Pariveda Solutions

Pariveda Solutions Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Pariveda Solutions CEO Bruce Ballengee

Bruce Ballengee

Pros:
  • "Employee owned which all participate in"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Accelerated career path is intended to guide each consultant to be a well-rounded executive"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is considered to be more like a work-life "wobble""
    in 6 reviews
  • "Crunch time on projects can make for some long hours"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredible Experience, Great People

Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsNot just busy work. Our leaders look for projects that are valuable to our clients, interesting for our people, and located in our region. We work in teams so there is a natural support system on our engagements as well as a great network across the company to provide guidance, insight and best practices.

Our tough hiring process probably means we miss out on some having some great people join our team but keeping the bar high means a high success rate. Working with such incredible talent makes everyone bring their 'A' game each date and ultimately grows us better and faster.

ConsThe company culture is wonderful but with rapid growth, there has been a frequent need to 'pivot' and change direction. The company leaders are very attentive to culture and continually looking to make improvements but a higher degree of formal communication would help make the need for change better understood.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building this great company but look for ways to improve an already transparent organization by sharing your strategy when implementing changes.

Excellent place to work, but only if you fit their mold

Associate (A2) (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsEveryone here is top caliber talent. The company health is publicly shared with employees, usually on a quarterly basis. Most consultants do a good job of self-organizing social events, and company-sponsored events are frequent. You can easily stay in touch with your local base.

ConsMentors are often too busy to regularly meet because the entire firm is working insane hours. Also, because mentors are hit and miss, you might end up with a bad one. Zero bonus compensation, no comp time, and no opportunity to increase your salary outside of yearly promotions (assuming you even get approved for a promotion in the first place). The company seems to be structured around the lower consulting levels working at high bill rates for insane hours each week. They've pretty much had to do layoffs every couple of years. Most people leave and go on to bigger and better jobs when Pariveda determines that they no longer fit the mold. You have little to no choice in what kind of project you work on. If your number is up and you're available, you get slotted. The company cares more about keeping you billing than what you want in your career, at least from this perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up your strict hiring practices. Find a way to let those who don't want to go sell consulting services become more technically focused. Offer bonuses for staff members stuck on projects with months-long death marches. If they're adding to your bottom line, toss them something in return. Fix your compensation model.

Great Culture

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsStrong core values for customer and employee value. High emphasis on employee training, ESOP structure. Excellent people with strong technical skills

ConsBelow market compensation, long hours engaging in extracurricular training and activities. Need to add more business analyst skills to the technical skills already in place to deliver greater value. The "college hire and build into a consultant" concept is attractive but not necessarily the way clients buy

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust compensation by city

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible opportunity to advance your career in a short span of time.

Manager (M1) (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPariveda sets a high bar for hiring and relies primarily on employee referrals for new recruits. The result is that you end up working with incredibly sharp, focused people that collectively share in the company's vision for what/how a consulting company should function. Other pros include:

- Local/regional model means limited travel
    - Lucrative pay with the fastest promotion structure I have ever seen in the industry (or any other industry for that matter)
    - Great transparency when it comes to things like employee pay structure, company policy, financials, etc.
    - A solid framework for career development with a genuine emphasis placed on employee growth
    - Continuous feedback; no surprises when it comes time for work performance / reviews

ConsAs most people can imagine, consulting in a broad sense, isn't for everyone. Pariveda does it's best to cope with some of the not so great things about consulting. However, I still feel like things like longer hours tends to be the norm. It depends on the OIC running the project, but it's no secret that it's very unlikely you will be working any less than 45 hours a week at most client engagements. The other thing I will mention is that despite the company being in denial about an "up or out" work culture...that's still pretty much the case. Work life balance is considered to be more like a work-life "wobble". Pariveda expects its employees to be passionate about the work they perform. If technical challenges and coding are an interest or hobby and not just a plain work chore for you, you will enjoy working for Pariveda. If you don't fit in that category, you will probably not enjoy the ride at some point in time. In addition, the company has grown to a size where some of the transparency and "cozy start-up" like policies are giving way to more process-oriented policies. It's not a bad thing and it's only natural considering how fast the company has been growing, but Pariveda is certainly not the same place to work at compared to what it was just 5 years ago (I can only speak for the Dallas office).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to seek ways to maintain the original work culture that made Pariveda such a unique firm. Be sure to not compromise on core company values as we continue to grow in size.

Excellent people with smart leadership

Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEmployee owned which all participate in.
    Consultants are actually developed, not just grinded out, or used for their expertise.
    No terrible stack ranking systems or arbitrary quotas for promotions like other consulting shops.
    No offshore work to redo at 2am.
    People are humble; arrogance is not tolerated.

ConsYou will be forced to develop your skills; you can't just be an expert at one subject. The company values generalists. This could be a con for some people just looking to specialize.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out how to scale hiring without lower standards.

Great people to work with that form lifetime relationships

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe collaborative atmosphere mainly in the ranks lower than the executives

ConsGetting harder to make corporate decisions due to office politics. Current compensation structure tied to the expectation of getting promoted every year caused focus on negative characteristics and diluted focus on strong skills valued for the position.

Excellent group of people, but politics at the top was ramping up

Associate (A1) (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsVery smart humble group of people. Culture is open and sharing. Management is focused on growth, personal and organizational. ESOP and reward structure ensures junior employees are paid out of the profits before management.

ConsWork-life balance is out of sync, but they are pretty open about it. Politics at the top shows that only certain kinds of personalities do well at the top. You still have to be in with the right people. Growth becoming more of a priority than nurturing people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTone down the Kool Aid, focus on your core values.

Everyone leaves better than they started

Consultant (C2) (Current Employee)

ProsPromotions are based of competency, not availability. The requirements for promotion are extremely clear, and they hold all of their employees to the same standard.

ConsThe work/life balance is a little unbalanced. This is definitely NOT an 8 to 5 job. The billable expectation is at least 40 hours with outside work (but usually ends up being more), plus anything else you have to do to get promoted.

Great Environment for High-Performing Employees

Associate (A1) (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe company sees themselves as a talent-development organization. They put a lot of time and effort to ensuring every employee at the company is growing their career and skills. There are many things in place to ensure development: clear framework on expectations, mentoring, semi-annual reviews, regular feedback on performance and projects to develop skills to prepare for next career promotion. You could be promoted every year if you earn it.

Team of hard-working, extremely intelligent co-workers. Interview process is rigorous to ensure no dead-weight.

Commitment to community service.

Transparent organization in terms of strategy, salary, performance and financials.

Fantastic benefits and vacation.

Little travel for consultants compared to industry. No "road-warriors"

ConsYou are expected to give your very best. You will work over 40 hours when you factor in development, mentoring, skill training, community service and time to give feedback to others.

You work off-site at the client with your Pariveda team, which some folks either love or hate.

You are expected to give valuable feedback to everyone you work with which can be a time consuming process. On the flip side, you get that same effort back for your own growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work in growing your offices nationally.

Great company to work for

ProsVery smart co-workers
    Defined career path
    Solid mentorship
    Really good senior leadership

ConsNot really any cons that I can think of

Worked for Pariveda Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Pariveda Solutions Videos

Pariveda Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Mission and Core Values Our mission is to develop, manage and apply talent for the benefit of clients, in partnership and for profit. The Idea Behind Our Mission People are most likely to achieve their full potential… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pariveda Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pariveda Solutions CEO Bruce Ballengee. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Pariveda Solutions employees.