Park West Gallery

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
4.0

Albert Scaglione

Exciting - just be aware of the risks

I have been working at Park West Gallery

Pros

Treated like a professional sales person. Excellent travel benefits. Living on a cruise ship - who could complain? Good training. Good company support. In one job, in one month, you can learn skills that would take you years to accumulate working in all sorts of fields. Company wants you to succeed, because your success is their success. They will help you as much as possible as long as you do your part. Possibility of making fantastic income.

Cons

Commission structure not to great. Sometimes you can do everything in your power and the sales just aren't there.

Unique, Formative Experience

Current Employee - ARt Associate
    Current Employee - ARt Associate

I have been working at Park West Gallery as a contractor

Pros

Excellent growth potential and quick ascension for motivated people. Incredible travel. Virtually no "daily life" expenses.

Cons

Very long hours depending on the type of event being run for the day. 100% travel, which can be taxing over time.

Hire

Best decision I ever made was working on a cruise ship.

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very unique opportunity to travel the world and explore new cultures and countries while developing business skills. You get trained on-the-job so as long as you have a passion for art and people and a willingness to succeed and work hard, you're in good shape. You meet people from all corners of the globe and develop friendships and relationships that can last a lifetime.

Cons

It's hard to pack up and leave home for 6 months at a time. Sometimes things aren't communicated effectively due to a lack of resources in shore-side management. Your job happiness can sometimes be dependent on the quality of the team you work with on board your ship.

It was an opportunity of a lifetime that i will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Former Employee - Auctioneer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Auctioneer in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Travel the world, all over the world. Learned basic sales skills and tactics in the beginning. through extensive training learned in-depth and advanced sales techniques. Experience and work with multiple cultures from around the world. develop auctioneering skills. hard work but if that is your thing than you will not be disappointed. "work hard, play hard." Constantly changing daily environment, no two conversations with the clients is the same. No cold calling, just face to face conversations which is a plus.

Cons

not having much say as to when or where you will be assigned. being moved ship to ship at the managements whim can become stressful. at rare times did sometimes feel like a puppet on a string in that regard.

to better keep up with the growth Park West has experienced, they should develop stand alone positions for "travel and vacation request" and "ship assignment logistics." In my experience these were handled by a handful of people; however they were servicing over 700 employees in varies stages of on duty and vacation situations.

Good for traveling, but expect to be ripped off financially!

Former Employee - Gallery Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Gallery Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great sales experience. Exotic ports. Meet some interesting people.

Cons

Horrible working conditions, 18 hour days, bosses who are allowed to treat you like dirt, confining rules that are made up as they go along. They will take your money once you become part of upper management. Do not trust this company.

Stop ripping off your employees and maybe you won't have such a high turnover rate!

Great Working Experience

Current Employee - Gallery Director
    Current Employee - Gallery Director

I have been working at Park West Gallery as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Traveling and working with new people all the time

Cons

There is no specific cons

Art Auctioneer

Current Employee - Art Auctioneer
    Current Employee - Art Auctioneer

I have been working at Park West Gallery as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Unlike any job I ever thought I would take; in my year + with the company, I have learned at an accelerated rate, been taught by great auctioneers and been promoted at a rapid (but not hasty) rate. My background being in the arts, working for a gallery of this caliber and size has been absolutely humbling and very rewarding. I love my job, the travel, the diversity in our clientele and staff.

Cons

A lot of people have had an issue adjusting to ship life... its not for everyone. If you like fast paced, are able to be independent and away from your family for long periods of time and get along well different types of people, you shouldn't have an issue.
    This is not job for people looking to cruise and see the ports...be ready to work HARD, 7 days a week. This, to me, is not a con, but some people may find it to be an issue.

The only issue to me is untimely vacations, and issues with payment; the delay between paychecks can be an issue to me.

I have had very good experiences with most of the upper management; sometimes they like to keep in control of things that don't have much effect on the company (in fact, that sometimes hinder the progress). Overall, 98% content with who I have dealt with.

Great place to work - family environment

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyday is different... there is an energy about the place and its a fast moving environment. Work with a great group of people and for the most part, really enjoy what I do.

Cons

Company policies can sometime be a little vague
    Vacation days are a little on the slim side

It would be nice to have quartley updates of what is coming down the pipeline or in the works. This would keep all employees on the same page and prevent rumors and speculation.

Great place, amazing people!

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a ten year employee of Park West Gallery, I can truly say it is a joy to not only be surrounded by amazing works of art everyday but I can also sincerely say that this is the best group of people I‘ve had the pleasure of working with. Over the years, I’ve had the opportunity of meeting some of the most wonderful artists such as Fanch Ledan, Leslie Lew, Marcus Glenn, Scotts Jacobs, Romero Britto, Alexander Chen, and Linda Lekinff.

In addition to being a great place to work, Park West Gallery is also involved with many charitable and community events. I am proud to say that we have not only donated works of art but have also assisted, attended or volunteered at various events for Camillus House,
    New World Symphony, United Way, Children’s Bereavement Center, Facing it Together, Community Habilitation Center and Town of Miami Lakes to name a few.

Park West Gallery is beyond a doubt a very pleasant, family friendly company with a sense of comradery and team spirit unlike any other I’ve ever experienced.

Cons

Most people who begin a career with Park West Gallery usually stay for a while. The down side to that is it may take a while to advance.

Life changing adventure

Current Employee - Art Auctioneer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Art Auctioneer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for Park West was really an extremely important part of my life.  It taught me unbelievable skills.  No univerity or college could have taught me these valuable lessons.  Imagine, becoming an art expert, a professional auctioneer and making sure that marketing and sales is always top shelf.  From meeting super famous artists, to connecting with fantastic  guests and visiting exotic ports around the world...One definitely has to love people.  It really is all about making amazing connections.  Not only did I have the chance to see the world, but I also spent 9 years of becoming a top international art auctioneer.  I would recommend this to anyone who is driven, motivated and ready for life changing experiences.

Cons

Sometimes being at sea for long periods of time, one misses your family...but hey...then there is skype.  Sea days are long hours, however, port days makes up for it in a big way.

Park West Gallery Photos

One of our training classes
Art Gallery onboard the Carnival Inspiration
One of the several cruise ships we operate on

+ Add Photo