Parallels

Birger Steen

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at Parallels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has a lot of great ideas and products. The pay could be better but the benefits are very good compared to a lot of other local companies I've worked at. Everybody here seems to get along well. I love coming to work every day. Most people I work with feel the same way.

ConsThe senior management here is good but they don't communicate well to those in the roles beneath them. There is clearly a double standard when it comes to corporate rules and so forth. Some have to follow them and some don't (depends on where you live and how long you've been around) and that really makes it rough on morale from time to time. Hard to get a raise in pay beyond just a simple cost of living adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to share information on a more regular structured basis with everybody. It is easy to forget how a particular role fits into the overall big picture.

Ambiguous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Parallels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people that are great people

ConsSpooky russian mess that is hard to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the novosibirsk office

Convoluted industry, but good blend of personalities

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Parallels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat schedule flexibility, work remotely, casual environment

ConsMany random projects/tasks that can derail tight timelines

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Parallels HQ

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Parallels full-time for more than a year

ProsVery cool technology for building cloud based solutions for telcos and hosters. Some very nice folks that work there. Pay and benefits are good.

ConsCompany appears to be run by Russian based dev and engineering teams that don't appear to understand how to do business with US based customers. They expect US based folks to attend meetings with Russia at very odd times. The engineering teams appear to lack common engineering criteria on developing software. Which can make the product very hard to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish common engineering criteria for all products. Understand the US market and the bar that is needed to sell software to US based customers.

Industry leading company that is on the cutting edge of the cloud shift

I have been working at Parallels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products that are cutting edge and widely regarded.
Growing fast and changing the way Hosters and Telcos bring cloud services to customers.
Great career development because you get close to customers and direct business changing work.
Multi-national and global culture.
Great benefits in US!

ConsRapid change and not the right place to be if you want stability or big company resources
Cultural issues internally can be more challenging than they need to be

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire leaders with maturity and public company experience

Great place to work and getting better every day!

Renton, WA

I have been working at Parallels full-time

ProsVery motivated employees who are focusing on making positive changes.
International presence makes the culture interesting and allows lots of learning.
Very fast paced and in high growth mode.
Fun environment and great people!

ConsThere is some inexperience in management, but I believe this is part of growing pains. The company has made HUGE strides over the last few years and continues to keep getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees and continue to focus on Talent Management.

Trying hard to become a professional company but still hampered by immature, arrogant and autocratic Russian leadership

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Parallels full-time for more than a year

ProsPositioned well within an explosive industry segment of cloud services brokerage, Good US sales org that is capitalizing on the hype with a sense that the house of cards may collapse

Consunprofessional management/leadership if its Russians you are reporting into; highly diluted stock structure so despite pre-IPO hype the options don't have much upside, lack of customer focus

Good place to work, but definitely has its "growing pains."

I have been working at Parallels

ProsEmployees are provided a high degree of autonomy in their jobs. Flexible work schedule and ability to work from home. You are trusted with managing your own work load in a manner that suits you.

Still growing, so most positions are cross-functional and allow you to work on a broad range of projects. Seems to be a lot of opportunities for growth and promotion.

Most staff are former Microsoft employees, so you are working with individuals who have a high degree of industry experience and knowledge.

ConsThere are disconnects between departments and it's hard to determine who does what.There seems to be a lack of ownership and sometimes you have to harass people for a response.

Everything must go through executive management for approval, which creates a bottleneck effect and slows down the process for action items, particularly when quick turnaround is required.

The travel and expense management definitely needs to be improved. Individuals are financially responsible for their own expenses until reimbursement (no corporate cards). Having to do POs for every expense/invoice is slow, tedious, and the AP department does not submit payments in a timely manner so you have angry vendors. Egencia does not provide pricing for half the flights or hotels it shows as available, so you have to go back a few times to check different pricing to stay within the travel policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementParallels is large enough that a organizational restructure is necessary so that only pertinent action items need to go through executive management. VP level should have ability to approve standard action items.

Better software/process is needed for travel, expense, and invoice management. This is painful.

Lifer, will work until my duties are no longer required.

Sales Account Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Parallels

Pros+ Competent employees, challenging technologies and always evolving environment. We are building something here.

ConsAs an evolving company we are a bit weak on internal standardization of our tools used to track clients and manage the data - details out to our partnerships, license schedules to resellers and awareness as a brand name is a bit weak but growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are growing and evolving, I'm sure the challenges will become check-offs in the future.

Parallels is an exciting environment!

I have been working at Parallels

Prosgrowing and expanding industry with so much possibility and opportunity.
fast paced environment.
high energy
competitive compensation
booming industry
amazing opportunity

Conscommuting in can be challenging given that the headquarters are in Renton but it is manageable.

Worked for Parallels? Contribute to the Community!

Parallels Videos

Parallels – Why Work for Us?

About Parallels Parallels® is a global leader in hosting and cloud services enablement and cross-platform solutions. Parallels began operations in 2000 and has developed into a fast-growing software company with more… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Parallels reviews and ratings in Renton, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Parallels CEO Birger Steen. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Parallels employees.