ParenteBeard

Updated August 18, 2014

4.0

ParenteBeard CEO Robert J. Ciaruffoli
Robert J. Ciaruffoli

Great company to intern with!

Current Employee - Audit Intern
    Current Employee - Audit Intern

I have been working at ParenteBeard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I job shadowed at various places before choosing ParenteBeard to complete my internship at. Everyone complains about public accounting, but ParenteBeard really seems to promote the work/life balance, and you could tell that they want you to have a life while working here. Everybody I have worked with has been encouraging and helpful. I love the culture of the firm and the flexibility you are allowed to have as you move up in the firm. As an intern, I am assigned to clients and get experiences that my friends interning at other companies don't get. I'm so glad I chose ParenteBeard for my internship!

Cons

Some of the tasks I get assigned to do are a little monotonous, but that's where everyone starts in the firm, and everyone who gives them to you will tell you that.

Jul 18, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

We're glad to have such a positive intern on board this summer! Thank you for sharing your review and spending your internship with us. Nice to hear about your experience. Wow, also impressed at the ... More

Not what it seems....

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at ParenteBeard full-time

Pros

Regional clients, good PA presence, and certain industry groups have great experts but little depth beyond that

Cons

Upper management is not overly trustworthy
    Salaries are fair, but work/life balance is non-existent
    Direction of the firm is questionable, and if it really benefits all or just a select few
    People and industries "disappear" quickly
    Certain regions have "good ol' boy" mentality working within - esp. former Parente strongholds

Aug 29, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Thank you for your review and time with the firm. It is positive to hear about the firm's expertise in particular industries.

A Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ParenteBeard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, large company, job security

Cons

Typical corporate America environment, office politics

Aug 18, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Thank you for your review. Glad to hear you encountered friendly and approachable team members while you worked here. Best wishes in your career endeavors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer audit intern. Good experience friendly people.

Former Employee - Audit Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ParenteBeard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Helpful staff and managers for the most part. Flexible hours for intern (usually 32-38 range). Do not expect too much from interns but a great way to get your feet wet in terms of seeing what engagements are all about.

Cons

For interns only: At times can be boring, and when assigned work might not be explained very well.
    For Staff: it seems pretty good minus the demanding hours of working for a public accounting firm.

Jul 18, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Thank you for your post. We're pleased to hear about the positive interactions you've had with your managers. Keep in mind you can always mention to your manager or partner that you have completed ... More

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - Audit Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ParenteBeard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The internship is a great experience for any student looking towards a career in audit. I have learned more about the business in the last few months at ParenteBeard than I did during two semesters at school.

Cons

Sometimes there is a bit of lag in work and days in the office can become a little boring, but typically there is always something to keep the interns busy.

Everyone I have worked with has been wonderful!

Jul 18, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

It is nice to hear how much you've learned in a few weeks in our office. We are glad to impact intern's decisions on their future career paths. Thank you for posting this positive review.

Great company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at ParenteBeard full-time

Pros

Great company that strives for being the best in what they do. ParenteBeard values the team members they have on staff, and strive to provide all of their team members with the tools necessary to succeed in their careers

Cons

Nothing, with the exception that there are some Partners and Sr. Managers in some offices that still like to function as though they are not part of a larger organziation but rather still a small office independently.

Continue being the best.

Jul 3, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate that you took the time to write this and are pleased to have you on our team. Keep up the good work.

Summer Intern Experience

I have been working at ParenteBeard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Small enough to get to know everyone in the office even people from other departments

Cons

Even though given projects to complete for both client and HR work, still some down time in the office

Jul 18, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Glad to have you on board with us this summer. Remember to alert your manager and partner when you have time to assist with other projects. Thank you for sharing your experience.

My experience at ParenteBeard was very positive.

Current Employee - Audit Intern  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ParenteBeard full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a great staff and a friendly atmosphere in the office. They make an effort to treat their employees with respect.

Cons

The training was a little bit challenging. A lot of new information was thrown at the employees with little chance the information would be received.

