Parallel HR

www.parallelhr.com

Parallel HR Reviews

Michael Dash

If you want to make money in recruiting, this is a good place to do it.

I have been working at Parallel HR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in the recruiting industry for over 5 years and for Parallel HR for more than 2. I have never worked with a better sales staff and had more access to tools to make me successful than with Parallel.
     - A sales team that isn't afraid to walk away from "bad" or "un-fill-able" jobs. They don't pad the sheet with tons of jobs that they don't have direct contact with managers on....or large vendor management systems where you are competing against 20 other companies.
     - Training is excellent. All companies have the mentality of "get on the phone"....but few actually train recruiters on technique (more than just handing out a phone and a script) as well as they do. There is access to unlimited training resources online, mentors in the company, and "how to" documents in the archives....along with books on sales and recruiting that are available free of charge to all interested.
     - Tools. They provide access to dice, monster, careerbuilder, ladders...all the typical's, but also new tools that very few other recruiting companies are aware of. Tools that find resumes and email addresses for hidden profiles on Linkedin, Indeed, and many other "non" traditional boards and databases.
     - Team mentality. There is no team of recruiters or sales people cannibalizing each other. People there respect each other and don't steal candidates or clients based on archaic "ownership" policies. If you establish and continue the relationship, you make the money.
     - Flexibility. There isn't really a come and go as you please ability hear like in some smaller companies, but I've rarely run in to occasions when I couldn't leave the office for family or other reasons and have to be nervous about a lecture or warning. If you work your hours and then some, you can make sure work/life balance is achieved.
     - Work hard, play hard. Parallel has "happy hours" where the teams have done everything from baseball games, bowling, drinks and hanging out, poker nights, to community service to help the less fortunate. They also have tons of rewards and contests in the office to reward extra effort.
     - Ability to earn here is better than anywhere else I've ever worked. While commissions aren't the highest, neither is base pay, opportunity to close deals (both perm and contract) are plentiful. If you work hard, you will make money here!

Cons

As with any company in recruiting, there are challenges:
     - Turnover. Turnover is high at the junior end of recruiters and sales. This is common and has been the case with every company I've ever worked with in the industry. Most Sr people have been there over 4 years...which is a good sign of success breeding success. Most of the turnover was with junior people who either left the industry, or returned to the companies they initially left.
     - Process. Process can be heavy handed at times. As the company has grown, some of the processes are focused more on training junior recruiters, rather than allowing sr. recruiters to run their own business successfully. The changes in process seem to ebb and flow a bit with hiring....ups and downs. Probably should be expected in a global company with 3+ offices and remote workers as well.
     - Strong personalities. The company is full of strong personalities. This is good and bad. The owner, managers, and line recruiters and sales are very diverse in background. This contributes to an atmosphere of trying to blend different cultures and backgrounds....that is a huge positive in my book. This is also (regardless of title) a SALES role. I've never seen successful sales people who weren't afraid to disagree or voice strong opinions. This is true of the owner, managers, sales people, recruiters, and even the office manager. Arguments happen, people disagree, cooler heads prevail, then everyone moves on and makes money.
     - Roles here are very distinct and separated. Sales people deal with clients, Recruiters deal with candidates. There is very little thought of changing that or implementing a "full desk" type of recruiting. That can be difficult for more Sr. Recruiters who are accustomed to both sales and recruiting....but more beneficial for junior recruiters who don't want to interact with clients.

Be careful of growth. Sometimes it creates more problems that it solves. Grow slowly and carefully. Be open-minded to more flexibility or determined roles within the company, and let your best people continue to be successful, rather than bogging them down in processes designed to help less senior recruiters and sales people.

Bad Process + Poor Structure + Horrible Leadership + Strained Client Relationships = Parallel HR Solutions, Inc.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Murray, UT

I worked at Parallel HR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unfortunately, there are few pros to speak of. A few years ago, when the original CEO was still here, this place was awesome. Everything was clicking and we were able to grow by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, once she departed, this place has fallen off of a cliff.

The new CEO is the number one reason why Parallel has become a terrible place to work and their client satisfaction is at rock bottom.

Cons

First, the biggest issue is the CEO. He is absolutely the wrong person for this position. He is, simply put, a terrible leader and even worse manager. He is in way over his head. He somehow forgets that he is the CEO and operates as if he is an account manager. He lacks the skill/ability to effectively close deals, develop/maintain relationships or strategically develop new business.

The CEO is childish, selfish, emotional, immature, and is in major need of all the credit and attention. He is cold and speaks down to his employees. When he is incorrect about something he gets frustrated and yells/screams like a child. Then he hides behind the "you need to respect me" defense and continues believing that the only way to achieve success if by following his incorrect business practices.

He has allowed for an overbearing process to be built upon a broken corporate structure to be implemented. This exemplifies his lack of capabilities as a CEO. He has paralyzed this company. Nothing gets done as there are 20 useless meetings a week. You are forced to write essays in the database for data analysis. The entrepreneurial spirit of staffing has been extinguished at Parallel HR.

