Parragon Books

parragon.com

Parragon Books Reviews

2.2

Wendy Friedman

Good experience overall despite all the craziness.

I worked at Parragon Books full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was exciting work. Challenging and a great opportunity to learn if you are willing to work hard and put in long hours. Some of the books are great. Rest are just rehashed stale material that's difficult to sell. Colleagues are competitive but fun especially if you enjoy loads of beer and partying!

Cons

The place is short-staffed. Everyone's overworked. The work is chaotic and unplanned and the pay could definitely be better. Long work hours and very stressful.

Clearer vision and better brief to the team would help improve team performance and reduce stress.

No regard for its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Parragon Books full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- medical all paid for.

Cons

- need to request days off 6 months in advance.
    -abusive treatment of employees.
    -upper management has free range and HR turns a blind eye.
    -low pay
    -overworked, bad managers

- get new management

really neat

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Parragon Books

Pros

there are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots (many) of books

Cons

sometimes you have to get into a car (auto) in order to go through a tunnel that takes you to New Jersey

Have more meetings in the office so that people don't have to get into a car (auto) and drive to New Jersey

Just be careful

I worked at Parragon Books full-time

Pros

The benefits are good - 4 wks vacation and fully paid insurance. And if you are part of the "in" crowd (in with upper management), you will love your job. You will get unlimited perks and free clothes and basically be able to do whatever you want. Some people have a home there for life - or at least the life of the company.

Cons

If you are NOT part of the "inner circle," you're pretty much an unperson. There is a great deal of micro-management, which comes from the very top. You are expected to give 60-days notice for even one vacation day. When I worked there, one of the upper level employees smoked in his or her office, and although there were air filters, the entire place reeked of smoke. I don't know if this is still going on.
    Basically, there is a real culture of "us" vs. "them" - the inner circle of those beloved by upper management, and then the losers who are kind of treated like slaves. The inner circle is not subject to that 60-day notice rule, for example. There's a revolving door among those NOT in the inner circle, so it's pretty easy to tell who is who.

I have plenty of advice, but I think that the problems are mostly down to the management style, and they go all the way to the top. How can you tell a whole company, "stop micromanaging?" Just as easy to say, "Stop being crazy." Nobody can plan vacation days 60 days in advance, that rule is ridiculous.
    I guess - try to treat everyone equally? Or at least try not to be so obvious about favoring the favorites.