Parkview Health

Excellent Organization That Just Needs a Few Tweaks

Current Employee - Director  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Director in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Parkview Health part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very good CEO leadership--I hope he stays for another 10 years. Lots of financial strength, which is needed in health care if you want a stable work environment. By far the dominant provider in its region, although there is a significant for-profit competitor, Lutheran Health. Has invested in a new legacy facility that should last 50-75 years, invested in a large, growing medical group and in a great IT system, EPIC.

Cons

Benefits are average to slightly below average for the area, but the health plan sucks. It used to be the best health plan in town, but due to the inability of their staff to manage utilization and cost trends, they have merely shifted the costs to employees by reducing benefits. It is totally avoidable and could be turned around in a year with good management.

Parkview's greatest opportunity and greatest risk is its employed physician group. The group lacks a culture and common set of values and is a medical group only in structure. Much of the fault lies with the current physician leadership at Parkview, from the chief medical officer on down. They lack vision and the ability to act strategically. Getting a handle on this issue is the key to the organization's future success.

Parkview is rife with silos. It allow weak managers to exist and appear successful. The senior leadership team is largely better than average, but many of the middle managers are weak. Parkview doesn't do a good job of providing continuing education to employees, especially in terms of management skills. It also tends to hire almost entirely from within or from the immediate area. Management could definitely use some new blood. My last manager was so AWOL from the job that they spent only 10 minutes face-to-face with me in the 18 months I spent in the position and ghost-wrote my performance review without any involvement with me!

Focus, focus, focus on getting your physician group in order. Nothing will be more important for the long-term success of the organization.

Beef up your management training and actively recruit outside talent to improve the performance of your middle managers.

Overall okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntington, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, IN

I worked at Parkview Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, nice people. When I worked at Parkview I had an overall positive experience my co workers were all very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Pay for non-medical workers not that great. When working with other departments, it can be difficult do coordinate efforts effectively. Kind of traditional culture.

Friendly Co-Workers

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Parkview Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

only working three days, people I work with

Cons

pay, shift times, no life outside of work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Honest Company

I have been working at Parkview Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Honest Company that loves their employees! Good work/life balance and very good with family life

Cons

Cannot think of anything really. Honestly they are a hardworking company that loves their employees.

Overall excellent

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Parkview Health for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent organization. Focus is on quality and the community. Decent benefit package despite lackluster healthcare benefits. Best organization I have ever worked for in healthcare.

Cons

Organizational silos still exist. Some are more concerned with themselves versus moving the organization forward. Emphasis needs to be on removing the silos.

Don't be afraid to remove those in power who are hindering the organization from moving forward. Not addressing those who need to move on causes disengagement and loss of momentum towards organizational advancement not to mention employees.

great employer

I have been working at Parkview Health full-time

Pros

Parkview cares a lot about their employees and the community and the CEO is an amazing person. Good benefits.

Cons

Not much to say here.

For the area, best hospital to work for.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Parkview Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible hours, multiple positions for either lateral movement or advancement, willing to train in almost any specialty or certification for RN's

Cons

Poor sick time and holiday policy, average health insurance policy, parking for employees (at main hospital) is very limited, no incentives in pay for higher degrees/certifications, low staff levels for high patient to RN ratio

increase or improve the health benefits, have a better holiday policy, and have pay differences for education

Poor management

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Parkview Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn to deal with very bad management.

Cons

Floor staff do not feel valued or respected. Management demands we provide excellent care to our patients (which is a good thing) but don't give us the resources or autonomy to do so. The relationship between staff and management in the building I work in is very poor. staff morale is low, staff dissatisfaction is high. The demands on the floor staff are sometimes unrealistic and borderline dangerous. Nurses are given up to 15 patients each at times and forced to work up to 16 hours in a row.

Listen to your employees. Treat them in the same manner that you would have liked to have been treated when you were a member of the floor staff.

Great company

I worked at Parkview Health

Pros

Good training, clear expectations, interesting job

Cons

It was a boring job, low pay, you were responsible for a lot of data, but got paid the least

Run away as fast as you can

I have been working at Parkview Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Horrible working conditions, their employee insurance is a racket, guilty of continued wage theft.

You need to value the people who do the work more than you value management

Worked for Parkview Health? Contribute to the Community!