The client constantly complain about the quality of service from Parallel. The few relationships that the CEO does have, are poor at best. The CEO has poisoned the culture to the point where turnover has been rampant for the past few years. Couple that will one of the worst compensation packages in the industry, Parallel cannot even secure its own employee base, none the less assist a client with theirs.

Lies, manipulation and the lack of loyalty are all present at Parallel HR. CEO is not a man of his word and will often try to "screw" an employee on their compensation or commission package by twisting words around and failing to recall previously agreed upon terms. It is so undesirable to report directly to the CEO, that all of the recruiting managers have stepped down to just be recruiters, leaving a major leadership gap in the middle ranks.

This agency has major issues with how it operates. Besides the fact that you are micromanaged to the worst degree possible, the "leaders" of this place have no idea of how to be successful in the staffing industry. Client control and leverage do not exist so you can forget any privilege. Quality is a term that is non-existent.

There are many more issues and challenges to working at Parallel HR. This is an accurate assessment of what Parallel is really like and this spans across an/all of their locations.

This place has fallen so low that i am not sure there is a whole lot that can be done to fix this place. If the fish rots from the head down, the only way to stop the rot is to cut off the head. Unfortunately, MR. CEO and his ego will never understand what is going on under his command. Sometimes its impossible to see outside of the bubble that you are in!

Horrible Upper Management

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Parallel HR full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great sales team, good clients, aggressively growing. There are always requisitions that need to be filled. It's probably one of the few places I've worked where the number of open requisitions far exceed the number of recruiters needed. So they have always had a great sales team that are able to get new clients.

Cons

High turnover. As stated in other reviews, upper management is incredibly hard to work with. You are treated like a child with weekly conference calls that teach you nothing. The President of the company controls everything, including HR. So there are no real policies here, no department to protect you. It's also insanely metrics based as all of your calls and emails are logged and you will get a scolding if you are not making the appropriate number of submittals per week. Though this seems rather normal for a recruiting firm, this is a small shop. It cannot be metrics based when the teams and structure are not laid out yet. There is zero team work and zero hierarchy. If you get an offer here they will lowball you and making a placement is the same as not making one. They have been struggling for the past year to get anyone to stay with them for longer than three months. There's a reason for that! Here's another thing, everyone recruits in their own way, don't cramp their style with metrics reports. I've also been told they prefer if you make more submittals rather than make a placement because that way they get the keep the client around. Are you kidding me? In terms of company culture, there is none. If anyone has a complaint or tries to quit, upper management immediately bad mouths that employee, even if they were the ones making all the placements. I've seen it twice since I've been there. That kind of environment is toxic. It's not a wonder why so many people leave. If one of your heavy hitters quits, the appropriate response is to thank them for all their hard work and wish them good luck, have a farewell party. Don't lower morale even more by treating your employees with no respect.

Hire an HR team so upper management, namely the President, can actually abide by the rules of business instead of making things up out of thin air.

Hopelessly Wasted time

I worked at Parallel HR full-time

Pros

good clients
    some decent people in the middle ranks

Cons

upper management is horrible and clueless. Maybe the worst I have ever seen. There are some good people there but they have no power. I read a few of the reviews and I think the positive ones are written mostly by people with a gun to their head or by the CEO himself. "extreme success"? probably written by Michael Dash, CEO and imperial dictator of Parallel HR.

that's the hopeless part, i don't think there is anything anyone can do to change the management problems over there. I have a feeling my review will cause a flurry of positive reviews forced on a few people who have been there for a few weeks or months and still have hope. Note to those people. "It won't end well".

Very poor leadership at the top - a very disorganized, toxic environment

Current Employee - Recruiter in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Murray, UT

I have been working at Parallel HR full-time

Pros

My direct manager was a pleasure to work with. Co-workers seemed to be doing their best to stay positive in a poor environment.

Pretty big name clients.

Cons

The President of the company runs his business as if it's a cut-throat sales environment. That would be fine if you ever knew where you stood with him. Direct managers were great at being a resource and being willing to help and communicate. However, when it comes down to it, all that matters is numbers to Mr Dash. If you're not a pretty girl or killing it in the numbers field, he will not be impressed with your work.

How he measures numbers is based on a quantity NOT quality basis. Doesn't matter if you have the same amount of hires, what matters is how many submittals you have.

The base pay is low, which is fine because it is (in essence) a sales job, however, the comission structure is unfair. You can eventually earn a fair percentage, but it takes a LONG time to establish that and it's still not where it should be.

When I left Parallel HR, I was convinced I was done with recruiting. I thought I hated it. Turns out I love what I do, I just hated to toxic environment that I was working in.

Give employees proper time to be succesful. Your little perks are not enough to make up for a poor environment. Treat people well and you'll get better results.

