Paradise Bakery & Café Reviews

David Birzon

1. Never again.

Former Employee - Barista/Cashier in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista/Cashier in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fun to work with.

Cons

Anyone could call out thirty minutes before their shift began. It messed up the closing crew ALL the time. Worked more than scheduled all the time. Very busy environment and always running out of food!

Advice to Management

Consider a no calling out policy and stop favoring people.

Abysmal

Former Employee - Associate in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers I had were alright, for the most part. The job itself wasn't bad at all, but the Signal Butte/Baseline location was horrible.

Cons

The most dysfunctional group of managers I've ever worked with. One chewed dip inside the restaurant while on the clock, one ignored blatant health violations and had an excuse for everything, and another harassed the employees daily about a dress code that she didn't even follow.

Advice to Management

Get a new job.

3. No Standards

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the managers were pretty decent, lots of good people to work with in the back of the house, Generous pay, room for advancement, and free food.

Cons

Management is not allowed by corporate to fire poor workers simply for being bad at their jobs, which means that if you work hard, you'll just have to do someone else's job too.

Advice to Management

Fire the garbage employees or keep losing your good ones, I loved doing my job but didn't want to do my coworkers jobs too.

5. Unfair

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista

I have been working at Paradise Bakery & Café

Pros

The food is good and you get a 70% discount if you work that day.

Cons

They took away the 40% off-duty employee discount and raised prices. The managers give raises to the people they feel like no matter their job performance while I have been working there longer than a lot of them and do not even get paid starting wage. It is unfair as I am head cashier and have a lot of responsibilities that others do not. The people I train just starting out make significantly more money than I make there.

Advice to Management

Practice ethics.

Work you butt off so they make all the money.

Current Employee - Cashier Hired As Supervisor Lied to in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Cashier Hired As Supervisor Lied to in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Paradise Bakery & Café full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discounts for decent food. Sometimes fun and relaxed working atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is poor. You only get 10 cent raises at the MOST every year for your review. They dont follow through on their training matrix, only enough to cover their a**. No rewards for good work other than cheap pins to put on you visor only non managers are forced to wear regardless of migraines they produce. Managers only act professional when big wigs are in town. New Mexico district manager favors those of his religion and promotes based on it (Mormon). Comes frozen

Advice to Management

Really observe your stores in Albuquerque. Go on undercover boss.

7. Lack of Respect leads to poor performance

Former Employee - Supervisor in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Allen, TX

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Taking home leftover cookies.

Cons

Their top priority is money. Some customers and co-workers were rude. High turnover rate for employees and General Manger.

Advice to Management

They should promote a better working atmosphere which would lead to happier employees and better business.

8. Cashier

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café part-time

Pros

good food good location nice ambiance

Cons

long hours night shift long derive

Advice to Management

pay motre

9. Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Corporate headquarters bought Paradise for the store locations and laid off their management after 3 years of integration and assisting in PNRA going from $38 a share to $160. Then they retained the long term incentives that they offered for the management to stay.

Advice to Management

Be honest up front on your intentions. It's the right thing to do. Loyalty has to work in both directions, not just worker to management.

10. This was a part time job for me and it was alright. I would not have wanted to advance into a management position.

Former Employee - Barista in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Barista in Omaha, NE

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café

Pros

flexible scheduling, convenient location, decent pay

Cons

Be wary of what you eat. You will gain weight from working here. They do not always hire top notch employees so some of your coworkers will not be the brightest. Breakfast and lunch can be very busy and sometimes it is stressful.

Advice to Management

The overall leadership structure is good. There are plenty of teaching material available. The manager has been there since almost the beginning.

11. Lots of cookies, little respect from management

Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Paradise Bakery & Café

Pros

Cookies. They are delicious. Pro-customer service philosophy. Pretty good food service standards.

Cons

Managers, Assistant Managers, and Shift Leaders are not particularly competent and generally disrespectful. Highly inconsistent policy on promotion from within. A consistently high performing associate was promised a promotion to shift leader, and remained "in training" for over a year. There is a culture among management of valuing telling others what to do over being helpful and working to achieve essential tasks. Certain policies are enforced selectively. Favoritism is common. There are some employees who are almost totally incompetent, and mysteriously remain.

Advice to Management

Move away from a chain of command-dominated culture and towards a results driven culture. I watched from less than 5 feet away an assistant manager tell a shift leader in training to tell me to take out the garbage. That is retarded, and I know this approach to task delegation is policy driven. Please be more honest about availability of hours with hourly employees. Being scheduled from anywhere between 7 and 35 hours in any given week is not a manageable situation for employees. Require basic knowledge of food and preparation from managers (the GM at my store did not know the difference between a fluid ounce and a weighed ounce).

RSS Feed </> Embed