Paramount Hospitality Management

Updated April 14, 2015
10 reviews filtered by
2.2
Marco Manzie

1. Hospitality with a capital 'H'

I have been working at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

Floridays is a smaller property so you get to learn a lot and wear many hats.
    I worked for some of the big corporate hotel companies and much prefer a smaller property that you have more varied experiences.

They have a passion for excellent Guest Service and it shows the minute you walk through the door. Two of the companies resorts are in the top 10 in Orlando on Trip Advisor and this is largely contributed to the excellent Guest Service training they receive and the focus on Hospitality all over the resorts.
    The company is positioned for growth and likes to promote within. Those that are loyal and hard working will get promoted.
    This company has some very seasoned and talented managers and Directors. They all exhibit Hospitality with a capital 'H' and this spreads to the line level staff.

I had several other offers when I was offered this position but the General Manager, President and HR Director were so real and so passionate that I knew this was the place for me.

Cons

We have no corporate office so office and meeting space is at a premium.
    Whilst the medical benefit plans are very rich there was a substantial price increase this year which many of the team have felt in the wallet! I do hope they will revisit the PTO/ vacation policy and add a 401K in the future.
    I do miss having a 401K and feeling like I am contributing to my retirement. To be honest this is the first company have ever worked for that doesn't have one.

Advice to Management

The General Manager at Floridays should keep doing what she is doing. This resort is making great headway and after the renovations planned for the fall this resort will be a force to be reckoned with! Right now the Guest Service is on point but the product will be so much better after renovations.

The President of Paramount Hospitality Management has a genuine passion for Hospitality, desire to do things the right way and has decades of experience but doesn't always go about things the right way.
    Revisit the benefits plan and you will see increased morale.
    The 'service profit chain' needs to be implemented here to yield even greater results.

Run Far Far away!

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

The only pro is that you learn a lot.

Cons

Everything. The benefits are terrible. PHM offers no 401K, No holidays (Not even if you're working on the corporate side!!) No sick Days, NOTHING! When you become ill you have to sacrifice one of your PTO days that you're PROBABLY trying to save to use for a Holiday. The whole atmosphere of this company is hostile. If you slip in any way- consider yourself gone, they have no compassion. You are hired to work 9 to 6 but if you are not in by 8:30am, you'll get a phone call telling you to straighten up. IF you're hired on at Floridays, you will have management breathing down your neck. Just DON'T DO IT! You will be miserable.

Advice to Management

Positive Reinforcement is so much better than always talking down to your employees. Consider working on your benefits as well. ALLOW Holidays or at least offer an incentive for working on the holiday. The president of the company should be more personable to and treat his employees better. Screaming at them or talking to them like they are uneducated is NOT the way to keep employees on board.

3. Stressful.

Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain a lot of experience because the company is always under staffed. Turnover is high and that's why there's always an opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Offer less benefits than any company I've worked for in the past. Company expects employees to work 50 hours minimum with no flexibility. No paid holidays, employees have to use their paid days off for holidays and you do not earn a lot. Vacation time is earned after a year. Be warned, if you're hired and you have not earned anytime off, then you will be working. The president is on property often and his arrival is dreaded.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive pay and incentives to employees to match the level of performance expected of the staff.

5. Great company that spends time developing their employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Paramount Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am pretty happy with this company. PHM is still very young when compared to some of their competition so there is still room for improvement in some areas but overall, this really is a good company. I trust once they grow, more benefits will follow. They know what they want and they know exactly how to get it. They recognize and reward hard work. The president of the company does not live locally but he is here almost every week and knows the names of all the employees! He is very involved. I have been with the company for a year and a half now and I seen several people get promoted and some of them twice within a year. They put in a lot of work developing their team members and are in constant search on new properties to expand their portfolio. When they do acquire new properties, they promote from within. Some people will claim there is favoritism but the truth is they are only recognizing those that are willing to work hard and get results. That being said, they are also not afraid to terminate team members that are not meeting expectations. Work hard and you’ll be fine.

Cons

The only downside to the company is, because it is small, you have to wait for someone to leave before you can get promoted. There is no 401K and no paid holidays but they do offer medical benefits including dental, vision, and life which is really cheap and great coverage! The PTO and vacation time is minimal but does get better the longer you are with the company

Advice to Management

The only downside is the lack of holiday incentives. I do not like having to save my pto for Christmas or Thanksgiving. It would be nice for at least SOME holidays to be paid. It does not have to be for all of them. I think management could also benefit from listening to the advice of others. Sometimes the decisions upper management makes are not great and it become relevant down the line. A 401K plan would also be great.

