Paragon Development Systems Reviews

3.4
Asif Naseem

1. Rewarding, challenging, improving, enjoyable

I have been working at Paragon Development Systems full-time

Pros

Great employees who genuinely care about the clients and each other. Rewarding and challenging work that keeps you interested and provides opportunities to those who invest in themselves and in the betterment of the company. Very flexible work environment. There is a focus on empowering individuals to make a difference and take the needed and right action. Good benefits that go beyond the basic to include wellness, community outreach, ball games, happy hours, etc. A great PTO package that is encouraged to be used, management is generally down to earth and interested in individuals.

Cons

Many false starts over the past 4 years while the company has tried to reinvent itself. It seems like some bad decisions were made in the attempt to rush into new products. There were some leadership issues under the previous CEO, with the appointment of a new CEO in early 2015 there has been drastic improvement at the leadership level, but pieces remain such as some of the lost culture PDS had enjoyed under the founder, and a bit of an exodus that had occurred among employees who had been long time staples of the company . Pay is not as competitive as some other companies.

Advice to Management

Provide more details on the future plans and how we will get there. Much is said about grand plans and PDS's growth but there is not a lot of transparency there yet. Focus more on the human elements and less on EBITDA, at least when it comes to employees. When connecting to employees in a tech company talking points from accounting may not be the best route.

2. It was once a good company with good people. However, it has very questionable management

I worked at Paragon Development Systems full-time

Pros

When I worked there for the most part it was working with good people and team work with comment goals good benefit package.

Cons

When the company was sold and the changed CEO from the founder the company went the hell. They will stab you in the back promise you one thing give you something else. From some reliable inside information they are doing something’s that don’t make sense like closing offices. I would be very careful and have back up plan if you start to work there. Keep you eye out for the management.

Advice to Management

Be honest and more transparent. Listen to ideas and treat your employees correctly.

Steady Job--Get out ASAP

I have been working at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They don't fire anyone for anything. It's a steady paycheck, and you can do whatever you want as long as you do your job. Work-Life balance is good, because you don't care about the job.

Cons

The management is as experienced as a sack rocks. No way to move up in the company from the service desk. The documentation for clients is trash.

Advice to Management

Fix your documentation, and train your managers to ACTUALLY manage.

A company with great potential

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay - Excellent paid time off - Ability to work from home - Flexible scheduling - Good group of people to work with - Detailed KB's - Expanding company

Cons

- I haven't really noticed any yet, some people count having to be determined and take responsibility for your own goals as a bad thing, but why would a company invest in you if you aren't invested in yourself

Advice to Management

Continue supporting the employees who support the clients that build your business, and so far a good job has been done doing this.

PDS is a good company, with tons of potential.

I have been working at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• The people – I know every company says this, but I still truly believe it at PDS. • You have the ability to make a difference and impact change. In your department, at PDS and with our customers. • Opportunity for success & career advancement. Although you do have to roll up your sleeves and work hard. New opportunities are not handed out simply because an employee feels they deserve it, they must be earned. • Personal life/work balance and flexibility • I believe we are the best at what we do in our industry. • PTO –we get a lot of time off!!! • Perks & recognition: new in 2015-casual dress code, pot luck lunches, volunteer opportunities, re-occurring happy hours, year-end celebration, wellness/weight loss programs, recognition program, year-end awards tied to company values • Our customers – we work with some really great people! • We have a new CEO

Cons

• The last 3 years have been a rollercoaster with a tremendous amount of change. Along the way some poor decisions were made that did not always made sense. On top of it communication was poor. • There are several areas that lack resources, investments need to be made in order to get the growth results desired

Advice to Management

• Focus 1) get PDS back on track by investing in the things we have historically been really good at, there is a reason we have been around this long and have such loyal customers. THEN focus on the new ways we can grow and expand our business. 2) Refocus on employees and culture, less focus on EBITDA. Don’t underestimate what an impact this can have on company goals and morale.

Yikes. Awful.

Former Employee - Former Employee in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once was a great company with some great people...

Cons

Just about everything... Was overworked and unappreciated No advancement capabilities Not competitive AT ALL with the pay/salary Constant changes and lay-offs - "no job security" is an understatement Leadership was dishonest and nontransparent to employees on all levels Horrible communication Seems like everyone is stepping on one another to stay afloat

Advice to Management

Hopefully the new CEO as of 2015 can turn things around.

Once Great, Now Toxic - Avoid

I worked at Paragon Development Systems full-time

Pros

The only Pro is the few remaining long-term employees who are still there from prior to Private Equity acquisition at the end of 2010. They somehow manage to still carry the torch for the culture and loyalty that once existed when the original founder and CEO / Management Team made the company a Best Place to Work winner. Their numbers are dwindling with each passing year as culture and revenue continue to decline and the hope of a "turn around" seems less and less likely.

Cons

Cons - just about everything. The review from January 20th is clearly from HR in an attempt to counter the numerous negative reviews. It is one of many examples of total lack of honesty, transparency and disconnection from reality that is now the accepted norm there.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to an entity that actually understands the VAR business and will invest in it.

9. Welcome to Call Center Hell

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent starting wage (if you are a male) and benefits, lots of paid vacation (because if you didn't take a vacation once in great while from this place you'd go INSANE), very nice, down-to-earth call center and help desk staff.

Cons

As stated in other reviews, customer service reps and help desk analysts are over-worked and unappreciated. Management is cold, non-transparent, and offers no positive reinforcement whatsoever to the people doing the dirty work. Analysts are given tools and resources that are inherently flawed or don't work, leading to a prevailing atmosphere of frustration among the folks trying to provide support. Requests to management for better tools, resources, and for more employees to help with the ever-increasing workload fell on deaf ears or was met with resistance or denial. It was always turned around to make us feel like our flawed resources and understaffed teams weren't the problem; WE were the problem. There is hardly ever face-to-face interaction or meetings between staff; everything is done by e-mail, and the tone of management's emails had a way of getting under everyone else's skin.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills, learn how to effectively and efficiently run a call center without working your staff half to death, learn how make EVERYONE- call center, team leads, and management feel like we are all in this together. Call Centers don't have to be hell, but until you do things differently there, nothing is going to change for those poor people.

Great opportunities to grow + develop

I have been working at Paragon Development Systems

Pros

-Sr. leadership is transparent and communicative -Mgmt supports ongoing education and promotions for team members -Holiday party, tech conference and other fun events -Competitive pay + benefits

Cons

-Some team members are too nervous about change, although the company continues to grow steadily -People who have struggled to manage PDS' "growing pains" have left the company

Advice to Management

-Stay transparent and continue to explore fun perks/discounts/events for employee recognition/celebration

Worked there for over 5 years

I worked at Paragon Development Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management was very understanding of outside obligations, and amount of vacation offered was nice.

Cons

No advancement capabilities, you are stuck in the position you are hired to do unless you are extremely lucky and can change departments. Very very very noncompetitive with the pay or salary which is not bridged by the vacation and other benefits.

Advice to Management

Management lacked vision and care about retention of employees. New CEO practically destroyed the company with firing a quarter of it and cutting pay and hours on practically all of the rest. I would say make some sort of compensation system, pay better, get less crappy insurance and the rest will work itself out.

RSS Feed </> Embed