Papyrus Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.6

Dominique Schurman

Pros
  • Custom Printing services allow for creativity as well (in 5 reviews)

• Great discount, fun products, small store (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Part-timers not given real monetary incentive or upper-management example to strive for quality standards in performance (in 8 reviews)

• I worked part time at Papyrus for about one year at a new store they opened up, and it was terrible (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what I expected...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for management
    Okay discount

Cons

Management gets hours cut, but still expected to do the same amount of work.

Be realistic

Hard work, no appreciation

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Papyrus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent, great fellow employees to work with

Cons

treated like a mule, expect no appreciation

be positive and appreciate the employees that work for you

Don't respect their employees

I worked at Papyrus for more than a year

Pros

Good discount, great store staff

Cons

Corporate office can't make decisions, upper level management (regionals, VP's, etc) have no idea how to treat the store staff (sales to store managers). They make promises they can't keep and make HORRIBLE business decisions. Dominique needs to rethink who she receives business advice from or they will go out of business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No growth in retail

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Papyrus part-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved my coworkers, great location, amazing cards and various products to work with everyday
    I loved being able to work independently on nights/mornings alone as it gave me a way to challenge myself

Cons

Gets boring fast, not much to do, management is in the pits - not particularly fond of my manager's supervision style and she herself is not polite to customers and does not support Papyrus' "joy of everyday life"...
    Low pay, no opportunities to grow unless my manager left and that would be the next promotion. How do you reach out to corporate? I'm a creative, I want to be able to do more than just a simple retail job.

Stop branching out and pretending like everything is perfect, when you should be working on your employees and how you can provide growth or opportunities for them.

All in all nice place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Papyrus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting business model, nice products, easy sell.

Cons

Typical shift of management and leadership both at a DM level as well as at an associate level.

Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Papyrus part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun energetic environment, great people work here.

Cons

Takes long for things to move, Slow moments

Not the best place to work.

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Papyrus part-time for more than a year

Pros

We got an amazing discount. I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Got to learn how to wrap beautiful presents. Worked with fabulous products.

Cons

Leadership seemed very removed from what was actually happening in stores. For example they would routinely send marketing materials and merchandising plans that our store was completely unable to do because we lacked the correct fixtures or products in our location. I imagine this happens in most stores. They would also come down hard on store management for not solving random problems in the way that senior management would have liked without providing reasons, clarification, or training opportunities for management and staff to grow from.

The store staff is small and this left little opportunity for career growth. My schedule was horrible and I would often be asked to work six or more days in a row while still being well under part time in terms of hours and benefits which lead to them being able to take full advantage of my availability while making it impossible for me to earn a living wage either through them or by finding employment opportunities outside of them (it's hard to schedule interviews or even provide a schedule to another employer when you don't have days off and your hours are constantly changing).

Focus on training. You have good staff in place in most stores. invest in them. Find ways to make them feel appreciated and when something happens use it as a training opportunity. Also showing job listing within stores and corporate and making this listing available specifically to employees will be able to help them find opportunities within the company so they don't have to look for those opportunities elsewhere.

Get your act together with your marketing team. Have clear visions of what your marketing plan is and why. Then have clear and attainable ways for your stores to roll out those plans. For example this summer you sent a blue "coral" sheet to hang in in the front window... Which honestly looked tacky and not like coral at all BUT assuming someone somewhere did like it and thought it had value then wouldn't it have been fun to do something summery with that and showcase all of the nautical and/or beach themed products we carry? Rather than just putting some random products by it?

They'll work you to the bone

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Papyrus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the products we sell at Papyrus and am an avid card sender. I also rally liked working with my co-workers.

Cons

They are constantly cutting hours and we never have enough support to be able to do our jobs well.

Consistency, shipments should be scheduled at appropriate times, say from 8-10am on Mondays and Wednesday, not randomly throughout the week. Also it's expensive to live in San Francisco and their compensation is not to par.

Good Company; lack of focus.

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Papyrus part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At these locations, we were like family. Overall, the experience was great because of the managers in place. Other locations across the country do not feel the same.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility, daily floor moves, lack of focus from higher level management, and launch of new product offerings without proper research of the market made this company frustrating to work for.

Benefits and training are definitely lacking. Think back to when you were successful and focus on how that happened. There is a lack of focus currently and you are losing customers due to this. You have a great concept and it would be a shame to see it go out of business! (Stop hiring "Yes" men and women.)

I worked with this company for over 10 years

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Papyrus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I started as a part time sales associate, it took a while before there was any opportunity to advance. However, eventually I was able to move up in position, to where I ultimately had my own store to manage. One problem we had as a store was with our DM...when my staff and I expressed a concern over safety issues (we were a street location: we were often alone at night working; we were concerned with store hold ups which were occurring in the area at the time)...our DM purchased two security cameras for our store, and installed them. We discovered the packaging for these "cameras" and found out they were not really cameras at all, just dummy cases screwed onto the wall. Our DM kept telling us how wonderful it was that we were now safe; we played along, but knew that we were NOT safer than before. He had installed these and yet tried to make us believe they were "recording" at all times, in case "something happened"!! Needless to say, I was let down about this situation. I am no longer with the company, and I have heard that this DM is no longer in the area.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Not much in the way of rewards. Compensation seemed to be on the low end compared to comparable positions elsewhere.

Upper management need to be more aware of what goes on with some of the staff, as it had been a problem that I noticed in the past.

Worked for Papyrus? Contribute to the Community!