Parelli Natural Horsemanship

Parelli Natural Horsemanship Reviews

2.3

Parelli Natural Horsemanship Owner & Founder Pat Parelli
Pat Parelli

Great place to grow as a student of the program and help promote a great program to people for horses.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO

I have been working at Parelli Natural Horsemanship

Pros

Core values, beneficial to horses and their treatment, education

Cons

Pay rate is on the low end for most employees

better pay for employees

The worst company I have ever worked for in my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagosa Springs, CO

I worked at Parelli Natural Horsemanship full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your goal is to work in a horse industry related company, that would be the only reason to work here.

Cons

There is a very high turnover rate of employees here many people leave after working for them after only a year. Pat Parelli is not the CEO as listed on this site. In fact, the owners change who is the CEO about every 12 to 24 months. These constant changes cause for a very unstable and unhappy work environment.

Parelli has been investigated by the Colorado labor board two times. I am not sure of the outcome of those investigations and what fines or fees they may have paid. The labor board will not disclose this information but I think it should be made public.

The other major reason for the turnover rate probably has to do with pay. There is little room for advancement and the salaries paid are well below average.

The only people that stay at this company for long periods of time are horse lovers that do not have enough marketable skills to get a job anywhere else.

Come to the small town of Pagosa Springs, CO and ask locals about Parelli. You will hear plenty of stories that corroborate this review. In a small town where jobs are needed, it is well known that it is not worth working at this company.

If you took more time in hiring managers, the CEO, and even in choosing your partners, then perhaps you would find someone who would be worth keeping. Of course you would have to start paying at least average salaries to get anyone worthy of keeping.

Parelli Natural Horsemanship Response

Jul 28, 2014COO

Unfortunately, change is a necessary evil with any employer and sometimes that change is difficult. This was one of those situations where we as a company felt we needed to go a different direction ... More

Opportunities, compensation, recognition and individual value are sorely missing here

Former Employee - Information Technology in Pagosa Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Pagosa Springs, CO

I worked at Parelli Natural Horsemanship full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pagosa Springs, CO is a beautiful town.

Cons

Being a professional with years of education and experience does not matter with salary - for the most part, owners inform you everyone starts out at $25,000, which for an international company (and your possible higher education) is not worth the time/effort for your personal well-being in the long run. The turnover rate was very high while I was there and I'm certain it's about the same. As someone who sacrificed a lot to move here from afar, I'd highly recommend considering looking at the pros and cons before committing. There are a lot of very disturbing politics here and some sad practices overall.

Don't judge, choose favorites; quit changing/skewing your 'core values' to suit only upper-level needs; keep your word to those you hire especially when they put forth above and beyond effort (understand the value of individual sacrifice in this case).