ParenteBeard

ParenteBeard Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

ParenteBeard CEO Robert J. Ciaruffoli

Robert J. Ciaruffoli

Great company to intern with!

Audit Intern (Current Employee)

ProsI job shadowed at various places before choosing ParenteBeard to complete my internship at. Everyone complains about public accounting, but ParenteBeard really seems to promote the work/life balance, and you could tell that they want you to have a life while working here. Everybody I have worked with has been encouraging and helpful. I love the culture of the firm and the flexibility you are allowed to have as you move up in the firm. As an intern, I am assigned to clients and get experiences that my friends interning at other companies don't get. I'm so glad I chose ParenteBeard for my internship!

ConsSome of the tasks I get assigned to do are a little monotonous, but that's where everyone starts in the firm, and everyone who gives them to you will tell you that.

Jul 18, 2014

We're glad to have such a positive intern on board this summer! Thank you for sharing your review and spending your internship with us. Nice to hear about your experience. Wow, also impressed at the ... More

Summer audit intern. Good experience friendly people.

Audit Intern (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHelpful staff and managers for the most part. Flexible hours for intern (usually 32-38 range). Do not expect too much from interns but a great way to get your feet wet in terms of seeing what engagements are all about.

ConsFor interns only: At times can be boring, and when assigned work might not be explained very well.
    For Staff: it seems pretty good minus the demanding hours of working for a public accounting firm.

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you for your post. We're pleased to hear about the positive interactions you've had with your managers. Keep in mind you can always mention to your manager or partner that you have completed ... More

Awesome Experience

Audit Intern (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe internship is a great experience for any student looking towards a career in audit. I have learned more about the business in the last few months at ParenteBeard than I did during two semesters at school.

ConsSometimes there is a bit of lag in work and days in the office can become a little boring, but typically there is always something to keep the interns busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone I have worked with has been wonderful!

Jul 18, 2014

It is nice to hear how much you've learned in a few weeks in our office. We are glad to impact intern's decisions on their future career paths. Thank you for posting this positive review.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Manager (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsGreat company that strives for being the best in what they do. ParenteBeard values the team members they have on staff, and strive to provide all of their team members with the tools necessary to succeed in their careers

ConsNothing, with the exception that there are some Partners and Sr. Managers in some offices that still like to function as though they are not part of a larger organziation but rather still a small office independently.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being the best.

Jul 3, 2014

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate that you took the time to write this and are pleased to have you on our team. Keep up the good work.

My experience at ParenteBeard was very positive.

Audit Intern (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThey have a great staff and a friendly atmosphere in the office. They make an effort to treat their employees with respect.

ConsThe training was a little bit challenging. A lot of new information was thrown at the employees with little chance the information would be received.

Jun 26, 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We realize you had many options for where to participate in a summer internship and we are glad to have you on the ParenteBeard team this summer ... More

Summer Intern Experience

ProsSmall enough to get to know everyone in the office even people from other departments

ConsEven though given projects to complete for both client and HR work, still some down time in the office

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Jul 18, 2014

Glad to have you on board with us this summer. Remember to alert your manager and partner when you have time to assist with other projects. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hard work = Opportunity and Reward

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsAt ParenteBeard hard work has been rewarded with endless opportunity and rewards. Personally I have seen "early" promotions to Manager and Senior Manager in order to capitalize on opportunities. It has been challenging but the Partners of the firm ensure success and very good to work with (I say with instead of for as it really is a team feel). The compensation and benefits have met and/or exceeded my expectation up until this point and I believe are very favorable to other public and private accounting firms.

The Senior Management of the firm have been great as well. Different people, including the CEO, have taken time to have one on one calls, conversation, and even lunches with me. If there are concerns Senior Management will take the time to hear them and, if feasible, make changes.

The cultures and values of the firm are at the forefront of a lot of our daily work. Some of the main things are community, one, momentum, positive thinking, accountability, service, and social responsibility. Also I feel there is freedom to express your personal values as little or as much as you like.

ConsI believe most of the cons I've experienced at ParenteBeard are not company issues but rather industry issues. Public accounting is tough and it is a lot of hard work. With technology today, it is almost like you're available to your clients 24/7. Also with today's technology, clients expect answers right away. There are a lot of deadlines and really no "offseason" depending on what industries you work in.

