Parker Drilling Reviews

26 reviews filtered by
3.1
Parker Drilling CEO Gary Rich
Gary Rich

1. Challenging but great work environment.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best reasons to work here is the flexibility and understanding.

Cons

Some lack of communication at times.

Maybe employee development should be a little more of the focus.

2. Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling

Pros

Being employed is the only pro. Having a place to report.

Cons

Low wages, high turnover, management not concerned with employees, do not communicate, no performance reviews unless they are trying to fire someone, I have seen some corrupt actions in a short period of time. Awful

Listen to employees and care about them.

3. Very professional and cooperative personnel. True asset.

Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility when necessary is allowed, the main thing is to get job done as expected.

Cons

None that I know of, I mean that will keep me from recommending Parker Drilling.

90% of personnel is very loyal to the company. Please look better after them!

5. High Turnover

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Salary/Benefit package is a bit below market but okay. Pay 100% for van pools which is better than many companies. Location in Greenway Plaza is nice as it is close to so many restaurants and near downtown and the galleria.

Cons

Bonuses are minimal except for upper management and those that negotiate prior to accepting an offer. Most employees have either been there well over 10 years or under 2 years. The gap is due to very high turnover. Employees don't seem to stay very long and PKD is famous for firing employees constantly. There are little to no procedures in place and since most of the employees are new, there is a lot of chaos and confusion. HR has the highest turnover so don't look to them for guidance.

Value your employees and invest in them. Training and team building go a long way. Stop the bleeding and try to retain your employees so that you're not having constant turnover which is very costly to the company.

6. Great company to start out with and gain experience. They hire a lot of new roustabouts.

Former Employee - Floorhand I in New Iberia, LA
    Former Employee - Floorhand I in New Iberia, LA

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

14 on/14 off rotations. As of 2014... Roustabouts make $17.35, Floorhand 2 - $19.50, and Floorhand 1 - $21.70. Great insurance.

Cons

Inland barge rigs. Don't make as much as you would offshore. Older equipment.

A leader needs to be able to motivate their employees. When you've earned the respect of your hands they will go the extra mile. The work environment is way too negative. That is the number one reason people quit.

An enjoyable work experience with a company that is expanding world wide.

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people, experience and the knowledge that you can gather working here.

Cons

Not being able to advance.

Give employees the chance to show you what they can do an the opportunity to learn new things to help the team and themselves.

8. Nice work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good work-life balance. Nice family oriented culture. Nice co-workers. Good learning opportunities. It was a good experience to work for PKD.

Cons

Not many growth opportunities. Many changes and some rotation just because the industry is booming. Management is busy doing their thing and not really paying attention to the lower structure. They have cancelled nice perks they were giving.

Listen more to the needs of your employees. Employees eager to grow and take more responsibilities/challenges.

9. Hard lesson learned

Former Employee - Payroll in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great location. Paid parking. Food court.

Cons

If you're not part of the In Crowd, they'll get rid of you. A lot of favoritism. They have no processes and a lot of inconsistencies. Not up to date with technology.

Send your managers to Supervisory training and how to treat employees classes. People skills and employee retention.

A lot of politics that go on in this establishment. Manager's behavior is even unthinkable & appalling.

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of even one.

Cons

A lot of gossip and no ownership or accountability for any of the unprofessional unlawful behavior.
     Benefits are worthless, & you work like a dog while not being appreciated.

Long hours, weekends, & from home and still have to put up with garbage at the office. Biggest turn over I've ever seen and continue seeing. It is definitely not the Parker Drilling it used to be. *WARNING* run and run fast from this place. Thankfully the job market is too good to be stuck here. Actively looking and would never recommend this company. They're cheap and don't value their employees at all. They've lost sight of everything important and the morale here is pitiful.
    Stop subjecting a company to such unlawful behavior and retrain your people who hold such titles as 'managers/supervisors'...While many are afraid of retaliation. HR is completely clueless of all the mess that really goes on in the departments, it's sad. They're very disconnected. Company had been falling apart.

Parker Drilling Response

Sep 29, 2014Global Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us through Glassdoor. We are sad to learn that you have not had a positive experience during your time with us at Parker Drilling, and we ... More

11. Not easy but worth it

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time

Pros

There was god opportunity for advancement. It was a small company, so you could experience more.

Cons

Limited workspace and lots of overtime. There was always an expectation that when you left you were available to work from home. If you were working for the right person, the opportunity for advancement was there but there was no official review program so hard to make it unless part of the in-crowd. Small company trying to be bigger so seemed to be slowly forgetting about the importance of keeping its people happy.

Parker Drilling Photos