6. Big Mistake. Please take my advice and stay far away.

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

The company is small and very unorganized. Management positions are always open which should be a telling sign that something is terribly wrong. If you don't bow down to the six or seven individuals who have been with the company since it opened you will be targeted for termination.

Cons

Dirty upper management and very shady. Only take this job if you are desperate for money. Miserable environment and happy I am no longer with this company. Oh and watch out for human resources.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training and leadership for employees.

Plenty of cross training, too much nepotism

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With it being a small company that honestly at times didn't know what it was doing there were plenty of opportunities for training in other departments. Also, the line level staff is often empowered by management to take guests concerns into their own hands without having to always bring in a manager.

Cons

Nepotism, nepotism, nepotism! The company's president had both his children work there as well as other family members.

Another Warning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well manicured grounds, timeshare/Hotel facilities are accommodating, Developers and ownership are present and appreciative of the employees.

Cons

PHM is a great stepping stone to those who are currently unemployed and looking for a while. A long term commitment, unless you work well in a extremely politically environment, is unlikely. The upper management structure of the company is complicated. The president/owner of the company is absent 4 days of the week and because of this absence manages through fear and intimidation as to scare resort management into loyalty. You will never get a sense of belonging as there always is the threat of termination and those professionals in the industry that prove their success through hard work and dedication will need to learn to lie and point fingers to be successful. There is a lack of camaraderie and the feeling of family as you dont know who is on your side or reporting back to company ownership. The "spy theory" is highly regarded by those in charge and rewarded. Camera surveillance is excessive in work areas and used to monitor management and employees remotely. Very uncomfortable at times. If you are a career professional looking to advance, this is not the place. If you portray the qualities described in this passage you will be highly successful.

Advice to Management

The way the company is run suits the management individuals that have been there long term. PHM is a niche for those who's management style have not been successful in companies that consider themselves legally obligated and employee driven. I cannot give any advice. The company has a purpose and style that suits certain individuals. As they continue to hire people with the same moral purpose they will continue to be successful.

Warning!

I have been working at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

Nice grounds and well maintained properties.

Cons

In the time that I have worked here, we have gone through managers faster than you can learn their names. No one that has worked in a professional corporate hotel environment in the past wants to work for this company. Other very talented managers have been fired on a whim because they demanded a professional work environment. As a manager, they expect that you should abandon your family and not have any quality of life, working over twelve hours six (or even seven) days per week. Anyone with ANY knowledge of how to run a company knows that burning out your managers is not productive. Certain managers have been hired as favors to the President's friends or family and are paid much more than the rest of the managers. Even the Presidents son and daughter were given jobs here and preference in everything. There is a different standard for these "protected" managers, and while being paid more than everyone, they work less and are not held accountable. In the past, one was hired while being on probation for assault with a deadly weapon. This should give you a good idea of the professionalism here. The GM of one of their resorts only communicates by email, and does so in a condesending, sarcastic way, and no one respects him. You are hired to manage an area, and then not allowed to make any decisions and are constantly told your hard work is not good enough. You walk around on eggshells because you know you can be fired for anything, and you see it happen all the time. This place is like a revolving door. Anyone who works here would never recommend any of their friends in the industry to take a job here. There is no consistency and rules change day by day at the pleasure of the president of the company. If you are looking at this company, you have been warned. I am not at all exaggerating, I wish I was.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, provide for a quality of life, let people do the job you hired them for. Be consistent with hiring, discipline, firing and salaries and stop hiring relatives and unqualified people as favors. Respect your manager's experience because there IS more than one way to do things, and you might find that these people bring good ideas from their past experience. You could provide a more positive work environment by hiring GM's that are respectful and professional. You might be able to keep good people (and get more management contracts) if you ran the company more professionally.

10. satisfactor

I have been working at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

beautiful property, well maintained and pleasant guest base

Cons

GM lack of management style. No communication other than emails,

Not worth it.

I worked at Paramount Hospitality Management

Pros

It is a small company so there is room to make changes without red tape. The property is well maintained and the room product is very nice.

Cons

Upper management and leadership is incompetent, including the person in charge of the entire property. They do whatever they want and fire people without any warning. Micro management runs rampant and they do not let you do your job. Promotions are given not by merit, but are given to the friends and family of the President of the company. None of the leadership of this company are professional whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Establish proper policies and procedures and stick to them. Tell the President to keep his nose out of the daily operations. Stop micro managing everyone and let them do their job.