Paramount's Kings Island

www.visitkingsisland.com

Paramount's Kings Island Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Paramount's Kings Island – Mason – “Filling up the water tank on the train”

Great First Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was my first job and I stayed with the company for three summers. If you work hard, it's easy to get promoted and this made it easy to be promoted at future jobs since I already had management experience. It is almost always full time so expect at least 40 hours per week. Because of the hours worked, paychecks are good for a 16, 17, 18 year old.

ConsIt can be a game of favorites- if you're friends with the boss it's likely you will be promoted. If you don't want it to consume your summer- this may not be the job for you. I worked in food and there are some locations that have no air conditioning and require that you stand your entire shift with only one thirty minute break.

Great job for high school aged people

Games Associate (Former Employee)

ProsVery flexible with scheduling. I could easily request days off since they have so many other employees. Also, you get 40 hrs per week which is nice. Free Kings Island pass when you aren't working. For every year that you return, your wage goes up about .10 I believe. It is a fun work environment since everyone is about the same age. I met a lot of friends that I still have today.

ConsI worked in Games and it was very hot in the sun with little to no relief. You have to stand the entire time (sometimes 4 hours at a time without a break). They are very strict about being outgoing on a microphone to attract guests which can be somewhat obnoxious.

My favorite job that I have ever had!

Train Engineer (Former Employee) Mason, OH

ProsI was able to better my organization skills by helping out my supervisor with creating schedules and other tasks like that. The people that I worked with were absolutely fantastic. The values that Kings Island has for their employees are very good and they make sure that everyone is striving to keep those values at all times. If there was ever a question about what to do, someone was always willing to help.

ConsThe only con to this job was that it got very hot.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok job until your 18

Park Services Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are nice
    You make a lot of friends
    Earn a lot of money

ConsHours are outrageous for a 17 year it's around 40 hours, so not that bad. However once you hit 18. They try to schedule you for as close to 70 hours as possible. This job will consume your summer. You are not allowed to stand or sit. You can only walk in the hot sun, and you only have one break. Zero flexibility in schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease only give all day shifts as an option. Also please try to make schedules around 40 hours.

Rides Operator

Rides Operator (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people you work with are upbeat and fun.

ConsThe work gets very repetitive.

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun place to work, lots of interaction with people, co-workers are nice, lots of young people working their first job, trying to make a good impression

Cons10+ hour shifts without breaks, standing in the sun for hours on end, not getting breaks, not feeling like management cares if you survive out there, hard, physical labor

Management is running straight to the ground

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Kings Mills, OH

ProsOK job for high school students, relatively flexible scheduling, opportunity to work with peers, good year-to-year raises, lots of hours available seasonally

ConsMost of the management team has no other workplace experience, many managers have a problem picking favorites and ignoring those that are not on that list, few opportunities for transfer/promotion, impersonal feel from upper-management and HR

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that many of your employees may just be "kids" but they are humans too and deserve to be treated that way. Look out for promotions that are happening strictly because someone is friends with the right people.

Best First Time Job

Cash Control Teller (Former Employee) Mason, OH

ProsYou become really close to your co-workers, spending so much time in close proximity they become like an extended family. In many of the departments there are plenty of opportunities to move up to Team Leader and Supervisor positions if you are a hard worker. Free park admission and parking are also a plus.

ConsScheduling can be difficult. You do spend your entire summer at the park. The joke is that KI is your life in the summer.

Opportunity to Grow

Rides Operator (Current Employee) Mason, OH

ProsMake friends for life, Free admission to all Cedar Fair parks, behind the scenes look at the rides and amusement park itself, a lot of opportunities for learning and promotion. If a position doesn't work out, they will work with you so that you are successful. If you wanna do the work (which isn't that difficult, just fast-paced and a little emotional) you will get the hours :)

ConsGuests really need to be recorded to see how they act and how immature/unintelligent they are at the park. We all know you're there to have fun and let loose, but sometimes we just stand there shaking our heads :p It is long hours, but it's a great payoff and I promise if you just go in everyday with a positive attitude, you'll have the most fun :)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hint from so other big, successful businesses; work more closely with the associates. We all come from the same basic beginnings, but over time, management begins to get a little condescending and pretentious and forget what it is to actually be out there with the people all day instead of behind a desk with a lot of paperwork. Just show a greater respect to those who lay the ground work.

So much fun!

Seasonal Food Department Area Manager (Former Employee) Mason, OH

ProsOpportunities for advancement. Fun management. Given a ton of responsibility. Challenging. Never boring. Management trust and has confidence that you can do your job. Fast-paced crazy busy environment. Diverse workforce. Decent pay especially as you work your way up the ladder. Great people and lifelong friends.

ConsLongs work days and working here can consume your summer BUT the experience and things you'll learn are well worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part the management was responsive to employee's concerns and had sound judgement.

Worked for Paramount's Kings Island? Contribute to the Community!