ParenteBeard

Robert J. Ciaruffoli

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsGreat company that strives for being the best in what they do. ParenteBeard values the team members they have on staff, and strive to provide all of their team members with the tools necessary to succeed in their careers

ConsNothing, with the exception that there are some Partners and Sr. Managers in some offices that still like to function as though they are not part of a larger organziation but rather still a small office independently.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being the best.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate that you took the time to write this and are pleased to have you on our team. Keep up the good work.

My experience at ParenteBeard was very positive.

Audit Intern (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThey have a great staff and a friendly atmosphere in the office. They make an effort to treat their employees with respect.

ConsThe training was a little bit challenging. A lot of new information was thrown at the employees with little chance the information would be received.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We realize you had many options for where to participate in a summer internship and we are glad to have you on the ParenteBeard team this summer ... More

Great Immediate Co-Workers, Vastly Disappointed in Management

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsParenteBeard is a large enough company to have peer groups at almost all levels. There are 8-10 peers within the region I work that I have developed good relationships with, can talk about various issues, etc. The pay and benefits at ParenteBeard are very competitive compared to other regional accounting firms. The immediate co-workers in my office are excellent - personable, highly competent, and usually reasonable to work with. The company is large enough that there are avenues for lateral movement as we as upward advancement. There are internal positions in HR, recruiting, scheduling, etc. Career advancement is certainly a pro at ParenteBeard as well. With the recent turnover throughout the company, there are plenty of open positions in various departments.

ConsHowever, there are significant areas that I would caution potential employees to inspect before accepting a job here. Management is primarily out of Philadelphia and when they review other regions, the primary method of review appear to be through numbers. Partners within individual offices are seemingly limited in their ability to make decisions based on qualitative factors like interpersonal skills, teamwork, etc. If the numbers (charge hours, etc) aren't there, it would appear that upper management is quick to make employment decisions. This has lead to complications in scheduling work and getting it completed in a timely manner if employees are only expected to work 40 hours outside of busy season. In addition, it can be a good thing for a firm when employees choose to leave public accounting and work for private companies. Those employees can be good sources for work referrals, etc. However, many of the employees I have known that have since left have gone to work for other pubic accounting firms. This looks like to a symptom of employees who are dissatisfied with the current status of the firm, rather than employees who are seeking to change the type of job they're doing. I would highly encourage potential employees to think long and hard about this company and talk to as many people as possible to weigh the pros and cons with this company before making any decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig Four accounting firms have office managing partners for a reason. Trying to control all offices through a central office (Philadelphia) or even RMP's leads to poor assessments in terms of work volume, scheduling and availability, employee performance reviews, and a multitude of other things. I would encourage management to decentralize some of their power and give the partners more control of their own offices. When you read reviews below from 2009 and on, poor communication and management from Philadelphia seem to be a recurring problem.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Jun 17, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate you writing this review and sharing your positive experiences with your office team members. It is great to hear about the consistent collaboration within the firm. Thank you for ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work = Opportunity and Reward

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsAt ParenteBeard hard work has been rewarded with endless opportunity and rewards. Personally I have seen "early" promotions to Manager and Senior Manager in order to capitalize on opportunities. It has been challenging but the Partners of the firm ensure success and very good to work with (I say with instead of for as it really is a team feel). The compensation and benefits have met and/or exceeded my expectation up until this point and I believe are very favorable to other public and private accounting firms.

The Senior Management of the firm have been great as well. Different people, including the CEO, have taken time to have one on one calls, conversation, and even lunches with me. If there are concerns Senior Management will take the time to hear them and, if feasible, make changes.

The cultures and values of the firm are at the forefront of a lot of our daily work. Some of the main things are community, one, momentum, positive thinking, accountability, service, and social responsibility. Also I feel there is freedom to express your personal values as little or as much as you like.

ConsI believe most of the cons I've experienced at ParenteBeard are not company issues but rather industry issues. Public accounting is tough and it is a lot of hard work. With technology today, it is almost like you're available to your clients 24/7. Also with today's technology, clients expect answers right away. There are a lot of deadlines and really no "offseason" depending on what industries you work in.

These types of things have lead to my one con - which is work/life balance. I jokingly refer to it as my work/work balance. Especially being a father who would be a stay at home Dad in a heartbeat and whose personal values prefer faith and family to a fast track career path, this is very tough. However, ParenteBeard really pushes work/life balance and there is some flexibility in our work. For example, I can make an appointment with my son in the middle of the day and just work extra at night. I believe Senior Management really pushes for work/life balance as it is tough in our line of work and they know the value of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to note at this time.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Jun 4, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your positive response. It is great to hear about your comfort level and timely response when approaching senior leadership for solutions or advice. You are a great example of working ... More

ParenteBeard creates a unique environment that helps employees to develop as professionals and individuals.

Staff Accountant II (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsParenteBeard allows very flexible working schedules for their employees, constantly try to get employees involved in charity events, and provide a challenging work environment that forces employees to learn. The first week of training that ParenteBeard ever offered to me, called “New Hire Training”, we completed exercises that focused on not just my professional development but also my personal development. I think that ParenteBeard realizes that if they develop us as people, they create a much stronger and intelligent worker that benefits everyone, including other employees at the firm, ourselves, and society.

ConsThe largest challenge I face working in public accounting is work-life balance. I find it very difficult to have a life outside of work, while still trying to be involved in various charity events and study for my CPA exam. Another challenge is having to be constantly available to co-workers, even I go on vacation for week. I have a responsibility to check my e-mail every 24 hours, which can be intrusive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as this time.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review May 14, 2014 EditDelete
    It is nice to hear your enthusiasm and excitement for having a well-rounded schedule, balancing your work life and charitable endeavors. We are pleased to know our professionals appreciate our ... More

Great place to work

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance, upper management understands there is more to life than work, flexibility, opportunity for growth, office culture jives with personal life.