Jun 26, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We realize you had many options for where to participate in a summer internship and we are glad to have you on the ParenteBeard team this summer ... More

Great Immediate Co-Workers, Vastly Disappointed in Management

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at ParenteBeard full-time for more than a year

Pros

ParenteBeard is a large enough company to have peer groups at almost all levels. There are 8-10 peers within the region I work that I have developed good relationships with, can talk about various issues, etc. The pay and benefits at ParenteBeard are very competitive compared to other regional accounting firms. The immediate co-workers in my office are excellent - personable, highly competent, and usually reasonable to work with. The company is large enough that there are avenues for lateral movement as we as upward advancement. There are internal positions in HR, recruiting, scheduling, etc. Career advancement is certainly a pro at ParenteBeard as well. With the recent turnover throughout the company, there are plenty of open positions in various departments.

Cons

However, there are significant areas that I would caution potential employees to inspect before accepting a job here. Management is primarily out of Philadelphia and when they review other regions, the primary method of review appear to be through numbers. Partners within individual offices are seemingly limited in their ability to make decisions based on qualitative factors like interpersonal skills, teamwork, etc. If the numbers (charge hours, etc) aren't there, it would appear that upper management is quick to make employment decisions. This has lead to complications in scheduling work and getting it completed in a timely manner if employees are only expected to work 40 hours outside of busy season. In addition, it can be a good thing for a firm when employees choose to leave public accounting and work for private companies. Those employees can be good sources for work referrals, etc. However, many of the employees I have known that have since left have gone to work for other pubic accounting firms. This looks like to a symptom of employees who are dissatisfied with the current status of the firm, rather than employees who are seeking to change the type of job they're doing. I would highly encourage potential employees to think long and hard about this company and talk to as many people as possible to weigh the pros and cons with this company before making any decisions.

Big Four accounting firms have office managing partners for a reason. Trying to control all offices through a central office (Philadelphia) or even RMP's leads to poor assessments in terms of work volume, scheduling and availability, employee performance reviews, and a multitude of other things. I would encourage management to decentralize some of their power and give the partners more control of their own offices. When you read reviews below from 2009 and on, poor communication and management from Philadelphia seem to be a recurring problem.

Jun 17, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

We appreciate you writing this review and sharing your positive experiences with your office team members. It is great to hear about the consistent collaboration within the firm. Thank you for ... More

Hard work = Opportunity and Reward

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at ParenteBeard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At ParenteBeard hard work has been rewarded with endless opportunity and rewards. Personally I have seen "early" promotions to Manager and Senior Manager in order to capitalize on opportunities. It has been challenging but the Partners of the firm ensure success and very good to work with (I say with instead of for as it really is a team feel). The compensation and benefits have met and/or exceeded my expectation up until this point and I believe are very favorable to other public and private accounting firms.

The Senior Management of the firm have been great as well. Different people, including the CEO, have taken time to have one on one calls, conversation, and even lunches with me. If there are concerns Senior Management will take the time to hear them and, if feasible, make changes.

The cultures and values of the firm are at the forefront of a lot of our daily work. Some of the main things are community, one, momentum, positive thinking, accountability, service, and social responsibility. Also I feel there is freedom to express your personal values as little or as much as you like.

Cons

I believe most of the cons I've experienced at ParenteBeard are not company issues but rather industry issues. Public accounting is tough and it is a lot of hard work. With technology today, it is almost like you're available to your clients 24/7. Also with today's technology, clients expect answers right away. There are a lot of deadlines and really no "offseason" depending on what industries you work in.

These types of things have lead to my one con - which is work/life balance. I jokingly refer to it as my work/work balance. Especially being a father who would be a stay at home Dad in a heartbeat and whose personal values prefer faith and family to a fast track career path, this is very tough. However, ParenteBeard really pushes work/life balance and there is some flexibility in our work. For example, I can make an appointment with my son in the middle of the day and just work extra at night. I believe Senior Management really pushes for work/life balance as it is tough in our line of work and they know the value of it.

Nothing to note at this time.

Jun 4, 2014ParenteBeard Firm Representative

We appreciate your positive response. It is great to hear about your comfort level and timely response when approaching senior leadership for solutions or advice. You are a great example of working ... More

Worked for ParenteBeard? Contribute to the Community!