Parkway School District

Parkway School District Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
4.5
CEO

1. A wonderful place to work.

I have been working at Parkway School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The district has great benefits.

Cons

The district is currently going through budget cuts.

2. Great school district...strong salaries...plenty of opportunity for training

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Ballwin, MO

I worked at Parkway School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parkway School District has an excellent reputation and is considered to be one of the best school districts in the St. Louis region. Parkway's demographics are relatively diverse and the district aspires to meet the needs of all members of its community by making sure they offer teacher training and inservices. The district offers strong curricular supports such as instructional coaches and mentoring programs. Higher education is valued and the district reimburses for a certain number of approved college credits per year towards acquisition of a Masters or a Masters +30. Additionally, the district's salary schedule provides for salary compensation as those hours accrue. A strong benefits package with options is provided.

Cons

Parkway is a huge district...18 elementary schools, five middle schools, four large high schools and one alternative high school. If you are looking forward to working in a more intimate district where everyone knows one another, Parkway would not be that place. Because running a large machine is often more complicated, large scale changes to curriculum, report cards, technology, etc can often pose challenges and headaches for all involved.

Advice to Management

Consider piloting new programs to get the "bugs" out first. Forcing a change too quickly only causes undue stress.

Overly focused on naturally high achieving learners.

I worked at Parkway School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Parkway is elite among public schools. They serve of population who is of a professional background and accustomed to a certain standard. Teachers are accustomed to unlimited sick days and so are the students.

Cons

The unlimited sick days are very atypical to most work places and would seem to diminish their readiness for transition into college or career options but some families in the community have been habituated to this practice and are offended when one would suggest a vacation mid school year is not in the better interests of the students. Those students who are more challenged often express that there is little connection with the administration and general education staff. There is a huge focus on college readiness but little to prepare learners for the workplace; leaving little prospect for diversely abled students.

Advice to Management

There really needs to be genuine attention to the diverse abilities and socio-economic status that is growing in the region. There is just too much internal 'drama' within the staff; overly 'cliquey' for a professional workplace that diminishes the longer term potential impact persons who are genuinely concerned for students may otherwise have with these valuable kiddos.

5. Great School District

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Parkway School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical Insurance is excellent--no longer free--a reasonable amount is deducted from pay

Cons

cutting the budget =surprise termination of some long term and new positions

6. It has been very beneficial toward my career.

Current Employee - Plan Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Plan Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Parkway School District

Pros

There are multiple opportunities to work with students to build teaching skills. The staff is very professional, and the principal I work for sets a very nice environment for the school.

Cons

In my position (Teaching Assistant), there is only so much control I have over my school day and the decisions I get to make. However, I knew that going in.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep on keeping on. My experience has been a very positive one, and I can only hope to continue w/ a certified position for next year.

7. Great people

I have been working at Parkway School District

Pros

Parkway is committed to continued training and support of its employees. They are always looking forward to the next success.

Cons

As with most companies now, Parkway is trying to balance their fiscal responsibilities with what is best for children. Tricky to do.

Advice to Management

Please continue to best supportive of your staff as well as the needs of children and families. Thank you for offering a private school education on a public school budget!