Parkland Health & Hospital System

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Frederick P. Cerise, MD, MPH

Pros
  • Working to take care of patients' needs (in 4 reviews)

• alot of educational opportunities, and good pay (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really not interest in letting Staff RN's be a part of the decision making process (in 5 reviews)

• expensive parking and poor management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been positive for the majority of my time here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

High Energy environment, there is always room for improvement, take ownership of what you do.

Cons

You must be highly motivated self starter who is willing to go the extra mile to find out what you don't know. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!

Keep up the good work! Continue to drive change and improve our process driven environment.

Pays well- but after that, not much to be desired

Current Employee - Business Analyst I  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst I in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good pay, new leadership, new hospital to open up soon

Cons

Can't leave campus for lunch, and the cafeteria here is awful. Promotions are non existent- you have to hop around within Parkland. They start you off with 4 weeks of 'vacation' but force you to use vacation for holidays- ie Christmas, New Years, MLK day, July 4th, etc. so your starting PTO time is closer to two weeks. Good work-life balance though- very rarely work extra hours.

Case Manager

Current Employee - RN Case Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great job--taking care of people

Cons

have to clock in and out. Not exempt.

management knows about clocking in but due to past problems--this is on hold.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The political polarity present at Parkland suffocates much of the ability to move forward.

Pros

The majority of the staff at Parkland understand exactly what they have to do and why. There is a sense of value present in achieving the level of patient care that is delivered.

Cons

While the mission should be clear and consistent, the sense of community one would expect to exist is stifled by political struggle.

Set a target and aim for it. Show how each and every goal is cumulative and required.

Love this place

Current Employee - Women's Health Educator  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Women's Health Educator in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great benefits
    Great Hours
    Pay is competitive

Cons

We need better merit increase other than 2%

Terrible management, great coworkers.

Current Employee - RN III  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - RN III in Dallas, TX

Pros

Nurses, physicians and support staff work well together on the front line of patient care in spite of primarily incompetent management. The pay is decent. You have an opportunity to experience medical conditions you won't see at a private hospital. I enjoyed working with medical residents and students.

Cons

Management. The entire system still needs an overhaul. Passing the survey was a miracle and should not indicate that day to day management has improved because it has not.

Retraining has not worked on management. They now use fancy terminology but it has not translated to actions.

It's Work

Current Employee - MAS  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - MAS in Dallas, TX

Pros

Benefits
    Security
    Room for Advancement
    Nice people
    Patients are awesome

Cons

No communication
    No accountability
    Slow progression
    Always asking for money (donations) from employees
    Upper management always gets raises exceeding cost of living, while the lower staff receive up to 2.5%

Hire individuals who are skilled, not just because they have degrees.

The lands

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dallas, TX

Pros

Working here defiantly leads to VERY good job experience. It is county so caring for the patient population that we do is very rewarding. The new hospital is really something to look forward to. The benefits are better than most.

Cons

Pay doesn't seem to be too competitive. 3 year contracts for residency positions even if you have been an employee for a while. And with any job there is always politics; here they are seemingly higher than ever especially with the all the negativity surrounding the recent CMS investigations. Even if the hospital did pass....

So far so good

Pros

I enjoy my role, and the population I work with

Cons

Biggest con is the PTO. I work day hours at a clinic and it's closed weekends and holidays. Bad part is we have to use our pto to be paid on the holidays were closed

If you love being busy....you'll love Parkland

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Busy (which makes the day go by fast and keeps you on your toes)
    Education is great, you're always learning something new. The RN residency/fellowship programs are excellent.
    You work with the patients who need the most love and care, which makes the job much more rewarding
    Coworkers are great.
    Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Changes are constantly happening and it can be hard to keep up with them.
    Stress.
    Communication can be lacking at times.
    Politics/Corruption
    Management: Not sure if they are always the most qualified for the position. College degrees and years of experience don't always translate into a functional, supportive, strong, and most importantly, HONEST leader. The truth is, I have never trusted any of my managers or medical directors. This point is the reason why I ever contemplate leaving this organization. But I love my job and the people I serve, so I stay.

The best "manager" I had was actually a charge nurse. She could coordinate and assist like no other manager I have ever had. She was not afraid to roll up her sleeves and took one for the team any time. She took care of us so we could take care of our patients. She ate last. She left last. And she did it with a smile on her face and made us laugh all twelve hours of the grind. In fact, all of us nurses would fight to sign up on the schedule the days she was there because we knew if she was there, we were going to have a a good day no matter how crazy it would get. She would give us constructive criticism by asking us how we felt about our performance first. Then she would give her suggestions. She did not give orders. She showed us the expectations of our job and set the bar. She did not expect us to do anything that she either could not or was not willing to do. She told us thank you when we could or couldn't get the job done. And she never threw us under the bus to save her own skin. We all took responsibility for ourselves and each other. Patient's loved her. We loved her. She had our loyalty because we had hers.
    Her style was proactive and action oriented. It was managing style that was dynamic. And the results showed every day she worked with us.

Find more people with that kind of character and let them take the lead. And build on that culture and environment. New Parkland is coming...and this is the kind of leadership you're going to need to run it. Otherwise, you've wasted your time and our taxpayers' money.

Worked for Parkland Health & Hospital System? Contribute to the Community!