Parker Hannifin

Parker Hannifin Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Parker Hannifin Chairman, President, and CEO Don Washkewicz

Don Washkewicz

Pros
  • They need good benefits because everyone hates to work here(in 16 reviews)

• Decent, safety conscious company with fairly good pay and benefits(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's interesting to see all upper management with huge years of employment at Parker(in 12 reviews)

• Mixed priorities may be frustrating at times(in 4 reviews)

Good team. Nice place to work

ProsGood Team. Good compensation. Good work-life balance.

ConsGrowth opportunities are very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Typical Corporate

Pros- Good development/promotional opportunities if you are able to relocate often.
    - Individuals are typically trying their hardest.
    - Decentralized: very entrepreneurial environment

Cons- Always about the numbers and pleasing the shareholders.
    - Decentralized: not enough resources

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider taking a hit on the cash flow to make sure your satellite facilities REALLY have the support they need to sustain all of the programs you are having them roll out.

It is a good place to work while living in the central valley

Training Specialist (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsThe culture and people make it enjoyable. It does well, and has good products. The stock always does well.

ConsThe pay is average at best. There rather have experience than education. There are a lot of dead-end jobs. You have to sit and wait for people to retire in order to move up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood people, opportunities, good place to get experience.

ConsPoor discipline and team communication across departments.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

And the layoffs just keep on coming!

Quality (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsI enjoyed some of my assignments at Parker. I was paid ok and the benefits were not bad.I learned some technical skills that will help me in the future. Some of my coworkers (fellow EEs) were good people.

ConsIts funny how Parker desensitizes itself from it's employees. At Parker you are not an Employee or a Coworker or an Associate. You are an "EE" or "Headcount" or "EE to Sales Number" or a "Self Selector". The joke at this Parker location is that the place is so great that you will "end your career here"! And that's a very true statement for a lot of people!!! Some careers have been ended there for sure. There are three categories of employees (EE's) at this location; 1) Employees that are on the Parker fast track or are someones pet at the Div or Group level. 2) Employees that are subject to RIF (aka: reduction in force) at any time. 3) Employees that are classified "self selectors". If your not a "yes man" to Parker mgt, braggert, self purported know-it-all or a bulley you are just an "EE" subject to "RIF" on any given Friday. If you keep your head down and stay below tree level you are an "EE to sales ratio" work mule. If you quit for any reason you are a "Self Selector" and are considered persona non grata and basically become the person that people can cast blame towards since you are gone! I have never been so personally dehumanized as I was at Parker in Anaheim. My association with the organization may have tarnished my career and I have to live with that for a long time. And the place is a sweat shop in the summer. Mgt sits upstairs or down in the AC all day and it's rare to see any of them. You might see some of them running to the morning meeting. God help us if we were not at the morning meeting. And they are all running for the door at 3pm! They say they come it at 6am so they can leave early? LOL. This division does NOT understand the difference between a business plan, short term operations metrics, long term planning and lean manufacturing. They roll it all together into a cluster of boards (for show) and waste a tremendous amount of time only to fail. Short term metrics belong at the operations level to monitor and evaluate efficiencies (OEE), quality levels and overall plant floor performance. The division staff should be executing a business plan that involves interface with customers and participating in our customers market space.But they are caught up in fire fighting and the operational metrics of the business and dedicate a minority amount of their time to customer facing efforts. There needs to be a traditional business plan in place and some accountability to executing said business plan. Running the business on short term operational goals and metrics is like driving and watching the rear view mirror. You can only see where you have been. There needs to be "someone" looking forward (business plan) and the metrics become the accountability for the business plan execution, or lack thereof. I have seen division staff running to the morning meeting, packing in shipping, getting caught up in various lean and operational activities, etc. Its like everyone is in operations and weighted down to these short term metrics. I often felt as if we were forcing our customers to accept what we had to offer? Like we were making pink shoes in 8 weeks and the market was demanding red shoes in 3 weeks. We always were one tooth on the cog out of time with customer expectations. But I was a nobody and not in a position to really change anything. I just have my personal observations.

