Parelli Natural Horsemanship Reviews

Pat Parelli

1. Positive Attitudes and Enthusiasm welcome

Current Employee - Events Team, Licensed Professional in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Events Team, Licensed Professional in Pagosa Springs, CO

I have been working at Parelli Natural Horsemanship full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been associated with Parelli for 5+ years now, and approximately 1.5 years at the Corporate Office. This is a great place to work - I've worked in other places where it isn't fun to be there every day --- this place is very different. The Core Values are at work from the top (Russ Elliott COO) down and it is great to work in a place with everyone putting their best foot forward daily. There are so many great stories from customers every day, and the goal is to be the best Customer Service that we can. It has been a privilege and an honor to work here.

Cons

The pay - but there have been lots of opportunities to work extra hours or on special projects

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping the Core Values at the forefront. Keep asking and checking in!

2. Great program

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO

I have been working at Parelli Natural Horsemanship (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Parelli program is phenomenal, company needs to make that their focal point.

Cons

Egos get in the way of an amazing program

The worst company I have ever worked for in my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO

I worked at Parelli Natural Horsemanship full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your goal is to work in a horse industry related company, that would be the only reason to work here.

Cons

There is a very high turnover rate of employees here many people leave after working for them after only a year. Pat Parelli is not the CEO as listed on this site. In fact, the owners change who is the CEO about every 12 to 24 months. These constant changes cause for a very unstable and unhappy work environment. Parelli has been investigated by the Colorado labor board two times. I am not sure of the outcome of those investigations and what fines or fees they may have paid. The labor board will not disclose this information but I think it should be made public. The other major reason for the turnover rate probably has to do with pay. There is little room for advancement and the salaries paid are well below average. The only people that stay at this company for long periods of time are horse lovers that do not have enough marketable skills to get a job anywhere else. Come to the small town of Pagosa Springs, CO and ask locals about Parelli. You will hear plenty of stories that corroborate this review. In a small town where jobs are needed, it is well known that it is not worth working at this company.

Advice to Management

If you took more time in hiring managers, the CEO, and even in choosing your partners, then perhaps you would find someone who would be worth keeping. Of course you would have to start paying at least average salaries to get anyone worthy of keeping.

Parelli Natural Horsemanship Response

Jul 28, 2014 – COO

Unfortunately, change is a necessary evil with any employer and sometimes that change is difficult. This was one of those situations where we as a company felt we needed to go a different direction ... More

5. Opportunities, compensation, recognition and individual value are sorely missing here

Former Employee - Information Technology in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Pagosa Springs, CO

I worked at Parelli Natural Horsemanship full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pagosa Springs, CO is a beautiful town.

Cons

Being a professional with years of education and experience does not matter with salary - for the most part, owners inform you everyone starts out at $25,000, which for an international company (and your possible higher education) is not worth the time/effort for your personal well-being in the long run. The turnover rate was very high while I was there and I'm certain it's about the same. As someone who sacrificed a lot to move here from afar, I'd highly recommend considering looking at the pros and cons before committing. There are a lot of very disturbing politics here and some sad practices overall.

Advice to Management

Don't judge, choose favorites; quit changing/skewing your 'core values' to suit only upper-level needs; keep your word to those you hire especially when they put forth above and beyond effort (understand the value of individual sacrifice in this case).

6. Great place to grow as a student of the program and help promote a great program to people for horses.

I have been working at Parelli Natural Horsemanship

Pros

Core values, beneficial to horses and their treatment, education

Cons

Pay rate is on the low end for most employees

Advice to Management

better pay for employees

RSS Feed </> Embed