Parson Consulting

Updated May 20, 2014
3.1

Chiheb Mahjoub

Well Organized

Current Employee - Project Control Assistant in Doha (Qatar)
    Current Employee - Project Control Assistant in Doha (Qatar)

I have been working at Parson Consulting (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Growth is Constant. Training in every required field is provided regularly.

Cons

Office Environment very well versed with highly qualified with professionals.

Compensation or Benefits should be provided according to the company standards.

Inept Management, no clear direction, corporate identity crisis

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Parson Consulting

Pros

If you can kiss the right upper management's bum, you may be compensated well however your stay will be short lived.

Cons

Inept Management, no clear direction, corporate identity crisis. Managing Partners have hired management that don't understand a consulting business, have no desire to engage directly as client advocates, and will blame the subordinates unfairly and unnecessarily. Don't bother...

Reduce the top heavy structure and get people that enjoy being consultants and client advocates. Engage directly with clients and understand the business needs and communicate the message appropriately throughout the organization and back to the clients.

Good place to start your career

Former Employee - Engagement Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engagement Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Parson Consulting

Pros

I enjoyed working for Parson as a consulting firm the know what they are doing, they have very competent and friendly, but these are their key assest which they need to learn how to hold on and value

Cons

Pay in relation to position and other companies in the same industry

Spread out the tasks, too many issues were held on to senior management and there was very few at the top, enpower engagement Directors

Great place to make some good money...but not grow your career

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Parson Consulting

Pros

Very intelligent peers that often come from top-tier consulting firms. Great alumni network.

Cons

Be very careful when thinking about taking any sort of leave. I was laid off on the FIRST DAY of taking FMLA leave to take care of my new daughter, despite being higher rated, having a higher billable hours % (the holy grail in consulting) and having a better project pipeline than my peers! I decided to take the hush-money/severance rather than pursue legal action, but would have had a hell of a case. Not only was I beat up by management when I requested to take leave, but was continually harassed by my manager in the weeks leading up to my leave. And the kicker - I am a man ! It's horrible that management there believe men shouldn't be able to take time off to take care of their new kids.

Get over yourselves and your egos, and remember that the people under you are there to build the firm and in turn make you money, not play your games and kiss your ass.

Parsons is a good steady job but be prepared to live in Pasadena for any career advancement

I have been working at Parson Consulting

Pros

Parsons generally has a flexible work/life schedule but there are times of very high demand during project deadlines and lulls where employees are scrambling for work. Benefits are decent but have steadily declined over the last 2 years with 401K and Stock Option plans having a 'Cap'.

Cons

Management is very disorganized as employees have to report to multiple managers. Project managers provide day to day work and 'functional managers' keep track of your mandatory, unpaid safety training along with giving yearly reviews. Some employees only speak once per year with their functional managers; during yearly reviews.

The good and the bad

I worked at Parson Consulting

Pros

focus on spending time with high level lexecutives (prospects/clients)

Cons

too much of a big 4 Partner mentality but with nothing to back it up
    sub-optimal pay plan

too late - it was sold to Ineum; hopefully they have determined best course of action...

Good medium size company

Current Employee - Senior in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Parson Consulting

Pros

Entrepreneurial, medium size, flat structure

Cons

Senior Management is not proven

Set realistic growth targets and focus more on what we are good at.