Parata Systems Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

2.8

Tom Rhoads

Once good company going downhill

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Parata Systems as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

People are awesome. Very easy to work with.

Cons

Layoffs because contracts not secured. Business people need to do better.

Low quality work environment

I worked at Parata Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers , Some company organized functions,

Cons

Poor management, Not enough resources, High Turn rate,

Stop attempting to save money with cheap products and poor software.

Was once a great company

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time

Pros

Coworkers seem to be for the most part team oriented

Cons

Benefits not quite what they used to be, work stress always increasing, larger area of coverage

Don't forget what it used to be like to work here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big Problems, no organization, out of date, poor financial outlook due to slumping sales

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally people are easy to work with and willing to help. You just have to be willing to work on complete nonsense with a straight face.

Cons

Management is terrible. Most upper management are married, related, or go to church together. Middle management is extremely risk adverse which stifles innovation and progress. Their core products are out of date and probably dangerous to people who use them daily(pill dust blown into the room). They have had 3 layoffs in 8 years and very unstable but remain top heavy for reasons seen in this review and others.

Stop viewing everything with rose colored glasses. Generate real data to forge a proper path instead of embarking into 10 different directions like an ADD kid. Give proper time and resources to develop products rather than tossing junk out the door nobody wants to buy.

Really is a Best Place to Work!

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time

Pros

Core values are truly values from the top down, not lip service; GREAT products; employees are made to feel valued; work-life balance; generous paid time off; terrific opportunities for career growth; passionate employees; high-energy workplace; discounted insurance premiums for participating in wellness program; we work hard together and have fun together!

Cons

Like every company I'm familiar with, we can struggle with internal communication; we can also struggle with our focus - although I know it often stems from a good place, it can be counter-productive.

Keep doing what you're doing to make employees and customers feel valued, and to put out terrific products! Make sure important intiatives are owned and managed.

Good culture and environment

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Parata has a strong work/life balance depending on the department (with the exception of field service employees). Friendly culture, promotes heavily from within.

Cons

Lack of structure and formal processes. Company known for taking on too many projects and lofty goals at once with little planning on how to execute. Management changes direction quickly with little strategy or planning. Everyone in management staff related to each other. Compensation poor, bonuses virtually non-existent. Most of management does not know how to 'walk the talk'. Points fingers at each other and barely communicates.

Focus on a few key initiatives rather than everything at once. Take time to develop formal processes and stick with them. Hold on to key talent.

Company in trouble.

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people who work hard and well together. Employees are the company's best asset. Products are cool and interesting. Service and call center team do a great job keeping customers happy. Great HR team trying hard to create "best place to work."

Cons

CEO has stale perspective and lacks ideas for how to take the company to next level. Holds employees to high standard but talks trash about employees and customers in meetings with other company leaders. Engineers regarded as commodities and we're first to go in layoffs. Field service engineers overworked and underpaid. Pay lower than industry. No 401K matching. Nurse measures your waist, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. to determine how much you pay for health insurance. Random tobacco testing. Marketing is revolving-door nightmare where experienced employees are forced out. Not enough focus on customers, only people who might buy.

Figure out how the company will make it in a changing health field. Your competitors are lapping you. Make peace between departments. Ask employees what's really going on, listen and make a plan to follow up. Reward employees for telling the truth about how things are going. PR about how great the company is won't hold up to the truth. Take a look at what made the company successful as a start-up. Focus on customers and employees.

Great Possibilities not realized

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good culture and people to work with. Great support if you are in the field. I am an FSE in New York so, I have a great support network when I need something. Independent work environment.

Cons

Management via "good ol boy network ". Pay is poor and overtime is always expected. Promises made are not kept. You are expected to travel out on Sunday and home on Saturday for example, when you are working out of your area. No new technology, no plan to leverage current customers with additional products to sell.

Come up with some new products before the competition does. If you are going to make a promise then try to keep it, at least some of the time...

Great People! Great Culture!

I have been working at Parata Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and the culture is what makes Parata a wonderful place to work. It is a growing company, but it still feels like a small company in a lot of ways. The work you do makes a difference to the company's overall success. Everyone bands together to get the work done and most people have a do-whatever-it-takes attitude. There is a lot of flexibility here and we have a lot of fun while getting the job done. You can tell management cares about it's customers and it's employees.

Cons

There are two separate buildings in Durham - corporate and the operations center. Sometimes having people in two buildings make it feel somewhat disconnected.

Publish the corporate goals earlier and in a more standardized way.

We do more with less...and we love it

I have been working at Parata Systems

Pros

Employees at Parata are encouraged to think outside the box and to keep the Customer's needs at the forefront of what we do.

Cons

Sometimes the resources that are needed are not available.

Worked for Parata Systems? Contribute to the Community!