Parsons Brinckerhoff

Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Parsons Brinckerhoff CEO and Director George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Pros
  • if you get a great manager they are very supporting of work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• There are some great people there but most of them are leaving (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not connected to work being performed "in the trenches" (in 16 reviews)

• No work life balance and no satisfaction in terms of employee's welfare (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be far better, but these years are long gone.....

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company name well known in the industry - that gives you easier path to get hired by others....There are some young, bright, talented people working for the company.....

Cons

Total lack of corporate vision and direction - when old guys left, "new" management never got grip on business; company keeps high cost senior staff forever - resulting high overhead makes company less competitive; who you know matters more than what you know and how hard you work; constant reorganization - often one doesn't know who he/she is working for; no relation between business units- they would rather hire from outside than transfer existing staff that doesn't have an assignment;

They know everything anyway, so they don't need me to tell them anything.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits: Are good

Commute: Metro accessible (many stations near by)
    Senior Executives: Greater to work with vs lower level managers

Cons

-Training was inconsistent

-Some managers showed more concern for people who actually bring in the money like engineers, consultants, etc.

-Lack of communication from and within management.

-No universal office structure (ex: DC not like Corporate office with standards, etc.)

Show more interest in employee morale by having more meaningful in person meetings with them.

Employees were left out of the loop a lot unless they were senior managers. Some information is pertinent to an employee's performance and there are just some things that they need to be made aware of.

management

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are an engineer, a lot of career development opportunities, mentoring etc.

Cons

Not such a hot place to work if you are not an engineer.

They have just been bought and hopefully the much needed change will happen - starting with a review of senior leadership.

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great local and regional reputation with high standards. Well respected. Opportunities to work on a range of projects and locations.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge due to high profile, fast-track projects and schedules. Lack of retention incentives. Some offices feel a little 'top heavy.'

Strategic consulting and advisory services for A&E firm

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very large organization with international opportunities offering potential experience on most infrastructure projects in the US and the rest of the world. Possess a very good reputation in the US and has close connections with key actors. Some excellent (too few) senior managers and leaders.

Cons

Limited career growth opportunities and no financial incentives for high performers especially for the junior consultants that have left by dozens in the last 24 months. Very bureaucratic and process driven leaving little room for innovation and new ideas. Advisory services are (I feel) intentionally limited / constrained in terms of ambition and business opportunities. The firm number one business is planning and design and does not sufficiently leverage the quality of the advisory practice.

Great Place to Work, but Some Uncertainty

Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really like my job. Good pay and nice benefits. Flexible schedule. Intelligent and friendly co-workers.

Cons

The company has had some trouble with morale after the purchase by Balfour Beatty. Now with the recent sale to WSP, there is tentative optimism that things might improve, but a lot of uncertainty as well.

Do what it takes to attract and hang onto the best. In the four years that I've been here, I've seen many good people leave unnecessarily. Moving the bulk of the NYC staff to Amish country, PA was a huge mistake. It might have saved millions of dollars on paper, but the negative ramifications of that decision continue today.

Lost in a maze of re-organizations

Former Employee - Senior Supervising Planner
    Former Employee - Senior Supervising Planner

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was good, as were benefits. I worked with some of the brightest people I've ever met, most of whom were very generous with their time and expertise.

Cons

I had no support, the organization was dysfunctional, there was low office morale, and there was no trust in the leadership. People lied to my face, After being bought by Balfour Beatty about 5 years ago, it was recently sold to a Canadian firm. so I'm sure the confusion will only get worse.

No long term development

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good projects to work on.

Cons

No commitment to the employee. They will hire to fill a position on a project. No commitment to career development and continued employment. They say they will share work between offices but that is not the case.

Work harder to develop staff. To many overpaid managers. Overhead rate to high. Priced out of may markets. Need to get lean.

Assistant Engineer

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time

Pros

Many projects to work on. Diversity of workload. Junior staff can be off every other Friday although discouraged by Senior Management.

Cons

Salary is below what other leading transportation companies pay. Although this is a "GLOBAL" company, there is really no opportunities to work on projects around the world or in other regions. The possibility of a transfer to other offices in other states is non-existent. It would be easier to get a job with another company than to transfer offices or departments within Parsons Brinckerhoff.

Good culture

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff

Pros

Great place to work and friendly environment.

Cons

A lot of changes due to the sale of the company

Parsons Brinckerhoff Photos