These types of things have lead to my one con - which is work/life balance. I jokingly refer to it as my work/work balance. Especially being a father who would be a stay at home Dad in a heartbeat and whose personal values prefer faith and family to a fast track career path, this is very tough. However, ParenteBeard really pushes work/life balance and there is some flexibility in our work. For example, I can make an appointment with my son in the middle of the day and just work extra at night. I believe Senior Management really pushes for work/life balance as it is tough in our line of work and they know the value of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to note at this time.

Jun 4, 2014

We appreciate your positive response. It is great to hear about your comfort level and timely response when approaching senior leadership for solutions or advice. You are a great example of working ... More

Great Immediate Co-Workers, Vastly Disappointed in Management

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsParenteBeard is a large enough company to have peer groups at almost all levels. There are 8-10 peers within the region I work that I have developed good relationships with, can talk about various issues, etc. The pay and benefits at ParenteBeard are very competitive compared to other regional accounting firms. The immediate co-workers in my office are excellent - personable, highly competent, and usually reasonable to work with. The company is large enough that there are avenues for lateral movement as we as upward advancement. There are internal positions in HR, recruiting, scheduling, etc. Career advancement is certainly a pro at ParenteBeard as well. With the recent turnover throughout the company, there are plenty of open positions in various departments.

ConsHowever, there are significant areas that I would caution potential employees to inspect before accepting a job here. Management is primarily out of Philadelphia and when they review other regions, the primary method of review appear to be through numbers. Partners within individual offices are seemingly limited in their ability to make decisions based on qualitative factors like interpersonal skills, teamwork, etc. If the numbers (charge hours, etc) aren't there, it would appear that upper management is quick to make employment decisions. This has lead to complications in scheduling work and getting it completed in a timely manner if employees are only expected to work 40 hours outside of busy season. In addition, it can be a good thing for a firm when employees choose to leave public accounting and work for private companies. Those employees can be good sources for work referrals, etc. However, many of the employees I have known that have since left have gone to work for other pubic accounting firms. This looks like to a symptom of employees who are dissatisfied with the current status of the firm, rather than employees who are seeking to change the type of job they're doing. I would highly encourage potential employees to think long and hard about this company and talk to as many people as possible to weigh the pros and cons with this company before making any decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig Four accounting firms have office managing partners for a reason. Trying to control all offices through a central office (Philadelphia) or even RMP's leads to poor assessments in terms of work volume, scheduling and availability, employee performance reviews, and a multitude of other things. I would encourage management to decentralize some of their power and give the partners more control of their own offices. When you read reviews below from 2009 and on, poor communication and management from Philadelphia seem to be a recurring problem.

Jun 17, 2014

We appreciate you writing this review and sharing your positive experiences with your office team members. It is great to hear about the consistent collaboration within the firm. Thank you for ... More

ParenteBeard creates a unique environment that helps employees to develop as professionals and individuals.

Staff Accountant II (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsParenteBeard allows very flexible working schedules for their employees, constantly try to get employees involved in charity events, and provide a challenging work environment that forces employees to learn. The first week of training that ParenteBeard ever offered to me, called “New Hire Training”, we completed exercises that focused on not just my professional development but also my personal development. I think that ParenteBeard realizes that if they develop us as people, they create a much stronger and intelligent worker that benefits everyone, including other employees at the firm, ourselves, and society.

ConsThe largest challenge I face working in public accounting is work-life balance. I find it very difficult to have a life outside of work, while still trying to be involved in various charity events and study for my CPA exam. Another challenge is having to be constantly available to co-workers, even I go on vacation for week. I have a responsibility to check my e-mail every 24 hours, which can be intrusive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as this time.

May 14, 2014

It is nice to hear your enthusiasm and excitement for having a well-rounded schedule, balancing your work life and charitable endeavors. We are pleased to know our professionals appreciate our ... More

Great place to work

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance, upper management understands there is more to life than work, flexibility, opportunity for growth, office culture jives with personal life.

ConsSome of the offices seem disjointed and dysfunctional at times, cause for job security concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better understanding of what's going on at lower levels and how that affects work/office culture.

May 13, 2014

Thank you for writing this positive review. We appreciate hearing about your experiences at the firm. Should you have any concerns about your job security, your immediate supervisor or human ... More

Worked for ParenteBeard? Contribute to the Community!