Parker Drilling

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015

Parker Drilling CEO Gary Rich
Gary Rich

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling

Pros

Being employed is the only pro. Having a place to report.

Cons

Low wages, high turnover, management not concerned with employees, do not communicate, no performance reviews unless they are trying to fire someone, I have seen some corrupt actions in a short period of time. Awful

Listen to employees and care about them.

Hard lesson learned

Former Employee - Payroll in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great location. Paid parking. Food court.

Cons

If you're not part of the In Crowd, they'll get rid of you. A lot of favoritism. They have no processes and a lot of inconsistencies. Not up to date with technology.

Send your managers to Supervisory training and how to treat employees classes. People skills and employee retention.

A lot of politics that go on in this establishment. Manager's behavior is even unthinkable & appalling.

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Houston, TX

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of even one.

Cons

A lot of gossip and no ownership or accountability for any of the unprofessional unlawful behavior.
     Benefits are worthless, & you work like a dog while not being appreciated.

Long hours, weekends, & from home and still have to put up with garbage at the office. Biggest turn over I've ever seen and continue seeing. It is definitely not the Parker Drilling it used to be. *WARNING* run and run fast from this place. Thankfully the job market is too good to be stuck here. Actively looking and would never recommend this company. They're cheap and don't value their employees at all. They've lost sight of everything important and the morale here is pitiful.
    Stop subjecting a company to such unlawful behavior and retrain your people who hold such titles as 'managers/supervisors'...While many are afraid of retaliation. HR is completely clueless of all the mess that really goes on in the departments, it's sad. They're very disconnected. Company had been falling apart.

Parker Drilling Response

Sep 29, 2014Global Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us through Glassdoor. We are sad to learn that you have not had a positive experience during your time with us at Parker Drilling, and we ... More

If McDonalds is hiring choose wisely, at least McDonalds can pay correct

Current Employee - On A Rig
    Current Employee - On A Rig

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NONE that I can think of

Cons

Pathetic leadership, Human Resources team is worthless, old equipment, lack of safety concerns for its employees, no one is a long term employee any longer, below average pay, below average benefits, payroll cant get checks right, you can be told in country you have been promoted but never see a pay adjustment as promised and if you do, its nothing but attitude form the so called HR payroll group.

Parker Drilling Response

Sep 2, 2014Global Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your views on Glassdoor. We would like to work with you to understand the payroll adjustment you have mentioned, and resolve that issue. Please contact me at ... More

Louisianans don't mix well with normal people-if you're not in their clique, forget having a good experience

Former Employee - VFD Electrician in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - VFD Electrician in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the pay is good, some of management is made up of good people

Cons

a lot of backstabbing and dishonesty, people climbing over other people, favoritism shown by management to family who also work there, incompetence and arrogance

If you are going to do a construction project, don't manage that project with unqualified Parker employees just to keep it in the family, you wouldn't be getting sued by BP right now if you had left the construction of the AADU project to QUALIFIED management teams

Try to avoid, if you can.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Parker Drilling

Pros

Pay is ok.
    Free Food.

Cons

No direction.
    No room to grow at all.
    Several Senior Analyst without degrees, so good luck to you.
    Try to avoid, could be a worst decision of ones life.

Step up your game, and provide respect. Respect is a two way streak!

High Turnover

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Salary/Benefit package is a bit below market but okay. Pay 100% for van pools which is better than many companies. Location in Greenway Plaza is nice as it is close to so many restaurants and near downtown and the galleria.

Cons

Bonuses are minimal except for upper management and those that negotiate prior to accepting an offer. Most employees have either been there well over 10 years or under 2 years. The gap is due to very high turnover. Employees don't seem to stay very long and PKD is famous for firing employees constantly. There are little to no procedures in place and since most of the employees are new, there is a lot of chaos and confusion. HR has the highest turnover so don't look to them for guidance.

Value your employees and invest in them. Training and team building go a long way. Stop the bleeding and try to retain your employees so that you're not having constant turnover which is very costly to the company.

great start out job

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they have very good cooking

Cons

it is a low paying company

Parker used to be a good company.

I worked at Parker Drilling

Pros

Flex time available. Payroll is knowledgeable. Legal has some good people. Help-desk is helpful. Compliance is watchful. Safety is a priority.

Cons

Stock price has not risen in years, everything senior management has tried seems to go south, raises and bonuses promised but not delivered in 2-3 years, starting salaries low. There seems to be a "If you don't like it, then leave mentality." Slim-to-no chance of promotion and no career path available.

Promote from within instead of constantly bringing in new people. Chart out career paths and encourage everyone to educate themselves. Stop rewarding upper management for its inept decisions. Deliver on your promises or more good people will leave.

Great company to start out with and gain experience. They hire a lot of new roustabouts.

Former Employee - Floorhand I in New Iberia, LA
    Former Employee - Floorhand I in New Iberia, LA

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

14 on/14 off rotations. As of 2014... Roustabouts make $17.35, Floorhand 2 - $19.50, and Floorhand 1 - $21.70. Great insurance.

Cons

Inland barge rigs. Don't make as much as you would offshore. Older equipment.

A leader needs to be able to motivate their employees. When you've earned the respect of your hands they will go the extra mile. The work environment is way too negative. That is the number one reason people quit.

Parker Drilling Photos