ConsSome of the offices seem disjointed and dysfunctional at times, cause for job security concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better understanding of what's going on at lower levels and how that affects work/office culture.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review May 13, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for writing this positive review. We appreciate hearing about your experiences at the firm. Should you have any concerns about your job security, your immediate supervisor or human ... More

One year complete with years to come...

ProsWhen I started, I was told to work hard and good things would come. I have had opportunities that I would likely have never had in industry. Each day has been spent working with some of the smartest and caring people I have ever worked with. I wake up looking forward to work, which is a good thing since we spend so much time working.

ConsBudgets, the necessary evil in the industry, are challenging to maintain when the firm continues to hire staff without experience. Although the less experienced staff are great to work with and eager to learn, it makes it sometimes next to impossible to stay within budget. Understandably removed from the day to day work, upper management needs to remember the time it takes teach new staff.

I know management communicates regularly about staff schedule, however it is often communicated that some staff do not receive as much work and that the work is unbalanced. In my opinion, budgets and scheduling going together in that, for example, if I am responsible for a project with a tight budget I am less inclined to ask for less experienced staff to join. I would likely continue to request a select group of staff to join.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring staff with experience and mix the engagement teams in order to give the budget a chance to be met with consideration given to training time.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review May 9, 2014 EditDelete
    We are thrilled to hear about your promising opportunities and also commend you on your commitment to hard work. It is a pleasure to have hard working team members dedicated to our clients' success ... More

Opportunities available to those committed to the profession.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe firm offers a substantial number of opportunities to those willing to volunteer and take initiative. Recognition and compensation is provided to those individuals that take the initiative and pick up the more complicated tasks. The company is a good place to grow and learn as long as you are willing to put in the hours and are proactive in your career. If you have an idea on how to better approach a task, engagement, or improve / expand client service, the partners and managers are always willing to listen and provide their support.

ConsIn some areas of the firm, there is a lack of team work to approach tasks. This issue comes up often in the business development and networking aspects of working in the accounting profession. Firm leadership and partners are at times hesitant to assist newer managers and staff with business development and networking due to how the firm tracks certain KPIs. This view is slowly changing in the firm but it is still a significant issue for up and coming managers / staff due to how the firm determines the "score" for new client wins. Additionally, the firm is hestiant in promoting the activities and articles of non-Partner level team members on its website which hinders the marketing abilities for team members below the Partner level.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the necessary tools for developing business to those non-Partner team members that are committed to the firm. Help them develop business by providing recognition for their activities / contributions to the profession on the external ParenteBeard website. Sharing this type of information on LinkedIn is a good first step, but the next step would be to recognize these contributions on the external website so it can be used as a business development tool for non-Partners.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Apr 11, 2014 EditDelete
    We are glad to hear your positive attitude regarding available opportunities and advancement. We encourage all team members to participate in business development and networking activities and to ... More

It is all about the people

Philadelphia, PA

Pros- Depending on the office, work schedule is flexible. I can take a longer lunch or coming or leave earlier to attend to a personal matter and make up my time later as long as I communicate with the team members I am working for
    - Not a competitive environment, team members care about each other and want to see other succeed
    - Partners and senior managers are accessable... you get to work with them from the minute you start at PB
    - Great learning environment, people take the time to sit with you and make sure you understand concepts
    - From the beginning I was exposed to a variety of clients and engagements
    - C-suite team members are fairly accessable, more so than you would expect at a firm this size

Cons- Every office does things differently making it frustrating and difficult to pick up work from other offices
    - Compensation can be questionable... does not always appear to reflect the work people do. Sometimes I wonder why some people get promoted or have not been let go due to poor work product
    - Work is not evenly spread out amongst team members... it tends to be the same people working the very late hours
    - HR team is not very strong or dependable. We have had various failed formal review processes and we get different guidance from the various HR team members

Advice to Senior Management- Spend more money on team members (bonuses and awards) and less on "promotional" or "team building" videos that add little value
    - Make uniform policies and workpapers for all engagements in ALL OFFICES... we are one firm and it would be nice to operate that way
    - Invest more in improving the technical skills of employees

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Mar 20, 2014 EditDelete
    It is great to hear you feel flexible and motivated with your work schedule. We are pleased to know you are comfortable approaching your management team for further direction and with any questions ... More

Work in a great team environment

ProsThe partners are very knowledgeable about many different industries and they are normally willing to sit down to thoroughly explain themselves/the task at hand. You can learn a lot about specialized industries and empower you to take on more challenging tasks.

ConsSometimes it is hard to work with individuals when they are working remotely from another office, but this is often overcome by frequent contact.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider to update technology more frequently and invest more in educating the firm to become more advanced in the programs/areas where we spend most of our time.

Flag Review
    ParenteBeard ParenteBeard Firm Representative responded to this review Mar 13, 2014 EditDelete
    It is great to hear such positive feedback about your confidence in the partner group. And also to hear how comfortable you are in going to them or other managers for feedback or questions. Regarding ... More

Worked for ParenteBeard? Contribute to the Community!

ParenteBeard Videos

ParenteBeard – Why Work for Us?

ParenteBeard is ranked among the top 25 accounting firms in the U.S. With 800 professionals, the firm is a leader in providing CPA and business advisory services to small businesses, middle market companies, nonprofits… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ParenteBeard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ParenteBeard CEO Robert J. Ciaruffoli. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by ParenteBeard employees.