While my review may seem harsh, its just my own feelings and observations. CAUTION: beware of FAKE reviews on this site that are being posted by certain employees (EEs) and HR people. These are not unbiased and honest opinions, which Glassdoor is all about. You can spot these FAKE and PLANTED reviews as they are all titled in the same way "Great atmosphere" - "Well managed and many advancement opportunities" - "Like a family" - "Great team spirit", etc. Read ALL the reviews (220+) for this company to get a good feel for the balance of the reviews (good and bad) and make your assessment if this company is right for you. There is no question that there are pockets within Parker where someone could fit in well and be challenged and enjoy coming into work each day. This review is just my opinion and how I felt. Others may have had a better experience. Read ALL the reviews and you'll know what questions to ask and what to look for when considering a position at Parker.

Advice to Senior ManagementParker Corporate Mgt in Cleveland and Div Mgt in Anaheim: 3 comments.
    1) TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES AS YOU WOULD LIKE THEM TO TREAT YOUR TOP 10 CUSTOMERS-THIS WILL LEAD TO BOTH HAPPY EMPLOYEES AND HAPPY CUSTOMERS. 2) GIVE SOMETHING BACK-PARTICIPATE IN THE MARKETS YOUR TOP 10 CUSTOMERS ARE IN. STOP TREATING CUSTOMERS AS A SALES NUMBER ON A REPORT. 3) INVEST IN THE FUTURE AND SUCCESS OF THE DIVISION BY ALIGNING WITH CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS AND THE MARKET. THIS REQUIRES LONG TERM VISION AND RELATIONSHIPS WITH CUSTOMERS. NOT SHORT TERM OPERATIONS METRICS AT THE BUSINESS PLAN LEVEL. (Organizations that do not embrace these fundamentals are considered old school and soon find it difficult to maintain relevance with customers and employees) I hope my advice is taken in the spirit in which it is intended. Best of luck to everyone at Parker MSD.

Isn't too bad

Warehouse Staff (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGood 401k, health insurance, profit sharing (after 1 year)

ConsPoor upper management, worse supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on actually following through with ideas down the chain to the floor. There are MANY areas of disconnect where action is derailed

How to ???

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsSSD Drives Division makes a good AC / DC motor drive product. The cooperation of the division level engineering staff is super.

ConsThe con here is Parker management. Parker management has the vision of selling through distribution. SSD Drives name was built on customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to customer service. OK to sell through distribution, allow for more flexibility. SSD needs their own sales force, not a Parker sales that can sell anything from hydraulic valves, to pneumatic hoses, to precision cooling and AC/DC drives.

Parker is a stable company but slow to change.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsParker provides alternative benefits coverage and also has on-site services at some locations. Some locations offer AWS. If you show promise early in your career then internal growth opportunities are available more quickly. Employees who leave often return to Parker in different roles for higher pay.

ConsParker is very conservative and slow to change. Some systems are old or home grown and transitioning to newer ones is a slow process. Parker's management is more reactive to situations and does not seem to be able to clearly communicate the vision. The culture used to have a family oriented feel where the employee was valued but that has changed. Now employees work long hours with constantly changing demands and little appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Make efforts to be more proactive. Communicate clearly and honestly. Stop making unreasonable demands on your employees. Focus on more employee development.

Pretty good paying job.

Material Handler (Former Employee) Greeneville, TN

ProsThe pay and benefits was the best part.

ConsThis company is a company that if you suck up you can move up. If gourmet don't tell on people and try to make them look bad you will not move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't listen to all the gossip cause most of it is untrue.

No thank you!

College Program (Former Employee) Otsego, MI

ProsFresh out of high school it is hard to find a job that would pay better and give you full time hours.

ConsI participated in the summer program for college students. It was terrible. I was told I would be in the de-burring area but was actually thrown from area to area depending on what was needed. This ended up being anything from weighing and boxing parts and cleaning restrooms to monitoring the machines. When I was on the machines the men back there called me princess, they had no respect at all for a young woman trying to earn decent money.

My employment ended with Parker when I got sick one night from a new bathroom floor cleaner they started using. It made me very ill to the point of vomiting and nearly passing out. I had to go home. When I came back in the next day I still felt nauseous so asked to be in a cooler area (I worked third shift so as long as I wasn't on a machine I would be ok). My supervisor put me in de-burring and a half hour later I was told to go home, don't come back until I was contacted. The next day I was informed I was terminated because I didn't listen to my superiors. What?!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take your hard working employees for granted. Especially the ones you are paying half as much as your full time permanent employees.

Worked for Parker Hannifin? Contribute to the Community!