Paragon Sporting Goods

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
2.8

Bruce Blank

Truly my favorite job I've ever had

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's pretty simple; we combine passionate athletes, incomparable product selection, and the most financially capable customers to produce a sporting goods store that is virtually without equal. The energy is incredible, as everyone from the sales associate, to the CEO are excited to be there and talk about what they love with customers who love it just as much. Also, being family owned, and all in one location, it's easy to talk to the decision makers, make suggestions, and get feedback on your input. It's also nice not working for someone who is running the ship from a far off location and only observing a stock price rise and fall (big box retail). I can honestly say I wake up each and every day excited to come to work, and it's been that way going on 5 years now.

Cons

From a new associates perspective, it may seem that some of the ways in which they do business are a bit unorthodox, and may even seem inefficient. Some may question why new ideas may take a long time to come to fruition. This can be frustrating at times, but it's important to realize that careful planning and decision making is what has kept this place around since 1908.

Keep pushing and engaging your associates. You may be surprised what they're capable of!

Lots of work but good people

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods

Pros

They will advance you and fairly quickly if you work hard.

Cons

Lots of work. Low pay and tough holiday seasons.

Work hard and they'll notice

It was a pleasant experience working at this company, however, there were some things I was unhappy about.

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are nice, and you also get a sweet discount on all sporting goods.

Cons

Upper management shows lack of appreciation towards the capabilities of their lower echelon employees. Lack of upward mobility within the company.

What's it like to work at New York's Finest Specialty Store since 1908?

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods

Pros

Being around athletes with different specialties from all over the world, it's inevitable to breed a winning positive energy from the sales floor to senior management. As a middle management executive, it keeps me humble to see marathoners to triathletes conquering one race after another. That energy is what makes me love the atmosphere of Paragon, despite the high quality product assortment.

Cons

Since it's a family owned and operated small business, company benefits must be earned and asked for. Thus, it's not what you would expect in an traditional corporate company.

Communications is key! Make sure management and associates are more in sync to ensure a productive working environment. Also wish there were more office culture - make it fun for people to come to work. Award those who have helped your company succeed.

Management is absolutely terrible!

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are absolutely great! You meet so many amazing people. I worked here just under three years and that is the only fond memory i have of this place. The scheduling begins simple but becomes increasingly harder once staff inevitably gets fired.

Cons

Where to begin? Management is unprofessional and unrealistic with expectations of employees. They never lead by example and often don't know how to do the simplest of task. The CFO Bob Gillman often harasses employees and will nitpick the smallest of irrelevant details. This causes a great deal of stress to the employees and will generate a disconnect amongst the employee and manager who has most likely just reprimanded them because of said irrelevant detail. The turn over rate here is ridiculous. Paragon struggles to keep employees for more than six months. It's a shame a company this big struggles to keep consistent employees.

Salesperson

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sales floor is fun to work on, you can meet some great people that work there also.

Cons

You will not work more than 30 hours unless you have been there for a long time (2-3 years), They would separate my 30 hours amongst 6 days instead of a 4, so I would essentially have no time for myself if you add commuting etc. YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT GET PROMOTED THEY HIRE MANAGEMENT FROM OUTSIDE ALWAYS. Trying to get through college and doing this job was hard working the 30 hours a week, even with the commission is not enough pay. TURNOVER rate is very high I did a great job everyday based on my sales in the department and I was still stressed everyday because I was nervous they were going to cut me any minute. Would not recommend. The CEO sneaks around and wants nobody to know how he looks like even the employees, I would wave and he would give me rude looks often.

Get to know the department that you are managing. Often I would have a manager give me things to do around the department that was time consuming and pointless.. The managers don't even use 10 minutes of their time to even vaguely learn the essentials to a department, let alone be able to manage it.

Easy Job but still..

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easiest job I've had in my life. Awesome staff, lots of different backgrounds and stories blended into one place. Schedule is really flexible and management is more then willing to accommodate if you need a day or 2 off as long as u told them in advance.

Cons

My major issue with paragon is the lack of hours they gave. Most hours you get is about 24-25 because of the high volume of workers so you can always easily be replace. Also not willing to give raises, I work there for a little over a year and was given the run around every time I asked for a pay increase, major part of my decision to leave.

Give more hours and pay your deserving workers.

Tons of planning but no initiatives

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are always the best part of any work environment. The discount is very generous and some of the perks such as ski trips and hikes are nice additions to regular old discounts at a retailer.

Cons

People need to be treated like people and not numbers or pieces on a chess board. Very little opportunity to rise through the ranks or corporate ladder in the company. If you're going to start an new initiative please for the love of GOD see it through. Stop coming up with plans and ideas and then totally ignoring them when a situation happens where you did not forsee a certain out come.

Treat your employees with respect and look at them like human beings. Stop trying to do what other companies are doing such as "Paragon By Appointment" which was clearly an imitation "MACYS by appointment". Look within when new positions or opportunities are available. When you hire new people from outside for jobs where people within are qualified you are only lowering the moral. Everybody needs to be treated the same. Do not give anyone preferential treatment.

Excellent Place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Knowledgable and Friendly Staff - Everyone that works here is kind and outgoing. None of that "mean" or "bossy" type people. As long as you do your job, management is really friendly and helpful.

Flexibility - Hours are part time, some are full time employees. You work and a commission based system so if you work hard, you can get paid just as we as a full time employee.

Cons

Can not complain, for a part-time job it is really one of the best places to be.

Agree that the management is terrible

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods

Pros

Staff level is fun, but management is pretty clueless. They want to pay as little as possible for rather high-end work, so why should anyone stay once they get the experience under there belt?

Cons

Well, one example I know currently is that an employee is quitting, but rather than giving notice, he is just going to bail. That is how disconnected the management is to the staff. They don't make it a comfortable place to be professional.

Listen.