents and moving around merchandise, color coding everything etc. customers were usually mature. And I did like the challenge! the rush of trying to finish all of the shipment in a certain amount of time, I never felt bored in there, always something to do.

Cons

Store was understaffed. No store should only have two employees. We had absolutely no back up. There were days I would come in with a fever feeling horrible because if I didn't, they would force my co worker. Working all day alone could be stressful depending on the day. Like when you ask? Well! Like during the day when they accounced on snapshot that "certain items are on sale and you have to scan the whole store to figure out which!" combined with 11 boxes of shipment customers wanting things gift wrapped for them, people interested in custom printing and people needing to be rung all at the same time while you're there alone all day. Then trying to figure out how to close the store in the middle of the day just to clock out for the break and coming back to the door to multiple people frustrated that you were gone. It's not the worst, no, but stressful.

Advice to Management

Have a manager for every store and no less than three workers. A district manager that only visits once every two months (if that) is definitely not enough. If you can't keep a store properly staffed to the point where people's emergency requests, appointments and funerals are refused, then you're doing something seriously wrong and it's abusive to make someone feel horrible for, God forbid, calling out sick suddenly. When people come in, ready to spend a good few hundreds on custom made invitations, those people want your undivided attention and advice, attention you can't give them when you're in a place alone being interrupted every few minutes with someone waiting to pay or asking where the retirement/confirmation/thank you/ birthday-to-my-great-aunt-3-times-removed cards are.

People love the store and the product!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Papyrus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where else can you work where most everyone who comes in says they love our store - they love our cards! And people love to share their story of how someone felt special when they received our card. It's delightful. It brings out the best in me to give even better service.

Cons

It's been a long time since many of us had raises. There is no review and when asked for one, it short over the phone and no raise. So, come for the fun.

Advice to Management

time for a raise, please

RSS Feed </> Embed