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I have been working at Parallel HR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team work, amazing operations team, understandable with schedule conflicts, many additional perks to the job!

Cons

I have no cons to my employment. I appreciate the opportunity to work, and grow in this office.

Very poor leadership structure. Good clients but no appreciation of employees. Pretty toxic work environment.

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Parallel HR

Pros

Hands-off approach to recruiting. Many firms have very specific "call times" or measuring minutes, kill all social media, etc. ParallelHR is mostly hands-off with these things.

Cons

Very poor leadership structure. Their is no HR or employee relations. The work environment is pretty hostile with the founders / partners being unresponsive to complaints. For a sales position (which is what recruiting is), the place is mostly dead quiet with little to no interaction.

The compensation structure versus other firms is between 2x to 4x lower then other permanent placement staffing firms (this means thousands of dollars in commission difference. ParallelHR starts you at 5% of revenues. Research average compensation in recruiting as it is nearly impossible with the business structure of ParallelHR to even come close to $60,000 in total compensation.

The company was beginning to outsource its recruiting efforts, opening up an Indian office.

Training consists of 1-2 hours on a CRM system and a few phone calls. Ongoing training and knowledge sharing was starting to get better.

Their is no growth opportunity within the firm. This is a big selling point to new employees. You cannot grow a business when you churn through 50% of the workforce every year.

As far as the positive review, "You eat what you kill" is a term used by the partner Megan McMillan so be wary of the company.

Their is no reason to not seek out alternate Permanent Placement firms..

Establish employee relations and be very up front about work environment, compensation and the actual growth opportunities.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Parallel HR

Pros

I would not recommend working at Parallel HR Solutions. It is a difficult work environment with little to no collaboration or communication from upper management.

Cons

While working at Parallel HR Solutions there was a lack of communication, as well as perceived competition between colleagues. There was little to no praise or encouragement for achievements. Many things that I deemed unethical came to light as well.

There is very low morale among your team, and obvious preferences were made. The lack of encouragement made self-motivation almost impossible. There was an obvious disconnect from leadership on mode of action that made the atmosphere disjointed and confusing, as processes and procedures were changed on a weekly basis.

One of the best companies I've worked for

Former Employee - Various Recruitment Roles
    Former Employee - Various Recruitment Roles

I worked at Parallel HR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Parallel HR in a variety of capacities over several years and found my tenure to be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding. While I moved on due to personal reasons, I look back on my time at PHR as a challenging and financially lucrative position. The company has one of the best sales teams I've encountered and I believe the CEO has done a fantastic job building a dynamic business development group. My team NEVER had a shortage of positions to work. In fact, we were typically overwhelmed with a high quality, easy-to-fill req load. If you recruit even moderately well, you can easily have success with PHR.

The CEO and VP have done a stellar job organizing the company and it's able to operate flexibly and efficiently. Recruiters are given autonomy to fill their positions and there isn't a lot of micro management.

I find it hard to believe some of the previous reviewers who claim PHR to be such a rough place to work. As with ANY job, you have to perform what's expected of you. Upon hiring, the expectations are very clear and there is no mystery regarding the job. If you repeatedly make errors, can't source, or don't make any placements ( in a reasonable amount of time) then of course it's not going to work out. Recruiters that have difficulty are given extra attention, training and hand-holding for a fair amount of time. PHR is not a cut a throat agency and much is done for those whom are struggling.

Cons

PHR is growing and with that comes growing pains. Processes change from time-to-time and for some, change can be difficult. I really can't say anything bad about my time at PHR. I was given a lot of flexibility, made a lot of money on placements, and had a great working relationship with the upper management.

The base pay is a little low from what I've seen.It might be easier to lure top recruiters to the company by offering higher base pays. In my opinion, its better to have two high performance recruiters at a base of 50 or 60 than 4 mediocre ones at 30 or 40K. However, the amount of money that can be made in commissions is outstanding. Also, the compensation structure and bonus structure was recently changed that really adds a lot of additional compensation reward depending on performance. Even with a lower base pay, a top recruiter could easily surpass six figures at PHR.

I think the CEO is incredibly smart and is running his organization with a lot of integrity. I expect PHR to be a huge force in the staffing industry in the next several years. Great job!

Extreme Success

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at Parallel HR

Pros

ParallelHR gives their employees the freedom to work and recruit in a very independent manner. If you are self-driven and don't need to be micro-managed, you wil go far with this company and thoroughly enjoy the work environment. There is not limit to your success in this role if you are good at what you do. As with any small, but growing company it is a somewhat flat organization for titles, but upper management continues to dedicate resources to growth internationally. As with any relatively young and growing company, some things they try don't always work, and some work great, and they continually looking at new ways to improve company and team structure to make employees most successful.

Cons

For people who require step by step instruction and continual reassurances, ParallelHR is probably not the best place for you.