Paragon Sporting Goods

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bruce Blank

Great people, bad salary.

Yoga Expert/Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsPeople there are great to work with, and they are very flexible with schedules.

ConsNeed better managers and they pay poorly.

No Complaints

Web Production Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat workplace with fun managers and coworkers that get the job done. Cool perks since you work at a "candy store" for anyone that is into sports and fashion. Free Hiking, Camping, Snowboarding/Ski trips are always the best gift for all employees.

ConsFluctuation of numbers and panicky bosses with last minute tasks. But don't take it personally all jobs are like that and some can be way worse.

Well informed culture of associates with different walks of life

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

ProsHands on experience in your said field of expertise, plenty of unique coworkers and well designed programs to keep employees involved.

ConsDoesn't promote from within as often as they should, the building could use a fundamental renovation and include an elevator.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild on what makes them unique, and make changes to the building to update Paragon to join their already effective social media campaigning and consumer relations in the future.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sweatshop Work

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are not too many pros with this company but a decent one would be the people that work there are very nice. The sad part about that is seeing them being abused for cheap wages and their labor.

ConsSweatshop conditions with a big abuse on labor. Depends on worker to learn all aspects of different jobs with no opportunities for improvement or a better position. Big focus on favoritism. Shows minimal recognition for a job well done, especially for the Web Department which makes the company over 40 grand a day. Employment costs reach about 180 dollars DAILY, the profit margin on the sale of products and cost of labor is marginal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive young ambitious students he opportunity to move up in the company don't keep employees stagnate in one position.

Annoyingly upsetting

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsThere were only a few things about working at paragon sports . The discount, your fellow co workers, and the people . Meeting people from all parts of the world was the best .

ConsSome downsides of paragon are they're management . There's no real sense of management, it's as if the head cashiers are telling cashiers what to do be cause they're afraid of losing their jobs . They treat the cashiers as I theyre so disposable and paragon treats their employees as if they're theives . No trust between managers and workers . There's just a handful of things wrong with the operations of paragon.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your pos's , treat cashiers as if they aren't disposable , allow room for growth within the company for employees , if they feel they have the skills and are capable of showing out in another department then give them the chance.

Disorganized Horrible Management Does Not Care For Its Employees

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat gear, ok discount and sports perks

Cons- you will work with the dumbest, most disorganized management
- every boss has at least 3 other bosses, who all will tell you different things
- management does not care for their employees, and will schedule you for 37 hours, but refuse to make you full-time and thus pay you benefits
- the building is completely unsafe and falling apart. 311 needs to be alerted
- extremely high turnover rate
- management considers you a bad employee if you are late more than 5 times, even if over a minute. Complete disregard that the MTA is not always on point
- One drunk old guy walks around and sends people home over having their shirt untucked

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Clean up the building. Fire all the managers and hire sports enthusiasts from within. RETIRE COO, because all he does is scold people on the sales floor for non-relevant reasons to their superiors, and would NEVER address an associate! He is disrespectful and does not not exemplify what the company says it stands for.

Sales

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time

ProsYou get paid weekly and most of the staff is very nice.

ConsBuilding is old, dirty, and minimal opportunity for growth. Can be a bit demanding and has high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to you employees skills

Poor Management...

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

ProsGood discount, friendly co-workers, great products... that's about it.

ConsPoorly managed store, high turnover rate, building is very old and looks like its about to collapse at any minute, customers can be annoying, difficult to obtain a full-time position, and AVOID being late.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor those who work part-time, please give them either more hours or less days. No one wants to work four to five times a week for only 25 hours. Also please don't fire the good managers.

It is what it is.. and.....Don't be late!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy going job ...great sales associates to talk to...nothing more than that.

ConsManagement are losers except a few...they are so fearful of losing their jobs that they become paranoid. Their anxiety affects you eventually. DO NOT BE LATE.. PARAGON WILL FIRE YOU IF THEY SEE A PATTERN OF LATENESS......Very high turn over rate for sales associates and management is crapping their pants from upper management who are anxious to fire and refresh lower management every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees 8 hour shifts per day. Employees do not want to work under 30 hours a week for 5 days a week... Do you really think someone wants to work 5 days a week for 30 hours? c'mon....give employees 8 hour shifts and maybe one shift a week for only 5 or 6 hours. I'd rather come in for 3 days a week and work 8 hours each day... every sales associate says this all the time!! people do not want to live at paragon for 10 bucks an hour for 30 hours a week to work 5 days a week... do you get it upper management? listen to your senior sales staff..they know far better than your lower management......just my opinion...which is shared by almost every sales associate!!!

Don't waste your time

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paragon Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discounts, central location. That is about it, not a very positive working environment.

ConsMicro management. Ridiculously high turnover rate, owners love firing people on the spot.

Worked for Paragon Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paragon Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paragon Sporting Goods CEO Bruce Blank. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Paragon Sporting Goods employees.