Paragon Security

2.5

Ron ‘R.J.’ France

Roller Coaster

I have been working at Paragon Security

Pros

Great pay and benefits! Initial training was top notch!

Cons

No consistent work schedule. Upper management does not look out for their people.

Dissatisfied

I have been working at Paragon Security full-time

Pros

The training was better than many of the other security companies I have worked for. Staff are unionized so we have some benefits. Pay is consistent with competitors.

Cons

Company will hire the wrong people and reject people with experience. Mostly will hire people that come through their training academy. Raises are non existent and company ignores employee safety (other than lip service). Sites are persistently understaffed with no backup plan so taking time off is near impossible. Employees receive a letter at Christmas time every year that time off will not be allowed until after New Years due to understaffing.

Have stricter hiring criteria and pay to reflect that. Check on the safety of your sites. Let your regular full time employees occasionally enjoy holidays with their families.

Federal Contract Security.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paragon Security (more than 3 years)

Pros

All uniforms and equipment including firearm provided. Work for the most part is pretty steady. Pay is better than traditional security.

Cons

Very weak benefit package. Management not receptive to the needs of officers on post. Discipline very harsh for minor rule infractions.

Better communication news d.

Avoid contract security, go for in-house.

Former Employee - Security Guard in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at Paragon Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You're a security guard at a building, you have a lot of time on your hands and work is not hard or high in volume. However, I had a special building where there are frequent emergencies. The experience was good, I learned to act fast and maintain calm.

Cons

Pay was not satisfactory for the kind of work I was doing. I traveled too far to get to work. No opportunity for advancement. Building management was a mess. Internal politics are everywhere, but it was just too much for me.

Do not ignore legitimate concerns of employees or they will leave, it's that simple. High employee turnover rate can be mitigated.

Lackluster security experience.

Former Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Paragon Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- You get to meet some really great co-workers that will share in the responsibilities.
    - If you get a good site it can be very relaxing filled with good customers.
    - Training classes and instructors are really good. They actually know what they are talking about.
    - Depending on sites you will have a really good supervisor or one that does not care at all.
    - Big company with lots of sites that are generally well managed.

Cons

- You will meet some awful guards that do nothing but cause headaches for you. They don't do patrols, always show up late, argue on how you should do your job, etc. These people have given up on life and are stuck in security.
    - You might get stuck on a bad site and it will be a living hell for you. You will be overworked and have no life outside of work. You will do things that security is not supposed to do and can't say no unless you want to be fired.
    - You get unpaid training that you have to schedule on your off days. Once you do them there is no guarantee of a better site.
    - Pay raises and evaluations are pretty much non existent.
    - Pay for your own uniform when you barely make enough to live by.
    - Benefits are delayed or non existent and union fees are deducted every pay cycle when they don't do anything.
    - All management above your supervisor will not contact you unless they have issues with you from the client that may or may not even exist. There is heavy favoritism from service managers.
    - If you are on call you may not receive any shifts for 2 weeks in order to force you to quit.
    - High turnover and they hire twice as many people to make up for it even though there is not enough jobs for everyone.
    - Taking time off is all dependent on the scheduler and they hate it when you do.
    - 12 hour shifts and odd schedules.

Have some standards when hiring guards and then treat them like human beings and not just a warm body to fill spots.This will increase in higher quality guards and people that will actually care about their responsibilities. Follow up and push for evaluations. At least pretend to care it will make the difference.

excellent company treat you like family

Current Employee - Security Guard in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Paragon Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

managemnt, hr people, and trainers are great. you are treated very good, and respectfully. must better than my last company where was treated like a number. wages good after probation, free training corses, medical/dental benefits, paid sick days

Cons

shift work is hard on the body. rotating shifts can be difficult especially on the weekends

raise pay rates at entry level, although a nice increase is given after probation (and my site has a yearly increase), entry level starting rate is not great

Wage of my time

Current Employee - Securiyu Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Securiyu Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Paragon Security as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-lots of additional training at the beginning

Cons

-I've been working on call for over 2 weeks now, I have yet to work. When I ask for work I am just brushed off by management.
    -They hire too many people 30+ hires a week but only 10 or so jobs available. Good luck gaining experience.

Better hiring process, too much bloat in the company.

WASTE OF TIME TO WORK FOR THEM

Former Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Paragon Security part-time (less than an year)

Pros

training sessions are good, location is good

Cons

management are so fake, they said they are hiring ....but they are picky even though there is a perfect security guard for them

don't fire the wrong person, it will come back and bite you in the behind

Down town Concierge

Current Employee - Concierge in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Concierge in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Paragon Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great sites
    Compotent managers, supervisers and schedulers
    Exelent training
    Union benifits

Cons

Must be able to work any shift
    Working in condos require exelemt customer service
    Long hours sitting
    High responsibility

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Paragon Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your a floater, you get a variety of sites and it's really freshing. Pay is determent on your location, role and responsibilities.

Cons

as with most security jobs, you may be required to work any time during the day so throws off sleeping cycle. pay isnt that great, but definately great for students or seniors looking to maintain a steady cash flow.

offer some compteitive pay